• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alma Basketball Arena Floods

Started by AT, July 07, 2019, 09:44:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AT

July 07, 2019, 09:44:26 pm Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 09:56:23 pm by Almatrackster
Perhaps not basketball news, but kinda is. Alma's arena flooded from faulty pipe lines. Millions of dollars of damage in not only the arena, but the classrooms down there as well.

Since this is a public school board facebook page, I don't mind sharing it:

https://www.facebook.com/carriejerniganalmaschoolboard/

Mrs. Jernigan is walking through all of it, and you can hear her walking on the water throughout and shows some damage in the arena and out. Floors aren't salvageable. Not good news at all.

It is all able to be fixed is the good news, the bad news is the cost.

sevenof400

I hope the contractor (or whoever) just adjusted the water main has good insurance.
Wow.
And while there is not enough to consider here already, the mold abatement for a building of this size will be very costly as well. 

Brian G

bleudog

July 08, 2019, 03:44:58 pm #3 Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 03:48:05 pm by bleudog
Best wishes on dealing with the damage.

A side question though.  I've never seen a school board president set up a Facebook page, especially a page with what I assume is her own name in the title.  Does Alma not have a superintendent to be its spokesperson for an incident like this?

sevenof400

Quote from: bleudog on July 08, 2019, 03:44:58 pm
Best wishes on dealing with the damage.

A side question though.  I've never seen a school board president set up a Facebook page, especially a page with what I assume is her own name in the title.  Does Alma not have a superintendent to be its spokesperson for an incident like this?

Obviously I have no personal knowledge of this situation or the Alma school board but in a case like this, I can understand why a school board member might want to do this.  A school board member can be a spokesperson just as much (and perhaps better) than the Superintendent.  Bottom line: the public (the taxpayers) deserve to know what is going on and a school board member reports (is accountable) to the public.  I know we are all aware of this but I say that to say the following... 

I wonder how other school board members feel about this.  There is always the old retort that if people want to know what is going on, they will come to the school board meetings.  But given how too many school board meetings are run these days, where most discussion takes place outside of the actual meeting. most meetings turn into rubber stamping festivities.  To be clear, I am NOT throwing this accusation at Alma specifically, rather school boards in general.  If her Facebook postings get more people involved in the decision making portion of the educational process, good.     

Ever try to read the school board minutes and learn anything of value from them OTHER than what was motioned and passed?  There is seldom any notes regarding discussions that occurred on a topic (which should be a part of board minutes).  School boards are becoming further removed from the public by design (in some cases) and through apathy (in other cases).  Clearly this is not a positive trend. 

Are there good school boards and good school board members - certainly.  But more are needed.  If this school board member's posting help the public stay informed of the issues being faced by the district, one would hope that more people would actually get involved in their local schools.  I see her posting as a push factor along that process.   

AT

bleu, I think Mrs. Jernigan just wants to speak on the school board's behalf rather than for Mr. Woolly, the super, which I agree with and respect.

Supers and school boards seemingly function as one smooth machine, but in reality, they should be two separate entities who work well together.

Also, I believe what she is doing is popular amongst Alma citizens. That is just from my own personal experiences and disucssions, though. People like to hear from someone they elected.

Chief_Osceola™

Dang that sucks.  Alma has a REALLY nice arena.

Brian G

It's fixed and open now.  Just within the last week.

AT

Yeah, it actually came together alot better than initially thought. Much of the damage was in the classrooms, but the carpet was replaced and they prioritized that.

The arena came together and it is still mid-volleyball season. I don't know if they will end the year in the arena or not. Basketball won't have to play a game in Crabtree unless they want to. I think some were excited as the prospect of a partial season in Crabtree.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas