• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mineral Springs (filled - David Bennett)

Started by nsuqb10, December 24, 2016, 03:13:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorbacks48

you honestly think hembree is leaving warren for mineral springs?? okay

COACH-Mike

Quote from: Sick Dog on January 25, 2017, 08:31:16 pm
Will you guys hurry up and hire someone. Dawson isnt coming back to Howard Co. or even close to it. I know yall think that job deserves someone like that but sorry it doesnt. Might want to call back Segrest.
Quote from: ~WPS~ on January 25, 2017, 08:46:40 pm
Segrest is hot on the trail of Bigfoot right now.

Well just what does our job deserve?  At least now 32 good men have expressed interest in this job.  Hopefully we find the right fit for our not so deserving school.  Worm is turning in Mineral.  Excitement is bubbling and this is going to be great.  HUGE SMILE!!!!!! Go Mule Shoe!!!!!!!!!!!

Sick Dog

It deserves someone who will build the program back up and do it the right way. Not a school district or morons from the community who blame the coach for lack of success. Let someone build a program. It isnt going to be done over night. Yall keep thinking a coach is gonna come in a play for a championship regardless of the talent level. Your smile is just a frown turned upside down. Something is wrong because coaches have come and gone last couple of years. If the job was that good, this wouldnt be happening. Coaches who have applied have: been fired from somewhere else, to lazy to mow grass, broke, or have no head coaching experience.

arkansasFBscoop

Quote from: Sick Dog on January 27, 2017, 10:57:54 pm
It deserves someone who will build the program back up and do it the right way. Not a school district or morons from the community who blame the coach for lack of success. Let someone build a program. It isnt going to be done over night. Yall keep thinking a coach is gonna come in a play for a championship regardless of the talent level. Your smile is just a frown turned upside down. Something is wrong because coaches have come and gone last couple of years. If the job was that good, this wouldnt be happening. Coaches who have applied have: been fired from somewhere else, to lazy to mow grass, broke, or have no head coaching experience.

Yeah - pretty confident you're wrong...

COACH-Mike

Quote from: Sick Dog on January 27, 2017, 10:57:54 pm
Quote from: arkansasFBscoop on January 27, 2017, 11:05:02 pm
Yeah - pretty confident you're wrong...
Just gotta look over ignorance.  I know he's wrong.  Won't be long now....... Huge Smile,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Big Country

Any word on who is in the running?

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: Big Country on January 30, 2017, 11:30:17 am
Any word on who is in the running?

Coach Mike knows.....but I'm sure he can't divulge that info.  We will find out soon enough.  I'm betting its a good hire.  Also betting the new coach doesn't fit any of these: been fired from somewhere else, to lazy to mow grass, broke, or have no head coaching experience.

Sick Dog

Bennett from Horatio would be the only one who doesnt fit categories for next Mineral coach. I will add a category of "almost retired" to that list of the next mineral hire.

YouKnowUno

Quote from: BLUEBLOOD on January 30, 2017, 03:42:36 pm
Coach Mike knows.....but I'm sure he can't divulge that info.  We will find out soon enough.  I'm betting its a good hire.  Also betting the new coach doesn't fit any of these: been fired from somewhere else, to lazy to mow grass, broke, or have no head coaching experience.

Why would no head coaching experience be a bad thing, coaches have to get a start somewhere. Small schools have to give a fellow a chance to do something. If not you would never have up and coming coaches.

COACH-Mike

Quote from: Sick Dog on January 30, 2017, 08:45:41 pm
Bennett from Horatio would be the only one who doesnt fit categories for next Mineral coach. I will add a category of "almost retired" to that list of the next mineral hire.
[/quote

I sure HOPE this Sick Dog doesn't have to show us his GLASS house cause he is throwing some stones.

Highcenter

Quote from: COACH-Mike on January 31, 2017, 08:20:41 am
Quote from: Sick Dog on January 30, 2017, 08:45:41 pm

I sure HOPE this Sick Dog doesn't have to show us his GLASS house cause he is throwing some stones.

I see what you did there.

Pat Swilling

now David Bennett would be awesome hire.

Big Country

Quote from: YouKnowUno on January 31, 2017, 08:11:33 am
Why would no head coaching experience be a bad thing, coaches have to get a start somewhere. Small schools have to give a fellow a chance to do something. If not you would never have up and coming coaches.

true statement

Razorbacks48

i guess its still a $100,000,000 question as to who the names are?

bassfisherman999

February 01, 2017, 09:22:17 am #64 Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 04:04:13 pm by bassfisherman999
probably the most paying 2A job with athletes and and we can't get any names lol i realize their success hasn't been at the top the past few years but with the facilities and money this place has you would figure names would be popping like popcorn...

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: bassfisherman999 on February 01, 2017, 09:22:17 am
probably the most paying 2A job with athletes and and we can't get any names lol i realize their success hasn't been at the top the past few years but with the facilities and money this place has you would figure names would be popping like popcorn

coach Mike is hogging all the popcorn!!!
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

ABCâ„¢

Keep an eye on Ledford and Turley.

Pat Swilling

Quote from: ABCâ„¢ on February 01, 2017, 02:23:29 pm
Keep an eye on Ledford and Turley.

Really?  Both would be awesome hires.

ABCâ„¢

They've narrowed the applicants to 6, all 6 were interviewed, and will discuss and possibly decide tonight at the school board meeting.

WorkOrder

Tubz

Sounds like Turley from Hope. Still has family in Murfreesboro. Didn't win a game last year. Seat might be getting a little hot.

Katdaddy

brotherdew

Here is a link to a story on their most recent school board meeting on this subject. Five coaches are mentioned, Turley is not on the list.

http://southwestarkansasradio.com/search-for-head-football-coach-at-mineral-springs-continues/

brotherdew

Monden was a part of Vince Perrin's staff. He focused on strength and was a HUGE ball of energy on the sidelines during games. Any of these names would be good hires, but many in Mineral Springs have fond memories of the years he was a part of the program. This might give him an upper hand.
One would think that they would want to hire someone in time for spring practice and definitely no later than the end of school so they can establish their summer program ASAP.

BLUEBLOOD

King jumped from Horatio to Foreman last year and is now in the final group for Mineral Springs job.  Kind of surprising to me, but would be very concerning to me if I were a Gator fan.

ABCâ„¢

So much for Mineral paying any price to get a big time coach.

CaliKid

Still taking applications?? Who are they waiting on? Seem like a couple good options to me.

bassfisherman999

Just saw where they just reopened the job on AAA website

Katdaddy

Hard to imagine they will get anyone better that is not one of the ones they have already interviewed. Having to post the job again will probably scare some coaches from applying.

CaliKid

Quote from: Katdaddy on February 06, 2017, 09:17:59 am
Hard to imagine they will get anyone better that is not one of the ones they have already interviewed. Having to post the job again will probably scare some coaches from applying.
I would think it will definitely scare some coaches off. Crazy!

COACH-Mike

Quote from: CaliKid on February 06, 2017, 09:23:02 am
I would think it will definitely scare some coaches off. Crazy!

We are adding to the Job Description.  Athletic Director, fitness coordinator and strength and conditioning coach.  This should improve the program and get money were we need it to be. We want to make this a very attractive gig!  Don't think that will scare anyone.

bassfisherman999

Does that mean none of the 6 interviewed were fit for those positions or they didn't want all of that? Are they still being considered?

COACH-Mike

Quote from: bassfisherman999 on February 06, 2017, 10:02:47 am
Does that mean none of the 6 interviewed were fit for those positions or they didn't want all of that? Are they still being considered?

Every applicant is a candidate for the job.  We just want to make the best choice for the program.

CaliKid

Seems to me that there would be no reason to re-open it with new job additions if you had a quality candidate. I would think a Head Football Coach would already be expected to do Strength and Conditioning. The applicants include a former 6A Head Coach, Current 5A Head Coach, a long time 3A and 2A Head Coach, and a 6A assistant? A 2A "Co" AD seems like title only. I wouldn't think the current applicants would appreciate being strung out or having their names put out there in the process. Just my opinion.

stuck in between

Quote from: CaliKid on February 06, 2017, 10:36:52 am
Seems to me that there would be no reason to re-open it with new job additions if you had a quality candidate. I would think a Head Football Coach would already be expected to do Strength and Conditioning. The applicants include a former 6A Head Coach, Current 5A Head Coach, a long time 3A and 2A Head Coach, and a 6A assistant? A 2A "Co" AD seems like title only. I wouldn't think the current applicants would appreciate being strung out or having their names put out there in the process. Just my opinion.

+1 The more a coach's name is thrown around regarding another job the more he loses respect from his players and fans. Seriously, what kid wants to feel like they are their coaches second choice? Especially if the school that he/she is vying for a job at is in the same conference. It's going to be hard to get buy in from the kids to have a successful offseason with not only rumor that one is courting other job offers, but then having it verified by the school he/she is seeking employment from. Bad move by Mineral Springs in releasing that information and if a hire isn't made within the next couple of days I'll go ahead and say it would be a poor decision by any of the head coaches to not remove their name from the list. Just my opinion as well.

Big Country

I just for the life of me can't figure out why schools are dragging their feet to hire someone......MS isn't the only school doing it  ???

COACH-Mike

Quote from: stuck in between on February 06, 2017, 11:29:08 am
Quote from: CaliKid on February 06, 2017, 10:36:52 am

+1 The more a coach's name is thrown around regarding another job the more he loses respect from his players and fans. Seriously, what kid wants to feel like they are their coaches second choice? Especially if the school that he/she is vying for a job at is in the same conference. It's going to be hard to get buy in from the kids to have a successful offseason with not only rumor that one is courting other job offers, but then having it verified by the school he/she is seeking employment from. Bad move by Mineral Springs in releasing that information and if a hire isn't made within the next couple of days I'll go ahead and say it would be a poor decision by any of the head coaches to not remove their name from the list. Just my opinion as well.
FOI came into play.  Seems other schools can conduct searches without exposing names but for some reason it was very important for them to pull that on us.  No one wanted to expose any of the applicants.  We just don't want to rush into a decision until we know we have the right candidate.  All these guys are very good men. I truly wish no names were released until we named the selected individual and only that named released after everything is agreed on.

Sick Dog

Let me clarify......They want to hire someone and dont know if they can pay him enough so they dont want to tell the rest of the candidates in case they have to go to plan B, C, D etc etc etc. therefore they might be upset and not take the job knowing they werent the first choice. this happens a lot and isnt uncommon. If they dont want to release any names, they arent required to. They will hire when they hire. Hiring the right guy is important because if you dont then they can be reassigned and still have to pay them a salary. Small schools cant afford to do this. I believe they are doing the right thing by being patient.

CaliKid

Your "Clarification" confused me more. Maybe I just dont understand how shools work

Big Country

Quote from: Sick Dog on February 06, 2017, 06:28:31 pm
Let me clarify......They want to hire someone and dont know if they can pay him enough so they dont want to tell the rest of the candidates in case they have to go to plan B, C, D etc etc etc. therefore they might be upset and not take the job knowing they werent the first choice. this happens a lot and isnt uncommon. If they dont want to release any names, they arent required to. They will hire when they hire. Hiring the right guy is important because if you dont then they can be reassigned and still have to pay them a salary. Small schools cant afford to do this. I believe they are doing the right thing by being patient.
don't know if they can pay him ........should have been talked about during the interview and if said candidate didn't like the amount it should have been made clear then instead of dragging it out ......

BLUEBLOOD

FOI is pretty broad.  Schools are public entity and very few things are protected from FOI.  I would guess that since names were released and Coach Mike says it was because of FOI request, that we should take him at his word.  He is "in the know" at Mineral Springs. 

I do have a question that some MS poster could help me with:  if adding to the job description the title of AD, where does that leave your current AD?  Burns wasn't the AD, he was only head football.  Assistant football & head baseball coach was the AD.

Robot Chicken

Quote from: Big Country on February 07, 2017, 09:15:01 am
don't know if they can pay him ........should have been talked about during the interview and if said candidate didn't like the amount it should have been made clear then instead of dragging it out ......

Yeah you have heard about the name your price tool right? Some coaches believe they can do that.

Big Country

Quote from: Robot Chicken on February 07, 2017, 09:43:05 am
Yeah you have heard about the name your price tool right? Some coaches believe they can do that.

Ahhhhhh the ego is always in the was of progress.......smh

YouKnowUno

They just need to go ahead and hire a no name coach. A coach that believes he has something to prove. Coaches new to the game have way less ego and the school can pay less for them. Coaches that have been referred to as quality coaches one that has been named didn't win a game this season and has a school record of almost 50%. Give a new coach a chance they might have great ideas for this up and coming program. Just because they are from large schools, where the amount of athletes is high, does not mean they would be a good fit for the job. Apparently, the coach they had in mind at the last board meeting was not what the board wanted.

Big Country

someone use their FOI and say who MS wants to hire

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: Big Country on February 07, 2017, 12:52:44 pm
someone use their FOI and say who MS wants to hire

According to my sources:  Saban is #1 choice but it will wipe out their bank account in 2 years

Katdaddy

Sounds like Mineral thought they were going to make a "HOMERUN" hire and when they got into it they realized that was not the case. I wouldn't think there is a coach that is considered " homerun" hire capability going to Mineral. The names that were listed was a very good list and interviewed for that very reason. I personally just don't think you will find anyone better that is not on that list. If once the hire is announced and I think that person is better then I will gladly admit I was wrong. Just my opinion...

2aball

Quote from: YouKnowUno on February 07, 2017, 12:25:08 pm
They just need to go ahead and hire a no name coach. A coach that believes he has something to prove. Coaches new to the game have way less ego and the school can pay less for them. Coaches that have been referred to as quality coaches one that has been named didn't win a game this season and has a school record of almost 50%. Give a new coach a chance they might have great ideas for this up and coming program. Just because they are from large schools, where the amount of athletes is high, does not mean they would be a good fit for the job. Apparently, the coach they had in mind at the last board meeting was not what the board wanted.

You've got a pretty good point here actually. A lot of times, big school coaches don't translate well over to smaller schools. You can't really do things the same way. The cultures are way different and you have a lot less talent and a lot less players in general. If you come in full force, you may cause too much culture shock end up with barely enough to have a team. Lots of small towns and small schools are pretty resistant to change. You have to be careful how you manage that transition.

gameoflife

Quote from: 2aball on February 07, 2017, 07:15:12 pm
You've got a pretty good point here actually. A lot of times, big school coaches don't translate well over to smaller schools. You can't really do things the same way. The cultures are way different and you have a lot less talent and a lot less players in general. If you come in full force, you may cause too much culture shock end up with barely enough to have a team. Lots of small towns and small schools are pretty resistant to change. You have to be careful how you manage that transition.

Good point.  Coaches out of big schools have more of everything, money and staff to start with. Then they have more players and more rules that at small schools are some times hard to enforce and so kids quit.  Not sure about a Home Run, maybe a double?

BLUEBLOOD

Or maybe they found their guy but didn't have the money right.  They added to the job description for the stipends they are willing to give to get the money right.  Some of those stipends were already taken by other staff members and some had to be created and added to salary schedule.  They repost the job (since the scope changed) for a set amount of time and go through process of getting salary schedule changes approved.  My bet is that they won't even do any more interviews.  My bet is one of those 5 or 6 guys will be hired once the job has been posted however long it was determined to post it.

I could be very wrong since I have no info about MS athletics, but that is what my gut instinct tells me.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas