• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whats the gas price in your town?

Started by Lions84, October 03, 2005, 10:20:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lions84

Marionpats07™

Bought it for a little over $3.00 yesterday. I am to the point where I just buy the freaking gas and not even look at the price anymore..

AB™

In Alma I filled up this morning at 3.04 per gallon at Wal-Mart(discount not included.)  I got back from Fayetteville just about an hour ago and it had gone up to 3.14 at Wal-Mart.  The other gas stations in town are about a nickel higher.

jacket87

Its about $3.15 in Russellville for most of the stations. It was just $2.99 yesterday.

COWGIRLUPAR

$3.05 in Sheridan

$2.95 at Walmart in Pine Bluff

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Mammal on February 20, 2008, 07:22:10 pm
Its about $3.15 in Russellville for most of the stations. It was just $2.99 yesterday.

23 cent price spike at the Valero by Tech. They got a new load of gas, Tuesday, and stayed at 2.91, then no new load, and they go up to 3.14....

Lions84

How gas is going up when global supply is high and the weather been good is beyond me.  I can not believe the Refinery going down in Big Spring Tx can cause this amount of a Spike. Plus all these investors are pushing Oil back behond $100.00 a barrell.

SouthpawSensation

There needs to be something done about this.
Any time it goes up, it's anywhere between 5 to 16 cents per gallon in a day, and I witnessed a place going up 40-something cents in one week. Yet, you never see it drop in the same fashion -- just one or two cents or so per week if you're lucky these days.

bulldogs1159

edghog

Quote from: Lions84 on February 21, 2008, 04:35:08 pm
How gas is going up when global supply is high and the weather been good is beyond me.  I can not believe the Refinery going down in Big Spring Tx can cause this amount of a Spike. Plus all these investors are pushing Oil back behond $100.00 a barrell.
Let me answer if I might. Here are a few FACTS. Oil is a global market, effected by many many circumstances or possible circumstances. We are past our peak production for hydrocarbons which means we have hit & passed max production on a finite resource. We are using 1000 barrels per second of oil in the world. (Thats 42000 gallons per second). We are not finding, nor will we be able to find, significant new reservoirs. Although supply is finite and on the decline, demand is increasing by the minute with the booming economy of China and others. In a year or two, $3/gal gas will seem cheap. All these but the last one are fact. The last one is my opinion, but I think based on fact, it is right on.

Don Quixote

Quote from: edghog on February 21, 2008, 05:24:52 pm
Let me answer if I might. Here are a few FACTS. Oil is a global market, effected by many many circumstances or possible circumstances. We are past our peak production for hydrocarbons which means we have hit & passed max production on a finite resource. We are using 1000 barrels per second of oil in the world. (Thats 42000 gallons per second). We are not finding, nor will we be able to find, significant new reservoirs. Although supply is finite and on the decline, demand is increasing by the minute with the booming economy of China and others. In a year or two, $3/gal gas will seem cheap. All these but the last one are fact. The last one is my opinion, but I think based on fact, it is right on.

Please explain your math...

edghog

Quote from: Razor Slayer on February 21, 2008, 05:32:15 pm

An oilfield barrel of oil is 42 gallons. Not to be confused with a 55 gallon drum.

Don Quixote

Quote from: edghog on February 21, 2008, 06:00:46 pm

An oilfield barrel of oil is 42 gallons. Not to be confused with a 55 gallon drum.

Now it makes since, ty.

edghog

Quote from: Razor Slayer on February 21, 2008, 06:04:08 pm
Quote from: edghog on February 21, 2008, 06:00:46 pm

Now it makes since, ty.
You're welcome.

HorseFeathers

Well since you keep coming up with answers...why isn't there more research money put toward alternate fuel sources? Or am i just ignorant of these(outside of the experimental hyrdrogen stations that are supposed to be running by now)?  I think I read somewhere, that Hydrogen can be produced at something like 2.40 something a gallon...Oh yeah one more question how the heck can the E.P.A say that cars and trucks that get 40-50+ miles to the gallon do not meet standards??

RHS

Quote from: HF on February 21, 2008, 10:45:19 am23 cent price spike at the Valero by Tech. They got a new load of gas, Tuesday, and stayed at 2.91, then no new load, and they go up to 3.14....

It was down to like 2.99 today, by far the cheapest on this side of town (don't know about Pilot and Flying J).

edghog

Quote from: HF on February 22, 2008, 12:23:59 am
Well since you keep coming up with answers...why isn't there more research money put toward alternate fuel sources? Or am i just ignorant of these(outside of the experimental hyrdrogen stations that are supposed to be running by now)?  I think I read somewhere, that Hydrogen can be produced at something like 2.40 something a gallon...Oh yeah one more question how the heck can the E.P.A say that cars and trucks that get 40-50+ miles to the gallon do not meet standards??
The problem right now is that all the alternate fuel sources combined could not begin to rival hydrocarbons as the main source. There simple is not a replacement  How much research money is enough? Who gets it? Billions are being spent in an effort to come up with a viable replacement. Nothing is standing out as a leading canidate.
The E.P.A. is a government agency. Maybe the true problem is with the government....... Definition of government: 1) control: rule.
Don't take me the wrong way on this issue. I don't like it anymore than you. But education tells us that it is not the "big bad oil companies" that are the culprit. The culprit is the insatiable thirst for energy that our world has, coupled with a decline in production of it's energy source. Basic supply demand principle. Besides, at $3/gal, we pay less than half what the other industrialized countries pay.

Lions84

It taking into consideration that we have large untaped Oil fields in AK and all along the US Gulf coast.

edghog

Quote from: Lions84 on February 22, 2008, 11:15:22 am

It taking into consideration that we have large untaped Oil fields in AK and all along the US Gulf coast.
Yes, there is more to be found. Much more. But the bottom line is that we are not, nor will we be able to, find more than we are using. According to the world energy experts. I can provide some interesting links if you want them.

Rizzo

Lions84

Marionpats07™

AllSmiles

PHIL IS MY HERO aka RTVM

February 25, 2008, 12:30:27 pm #1975 Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 12:33:26 pm by PHIL IS MY HERO aka RTVM
Quote from: edghog on February 22, 2008, 10:22:51 am
"big bad oil companies" that are the culprit. The culprit is the insatiable thirst for energy that our world has, coupled with a decline in production of it's energy source. Basic supply demand principle. Besides, at $3/gal, we pay less than half what the other industrialized countries pay.

Who would ever think that a company that records record profits of 10 billion dollars in one quarter would be the culprit??? 

Let's do that math. 

10 Billion in three months
3.3 Billion in one month
111 Million in one day
4,625,000.00 in one hour
77,083.00 in one minute
and a measly 1284.73 per second. 

Oh yeah, that's not sales, thats PROFIT!!!!

And exxon isn't the only one. 

R D Shell recorded 9 Billion profits up 68% in the third quarter
B.P. recorded 6.5 Billion profits in the third quarter
Chevron-Texaco recorded 3.9 Billion profits in three months

Everybody wants to point to Chevez, but where is Citgo on that list?

Just another Tidbit.  Exxon's total sales for the third Quarter about 100 billion, is larger than all but 38 countries GDP! 

When you can buy 100,000 barrels of oil, creating a false demand, which decreases your supply, then NEVER take delivery of said purchase, you are creating a false "supply and demand"  So you can throw your theory out the window. 

and BTW, we sell about 4 million gallons of fuel a month, so I know a little about oil as well :)

True Believer

edghog

February 25, 2008, 02:25:24 pm #1977 Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 03:23:08 pm by edghog
Where is Microsoft on your list of top profits? Where were you 10 years ago when most oil companies were struggling to survive? Honestly, gasoline has doubled in $/gallon in 10-15 years. Most things we use have atleast doubled in that same amount of time. If you're so smart, why don't you just tell all the experts the answer? One last question. Do you have any idea the number of jobs created worldwide by these record profits? I didn't think so. Exxon, like most energy companies, plows a huge amount of that profit back into the ground so people like you will have your precious fuel. Talking about biting the hand that feeds you.

Throwback1

I"m pretty sure we don't have a consitutional right to gasoline.

edghog

Fortune 500 top 10 by profits:
Walmart
Exxon
GM
Chevron
Conoco
GE
Ford
Citigroup
Bank of America
American Intl.
Only 3 oil companys made the top 10. Only 4 made the top 20. I'm extremely sure that we don't have a constitutional right to own a vehicle. But that didn't stop 2 of the top 10 from being auto manufacturers.

PHIL IS MY HERO aka RTVM

While I ten to agree with you, I'm not the one that came up with some lame ask excuse about supply and demand.  I was just simply stating a proven fact.  While I also can't stand Wal-Mart, that really is apples and oranges.  WM makes it's money on 2500 staple products combined.  Exxon made theirs on one! 

Heck, I loath for the days of .25 margins on gas.  It seems they have gone away as well, to make room for the .03 to .05 margins.  It would tickle me to death not to sell a single gallon of fuel, and to sell more of those .99 cent bottles of water and a few more chicken strips or pizza sticks.  Throw in a good fountain drink, too! 

PHIL IS MY HERO aka RTVM

February 25, 2008, 04:19:30 pm #1981 Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 04:25:47 pm by PHIL IS MY HERO aka RTVM
And, while your list is very accurate on total revenues (sales) you are not accurate on total profits.  Exxon had more profits in 2006 than any company, in the world, EVER in one year.  And on track for 2007 as well. 

Wal-Mart had 11 Billion in profits, while exxon had 40 BILLION!

Look for yourself.  Also, GM, which made your number three, lost almost 2 Billion las year. 

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune500/2007/full_list/index.html

Throwback1

<------------  Finally...the day when we all have horses hitched up outside might finally be returning...let it be. (Told ya I was born 100 years late.)

PHIL IS MY HERO aka RTVM

Lee Raymond, the once CEO of exxon, was given an exit package worth 400 Million dollars.  HE GETS FIRED, AND GIVEN 400 MILLION TO LEAVE!!!

Any jobs like that at Wal-Mart?

edghog

February 25, 2008, 06:04:43 pm #1984 Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 10:09:27 pm by edghog
Take a look at # 49, Microsoft 44MMM in total revenues. 12MMM in profit. Now that's what I want some of.
Actually, Exxon has more than one product. Many more. Granted that most come from Crude and their biggest product is gasoline but saying they only have one product is just not correct. So many things are made from crude. Gasoline is just one. Also, Exxon is one of many that find, produce, refine, market and distribute their product. From exploration to end user, they do it all. I'm not taking up for them believe me but it seem to me that anyone that has anything to do with oil now days is the bad guy. It just ain't so. 

PHIL IS MY HERO aka RTVM

Still, microsoft profitted 12.2 billion.  Exxon profitted 39.5 Billion.  Look, you gave the examples, not me.  Exxon has more products, sure, but they made their money in light sweet cruede.

I saw a study where it takes appox. 7.00 to 8.00 to get a barrel out of the ground, on shore, in a barrel, and in a warehouse.  Now, I'm all for profits, heck I want some too, but that seems a little absurd. 

edghog

February 25, 2008, 09:57:26 pm #1986 Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 10:08:34 pm by edghog
Quote from: PHIL IS MY HERO  aka RTVM on February 25, 2008, 09:22:57 pm
Still, microsoft profitted 12.2 billion.  Exxon profitted 39.5 Billion.  Look, you gave the examples, not me.  Exxon has more products, sure, but they made their money in light sweet cruede.

I saw a study where it takes appox. 7.00 to 8.00 to get a barrel out of the ground, on shore, in a barrel, and in a warehouse.  Now, I'm all for profits, heck I want some too, but that seems a little absurd. 
You're barking up an empty tree. Microsoft total revenue
about 44 B Profit 12 B. Exxon revenue 347 B Profit 39 B. About 8 times the revenue but only about 3 times the profit.
Go back to your page and click on return on revenue. Microsoft jumps to #13 while Exxon is not in the top 50. Probably not in the top 100. Much much more risk. I can't speak confidently on oil but I can on natural gas. It's costing us 4 times what it was in 1998 to find CH4 but net $/MMBTU is not 4 time what it was in 98. More like 3.5. So if anything, our profit margin has shrunk in the last 10 years. So has big oil's.

PHIL IS MY HERO aka RTVM

Well then, I have a questions for you.  If you were in retail, would you rather sell 20 items at 1.00 that cost you .50 cents, (10.00 profit) or would you rather sell 40 items at .80 cents that cost you .50 (12.00 profit)

Your GPM is down, but your profit is up 20%.  It is all about the volume in oil. 

As for your gas theory.  So your cost is up 400% in the last 10 years, but your GPM is ONLY up 350% in same 10 year span.  What is wrong with you?  350 % MORE PROFIT than 10 years ago, and you are taking up for these people??? 

If that was any other product in America, there would be lots of people in federal prison. 

Heck, in Arkansas, we have a division within AG DM's office just for this.  Price gouging, anyone???

fastdrop

Quote from: PHIL IS MY HERO  aka RTVM on February 26, 2008, 09:03:07 am
Well then, I have a questions for you.  If you were in retail, would you rather sell 20 items at 1.00 that cost you .50 cents, (10.00 profit) or would you rather sell 40 items at .80 cents that cost you .50 (12.00 profit)

Your GPM is down, but your profit is up 20%.  It is all about the volume in oil. 

As for your gas theory.  So your cost is up 400% in the last 10 years, but your GPM is ONLY up 350% in same 10 year span.  What is wrong with you?  350 % MORE PROFIT than 10 years ago, and you are taking up for these people??? 

If that was any other product in America, there would be lots of people in federal prison. 

Heck, in Arkansas, we have a division within AG DM's office just for this.  Price gouging, anyone???
Everything is connected to fuel prices. Except for the avg. persons salary. Freight prices are going out the roof. Companies like Wal-Mart just pass the cost on down. I agree with Phil. It is out and out robbery by Exxon.

edghog

OK, it's got nothing to do with Exxon's hard work & shrewd business practices over the last 20 years that got them in the position that they are in today? Sounds like jealously on your part to me.
You better get used to record profits from oil companys. It's only going to get worse.
You tried to make a point earlier about a false supply issue. Do you seriously think the measly amount of oil that the U.S. is stocking up on is dramatically effecting supply & demand issues? And as far as not taking delivery yet, that is very common in this business.
You know, deep inside, I wish you were right but when the world is consuming 1000 bbls every second, the amount you are talking about is a drop in the bucket. Did you know that China is adding about 14000 cars every day? Your so good at math, figure that. But arguing with someone that is dead set that they are right is a no win situation. I'll just go with the world experts on this issue. Finally, to answer your question, I'm not in retail, thank goodness. 

PHIL IS MY HERO aka RTVM

Quote from: edghog on February 26, 2008, 11:34:22 am
Sounds like jealously on your part to me.
Are you kidding me?  jealous?  I make my living on oil.  I realize that it might be bigger an issue with you than it is with me, but my wife is the heir to 60 gas stations that have combined yearly sales of about 200 million dollars.  Her dad has worked his entire life in the business, and thank goodness, it has paid off well for him and his children.  His brother has 100 stations.  So, I guess you are correct, I'm jealous. 

I'll just go with the world experts on this issue.
Hey, I'm an idiot that has no clue what I am talking about.  You have made that perfectly clear, all the while refuting my every post.  While you are online, go ahead and hedge you a couple hundred thousand barrels of LSC, since you are "going with the world experts"

Finally, to answer your question, I'm not in retail, thank goodness. 

That's no surprise.  You never did answer the question. 

HorseFeathers

dang...Did I stir up the hornet's nest or what...

Has anybody else heard of a supposed oil field under the painted desert now?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: RHS on February 22, 2008, 02:13:47 am
Quote from: HF on February 21, 2008, 10:45:19 am23 cent price spike at the Valero by Tech. They got a new load of gas, Tuesday, and stayed at 2.91, then no new load, and they go up to 3.14....

It was down to like 2.99 today, by far the cheapest on this side of town (don't know about Pilot and Flying J).

And back up to 3.09 yesterday at 3 p.m...After being 2.99 when I came into town this morning...It's fricking crazy.

ReconSniper

Miner Nation

The cheapest fuel in Bryant is $2.99.

HorseFeathers

I think the cheapest in Vegas is Wal Mart at 3.04 don't know about Flying J and Pilot though..
Dover is down to 3.10...
Hector was 2.99 last I heard, but Keith has probably put it up to about 3.20 now
And Tilly is 3.50 LoL
Heard that is was around 3.25 in Jasper to..

edghog

60 gas stations. $200 million. Sounds lucrative. Almost 1/4 billion. From just 60 stations. My my. How much are they charging for that $.05 cup O coffee? Wonder how many stations Exxon has worldwide?

PHIL IS MY HERO aka RTVM

Quote from: edghog on February 26, 2008, 01:24:32 pm
60 gas stations. $200 million. Sounds lucrative. Almost 1/4 billion. From just 60 stations. My my. How much are they charging for that $.05 cup O coffee? Wonder how many stations Exxon has worldwide?

Most of the exxon's are either jobbers or franchises.  Although there are many company stores, pull their financials, and you will see that they lost money in 2006 on their stations. 

And furthermore, where can I get that coffee for a nickel?  I'll buy a whole truckload if you tell me where. 

PHIL IS MY HERO aka RTVM

i will try to order that.  Now, does that come with cups, lids, creamer, sugar, stirs, coffeemate, filters, pots, machines, and a bean grinder for that much? 

Our average cup of coffee costs us around 32-36 cents.  We sell two sizes.  one at .99 and one at 1.29.  Still leaving around a 65 to 70 GPM.  Like I said, I would much rather sell that than a gallon of gas! 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas