• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

God's Not Dead

Started by AirWarren, April 06, 2014, 05:07:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AirWarren

Awesome, awesome movie. The theater was packed and it's doing great at the box office. We went and saw it today after church. I recommend it for everyone.

AirWarren

Texarkana_Piggie

it is still on here but we haven't been able to go see it yet.  i was hoping to go this weekend, but didn't work out.  i want to see it before it goes off.

Kazimierz

So I created my own thread on this movie... then I saw this one... I'll just repost here and pretend that nothing happened.

***Possible Spoiler Alert***

Just wondering if anyone has seen this.  I read the synopsis and passed.  It appears to be a feel-good movie for believers and does not readily engage in serious debate (in that all people of opposed views either die or change their mind).

Not sure I like the appropriation of Nietzsche, but if some folks on here say the movie is worth seeing I may try to find it online.

"God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Yet his shadow still looms. How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it?"
—Nietzsche

That's some good stuff from a German philosopher.  We have killed God by replacing him.  And how can we fill that gap now? Must we create new games or festivals? Haven't we reached too far by killing God (i.e. removing him from our lives).  Now do we, as godslayers, have the obligation to attempt to be gods... to fill that place?

Yeah philosophy.

AirWarren

Kazimierz

AirWarren

loyal fan

Great movie. Good to see Christian influence.

Jacketman65

Highly recommend this movie.  As adults we should at least take our kids/grandkids to see this.  Maybe it will help them to make a choice.

sixthman

Several people have recommended I take the family to see it. We will probably go the Saturday before Resurrection Day. If its not there anymore we will watch Heaven is for Real.

sixthman

Quote from: Kazimierz on April 07, 2014, 02:46:01 pm

"God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Yet his shadow still looms. How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it?"
—Nietzsche

That's some good stuff from a German philosopher.  We have killed God by replacing him.  And how can we fill that gap now? Must we create new games or festivals? Haven't we reached too far by killing God (i.e. removing him from our lives).  Now do we, as godslayers, have the obligation to attempt to be gods... to fill that place?

Yeah philosophy.

"The fool has said in his heart 'there is no God'."

That's some good stuff from God. Psalm 14:1

Kazimierz

Quote from: sixthman on April 08, 2014, 05:14:42 pm
Quote from: Kazimierz on April 07, 2014, 02:46:01 pm

—Nietzsche

Yeah philosophy.

"The fool has said in his heart 'there is no God'."

That's some good stuff from God. Psalm 14:1

Well, that's sort of the point. Nietzsche was commenting on society. He was talking about how we had pushed god off of his pedestal.  How society had moved away from him. It's rather astute commentary I think. He wasn't denying god. He was remarking on how we feel that we don't need him anymore, and then asking how we could possible hope to replace the central role he played.

sixthman

Oh, I got it. I just felt that little verse cut to the heart of the issue. Jesus told the apostles that the world would hate them because the world hated Him. We are given the same promise today. The world hates the Gospel of Christ, and believers by extention.

The church is, and has been, persecuted around the world. In many places believers are imprisoned, tortured, and killed. This happens, not because of hate that is rooted against the believers, but hate rooted against God and the Gospel.

Atheism is not new. It has been around a long time. The arguments are the same with new packaging. Voltare, for example, made the claim that the bible would disappear from the earth in a hundred years. Today his home is a bible museum. God made a real statement with that one.

Kazimierz

Atheism is as old as religion. The first guy that claimed god existed was likely met with cynicism from his neighbor.

sixthman

Its kinda funny I saw this last night. I caught part of the original Star Trek movie in which Voyager 6 reached self awareness and traveled back to earth in search of the creator. I thought it was funny that a self aware computer knew it had to come from something, but many people think they come from nothing.

The interesting philosophical question would be, Is it possible for a self aware machine to evolve on its own from nothing? That would mean the machine itself, hardware, gears, wiring, etc. must first come to be without assistance, then it would have to reach self awareness without assistance.

The answer is obviously, no, that can never happen. Yet people have no trouble buying that we, who are infinitely more complex, just happened. Really?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: sixthman on April 09, 2014, 09:21:21 am
Its kinda funny I saw this last night. I caught part of the original Star Trek movie in which Voyager 6 reached self awareness and traveled back to earth in search of the creator. I thought it was funny that a self aware computer knew it had to come from something, but many people think they come from nothing.

The interesting philosophical question would be, Is it possible for a self aware machine to evolve on its own from nothing? That would mean the machine itself, hardware, gears, wiring, etc. must first come to be without assistance, then it would have to reach self awareness without assistance.

The answer is obviously, no, that can never happen. Yet people have no trouble buying that we, who are infinitely more complex, just happened. Really?

Long string of coincidences is what the human race/Earth is, didn't you know that?  [/sarcasm]   

Kazimierz

Aside from the fundamental difference of organic matter v. mechanics....

I have always been a healthy skeptic... but not militant in any view.  I approach religion with the same questions I approach everything else.  And I spent far too many hours reading old texts in college concerning the founding of the Church and councils and bureaucracy that formed many of our current views. 

For many people, it all boils down to faith.  You cannot part a sea, you cannot put two of every animal on a boat with one window, you cannot have a child conceived without intercourse, etc.  These are miracles (or stories).  They have no explanation in science or physics.  They just are. Take them or leave them.  They require faith.

I have no problem with faith.  I just always ask why.  I have never been entirely satisfied with any answer that science can provide either, but I do appreciate the process.  And, Lord knows its provides hours and hours of great discussion.  In the end, nobody knows. No scientist can prove evolution - it will remain a theory. A theory based on what we know from the animal kingdom and fossil evidence perhaps, but a theory.  Same with religion.  There are many faiths in the world, three Abrahamic religions that profess one, true God (except Christianity which also provides for the Trinity - but it's not paganism... just three gods in one Godhead... chew on that for a while).  Other religions have multiple gods, some have no gods at all... only an ethos.

I guess we will all figure out the answer eventually.  Will we simply "turn off,"  will we sprout wings and walk the clouds, will it be somewhere in between.... is their no heck if you don't believe in one (i.e. Judaism)... theology is great.     

True Believer

It's been sold out here in Jonesboro!!   Great movie! 

DogsWin7

I'd like to go see it. 

sixthman

Quote from: Kazimierz on April 09, 2014, 10:08:19 am

Aside from the fundamental difference of organic matter v. mechanics....

I have always been a healthy skeptic... but not militant in any view.  I approach religion with the same questions I approach everything else.  And I spent far too many hours reading old texts in college concerning the founding of the Church and councils and bureaucracy that formed many of our current views. 

For many people, it all boils down to faith.  You cannot part a sea, you cannot put two of every animal on a boat with one window, you cannot have a child conceived without intercourse, etc.  These are miracles (or stories).  They have no explanation in science or physics.  They just are. Take them or leave them.  They require faith.

I have no problem with faith.  I just always ask why.  I have never been entirely satisfied with any answer that science can provide either, but I do appreciate the process.  And, Lord knows its provides hours and hours of great discussion.  In the end, nobody knows. No scientist can prove evolution - it will remain a theory. A theory based on what we know from the animal kingdom and fossil evidence perhaps, but a theory.  Same with religion.  There are many faiths in the world, three Abrahamic religions that profess one, true God (except Christianity which also provides for the Trinity - but it's not paganism... just three gods in one Godhead... chew on that for a while).  Other religions have multiple gods, some have no gods at all... only an ethos.

I guess we will all figure out the answer eventually.  Will we simply "turn off,"  will we sprout wings and walk the clouds, will it be somewhere in between.... is their no heck if you don't believe in one (i.e. Judaism)... theology is great.     

You are right. Christianity comes down to one simple question. Is Christ who He claims to be? If the answer is no, those of us in the faith are as the apostle Paul describe, "If Christ be not raised, we are of all men, most miserable." If the answer is yes, then the miracles of the bible must be taken at face value because Christ confirmed the creation, flood, etc. By extention, if Christ is who He claims, we have the word of God and the blueprint how we approach Him.

As for me, I am convinced that Christ is who He claims to be, partly through faith, but also through historical evidence.

Lions84

phdefense

Good movie, watched it twice now.

phdefense

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas