• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coaching Openings 2015

Started by epotts, March 10, 2015, 02:05:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

epotts

Current List (updated 4/9/15) according to AAA website and other posters.

BOYS:
Rural Special(coach girls and boys both)-
Lamar-
Midland-
Greene County Tech-
Marmaduke-
Genoa Central-
Ridgefield Christian(not sure if girls or boys job)-
Truman-

Girls:
Piggot-
Hampton-
Brookland-
Manila-
Cross County-
DeWitt-

OB11

Quote from: Head Lion on April 08, 2015, 05:10:51 pm
Quote from: coach_r on April 08, 2015, 07:44:35 am
Where is the Manila coach going?
Asst principal at Riverside.

Any idea who will get this one?  Will they open it up or stay in house?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Basketballfan13 on April 09, 2015, 07:06:59 am
Quote from: HF on April 08, 2015, 08:55:17 pm
Hmm...Kinda surprised not to see Hector girls becom official yet...but wouldn't be surprised to see them give it to the Boys Coach(giving him all 6 teams) if he wants it...
I'm going to guess that the super will continue to coach for one more year.
Was told that he wasn't going to do that...Never know though... Reason I think the BOys Coach might get the Sr Girls if he wants them is he finished out the year as the 7th Grade Girls, and Jr High Girls HC as well as all 3 boys teams.

4real

I seriously doubt the boys coach will want all six teams.  That is a recipe for coaches getting divorced.  Especially considering the low stipend associated with that.  You don't do that unless a potential state championship run is realistic and you're still trying to make a name for yourself.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: 4real on April 09, 2015, 12:06:09 pm
I seriously doubt the boys coach will want all six teams.  That is a recipe for coaches getting divorced.  Especially considering the low stipend associated with that.  You don't do that unless a potential state championship run is realistic and you're still trying to make a name for yourself.

It's not real common, but there's enough that do it(Hutchcraft at Guy Perkins, Jackson at Acorn, more common in 1A schools I suppose) that it wouldn't surprise me....Especially considering the job has been "open" since January....and Hector is have some money issues, so it could make some sense there as well. The Coach is also young, believe this year was his first as a SR High HC, after a few years coaching Junior High at Waldron... I'm not saying it will happen...just that it wouldn't surprise me.

4real

Hutch hasn't done all six in many moons.  He has a jr high coach in years past.  I believe you are correct on Jackson.  Its a saver for the school$$$ but it will kill your new boys coach.  If you do all six, and dedicate yourself to each team the way the kids deserve, you'll either become an alcoholic, get divorced, or leave.  Once again, if you know your competing for state titles, its exhaustion that is easier to take.

elvis26

:D where is the trumann boys coach going?

20Baseball

some of thee school i haven't seen anything on their sites... so where are they posting the openings because i am not finding anything on triple a site either

OB11

Per Brad Bobo of KNEA on Twitter:  "@TheDriveOnKNEA Big NEA high school coaching news: Jason Smith is leaving Nettleton to become the girls' coach at Brookland."

Didn't really see that one coming.

Easy

Brian Martin new boys coach at Greene County Tech. 

NWA Hawg

NEA Razorback olfan

April 10, 2015, 08:55:30 pm #61 Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 09:01:21 pm by NEA Razorback olfan
Quote from: OliverBoy11 on April 10, 2015, 06:55:12 pm
Per Brad Bobo of KNEA on Twitter:  "@TheDriveOnKNEA Big NEA high school coaching news: Jason Smith is leaving Nettleton to become the girls' coach at Brookland."

Didn't really see that one coming.

Brookland just got a good coach, but prolly just lost Coach Hoffman and the driving force of a very talented middle school program, not to mention Coach Hoffman's 2 Daughters, Lotti Hoffman who started as a 7th grader last year for our Jr girls who were Conference champs , and Beaner Hoffman was  prolly one the best 5th grade guards in this area......
Really surprised they didn't offer it to  Hoffman.??????????

scoutteamshoota

NWA Hawg

Quote from: scoutteamshoota on April 10, 2015, 09:37:31 pm
Greenwood?

Yes I could be wrong I don't know. I just seem to remember a Brian Martin coaching at greenwood.

Easy

Yes Greenwood! Very surprised he would leave there!

BoxNOne

NEA Olfan, I agree with your assessment of the Brookland hire except I am not a big fan of the coach they hired. IMO, should have given Hoffman a shot at this job given the work he has put in at Brookland.

bbfan89

April 11, 2015, 01:53:51 pm #66 Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 11:55:50 pm by bbfan89
Colossal mistake on the part of Brookland administration.  Parents will not go for the screaming and belittling of players on a regular basis.  Nettleton had apathy toward their program and parents didn't care and there was very little fan support.  So, he didn't encounter a lot of negativity from parents because they didn't care anyway.  But, Brookland whose fans are extremely invested will not be happy when Smith throws one of his classic fits.  People seem to have a short memory of the things he did at Valley View that led to his departure.   I, too, believe they have lost a driving force behind their program.  Smith expects to step right in and reap the benefits of all of Hoffman's hard work.  But, somebody else will be glad to give Hoffman an opportunity to run their program.   What must the Brookland administration have been thinking.  All Jason Smith ever won was a few NEA tournament titles because he always had the largest classification school in the tournament.  Not an accomplishment!  He is just running from a conference he knows he can't win.

ab24

Quote from: Easy on April 10, 2015, 07:11:28 pm
Brian Martin new boys coach at Greene County Tech.

What will Martin bring to GCT? Is that a good hire? Wasn't he the Beebe coach some years back

RedWolf275

Quote from: bbfan89 on April 11, 2015, 01:53:51 pm
Colossal mistake on the part of Brookland administration.  Parents will not go for the screaming and belittling of players on a regular basis.  Nettleton had apathy toward their program and parents didn't care and there was very little fan support.  So, he didn't encounter a lot of negativity from parents because they didn't care anyway.  But, Brookland whose fans are extremely invested will not be happy when Smith throws one of his classic fits.  Let's not forget that Valley View terminated him for one of those fits.   I, too, believe they have lost a driving force behind their program.  Smith expects to step right in and reap the benefits of all of Hoffman's hard work.  But, somebody else will be glad to give Hoffman an opportunity to run their program.   What must the Brookland administration have been thinking.  All Jason Smith ever won was a few NEA tournament titles because he always had the largest classification
school in the tournament.  Not an accomplishment!  He is just running from a conference he knows he can't win.

He is definetly a screamer. Brookland screwed up in my opinion.

RedWolf2014

April 13, 2015, 05:49:20 am #69 Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 12:10:45 pm by RedWolf2014
I'm usually silent on a website like this but I'm going to say that Brookland did a great hire. You must not know Coach Smith on a personal level and he definitely doesn't need anyone to toot his horn for him. But I know for a fact when his players leave him, they leave with 2 things. They leave knowing that they left the school a better person and they left a man that they can depend on like a father figure for the rest of their lives. Ask 90% of his players and that's he type of man you will hear about. I'm honestly shocked he left Nettleton but he will do a tremendous job at Brookland. Coaching goes way beyond what we see on the sidelines, just know that. Because he yells at a kid doesn't mean he's a bad person nor does it mean he hates them. Figure out what type of person he is to his kids outside of basketball. That's where you will know the true Jason Smith. That's my two cents, take it how you want.

Missco

I would say its a pretty good hire.

Basketballfan13

Quote from: RedWolf2014 on April 13, 2015, 05:49:20 am
I'm usually silent on a website like this but I'm going to say that Brookland did a great hire. You must not know Coach Smith on a personal level and he definitely doesn't need anyone to toot his horn for him. But I know for a fact when his players leave him, they leave with 2 things. They leave knowing that they left the school a better person and they left a man that they can depend on like a father figure for the rest of their lives. Ask 90% of his players and that's he type of man you will hear about. I'm honestly shocked he left Nettleton but he will do a tremendous job at Brookland. Coaching goes way beyond what we see on the sidelines, just know that. Because he yells at a kid doesn't mean he's a bad person nor does it mean he hates him. Figure out what type of person he is to his kids outside of basketball. That's where you will know the true Jason Smith. That's my two cents, take it how you want.
I'll agree with RedWolf, coach smith is a great coach and will do good at Brookland. I'm confused by the people who says that he will not be successful and will be ran out of brookland for screaming too much...Unless I'm mistaken Coach Gross is still coaching the boys at brookland. Gross has done an amazing job with the boys program, but he is not always the most kind hearted person you'll meet on a court ;) As far as correct hire, I agree with everyone about not hiring coach Hoffman. Smith will do a great job, but anyone around NEA knows what a great program Hoffman has built over the past few years with Brooklands younger players. He is a 24/7 365 coach, and does more to develop players then anyone else around. They will do just fine with out him there, but anyone who knows anything about basketball knows how much it's going to affect brooklands program if they lose him.

redrider30

April 13, 2015, 10:10:50 am #72 Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 10:14:56 am by redrider30
I also agree with RedWolf2014 about coaches and it's obvious that they can take a lot of screaming and yelling at Brookland. Look at their elementary coach and boys coach. People at Brookland don't know how lucky they are for getting Coach Smith. You just avoided one controversy after another and a few years of pure misery. All of you at Brookland had better thank your administration and school board for hiring Coach Smith. You are lucky today. Oh and don't feel bad for Coach Hoffman I'm sure he can find another elementary job somewhere.

epotts

Current List (updated 4/13/15) according to AAA website and other posters.

BOYS:

Lamar-
Midland-
Greene County Tech- Brian Martin
Marmaduke-
Genoa Central-
Truman-
Greenwood-

GIRLS:

Piggot-
Hampton-
Brookland- Jason Smith
Manila-
Cross County-
DeWitt-
Nettleton-

RedWolf2014

Quote from: epotts on April 13, 2015, 11:05:16 am

BOYS:

Lamar-
Midland-
Marmaduke-
Genoa Central-
Truman-
Greenwood-

GIRLS:

Piggot-
Hampton-
Brookland- Jason Smith
Manila-
Cross County-
DeWitt-
Nettleton-

Add Newport to that mix.

Whats the story on the Newport Boys program, the Midland boys program, and the Lamar Boys program? All seem like solid jobs? Who's in the running and why is it open? Do they have good teams coming back?

4real

Quote from: RedWolf2014 on April 13, 2015, 12:12:20 pm

BOYS:

Lamar-
Midland-
Marmaduke-
Genoa Central-
Truman-
Greenwood-

GIRLS:

Piggot-
Hampton-
Brookland- Jason Smith
Manila-
Cross County-
DeWitt-
Nettleton-

Add Newport to that mix.

Whats the story on the Newport Boys program, the Midland boys program, and the Lamar Boys program? All seem like solid jobs? Who's in the running and why is it open? Do they have good teams coming back?
Lamar's boys coach retired.  Not a bad program.  Usually competitive. Downside is pay.
Midland boys are 2nd fiddle to baseball, are they not?
Newport is a tough job due to football. 

RedWolf2014

Who's in the running from Lamar?
I've never heard of them being a baseball powerhouse or anything like that. I do know they have had 2-3 coaches in the last 2-3 years. Maybe they really want the basketball back to how the 1A was when they were. They are consolidated from my understanding.
Newport used to be good a few years back with the Dean brothers from what I remember. Football is going to be tough anywhere for a basketball coach so thats just something to adapt to.

RedWolf275

Quote from: redrider30 on April 13, 2015, 10:10:50 am
I also agree with RedWolf2014 about coaches and it's obvious that they can take a lot of screaming and yelling at Brookland. Look at their elementary coach and boys coach. People at Brookland don't know how lucky they are for getting Coach Smith. You just avoided one controversy after another and a few years of pure misery. All of you at Brookland had better thank your administration and school board for hiring Coach Smith. You are lucky today. Oh and don't feel bad for Coach Hoffman I'm sure he can find another elementary job somewhere.

Apparently not a Hoffman fan are you Redrider. If Hoffman has a good 5th and 7th grader coming up he will find a jr-sr position. That's one of primary things a lot of schools look at these days. Especially schools who don't have anything coming up of their own.

4real

Some places have a tougher time succeeding than others generating support due to football culture.
Newport is one of those places

NEA Razorback olfan

April 13, 2015, 01:57:18 pm #79 Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 02:09:24 pm by NEA Razorback olfan
Quote from: RedWolf275 on April 13, 2015, 01:01:29 pm
Quote from: redrider30 on April 13, 2015, 10:10:50 am

Apparently not a Hoffman fan are you Redrider. If Hoffman has a good 5th and 7th grader coming up he will find a jr-sr position. That's one of primary things a lot of schools look at these days. Especially schools who don't have anything coming up of their own.

Bay wanted Hoffman last year and he already has offers.
I'm curious why Smith wanted out of Nettleton , he had one of the best Jr girls teams in this area last year, lost Ally Tucker, who also played for Hoopsters, but lots talent coming up for Nettleton with T Walker in the post.

redrider30

April 13, 2015, 02:19:05 pm #80 Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 02:24:00 pm by redrider30
You have to get them to senior high before they can win in senior high. His younger players when he was at Marmaduke ended up beating Marmaduke because they played for Rector when they were older. A lot of others and a lot of great kids from great families quit all together. Some 4.0 + students who were good players because they liked to study more than play basketball. The 24/7 365 coach is the perfect description of him. Very few kids can play 48-50 weeks a year and if he's your senior high coach that is just what it is with no compromises. If you can't do it he will recruit players from other schools to replace you. He is and always will be (the grass is always greener on the other side) guy. Oh and you can forget playing volleyball, softball or track or any other sport. If you hire him you'll love him the first few years and then good luck. He is however one of the best coaches anywhere at teaching young kids fundamentals of the game. If you want him for his daughters you had better wait until the are a little older because they will be playing for another school before they graduate. Don't just take my word for it research his record everywhere he's been. Best thing he did at Marmaduke was to bring Coach Smith over here, we will be forever grateful for that, because we wouldn't have won the state without him and his leadership over the years.

NEA Razorback olfan

April 13, 2015, 04:03:24 pm #81 Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 04:44:36 pm by NEA Razorback olfan
Quote from: redrider30 on April 13, 2015, 02:19:05 pm
You have to get them to senior high before they can win in senior high. His younger players when he was at Marmaduke ended up beating Marmaduke because they played for Rector when they were older. A lot of others and a lot of great kids from great families quit all together. Some 4.0 + students who were good players because they liked to study more than play basketball. The 24/7 365 coach is the perfect description of him. Very few kids can play 48-50 weeks a year and if he's your senior high coach that is just what it is with no compromises. If you can't do it he will recruit players from other schools to replace you. He is and always will be (the grass is always greener on the other side) guy. Oh and you can forget playing volleyball, softball or track or any other sport. If you hire him you'll love him the first few years and then good luck. He is however one of the best coaches anywhere at teaching young kids fundamentals of the game. If you want him for his daughters you had better wait until the are a little older because they will be playing for another school before they graduate. Don't just take my word for it research his record everywhere he's been. Best thing he did at Marmaduke was to bring Coach Smith over here, we will be forever grateful for that, because we wouldn't have won the state without him and his leadership over the years.

So your saying he is very dedicated about developing players , and programs.
Sounds like the girls from Rector wanted to work hard in the summer and improve and they did,
I know He doesn't force any of the Brookland girls to play Hoopsters , it's their choice. And yes he gives girls from other schools the option to play travel ball in the summer.
Brookland girls has turned around because of the work by coach Archer putting in a lot of time with this last years sr group when they were in middle school., and as they got older Menely Long, Cali Milligan, Alexa Thompson, along with Marmadukes very on Western Kentucky signee S. Bopp all played for Hoffmans Hoopsters.
Ask any coach , you have to put in the time ,practice ,plus  travel to raise your level of play

Hoffmans 5th and 6th girls lost a total of 4 games I believe last year, pretty sure the beat out Marmaduke in 5th grade girls League Championship at BIC, so I could see why your not a fan

Marmaduke has Volleyball???

Believe me I went to the Brookland girls game 10-15 years ago and they couldn't win 2-3 games a year , and one year they didn't even have enough to have a team. The last 3 years we have gone to State, Every good High school Program starts at the Elementery and Middle school

Easy

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on April 13, 2015, 04:03:24 pm

Sounds like the girls from Rector wanted to work hard in the summer and improve and they did,
I know He doesn't force any of the Brookland girls to play Hoopsters , it's their choice. And yes he gives girls from other schools the option to play travel ball in the summer.
Brookland girls has turned around because of the work by coach Archer putting in a lot of time with this last years sr group when they were in middle school., and as they got older Menely Long, Cali Milligan, Alexa Thompson, along with Marmadukes very on Western Kentucky signee S. Bopp all played for Hoffmans Hoopsters.
Ask any coach , you have to put in the time ,practice ,plus  travel to raise your level of play

Hoffmans 5th and 6th girls lost a total of 4 games I believe last year, pretty sure the beat out Marmaduke in 5th grade girls League Championship at BIC, so I could see why your not a fan

Believe me I went to the Brookland girls game 10-15 years ago and they couldn't win 2-3 games a year , and one year they didn't even have enough to have a team. The last 3 years we have gone to State, Every good High school Program starts at the Elementery and Middle school
Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on April 13, 2015, 04:03:24 pm

who got this all started back when they had not won a game in two years? Not anyone you have mentioned! This all started with coach richey and has grown to this because of the work he put towards this progra,.  Others like Hoffman have came along and helped but give credit to the person who started it when it was nothing and stayed with it and is leaving this program in great shape! Like most people we forget where they came from and where this program was!

redrider30

The key is this. He is not your Senior and Junior high coach now. He is doing the perfect thing right now. Coaching young players and building players. As for them beating our elementary. Nobody cares or will ever remember what happened in elementary. We just won the state championship with players that lost a lot of elementary games by a lot of points. Who cares. When he high tails it out of Brookland with school choice you can go with him but be prepared to move every three years and move to different states.

redrider30

April 13, 2015, 07:04:26 pm #84 Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 07:21:17 pm by redrider30
You can thank Michael Archer. He is the unsung hero behind the Brookland turn around and also Bobby Gross for marrying Rachel Gramlings mother and transferring her from GCT.

bbfan89

Well RR, sounds like you have a real beef with your former co-worker, does his friend who you sit on the bench with know how you really feel? Spencer Hoffman is a basketball coach and he doesn't care about other sports which is exactly the same way the majority of coaches feel. Show up sometime to Brookland and look at how many parents and kids show up every day from all over the area. Perhaps those angels from wonderful families were not as dedicated as they should have been.  Marmaduke's reason for having a ring is gone now, (who enjoyed playing for Hoffman), good thing because I'm not sure your ego could stand another championship.

redrider30

April 13, 2015, 09:18:42 pm #86 Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 09:32:56 pm by redrider30
The last time he coached our seniors was in 4th grade and he coached our juniors while they were in 3rd grade only 2 players left out of that group. I'm pretty sure that would make our current team and future teams Rick Smith's who deserves 100% of the credit for what's happened at Marmaduke. Coach Hoffman is perfect for what he's doing now. I never said he couldn't build or teach young kids, quiet the opposite he's very good at that but they can all come and go as they please and that's a big difference. If you think he cares anything about Brookland you just watch him high tail it out of Brookland since his plan didn't work out. He'll be smoozing someone else before the week is over. And by the way Rick Smith is still at Marmaduke and he and his players hard work is the reason we won it all.

NEA Razorback olfan

April 13, 2015, 09:35:40 pm #87 Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 09:55:06 pm by NEA Razorback olfan
I have nothing against Marmaduke -and I believed I did give Credit to Coach Archer, Baltz does a great job with our Jr. Girls
Coach Richey of course was Obviously essential at turning our program around

HorseFeathers

redrider30

I agree with you NEA Razorback. Well said.

Nomad1324

The fact is this: While past success is a great thing and shows a knowledge of the game, it does not guarantee success or failure at a new place. Each hire should be judged off of the results, not people's opinions of what a coach has done before.

Will hiring a new coach bring excitement? Yes. Will losing a successful coach bring disappointment? Yes.

Saying a hire is a bad move or that someone is going to move on is purely speculation at this point. Brookland will find out the whether it's a good or bad move soon enough, but trying to tear down two coaches in this is uncalled for.

MercyDaddy

Quote from: elvis26 on April 09, 2015, 04:22:08 pm
:D where is the trumann boys coach going?

He is going to Bartlett

ab24

Any word on marmaduke job? It's been open for a while. Would think they should b close

BoxNOne

Basketballfan13

Quote from: ab24 on April 14, 2015, 07:56:48 am
Any word on marmaduke job? It's been open for a while. Would think they should b close
They have hired but I don't know if they have announced who yet.

ab24

Quote from: Basketballfan13 on April 14, 2015, 08:59:34 am
Quote from: ab24 on April 14, 2015, 07:56:48 am
They have hired but I don't know if they have announced who yet.

interesting, wonder when they will announce who it is?

redrider30

Justin Ward Armorel Coach hired by Marmaduke last night.

coach_r

BOYS:

Lamar-
Midland-
Marmaduke-
Genoa Central-
Truman-
Greenwood-

GIRLS:

Piggot-
Hampton-
Brookland- Jason Smith
Manila-
Cross County-
DeWitt-
Nettleton-

Cross County Girls-- Hired
Marmaduke Boys -- Hired
Brookland Girls -- Hired
Piggott Girls -- Hired
Lamar Boys -- Hired
These schools have all hired someone, just don't know all their names.

But that also leaves openings at:
Armorel -- Boys
Cossatot River -- Boys

Will Nettleton hire from within?

Head Lion

Manila should announce on the girls opening within 36-48 hours. I would venture to say, there will be some VERY surprised people. We had 3 candidates who have won state championships, really surprised me with talent level that is going to be down for a few years. A 12 month contract & $5k stipend don't hurt though.

Head Lion

Quote from: Basketballfan13 on April 13, 2015, 08:52:05 am
Quote from: RedWolf2014 on April 13, 2015, 05:49:20 am
I'm usually silent on a website like this but I'm going to say that Brookland did a great hire. You must not know Coach Smith on a personal level and he definitely doesn't need anyone to toot his horn for him. But I know for a fact when his players leave him, they leave with 2 things. They leave knowing that they left the school a better person and they left a man that they can depend on like a father figure for the rest of their lives. Ask 90% of his players and that's he type of man you will hear about. I'm honestly shocked he left Nettleton but he will do a tremendous job at Brookland. Coaching goes way beyond what we see on the sidelines, just know that. Because he yells at a kid doesn't mean he's a bad person nor does it mean he hates him. Figure out what type of person he is to his kids outside of basketball. That's where you will know the true Jason Smith. That's my two cents, take it how you want.
I'll agree with RedWolf, coach smith is a great coach and will do good at Brookland. I'm confused by the people who says that he will not be successful and will be ran out of brookland for screaming too much...Unless I'm mistaken Coach Gross is still coaching the boys at brookland. Gross has done an amazing job with the boys program, but he is not always the most kind hearted person you'll meet on a court ;) As far as correct hire, I agree with everyone about not hiring coach Hoffman. Smith will do a great job, but anyone around NEA knows what a great program Hoffman has built over the past few years with Brooklands younger players. He is a 24/7 365 coach, and does more to develop players then anyone else around. They will do just fine with out him there, but anyone who knows anything about basketball knows how much it's going to affect brooklands program if they lose him.
Coach Gross is a teddy bear! He is way to soft on players, that program is nowhere close to where it was when he got there.  ;D ;D

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas