• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corning Head Coach

Started by goldoline, December 15, 2016, 09:00:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorbacks48

Razorbacks48

when are they hiring King?

Big Country

Any updates ?   someone has to know something

arkansasFBscoop

King is a quality coach.  IF he's interested, Corning should without question bring him aboard.  IF he was to leave, that would put Foreman on its fourth coach in four years.

nuttinbuthogs

Just curious, what is Kings history.  It seems he has done pretty well from what I hear. Do you think he would want to go to Corning instead of a larger school?

Razorbacks48

Iknewthemwhen

Quote from: Arkansasprofit on January 18, 2017, 02:11:05 pm
I heard King applies this Friday.  I had read in the Corning paper that he grew up in Corning, and has family ties to Corning.  He's turned around 2 different programs.  I don't know if Corning would want to hire him, and can they afford to pay him? I think it said in the paper he has about 20 years coaching experience.

Sounds like the announcement of a press conference..   Where has King coached over those years?

Big Country

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on January 25, 2017, 04:44:19 pm
Sounds like the announcement of a press conference..   Where has King coached over those years?
asst at Ashdown, Crossett , Head Coach Parkers Chapel, Horatio, Foreman

bigchief72455

I hope they can get someone there to turn it around. I know that Corning used to be a tough game for us here at Pocahontas but now that is not the case. We don't even play them anymore. Hope it turns around and we can play Corning again. Those games used to get pretty good.

stuck in between

As a Foreman resident I hate to hear the name King being tossed around with this job. With an abundance of talent he helped revive a practically dead program to an 8-4 season. Both the community and players bought in to his philosophy. I am pretty sure if he does in fact get the Corning job it will be five coaches in 5 years at Foreman. The odds of getting another one that runs the same Offense as King will be slim to none. Learning a fifth new offense in as many years will definitely be a major set back. While one always has to do what's best for them and their family promise's that were made to administration and players also need to be considered.     

YouKnowUno

Quote from: stuck in between on January 27, 2017, 07:26:15 am
As a Foreman resident I hate to hear the name King being tossed around with this job. With an abundance of talent he helped revive a practically dead program to an 8-4 season. Both the community and players bought in to his philosophy. I am pretty sure if he does in fact get the Corning job it will be five coaches in 5 years at Foreman. The odds of getting another one that runs the same Offense as King will be slim to none. Learning a fifth new offense in as many years will definitely be a major set back. While one always has to do what's best for them and their family promise's that were made to administration and players also need to be considered.     

The problem with Foreman is that they do not provide athletics with a budget to do anything with their programs, every sports gets it's money from gate. You will always have a problem keeping coaches with that. School board needs to approve funds set aside for athletics.

XFalkonz

Quote from: YouKnowUno on January 27, 2017, 11:08:43 am
The problem with Foreman is that they do not provide athletics with a budget to do anything with their programs, every sports gets it's money from gate. You will always have a problem keeping coaches with that. School board needs to approve funds set aside for athletics.
Most 2/3A schools ( especially in southwestern Arkansas ) do not get money from the school for athletics. I would be surprised if many schools that size get money set aside by the school for athletics

YouKnowUno

Quote from: XFalkonz on January 27, 2017, 11:12:43 am
Most 2/3A schools ( especially in southwestern Arkansas ) do not get money from the school for athletics. I would be surprised if many schools that size get money set aside by the school for athletics

No most of the schools this way have athletic budgets I know most of the coaches in southwest Arkansas and Foreman is the only one I have ever heard of that does its money for athletic programs this way.

XFalkonz

Quote from: YouKnowUno on January 27, 2017, 12:27:40 pm
No most of the schools this way have athletic budgets I know most of the coaches in southwest Arkansas and Foreman is the only one I have ever heard of that does its money for athletic programs this way.
I can name you two or three more that are 3A schools that do not financially support their athletic programs in southwest Arkansas ...foreman is not the only one

Made

Quote from: XFalkonz on January 27, 2017, 01:46:43 pm
I can name you two or three more that are 3A schools that do not financially support their athletic programs in southwest Arkansas ...foreman is not the only one
is that not what every school strives for? the ability for their gate to carry their program rather than pull school money to fund it?

XFalkonz

Quote from: Made on January 27, 2017, 01:53:42 pm
is that not what every school strives for? the ability for their gate to carry their program rather than pull school money to fund it?
Striving for it and having to deal with it are two different things. Some areas are able to compensate with a strong booster club.  Some areas are extremely successful in their support. Some areas just get by. It all depends on what side of the street you live on. School boards/administrations would love for all athletic programs to be able to raise enormous Amounts of money to support themselves and not have to use school money. Like I said...some schools do....some don't

YouKnowUno

Quote from: Made on January 27, 2017, 01:53:42 pm
It's good if a school can do that just from the gate but small schools need more funds to do that, uniforms are not cheap, yearly helmet reconditioning isn't either. Replacing those helmets is even more expensive. I have talked with coaches from that school, they struggle to get by with just the gate money. If they want to keep a coach they need to change something.

Iknewthemwhen

What offense does king run at Foreman?

Sick Dog

Quote from: YouKnowUno on January 27, 2017, 12:27:40 pm

Thats why they have been looking for a new coach every year

stuck in between

Quote from: Sick Dog on January 27, 2017, 10:49:45 pm
Thats why they have been looking for a new coach every year

He runs the winged T. Relies heavily on the Triple Option with little to no passing. Probably averaged 2-3 passes a game. If that. I agree whole heartily with the financing discussion. I'm sure with the lack of success the football program has had has caused some lean years as far as revenue. However, the turn out that this years success brought had to be an indication of what is to come. I've also heard he has applied for the Mineral Springs job so it doesn't look like it matters to him where he goes as long as he goes.

bigchief72455

Sad part is that a 1-9 season would be an improvement.

FootballFever

King doesn't run the wing T, he runs the Navy Triple Option out of the flexbone.  He would be a good hire for anyone looking to turn around a program.  I didn't realize he was from Corning.

Razorbacks48

So did he or is he applying?

stuck in between

Quote from: FootballFever on January 30, 2017, 01:24:27 pm
King doesn't run the wing T, he runs the Navy Triple Option out of the flexbone.  He would be a good hire for anyone looking to turn around a program.  I didn't realize he was from Corning.

Not a nickels worth of difference between the Flexbone and Winged T when you run double wings.

FootballFever

There is a huge difference in the Flexbone option & the wing T.  The wing T is all about angles & misdirection, with a ton of pulling lineman.  These two offenses are nowhere near the same!!!

Longfellow

I doubt many teams in 3A could be successful running the triple option

Iknewthemwhen

Quote from: FootballFever on January 30, 2017, 04:15:53 pm
There is a huge difference in the Flexbone option & the wing T.  The wing T is all about angles & misdirection, with a ton of pulling lineman.  These two offenses are nowhere near the same!!!
Quote from: stuck in between on January 30, 2017, 03:21:37 pm
Quote from: FootballFever on January 30, 2017, 01:24:27 pm

Not a nickels worth of difference between the Flexbone and Winged T when you run double wings.

The real difference lies in philosophy and scheme as opposed to formation.  If you line up in the flexbone or the Wing T with double wings or slots, what you run will make the difference.

XFalkonz

There is several teams that are lining up in the double slot/flexbone but aren't running much option. It takes a lot of timing and repetition to run the triple option out of any formation. Foreman ran the triple option well because they had a very good athletic QB, a bulldozer of a FB and a couple very fast slots. Their line was small and quick. The flexbone gives teams with less athleticism a chance to control the ball and confuse the defense. Most teams, in Arkansas, run the power version of the flexbone with dives, tosses, crossbucks and powers instead of the option version because the power version is simple

Iknewthemwhen

Hard to run a lot of option and a lot of passing game because of the time needed to perfect those schemes, so a heavy passing team is often a zone team and a team like Foreman runs almost always because they may not have the personnel for a complex pass game and therefore concentrates most of its practice time on the option game.

stuck in between

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on January 30, 2017, 06:00:10 pm
The real difference lies in philosophy and scheme as opposed to formation.  If you line up in the flexbone or the Wing T with double wings or slots, what you run will make the difference.
+1 Great point.

Big Country

so is there any new news about when Corning is going to make their move ?

Razorbacks48

in my opinion King doesn't want it...think about it..with it being his hometown and everyone wanting him there if he wanted it wouldn't it be a done deal already? this job was posted early December and its last day of January now

Iknewthemwhen

Quote from: Razorbacks48 on January 31, 2017, 01:12:59 pm
in my opinion King doesn't want it...think about it..with it being his hometown and everyone wanting him there if he wanted it wouldn't it be a done deal already? this job was posted early December and its last day of January now

Why would he want to go there, 15 wins in the past 9 years and about half of those years 0/10.  IF he wants to go home, OK. Otherwise I think they will have a hard time getting a seasoned, winning coach to go try to turn that around. 

Arkansasprofit

I heard that haven't officially offered the job to anyone.  Maybe they are still doing their homework, and interviewing other coaches?  The longer they wait, the more jobs come open that coaches will apply for in Arkansas.  Some schools just don't understand that, and they never will. 

bassfisherman999

February 01, 2017, 09:14:14 am #84 Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 04:06:02 pm by bassfisherman999
I'm trying to think of how many people would even want to go to a school with their win/loss record the way it is...??

bigman5570

Quote from: bassfisherman999 on February 01, 2017, 09:14:14 am
I'm trying to think of how many people would even want to go to a school with their win/loss record the way it is...
Somebody young looking for a challenge. It'll be an uphill battle for sure.

Iknewthemwhen

Quote from: bigman5570 on February 01, 2017, 01:53:32 pm
Somebody young looking for a challenge. It'll be an uphill battle for sure.

Looking to get a head coaching job.

Big Country

Anything .......been awful quiet

Qhcaoc

Anyone know who all has interviewed or if they have interviewed yet?

Big Country

Quote from: Qhcaoc on February 03, 2017, 12:06:39 pm
Anyone know who all has interviewed or if they have interviewed yet?
They have interviewed several a few weeks ago.......and now nothing is being said

Coltfan2005

you got a kid who has been in high school 5 years?

XFalkonz

I have a feeling that part of the situation is the mineral springs job...King has applied for that as well...whomever they hire might affect the Corning job

OB11

This just isn't an attractive job for an outsider.  Their best bet is to get the hometown guy that cares about the school and the community and understands the obstacles associated with the job.  I'm afraid anything else will just result in more of the same. 

Iknewthemwhen

Maybe it would be better to spice up the job with more pay and benefits, better facilities and more coaching staff in order to attract better candidates?  Nothing against any who have applied, just speaking to the comments about it being an unattractive job.

Arkansasprofit

I have heard they don't want to hire King because a lot of people in the community are wanting them to hire King.  The administration doesn't want to feel bullied by the community, so they are going to hire someone else I have heard.  It may take a little longer, because it's basketball season right now.  Maybe in March or April they will look to hire someone.

Katdaddy

King's name always comes up with jobs every year it seems like!!

bigchief72455

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on February 06, 2017, 08:57:43 pm
Maybe it would be better to spice up the job with more pay and benefits, better facilities and more coaching staff in order to attract better candidates?  Nothing against any who have applied, just speaking to the comments about it being an unattractive job.
Pretty sure they could not afford it.

stuck in between

Quote from: Coltfan2005 on February 06, 2017, 01:54:19 pm
you got a kid who has been in high school 5 years?

No, but you can still be up to date on your town's high school football program without having a kid involved in the program.

Arkansasprofit

I heard Corning has a new football coach.  It's NOT Mark King I will just say that.  I am too embarrassed to say his name.  I thought they shoulda hired the hometown boy, b/c I thought he was the best candidate. 

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: Arkansasprofit on February 07, 2017, 07:43:39 am
I have heard they don't want to hire King because a lot of people in the community are wanting them to hire King.  The administration doesn't want to feel bullied by the community, so they are going to hire someone else I have heard.  It may take a little longer, because it's basketball season right now.  Maybe in March or April they will look to hire someone.

From what I see, that type of reaction isn't uncommon.  Schools work for the community, supers, principals, board members, all work for the community.  I think that is one reason they have PTA?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas