• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Regarding Future Coaching

Started by TrackGrad, November 07, 2014, 10:54:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TrackGrad

Hello everyone, I'm a current Sophomore in college, that's thinking of changing majors into Education with a coaching endorsement, focusing on Track and Field.

While running in high school, I grew apassion for this sport and an idea of one day coaching. However, I've been worried about several things that have prevented me into being fully committed to it. Which brings me to the creation of this post; If there are any Coaches or AD's on board I'm asking for some insight.

What were y'all's reasons of wanting to go into coaching.

How to deal with administration and issues within classrooms.

Thank you.

arthurhawgerelli

Quote from: TrackGrad on November 07, 2014, 10:54:03 am
Hello everyone, I'm a current Sophomore in college, that's thinking of changing majors into Education with a coaching endorsement, focusing on Track and Field.

While running in high school, I grew apassion for this sport and an idea of one day coaching. However, I've been worried about several things that have prevented me into being fully committed to it. Which brings me to the creation of this post; If there are any Coaches or AD's on board I'm asking for some insight.

What were y'all's reasons of wanting to go into coaching.

How to deal with administration and issues within classrooms.

Thank you.

The reasons I went into coaching is because I loved sports, and I wanted to help kids.

You deal with administration and the classroom exactly the same way you coach.  You get organized, establish the goals and objectives of your mission, and work towards them.

Coach Ernest-Nashville

Coaching sort of chooses you. I tried to tell myself that I wanted out of school and never go back. I wanted a big paycheck and lots of "stuff". No matter what I did I found myself studying sports more than anything else. Missed every aspect of competition. I was influenced greatly by my coaches both in good ways and bad. I found more in teaching kids to love sports than I ever got playing them. I eventually just felt there was nothing else I'd rather do. I haven't had the greatest success in the win loss column. I have found out in time that I have had success in the lives of many of my former players and that drives me.

Every school system is different and has it's good points and bad points. No place is perfect. Administrators and classroom assignments are always something to consider. Some advise for anyone thinking they want to coach in Arkansas:  don't gauge your personal worth by the number of wins you have, it will never be about you, kids play for a different reason than you coach, learn from everybody good and bad especially classroom teachers and get involved and learn as much football as you can early on, it might not be your sport of choice but it can really open doors to get you to a great job in your primary sport.

I learn more everyday. After 15+ years I'm still in love with teaching life through sport. I've been a part of state championship teams and losing teams, worked with great coaches and not so great coaches but everyday I am thankful for those who have helped me. I never pass up a chance to help people in this profession. If you ever want to contact me message me and I'd be more than willing to help in any way I can.

intruder

Coach Earnest, you have earned lots of respect from former players from this outlook that you have for your position. I am Very close to one in particular, you were a great and honest mentor

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas