• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who will be the new AD at Southside?

Started by ricepig, May 23, 2016, 08:12:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian G

Southside?  He was the district AD.

But you do bring up an interesting thought.  AD's for each.

ricepig

Quote from: B.G. on May 23, 2016, 09:48:12 pm
Southside?  He was the district AD.

But you do bring up an interesting thought.  AD's for each.

Can't sweat the small stuff, but you're correct, you'd think each school would have their own.

Baitshop

We've lost our Superintendent and our AD to this debacle that was begun by our school board and then exasperated by a local Attention idiot...err, attorney name Joey McCutcheon. Coach Rowland and Dr. Gooden have had their names dragged through the mud by the shameless pandering of one individual. Unfortunately, I believe that the list of long time administrators at Southside that are tired of Joey McCutcheon's childish rants and threats has at least one more name on it. We shall see in the coming weeks.

As for as whom will take over these positions from these men, I'm not sure that the list would be long to jump into this unnecessary fire.

Black and Gold

Baitshop, I've seen numerous people calling Jim a moron and a coward. Funny because those people have never met him and don't understand the full situation. Jim Rowland did not quit over a mascot change. You're spot on in your assessment of what's going on with McCutchen. I remember hearing that guy say how much he loves Jim and how Jim is like his second father. What a load of crap...

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Black and Gold on May 23, 2016, 11:56:21 pm
Baitshop, I've seen numerous people calling Jim a moron and a coward. Funny because those people have never met him and don't understand the full situation. Jim Rowland did not quit over a mascot change. You're spot on in your assessment of what's going on with McCutchen. I remember hearing that guy say how much he loves Jim and how Jim is like his second father. What a load of crap...

Jim Rowland stated he resigned as a direct result of the mascot issue.  I am the first to admit that I felt Coach Rowland was overdue to retire.  But it should have happened on his terms, not the terms of that little cockroach Joey McCutchen.  Here is McCutchen's Facebook account of his meeting with Rowland last Friday:

"I met with Athetic Director Jim Rowland personally last week. My message was simple: The name Rebels is not racist. If the Rebel name is racist, then Jim Rowland is racist because he allowed the Rebel name to be used for 45 years as Southside High School Head Coach, SHS Assistant Principal, and Athletic Director. I know that Jim Rowland is not a racist, I know I am not a racist and I know thousands of Fort smith residents supporting the Rebel name are not racists. I asked Jim Rowland to intervene and he said it was a school board decision and that was his boss.

My second message to Jim Rowland was that if he truly believes the name REBELS is racist and he has allowed the name to be used for 45 years, then he should demand to have his name removed from the Southside stadium out of respect for students of all races.

There are thousands that support the Rebel name. The school board elections last fall proved this to be true. The school board will vote tonight to push the millage issue back because of the "REBEL" issue and other issues. Our Superintentent resigned/retired. Because of a defect, the Southside football field will be ripped up in early July and the name Mavriks put down at a substantial cost to taxpayers. President Mehl admits the "REBEL issue" will be decided by the voters in September.

President Mehl needs to stop the frivolous, wasteful spending of taxpayer dollars now on Mascots and spend it on a roof at Southside, textbooks and computers. The issue is not going away and has the support of our community."

McCutchen most certainly pushed for Rowland to retire as another part of his selfish agenda.  McCutchen is willing to burn the whole thing down to accomplish his purposes.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: ricepig on May 23, 2016, 09:59:33 pm
Can't sweat the small stuff, but you're correct, you'd think each school would have their own.
I don't know how it works at Southside but at Northside Falleur has the title of "athletic director'

Pr8hd

Quote from: Black and Gold on May 23, 2016, 11:56:21 pm
Quote from: Baitshop on May 23, 2016, 10:59:41 pm
Unfortunately, I believe that the list of long time administrators at Southside that are tired of Joey McCutcheon's childish rants and threats has at least one more name on it. We shall see in the coming weeks.

As for as whom will take over these positions from these men, I'm not sure that the list would be long to jump into this unnecessary fire.

I assume you may be referring to longtime Principal Wayne Haver, who I think was blindsided and been caught in the middle of all this. It's time Joey lets this thing go IMO. I know he wants the board gone, but some are getting caught by his supposed "friendly fire" in all this. Even with the board gone, I don't see this ever going back so I am not sure what his agenda is now other than to sling mud, call names, spend money, and waste time.

Okieback

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on May 24, 2016, 08:55:41 am
I don't know how it works at Southside but at Northside Falleur has the title of "athletic director'

I think that means "site" ad,  like some big multi school districts have site "athletic coordinators"

busterdouglas

So this attorney sees fit to make it an personal agenda to end the careers of 3 long time servants of Fort Smith School district over a MASCOT?  I will get people fired, that's ok, as long as we get to use a nickname.  This is what's wrong with America.  And I hate that a city of people are standing by and watching or participating in this series of events.  Hopefully one day this guy will stand in front of his maker and explain the importance of the mascot and why it was worth the damage he has caused.  I bet that's an argument that attorney wont win.

Lions84

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2016/may/24/fort-smith-halts-tax-vote-to-find-new-s/

I see the Board and the Super are getting Voter Push back .  2 change the mascot board members were voted out and now the rats are fleeing the sinking ship.

7AFball

My take on things is that decades and decades of history all over these United States, dating back even to the late 1800s, are going down the drain as if they did not happen, all in the "newly found" Politically Correct scenario. Well, that destroys the history of PEOPLE who have lived through many decades and fought through social issues and did pretty good, with an improvement of social interaction in the USA. Unfortunately, so many want change NOW and immediately when they feel "offended"..

It would be a sad world if all countries changed and deleted history due to short term dissatisfactions instead of working through things, albeit a bit slow for some. Destroying history is NOT the way to handle current issues, just for political correctness... JMHO.  The above certainly pertains to this Rowland situation, the school system and long time fans and parents within the school system. Sure is going to destroy fond memories of a day gone by, when political correctness takes over as never before seen. Most politicians in our US Congress can not change things in 6-7 years and argue on and off without getting anything done, but that is OK? But some people tend to use strong arm tactics sometimes to change their LOCAL issues and situations. I guess one can say "that is life" and perhaps that is what we have to accept, or fight back for what is the 'right thing' to do and not destroy history of so many. I hope people can become more respectful of others, especially when "history" is involved. I am not from Fort Smith but wish all concerned a reasonable, happy ending to this current situation.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Okieback on May 24, 2016, 10:19:38 am
I think that means "site" ad,  like some big multi school districts have site "athletic coordinators"
Well yeah, Falleur is the director or coordinator for Northside.  A funnel from Rowland's office to all the other programs at the school.

Black and Gold

Quote from: busterdouglas on May 24, 2016, 10:47:28 am
So this attorney sees fit to make it an personal agenda to end the careers of 3 long time servants of Fort Smith School district over a MASCOT?  I will get people fired, that's ok, as long as we get to use a nickname.  This is what's wrong with America.  And I hate that a city of people are standing by and watching or participating in this series of events.  Hopefully one day this guy will stand in front of his maker and explain the importance of the mascot and why it was worth the damage he has caused.  I bet that's an argument that attorney wont win.
I feel like its not got anything to do with the mascot. I'd say McCutcheon has his own hidden agenda.

Wahls

Just personally, I think that "paying tribute" to a fallen nation whose entire creation was for the purpose of owning human beings, is unbelievably tasteless. That's a chapter of history to remember, not glorify.

That said:

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on May 24, 2016, 08:54:39 am
My second message to Jim Rowland was that if he truly believes the name REBELS is racist and he has allowed the name to be used for 45 years, then he should demand to have his name removed from the Southside stadium out of respect for students of all races.

If you are unable to change your mind over the course of 45 years without being labeled as inconsistent, then I can't think of a single person who could be labeled as consistent.

Coach Venny Slocombe

This whole thing is absolutely crazy...

1. The mascot is not racist and is a tradition at SOuthside since inception.
2. This is all a result of a tragedy that happened in South Carolina. Knee jerk reaction by the SS board.
3. Why didn't the board follow the rules.
4. It would be interesting to hear exactly how Benny Goodman and Jim Rowland feel about the change.
5. And last but certainly not least, why is everyone bashing on a guy that stands up for what he believes in? In a world that has become so politically correct it is a breath of fresh air. Jim Rowland didn't have to resign. He could have stood up for what he believes whether it be for the mascot change or against. So is everyone just supposed to agree and move on when the school board makes a decision they don't agree with? I think more people should have stood up.

BRING BACK THE REBELS!

Grizzlyfan

May 25, 2016, 11:16:30 am #16 Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 08:48:41 am by Grizzlyfan
Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on May 25, 2016, 10:12:28 am

2. This is all a result of a tragedy that happened in South Carolina. Knee jerk reaction by the SS board.
4. It would be interesting to hear exactly how Benny Goodman and Jim Rowland feel about the change.
5. And last but certainly not least, why is everyone bashing on a guy that stands up for what he believes in? In a world that has become so politically correct it is a breath of fresh air. Jim Rowland didn't have to resign. He could have stood up for what he believes whether it be for the mascot change or against. So is everyone just supposed to agree and move on when the school board makes a decision they don't agree with? I think more people should have stood up.

BRING BACK THE REBELS!
Well look what the cat drug in.

1.  the symbolism is racist.  You saying it isn't doesn't change the reality.  Familiarize yourself with Southside's history and why those symbols were chosen as messages of segregation and white isolation.
2.  What spurred the school to get rid of the Confederate flag back in the 90's?  Everyone knew the symbols were offensive and that they should go.  But that's all that could be accomplished at the time.
3.  No rules were broken by the school board.  All such arguments were dismissed in court. 
4.  Dr. Goodman (actually Gooden, but you are an expert on all things) and Coach Rowland have spoken publicly about their desire to get rid of the symbols.
5.  Joey McCutchen is bat crap crazy.  And he comes by it honestly.  Check out daddy Joe's writings at www.arkansasfreedom.com  This is how Joey was raised.  Anti-Catholic, Anti-Jew, Anti-Immigrant.  Black folks really come off pretty good in Joe's manifestos.  Unless of course they want to move into a white neighborhood.

Wahls

May 25, 2016, 05:05:41 pm #17 Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 05:08:49 pm by Wahls

The Nazi flag isn't "racist" either. It's just a flag of a political party who controlled Germany that represents a time period where leaders decided that they should torture and kill 12 million "undesirables".

I don't think we should be flying that one, either.

The question has never been "is it racist"? The question is, are you so tone deaf that you actually believe that we should glorify a flag and a nickname that most iconically symbolize a fallen nation created for the sole purpose of owning and torturing other people - oh and lets do it at the practically all-white school too.

Black and Gold

The confederates sole purpose was not to own and torture other people. Go back to class, they may have tried to teach you that in school, but that's not the truth.

Economic and social differences between the North and the South was a prime factor. Then you have the issue of state versus federal rights. There's much more to the succession than just "the South's sole purpose was to keep and torture slaves."

beach bum

Quote from: Black and Gold on May 26, 2016, 10:52:25 am
The confederates sole purpose was not to own and torture other people. Go back to class, they may have tried to teach you that in school, but that's not the truth.

Economic and social differences between the North and the South was a prime factor. Then you have the issue of state versus federal rights. There's much more to the succession than just "the South's sole purpose was to keep and torture slaves."

Yes, and the southern states always seem to take up 7 out of 10 of the worst rankings when you track any social or economic category to this day so I would say those economic and social differences are still there currently. Every time I see that flag waving I want to ask them why they are proud of ranking last at everything. I would never be proud to be last at anything. Every time I see an adult with that flag it looks like they haven't bathed or brushed their teeth in weeks. Don't take them seriously people.....

AT

A question I have is would this have all blown over if they just would have waited out the reactionaries of the South Carolina murders?

I know of two schools in Arkansas with a Rebel mascot and no one is making a big deal out of those. Of course, Fort Smith is the 2nd largest city in Arkansas while these other two schools are located in smaller towns.

I just think that if the school board had not made it an issue and waited it out, then we'd be sitting here not even thinking about Southside having the Rebel mascot.

Road_Dogg

"Joey McCutchen received a B.A. in Zoology from the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville." I always thought Joey's B.A. was in Cryptozoology!

Everything started to make perfect sense once I found out Joey has a degree in how best to run a zoo. He's well on his way now!

DAWGGONE

BRING BACK THE REBELS!

Playing Dixie at a school event has racial overtones - no getting around it - SS School board made a choice Coach Rowland agreed with the change. Coach was at Central when everything went down with integration back in the day - I would say he has a pretty good handle on racial tension. Coach is a good man - A true man of character - I applaud his effort to resign and avoid the drama. When you are his age - you work as an act of love - its not about money or anything else.

Mccutcheon is a bottom feeder - he makes promises that he cannot keep and he is seeking attention in some form or the other. South Side has a strong program if they had the talent of larger schools to the north they would never lose a game . I hope this blows over soon and I hope SS doesn't lose Jeff Williams along the way

Wahls

May 26, 2016, 05:55:01 pm #23 Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 05:59:59 pm by Wahls
Quote from: Black and Gold on May 26, 2016, 10:52:25 am

That didn't take long. That's #2 in the "heritage not hate" starter pack, the good 'ol "I can't list a real reason why, but you are ignorant and need to read a history book".

Class is in session.

Quote from: Succession Statement from TexasWe hold as undeniable truths that the governments of the various States, and of the confederacy itself, were established exclusively by the white race, for themselves and their posterity."

Quote from: Succession Statement from Alabama:It is the desire and purpose of the people of Alabama to meet the slaveholding States of the South, who may approve such purpose, in order to frame a provisional as well as permanent Government.

Quote from: Succession Statement from Mississippi:"...and have denied the right of property established in fifteen of the States and recognized by the constitution; they have denounced as sinful the institution of slavery. They have permitted open establishment among them of societies, whose avowed object is to disturb the peace and eloign the property of the citizens of other States."

Quote from: Georgia Secession Statement:"The people of Georgia have ever been willing to stand by this bargain, this contract; they have never sought to evade any of its obligations; they have never hitherto sought to establish any new government; they have struggled to maintain the ancient right of themselves and the human race through and by that Constitution."

I could quote the entire Cornerstone Speech. Here's a snippet.

Quote from: Alexander Stephens, Vice President of the Confederacy"Many governments have been founded upon the principle of the subordination and serfdom of certain classes of the same race; such were and are in violation of the laws of nature. Our system commits no such violation of nature’s laws. With us, all of the white race, however high or low, rich or poor, are equal in the eye of the law. Not so with the negro. Subordination is his place."

But most importantly, whether or not you want to try and argue the absurd point that it was PURELY innocent and ONLY for "economic" reasons - the fact still remains that the Confederacy was founded to own "property". It's very clear.

Black and Gold

Before you go any further, let me say I do not support the confederacy. I'm with beach bum, whenever I see someone flying that flag, it looks like your typical trailer trash who hasn't bathed or showered in weeks. But to say the south seceded strictly to own slaves is incorrect.

Wahls

Quote from: Black and Gold on May 26, 2016, 06:46:40 pmBut to say the south seceded strictly to own slaves is incorrect.

"I see your facts, I can provide no counter argument based on any sort of substance, but you are wrong."

Touche. Even I can't argue with that.

Baitshop

May 26, 2016, 10:34:41 pm #26 Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 10:37:19 pm by Baitshop
Quote from: beach bum on May 26, 2016, 11:00:28 am
Yes, and the southern states always seem to take up 7 out of 10 of the worst rankings when you track any social or economic category to this day so I would say those economic and social differences are still there currently. Every time I see that flag waving I want to ask them why they are proud of ranking last at everything. I would never be proud to be last at anything. Every time I see an adult with that flag it looks like they haven't bathed or brushed their teeth in weeks. Don't take them seriously people.....

Stereotype much..??..??

And if the South is so backward why are all of those elites from the North moving/retiring here with the filthy illiterates...??

Baitshop

Quote from: Almatrackster on May 26, 2016, 11:25:35 am
A question I have is would this have all blown over if they just would have waited out the reactionaries of the South Carolina murders?

I know of two schools in Arkansas with a Rebel mascot and no one is making a big deal out of those. Of course, Fort Smith is the 2nd largest city in Arkansas while these other two schools are located in smaller towns.

I just think that if the school board had not made it an issue and waited it out, then we'd be sitting here not even thinking about Southside having the Rebel mascot.

In a word, yes...

Road_Dogg

Quote from: Baitshop on May 26, 2016, 10:40:17 pm
In a word, yes...
Joey McCutcheon is still an idiot. His degree in zoology is serving him well at this point.

Otherwise, Johnny Reb, Dixie and the Southside Rebels are  tradition and not something other than a mascot, song and slogan for a great high school. Get real people!

Brian G

Reports are Joey has given up the fight.

Black and Gold

Saw that posted on facebook. Didn't read about it though.

Baitshop

As I've stated to other folks today, Monday night Joey got a taste of what it is like to be the rabbit instead of the fox. He and his guy Wade Gilkey decided that they didn't have stomach for that and took a huge step back from their recent rhetoric. Unfortunately, because of McCutchen, the city of Fort Smith and our school district has paid a huge price with the resignation of Dr. Goodin and Coach Rowland so that Joey McCutchen could have his day in the sun...

Wahls

Quote from: Baitshop on May 27, 2016, 05:38:00 pm
As I've stated to other folks today, Monday night Joey got a taste of what it is like to be the rabbit instead of the fox. He and his guy Wade Gilkey decided that they didn't have stomach for that and took a huge step back from their recent rhetoric. Unfortunately, because of McCutchen, the city of Fort Smith and our school district has paid a huge price with the resignation of Dr. Goodin and Coach Rowland so that Joey McCutchen could have his day in the sun...

I'm not sure I quite understand how this McCutchen guy wielded so much power. Can you explain?

ricepig

Quote from: Baitshop on May 27, 2016, 05:38:00 pm

They can always change their minds, this is America. This is America, right?

piggy

Quote from: Wahls on May 27, 2016, 05:41:23 pm
I'm not sure I quite understand how this McCutchen guy wielded so much power. Can you explain?

Joe McCutchen was as an all state qb at Ft Smith Southside

Lived there all his life

He is passionate about this

AirWarren

Quote from: piggy on May 27, 2016, 07:16:29 pm

Joe McCutchen was as an all state qb at Ft Smith Southside

Lived there all his life

He is passionate about this

So he lives in the past off high school accomplishments?

That's cool.

beach bum

Quote from: AirWarren on May 30, 2016, 07:02:33 pm

That's cool.

Comments like these are why you are one of my favorite posters on here. Man, did that make me laugh....

WPWells

Quote from: AirWarren on May 30, 2016, 07:02:33 pm

That's cool.

+10000

Baitshop

He would be only one of hundreds here on FF....(Greenwood dad's Gladiator walk)...

,-)

Brian G

I'm still basking in my 1981 FFA State Forestry State title.

AirWarren

BRING BACK THE REBELS!

What's funny is that fort smith or that part of Arkansas isn't even the old south. It's basically Oklahoma. People in Mississippi, Georgia, and Alabama would laugh at the fact that some town in northwest Arkansas is trying to be "southern". It's the Midwest.

Brian G

AirWarren

Quote from: Baitshop on May 30, 2016, 09:07:19 pm
He would be only one of hundreds here on FF....(Greenwood dad's Gladiator walk)...

,-)

The gladiator walk. Please stop haha

With that said, I could care less if a school has a rebel mascot. I think as a nation we have a lot more we need to worry about than a school mascot. But that's the affairs of our nation. Get hacked about something that doesn't even matter while something that does matter kicks us in the nuts over and over while we ask "please sir can I have some more."

AirWarren

Quote from: beach bum on May 30, 2016, 07:11:49 pm
Comments like these are why you are one of my favorite posters on here. Man, did that make me laugh....

I'll be here all night folks. Ha

AirWarren

Quote from: B.G. on May 30, 2016, 09:11:16 pm
1982. Man...

:D

AirWarren

Quote from: B.G. on May 30, 2016, 09:11:38 pm

I was showing my daughter my gold medals and high point trophies from swimming. Told her I could beat Michael phelps. She 7 and has no idea who Michael phelps is. But hey, just trying to get on Joey "all state all day" McCutchen's level.

Brian G

Yeah, I was good. :)

I have a lot more but you are only supposed to keep 3 on the jacket.  I also hold a record(shared by few) of being a 3 year FFA member and never taking a dip/chew.

AirWarren

Brian G

Quote from: AirWarren on May 30, 2016, 09:45:03 pm
That BG kid...he can spot some timber.
ID specialist!  I tied for 3rd high at Regionals in Louisiana and missed my Sr Awards Ceremony for the trip.  I was originally going to study forestry in college but the UA didn't have a degree and I wasn't going to Monticello(no offense).  I switched to Ag Econ.

AirWarren

You would have loved the UAM forestry program.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas