• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Official Lendel Thomas Classic Thread

Started by silvers, November 21, 2008, 10:47:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

silvers

November 21, 2008, 10:47:02 am Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 01:37:08 pm by silvers
BOYS BRACKET

Dec 29-31

Harrison
vs
Paragould

Bentonville
vs
Heber Springs

Mena
vs
Huntsville

Batesville
vs
Bergman

Bergman1820

Wow!! Bergman getting in there with the big dogs. Gonna be kewl to watch.

Fighting Okra 4Life

Quote from: vstigerz on November 23, 2008, 06:40:35 am

Yeah they are taking the place of Cabot.

We get to see the Bobby Knight of girls basketball this year live and in color again at the Spook House.

Drama Mama ™

Quote from: Fighting Okra 4Life on November 24, 2008, 11:53:33 am
Quote from: vstigerz on November 23, 2008, 06:40:35 am

Yeah they are taking the place of Cabot.

We get to see the Bobby Knight of girls basketball this year live and in color again at the Spook House.
LOL ! That makes me smile ;D

Quite Frankly

I heard these brackets have changed.  I will try to get the accurate ones up for you.  Fat Money will probably do it.

Drama Mama ™

Quote from: 24 on December 07, 2008, 09:27:33 pm
any news on this tourny?
Got a 3 weeks before it takes place so . . . . .  I'm sure we'll have an update on brackets soon enough.

This is always a top notch tourney and well ran.  Plus we take very good care of the teams.  If I not mistaken we foot the travel bill for the out of towners.  I assume we are still doing that .  Lodging/eats/courtesy cars/fuel.  It's really a great week of basketball.    Also great to have not 1, but 3 former old school Goblins leading their teams through out.  Bergmans girls fearless leader Coach Howard , Batesvilles-Coach Morrow and Harrison's very own Coach Stahler

Glad to see Bergman in the mix of it this year.  Bergman will man up with anyone you put them on the court with, so they were a solid addition.

silvers

December 08, 2008, 01:35:21 pm #8 Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 01:37:38 pm by silvers
Updated match-ups, first round games correct.  Where they sit on the bracket may not be.

Fat Money

December 08, 2008, 05:57:55 pm #9 Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 08:41:29 pm by Fat Money
Here are the first-day pairings for the Lendel Thomas Classic to be held Dec. 29-31 at the Spook House in Harrison. I know a thread was already started about this, but it didn't have the girls' pairings and Lendel's name was misspelled in the title. Plus there have been several changes on the boys' side, so hopefully this new thread will clear all that up.

BOYS' DIVISION
Monday, Dec. 29

Huntsville vs.
Mena, 12:15 p.m.

Bergman vs.
Batesville, 2:45 p.m.

Bentonville vs.
Heber Spgs., 6:15 p.m.

Harrison vs.
Paragould, 8:45 p.m.

GIRLS' DIVISION
Monday, Dec. 29

Harrison vs.
Paragould, 7:30 p.m.

Heber Spgs. vs.
Bentonville

Huntsville vs.
Mena, 11 a.m.

Bergman vs.
Russellville, 1:30 p.m.

silvers

What are the Huntsville boys like this year?

Silver Haired Fox

dont think the bergman girls will do very well, they make too many mistakes.
boys on the other hand could make some noise.

Elvis Hoggoblin

pantherblue

Are you talking about Battle at The Brier again?    :)

Drama Mama ™

Quote from: pantherblue on December 18, 2008, 04:35:50 pm
Lalalalalalala I can't hear you !   

pantherpatrol

Heber could do good they are very solid this year.

speedster

I can't wait to see how Mena matches up this year... 9-1 so far.  A nice win over a bigger better school would be nice on the resume

pantherblue

Quote from: Drama Mama ™ on December 18, 2008, 10:52:35 pm
Quote from: pantherblue on December 18, 2008, 04:35:50 pm
Lalalalalalala I can't hear you !   

Sleeping at the wheel huh?  LOL  I don't blame you... The battle at the brier was a snoozer this year...

Sounds like your tournament will be some heavily contested games.  I would like to come up and watch some games but it's so dang far up the hill!!!

roundball fan

Does anyone know anything about the Mena boys?

speedster

roundball fan

speedster

Size: Everybody is big.  Our starting line-up doesn't consist of a guy under 6'2.  6'2, 6'3,6'3, 6'3, 6'4 should be the starting line-up with our 6'5 as the first one rotating in.  They love getting physical and can match anybody on the boards.
Best Players: you will have to guard #5 in his face or he will hit the three on your team all night long.  #15 is a hard working post that is very talented and is probably the leader of the team. #14 is a great point guard that knows how to handle the ball and has a pretty good vision of the court.
Record: 10-1 (2-0 conference play) Key wins are over Ashdown and Malvern blowing them away by 20+.  Other than that not to much competition for them.  They won the Magnet Cove tournament... This is why I can't wait for the tournament, so I can see how Mena will match up against high caliber teams.

roundball fan

speedster

Are you from Huntsville?  I'll be at the game 12:15 tomorrow I believe

basketballrules

pantherblue

Forrest City H

Quote from: HackerHog on December 29, 2008, 03:46:04 pm
Bergman girls won 49-37.
Bergman boys up 36-18 at half.  *shocked*

You should not be shocked at anybody beating Batesville boys - they are one of the weakest boys teams in 5A.  I think they have 1 win all year. 

pantherblue

Quote from: HackerHog on December 29, 2008, 04:39:26 pm
Bergman won by 20 something points... they're playing Mena in the next round.  (Mena beat Huntsville).

Did you see the Mena boys team play?  They are supposed to be big and skilled?

Silver Haired Fox

hey hackerhawg, whats with the beat down on bergman???

HawgDaddy

Boys
Mena beat Huntsville by 2
Bergman beat Batesville by 20
Bentonville beat Heber Springs by 6
Harrison beat Paragould by 15

Girls
Huntsville beat Mena by 30
Bergman beat Russellville by 12
Bentonville beat Heber Springs by 9
Paragould beat Harrison by 10

Boys Winners Bracket
Mena vs. Bergman
Bentonville vs. Harrison

Girls Winners Bracket
Huntsville vs. Bergman
Bentonville vs. Paragould

Boys Losers Bracket
Huntsville vs. Batesville
Heber Springs vs. Paragould

Girls Losers Bracket
Mena vs. Russellville
Heber Springs vs. Harrison

BHS

Quote from: HackerHog on December 30, 2008, 08:42:36 am
Quote from: Silver Haired Fox on December 29, 2008, 09:56:33 pm

no hate at all... just posted that for general smack to be used for motivation.

I was at both the Bentonville/Heber and Harrison/Paragould games last night.  Judging by those 2 games alone, Harrison will have no problem beating Bentonville.  But I'm intrigued at what could happen in the Harrison game should Bergman upset Mena in the earlier semi-final.

Why did you change your mind from them winning a game to them having a chance to go to the finals?

silvers

Observations from day one.

Talent is WAY down at the tourney, for the most part same schools, but talent down.

Girls is very weak.  Semi's are Huntsville/Bergman and Bentonville/Paragould.  Bergman and Paragould will play in weak 3rd place game, baring a major catastrophe.  Huntsville should probably beat Bentonville in the finals.

Boys division: 

Semi's are Bergman/Mena and Bentonville/Harrison.  After the first day Bergman looked like the best "team", but they played a pitiful Batesville team, we will see if they can play with the physical teams like Mena or Harrison.  Mena has a lot of big bodies, but little skill outside of one guard.  Bentonville will be lucky to win more than a couple conference games in the 7A West.  They play with very little heart or desire, and play extremely weak.  Harrison seems to have some pieces to a decent team, but is very rough around the edges.

Continues to be a very well run tourney.

HawgDaddy

Quote from: HackerHog on December 30, 2008, 08:42:36 am
Quote from: Silver Haired Fox on December 29, 2008, 09:56:33 pm

no hate at all... just posted that for general smack to be used for motivation.

I was at both the Bentonville/Heber and Harrison/Paragould games last night.  Judging by those 2 games alone, Harrison will have no problem beating Bentonville.  But I'm intrigued at what could happen in the Harrison game should Bergman upset Mena in the earlier semi-final.

I don't think Bergman beating Mena would be an upset.  They play better together, have a better coach, and are comparable in talent.  I'm not saying they are a lock to win, but I wouldn't call it an upset if they do win.

2eaglefan

I would have to agree..I have saw Bergman play and thought they were a good team.  From what I heard Mena wasn't as good as expected..

HawgDaddy

I also want to point out that although Batesville does not have a great record, they have played very good teams.  I know they played Vilonia very close and Sylvan Hills beat them by one point.  They aren't real talented for a 5A school, I know, but they aren't incapable.  I want to see how they perform against Huntsville today.

BHS

Quote from: HawgDaddy on December 30, 2008, 02:00:28 pm
I also want to point out that although Batesville does not have a great record, they have played very good teams.  I know they played Vilonia very close and Sylvan Hills beat them by one point.  They aren't real talented for a 5A school, I know, but they aren't incapable.  I want to see how they perform against Huntsville today.

Sylvan Hills is way down this year. 

Drama Mama ™

I personally want a Harrison/Bergman boys final  ;)   

Silver Haired Fox

i agree it should be a full house, should be a great match up with really nothing on the line but braggin' rights.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Good luck to Coach Stahler in the finals.  I'm a little disappointed he won't be taking on his former team and my alma mater, Mena, but I'm always glad to see him do well.  In my experience, I found that he's a great coach and a great mentor for his players.

Go Postal

December 30, 2008, 11:03:06 pm #42 Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 11:16:40 pm by Go Postal
I have to mention, that James Whitcomb Riley and I have said "The Goblins will get ya if ya don't watch out".  Good Luck to all teams.
Enuff said.

HawgDaddy

I found it a little amusing that the Harrison student section was chanting "Bring on Bergman" to end the Bentonville game.  A 5A school playing host to their neighboring 3A school will be a treat, and taunting them no less.  It should be a great atmosphere and hotly contested game.  Harrison has more athletes, but will have all the pressure to beat Bergman.  Bergman has absolutely nothing to lose in this one and should play without pressure. 

I'll be pulling for Bergman.......

Bergman 41 Harrison 38

Quite Frankly

December 31, 2008, 09:00:21 am #44 Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 09:17:02 am by QF©
Bentonville boys.  Good lord.

Drama Mama ™

December 31, 2008, 09:41:40 am #45 Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 09:44:15 am by Drama Mama ™
Quote from: HawgDaddy on December 31, 2008, 12:01:34 am
I found it a little amusing that the Harrison student section was chanting "Bring on Bergman" to end the Bentonville game.  A 5A school playing host to their neighboring 3A school will be a treat, and taunting them no less.  It should be a great atmosphere and hotly contested game.  Harrison has more athletes, but will have all the pressure to beat Bergman.  Bergman has absolutely nothing to lose in this one and should play without pressure. 

I'll be pulling for Bergman.......

Bergman 41 Harrison 38
Harrison and Bergman have needed to square off for awhile to prove a point.  Always a lot of trash talk among the Boone Co residents (yes, I've heard it first hand, so it's NOT hearsay ;) ) on Bergman being able to whip up on the Harrison boys.  Obviously our student section had the inside scoop on that LOL !  So, BRING ON BERGMAN !  The Gobs have their chance to either pull it off or choke. 

As far as Harrison out numbering Bergman in athletes, of course we do, but in the world of basketball that really in a non factor.  Bergman has just as many quality players on the bench as we do, AND they have more court time in at this point of the season .  Coach Stahler has to patiently wait for the football players who are also on his roster, to finish their season up ,  while Bergman has already taken their show on the road a number of times.   Our players are just now to that "starting to jell"  point of the season.

GO GOBS ! Bragging rights are on the line ! 

This should be an awesome game, but neither team is playing for much more than bragging rights and a notch on their belt.  It's a pride match so to speak.   ;)

Good luck to both teams.

HawgDaddy

Drama Mama - You're saying that being more athletic is a non-factor in basketball.  It evens the playing field.  If you are more athletic, you can be less skilled and still have a chance. 

It sounds like you are making excuses when you say that Bergman has had more court time.  And, by the feel of your post you seem to think Harrison needs to prove a point tonight and maybe that Bergman has been trash talking.  Listen, I live in Harrison, work at Bergman, and I have never heard any trash talking from either side.  I think both teams have great kids on the floor and outstanding coaches on the bench.  This should be a fun game, let's not ruin it by making it a grudge match.

Plus, nobody said Bergman would whip up on Harrison.  And, as far as bragging rights go, let me remind you that Harrison should win by 20.  So, unless they win by 20+, they probably shouldn't start bragging.

HawgDaddy

I say should win by 20 only because they are 5A compared to a 3A.  They have twice as many students in high school to chose from for athletics.

Drama Mama ™

December 31, 2008, 02:30:13 pm #48 Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 04:00:33 pm by Drama Mama ™
Quote from: HawgDaddy on December 31, 2008, 10:07:59 am
Drama Mama - You're saying that being more athletic is a non-factor in basketball.  It evens the playing field.  If you are more athletic, you can be less skilled and still have a chance. 

It sounds like you are making excuses when you say that Bergman has had more court time.  And, by the feel of your post you seem to think Harrison needs to prove a point tonight and maybe that Bergman has been trash talking.  Listen, I live in Harrison, work at Bergman, and I have never heard any trash talking from either side.  I think both teams have great kids on the floor and outstanding coaches on the bench.  This should be a fun game, let's not ruin it by making it a grudge match.

Plus, nobody said Bergman would whip up on Harrison.  And, as far as bragging rights go, let me remind you that Harrison should win by 20.  So, unless they win by 20+, they probably shouldn't start bragging.

First off let's get this straight...... I make NO excuses and I have no player on the team , and this is not a grudge match by any means.     YOU kind of started off by by saying you found humor in the Harrison Student section chanting to "Bring on Bergman" . . . .  just thought you needed a little clarification on WHY they might be chanting that.
I've lived here for 30 plus years . . . .  I guess I hear things you don't. . . . . AND I plainly stated BOONE CO RESIDENTS....... not Bergman.  Boone Co covers a pretty big area huh ? Yea. . . . .

My rebuttal was taken from this quote by you :
(I found it a little amusing that the Harrison student section was chanting "Bring on Bergman" to end the Bentonville game.  A 5A school playing host to their neighboring 3A school will be a treat, and taunting them no less.  It should be a great atmosphere and hotly contested game.  Harrison has more athletes, but will have all the pressure to beat Bergman.  Bergman has absolutely nothing to lose in this one and should play without pressure)

Let's just come right out , why don't we,  and say it kind of ticked you off that our student section started chanting that  ;)    That's the feeling I got from your comment  ;)

Sounds like YOU are already lining up YOUR excuses by saying a 5A school should beat a 3A school by 20.  I think these teams are very evenly matched in talent and coaching.  It should be an exciting game. 

Little thought for the day ( don't let what people say on a sports message board get in your craw ;), after all, it's just a message board ;) and we all have our own thoughts and opinions )   

HawgDaddy

Since we are coming out in the open.......I must tell you that I too have lived in the area of over 30 years.  I have been involved with college and high school athletics around these parts for many of those years.  I can assure you that the only trash talking that I have heard comes from the parents. 

Yes, both schools are evenly matched, both schools are well coached, and both teams have great kids. 

I have made no excuses........I did find it humorous that the students were chanting "Bring on Bergman" because generally speaking, you should be chanting to bring on the bigger schools.  I just can't imagine Arkansas fans chanting "Bring on UCA".

Last but not least, what you said didn't get in my craw.......I was provoking a response, that's all.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas