• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mineral Springs (filled - David Bennett)

Started by nsuqb10, December 24, 2016, 03:13:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tacklethis...

Quote from: Look A Here on March 03, 2017, 09:57:53 am
  So are saying Bennett is a big weight room guy or not? Because he's only been gone from Dierks for one year right?

Really not sure what he is saying????

Look A Here

Me either but I guess I have to figure it out... ;D :P

BLUEBLOOD

Two clichés apply perfectly to this situation:

"TIME WILL TELL"
"PROOF'S IN THE PUDDING"

Look A Here

Quote from: BLUEBLOOD on March 06, 2017, 10:18:36 am
Two clichés apply perfectly to this situation:

"TIME WILL TELL"
"PROOF'S IN THE PUDDING"

Those work in questions of speculation, not in questions of fact, unless you are skirting an issue...The statement was made about workouts being important(they are!) and that Bennett had a great off season program.  Then another,Big Boy, stated that the weight room was rarely used and weights had dust.  So when asked if he was a big weight room guy I don't see how two cliches can answer a yes or no question.

tacklethis...

Quote from: Look A Here on March 06, 2017, 10:57:28 am
Those work in questions of speculation, not in questions of fact, unless you are skirting an issue...The statement was made about workouts being important(they are!) and that Bennett had a great off season program.  Then another,Big Boy, stated that the weight room was rarely used and weights had dust.  So when asked if he was a big weight room guy I don't see how two cliches can answer a yes or no question.

This is a statement Im sure any football player would agree with that have played under both Parrin and Bennett. The off season workout regime and summer drills with Parrin are at least 3 times more physical than Bennett's program was in his last 4-5 years. Coach Mike will be able to give us a comparison because he will have seen both before the season starts...

I have already seen both.

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: Look A Here on March 06, 2017, 10:57:28 am

Your question wasn't mine to answer.  I said the clichés apply to the situation.

COACH-Mike

Quote from: tacklethis... on March 01, 2017, 12:02:58 pm
+1 on every comment.

Practices were easier than "relaxed". I felt like we had better talent at Dierks in that last 4 or 5 years than our records show. Our players didnt improve as their years went by....other teams seem to get better with less talent.
Stop the lying cause you haven't ever had any talent in durks.  Bennett made silk purses out of sows ears. lol.

brotherdew

It seems Tackle This is NOT a Bennett fan.  ;D

I agree with his assessment that there was a lot of unrealized potential on the Dierks roster over the past 4-5 years. However, to assume it was all the coach's fault is a little too easy in my opinion. Yes, a lot of programs have a strong off season, but their spring sports oftentimes suffer as a result. There are also programs where young men take the initiative to work out on their own to get better.
Was Bennett the best coach for Dierks over the last few years? Maybe, maybe not.
I don't think you would have had much more success out of that bunch if Perrin had been there. I feel there would have been some clashing of egos between the coach, some of the players and parents on the sidelines, much like we saw with Bennett. Of course we will never know because the past is the past.
Bennett and Perrin's approaches to coaching are different in many ways, but one area they are similar are in the results on the field. Both have built winning programs and I look forward to seeing them continue that tradition in their respective programs.

tacklethis...

Quote from: brotherdew on March 06, 2017, 05:12:40 pm
It seems Tackle This is NOT a Bennett fan.  ;D

I agree with his assessment that there was a lot of unrealized potential on the Dierks roster over the past 4-5 years. However, to assume it was all the coach's fault is a little too easy in my opinion. Yes, a lot of programs have a strong off season, but their spring sports oftentimes suffer as a result. There are also programs where young men take the initiative to work out on their own to get better.
Was Bennett the best coach for Dierks over the last few years? Maybe, maybe not.
I don't think you would have had much more success out of that bunch if Perrin had been there. I feel there would have been some clashing of egos between the coach, some of the players and parents on the sidelines, much like we saw with Bennett. Of course we will never know because the past is the past.
Bennett and Perrin's approaches to coaching are different in many ways, but one area they are similar are in the results on the field. Both have built winning programs and I look forward to seeing them continue that tradition in their respective programs.

I like the man just fine. I hope he has success in every game but the one! I will admit our defense was better with Bennett in points allowed per game. But, we were not in shape or as strong as the better teams in our conference before last year. Only time will tell for both teams/coaches.

Look A Here

Quote from: BLUEBLOOD on March 06, 2017, 01:45:50 pm
Your question wasn't mine to answer.  I said the clichés apply to the situation.
Okay, no disrespect intended Blueblood, was using you response to highlight my question

Katdaddy

I think Bennett ran a more ball control offense if Im not mistaken so that would be a reason that the defense did not give up as many points because the opponents offense wasnt on the field as much. I think Perrin runs a more hurry up offense so the offense scores quickly and therefore the opponents offense has more possessions and times to score.. Just an observation...

Blueblood you can correct my if im wrong on the offense part because you are from Dierks and know more than I do.

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: Katdaddy on March 07, 2017, 09:57:02 am
I think Bennett ran a more ball control offense if Im not mistaken so that would be a reason that the defense did not give up as many points because the opponents offense wasnt on the field as much. I think Perrin runs a more hurry up offense so the offense scores quickly and therefore the opponents offense has more possessions and times to score.. Just an observation...

Blueblood you can correct my if im wrong on the offense part because you are from Dierks and know more than I do.

I agree with that for the most part.  It's basically what you are seeing in most football programs from high school to the pros.  The offense wants to run more plays which leads to more possessions for both teams.  Where a more traditional approach was if I can score 20 points, I will win because I will limit the other team's chances to match me. 

There is no right or wrong answer (see Nick Saban).  The key IMO is to run the system that best fits your personnel.  If you got speed, get to the outside and get the ball to playmakers in space.  If you are strong up front and not so fast, pound the ball right at the defense and wear them down.  If you are fortunate enough to be able to do both, then you should have a very good football team.   

Katdaddy

Coach Mike, just wandering when Bennett will get over there and get started? I'm sure everyone in Mineral is anxiety waiting on him to get there. Just didn't know if he would be able to come early or not?

COACH-Mike

whoknows

whoknows

Just heard Strickland from Smackover...who previously coached with Bennett at Dierks...is joining as Football Assistant and baseball coach? Any truth to this Coach Mike?

COACH-Mike

Quote from: whoknows on March 13, 2017, 03:23:46 pm
Just heard Strickland from Smackover...who previously coached with Bennett at Dierks...is joining as Football Assistant and baseball coach? Any truth to this Coach Mike?

Maybe. Whoknows,Look a here can you tackle this blueblooded Katdaddy.  Lol.  We will hire one maybe two more assistants if things go right.

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: COACH-Mike on March 14, 2017, 09:42:34 am
Maybe. Whoknows,Look a here can you tackle this blueblooded Katdaddy.  Lol.  We will hire one maybe two more assistants if things go right.

I see what you did there.  Very nice!!!

Katdaddy

Coach Mike, I dont know if I want to be lumped into that group or not !!!!  ;D ;D

whoknows

I always liked Bennett...hated seeing him go...Strickland and Bennett worked really well together during the mid 2000's...Bennett was able to focus more on the defense and Strickland the offense...so if this does come to fruition...could definitely see MS playing for a state title in the near future...however I'm not sure of their talent at the moment...but they always have incredible talent...it will be interesting to say the least...

Look A Here

Quote from: Katdaddy on March 14, 2017, 12:28:58 pm
Coach Mike, I dont know if I want to be lumped into that group or not !!!!  ;D ;D
Yeah me either.... I do know if they bring in Strickland that will be huge, liked what I saw the two times I watched Smackover the last three years...Good Luck

brotherdew

Strickland is a great baseball guy aaaaannnndddd unfortunately Mineral Springs doesn't have what you would call a baseball tradition. I'm sure if the money is right anyone would consider it. However, I'm afraid the frustration on the baseball field might cause him to start looking for another job.
Besides, didn't he leave Dierks because he wanted an opportunity to be a head football coach?

whoknows

COACH-Mike

March 16, 2017, 08:57:13 am #223 Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 09:13:04 am by COACH-Mike
Quote from: brotherdew on March 15, 2017, 01:28:09 pm
Strickland is a great baseball guy aaaaannnndddd unfortunately Mineral Springs doesn't have what you would call a baseball tradition. I'm sure if the money is right anyone would consider it. However, I'm afraid the frustration on the baseball field might cause him to start looking for another job.
Besides, didn't he leave Dierks because he wanted an opportunity to be a head football coach?
Well in about 3 years Baseball will come to life in Mineral and be around for a few years.  The 10U team last year played some pretty competitive ball as they lost in the state tournament to Texarkana West just 9-8.  Things are changing in this proud town. These kids are competitive at everything from the classroom to the ball fields.  I'm looking forward to all that is to come. 

tacklethis...

Quote from: COACH-Mike on March 16, 2017, 08:57:13 am
Well in about 3 years Baseball will come to life in Mineral and be around for a few years.  The 10U team last year played some pretty competitive ball as they lost in the state tournament to Texarkana West just 9-8.  Things are changing in this proud town. These kids are competitive at everything from the classroom to the ball fields.  I'm looking forward to all that is to come.

So, they hit the ball good off the tee when they were 5, almost won a game in the state tourney at age 10, and now Mineral Springs high school baseball is going to be the "team to beat" in 3 years? Its hard to take in...

COACH-Mike

Quote from: tacklethis... on March 17, 2017, 07:28:49 am
So, they hit the ball good off the tee when they were 5, almost won a game in the state tourney at age 10, and now Mineral Springs high school baseball is going to be the "team to beat" in 3 years? Its hard to take in...
We are providing something Mineral has not in several years, a continuous baseball program from tee ball to High school.  I know you might find it hard to take in but these athletes are learning how to improve their baseball skills and develop knowledge of the game something the high school kids now never had the chance to.  Do a little research on these kids. 

Lions84

Coach Meins had them buzzing back in the 1980's !

Marblehog

How's Mineral Springs weight program looking?  Key to all sports is a great weight program, even basketball and baseball

whoknows

gameoflife

COACH-Mike

Quote from: whoknows on March 27, 2017, 08:16:52 pm
They have a nice weight room... ;D ::)
Yep and its in use! And not for couches and chairs any longer.  We will look a little different.

COACH-Mike

COACH-Mike

Quote from: whoknows on March 13, 2017, 03:23:46 pm
Quote from: Look A Here on March 15, 2017, 10:06:27 am
Yeah me either.... I do know if they bring in Strickland that will be huge, liked what I saw the two times I watched Smackover the last three years...Good Luck
Well we hired Strickland as football assistant and head baseball coach last night.  Getting better everyday!!!!!!!!!!

southarkdaddy

Mineral will be back on the map sooner rather than later

Proud Buckaroo

Strickland is a good coach. I never really had a problem with the things he did. Congratulations on getting a very good coach. Especially in baseball.

WHITEchicken

Well that is sad to hear. Wish Strickland would have stayed at Smackover. He is a good coach and a great human. Don't blame him for leaving.

Katdaddy

Good hire for Mineral. If Strickland stays long enough he can get Mineral competive in baseball. Maybe Bennett will let him coach this time around in football...

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: Katdaddy on May 03, 2017, 08:59:40 am
Good hire for Mineral. If Strickland stays long enough he can get Mineral competive in baseball. Maybe Bennett will let him coach this time around in football...

Oh yeah. Did David and Brian coach together at Dierks?

whoknows

May 04, 2017, 04:41:42 pm #238 Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 04:56:29 pm by whoknows
Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on May 03, 2017, 02:14:02 pm
Oh yeah. Did David and Brian coach together at Dierks?

Yes Strickland was Off. Cord with Bennett...you should remember...2005...you beat Dierks at home 14-13...then traveled to Dierks in the 3rd round undefeated predicting a 50 pt. Blowout and we'll we know how that played out...

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: whoknows on May 04, 2017, 04:41:42 pm
Yes Strickland was Off. Cord with Bennett...you should remember...2005...you beat Dierks at home 14-13...then traveled to Dierks in the 3rd round undefeated predicting a 50 pt. Blowout and we'll we know how that played out...

Yes, yes. I remember that. I was there that night. I was only 14 years old.

brotherdew

Soooo....
What happened to the current baseball coach?

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on May 04, 2017, 05:13:26 pm
Yes, yes. I remember that. I was there that night. I was only 14 years old.

I was there too.    Great game. 

Proud Buckaroo

When is Strickland supposed to start over there?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas