• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

GW's Connor Noland Offered By Arkansas

Started by Pr8hd, April 28, 2016, 12:43:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Road_Dogg

Quote from: zebradynasty on May 10, 2016, 11:47:07 pm
Against PB he did throw for a TD on a trick play. We had a reserve DB in and he misplayed the ball. It was a decent throw just not something to be in awe of.

That throw was a DIME!

zebradynasty

Quote from: Road_Dogg on May 11, 2016, 07:01:12 am
That throw was a DIME!

No, it was deep throw and the reserve DB who I think was junior got caught going for the fake sweep but recovered enough to make a play but misjudged it. The throw was accurate enough but it wasn't like he threaded the needle between the corner and safety 40 yards down field.

Quote from: Road_Dogg on May 11, 2016, 06:42:43 am
Yeah, the other DB was probably the one out robbing people and places. So, anyone could understand.

No he was the one that made all-state but was injured and had to come out for a few plays. I seriously doubt you understand anything.

Oldbadger

I didn't see the play in the PB game, but in the Benton game it sounded as if it were the same play.  The reason the play worked is that you have one QB running the ball down your throat, then you bring the other in and expect the same thing.  So, the new QB acts if he is going to run, but suddenly drops back and passes after the Dbacks committed to the run.  My whole point in bringing this up was, I don't think the play would have worked as well had the new QB been in the whole game. It really wasn't a trick play, just a well called play, at the right time.

zebradynasty

The point I made was that the few plays he played against us I didn't see anything that would make me think he was a major college D1 prospect as QB. That is all.

Baitshop

Quote from: Road_Dogg on May 11, 2016, 06:42:43 am
Yeah, the other DB was probably the one out robbing people and places. So, anyone could understand.

Because that's what black people from Pine Bluff do, in your opinion...??

Yep, you are definitely from Greenwood.

SMDH

zebradynasty

Quote from: Baitshop on May 11, 2016, 10:52:23 am
Because that's what black people from Pine Bluff do, in your opinion...??

Yep, you are definitely from Greenwood.

SMDH

Well I think his remark was a dig at one of our players who recently got into some major trouble with the law. I have no idea what that has to do with this subject nor was this player involved in the play I was commenting on. He made a chickenish statement but like you said...

Oldbadger

I was fervently hoping that information would never enter these boards.  Thankfully, we should never judge any group of people by the actions of a few, or in this case, by the actions of one.  If that were not the case, we all would be judged and most likely not favorably. 

Pr8hd

Quote from: Oldbadger on May 11, 2016, 12:01:47 pm
I was fervently hoping that information would never enter these boards.  Thankfully, we should never judge any group of people by the actions of a few, or in this case, by the actions of one.  If that were not the case, we all would be judged and most likely not favorably. 

+1 Badger
I think that is well said and agree completely. Maybe Bait will read it too and take some of it to heart about his generalization statement of the people from GW or as he prefers to call us, "the other team from South Sebastian County".

ricepig

Quote from: zebradynasty on May 11, 2016, 08:53:16 am
The point I made was that the few plays he played against us I didn't see anything that would make me think he was a major college D1 prospect as QB. That is all.

I don't think you're in a position to comment on his scholarship offers, but neither I'm I. I suspect all the OC's and HC's have seen enough to make their offers, though.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: ricepig on May 11, 2016, 12:49:12 pm
I don't think you're in a position to comment on his scholarship offers, but neither I'm I. I suspect all the OC's and HC's have seen enough to make their offers, though.
Well we do know that his offer from UCLA was based on nothing more than his camp performances.  So somebody was impressed.  But as Bait as said, how many times is a multiple d1 QB offer recipient the backup on his high school team.  Or QB1b.  However you want to look at it.

bulldogmom

One of my son works in sports (not at Greenwood) he said this Noland kid is something special. I don't want to get to wrapped up in you all and your pickering but from what I hear he is truly talented, well mannered and makes good grades.  What has been said to me is when he truly gets his chance and if he has guys around him that can catch really hard thrown balls, then we will see what the College coaches already see in him.. I at first was a Hales supporter all the way and now the more I learn about this kid,  the more I want a chance to see him really play. Let the kids battle it out. I don't care about who is on this or that or who does what. Also as adults let's try to be the adults. We should all love to see kids from our state succeed!

Baitshop

;)
Quote from: bulldogmom on May 11, 2016, 02:58:51 pm
One of my son works in sports (not at Greenwood) he said this Noland kid is something special. I don't want to get to wrapped up in you all and your pickering but from what I hear he is truly talented, well mannered and makes good grades.  What has been said to me is when he truly gets his chance and if he has guys around him that can catch really hard thrown balls, then we will see what the College coaches already see in him.. I at first was a Hales supporter all the way and now the more I learn about this kid,  the more I want a chance to see him really play. Let the kids battle it out. I don't care about who is on this or that or who does what. Also as adults let's try to be the adults. We should all love to see kids from our state succeed!

First of all, welcome to the board bulldogmom. I also have heard from a couple of GW coaches that young Mr. Noland is an exceptional kid, talented, and easy to coach. The question still remains, why would a such an exceptional and highly recruited young man (9+ offers) would have to even consider sitting behind a young man that has 0 (zero) offers to wait his turn?

My opinion still is that small town politics will carry the day on who the starter is next year and that the Noland's will need to consider their other options. And as I have stated previously, I'm not sure that if it were my son, I would be willing to sit or split time considering the difference in offers. Either way, GW will be in fine shape at the QB spot when the season opens.

Hey, it's not like Nolan could not be successful in another offense somewhere else. And if he is not getting a considerable amount of snaps he will not be getting the max out of the CRJ coaching.

Now, as for as your asking that the "adults act like adults" here on the board....well, good luck with that one. 

zebradynasty

I can comment on what I personally saw...which was nothing! I'm not saying they (colleges that offered) are wrong all I can say is what I saw he did nothing (not in terms of quality) in the game we played to show me he was major D-1. I hope that UA did see something but it wouldn't be the first and not the last time a UA offer was questionable.

ricepig

Quote from: zebradynasty on May 11, 2016, 03:31:14 pm
I can comment on what I personally saw...which was nothing! I'm not saying they (colleges that offered) are wrong all I can say is what I saw he did nothing (not in terms of quality) in the game we played to show me he was major D-1. I hope that UA did see something but it wouldn't be the first and not the last time a UA offer was questionable.

Yet, when others have commented that certain Zebra's weren't D-I material, you quickly told us otherwise, lol. My point is, neither you or I know what they, being 9 different D-I schools, see in him.

Oldbadger

My concern is that all these schools may feel they see something and are just getting their names in the pot.  The bad thing is, if they don't see something "real" soon, say this year or at the latest next, it is very easy to say, "we have all the QB's we need", "sorry". Happens every year.  Ohio state coach is the worst at over committing.

zebradynasty

Quote from: ricepig on May 11, 2016, 03:39:22 pm
Yet, when others have commented that certain Zebra's weren't D-I material, you quickly told us otherwise, lol. My point is, neither you or I know what they, being 9 different D-I schools, see in him.

Is this on ??? Dude...he didn't do ANYTHING. You're over analyzing this had Nick Saban, Dabo Sweeney, or Jerry Jones been at the game they would say the same thing. I'm not criticizing his play there was very little to see to criticize.

ricepig

Quote from: zebradynasty on May 11, 2016, 04:41:19 pm
Is this on ??? Dude...he didn't do ANYTHING. You're over analyzing this had Nick Saban, Dabo Sweeney, or Jerry Jones been at the game they would say the same thing. I'm not criticizing his play there was very little to see to criticize.

Then why mention that what you saw in "one" game leads you to believe that there wasn't major D-I material? All any others have said is he has numerous D-I offers, why not leave it at that. The offers aren't based off his play in this game, simple as that.

Road_Dogg

Quote from: zebradynasty on May 11, 2016, 03:31:14 pm

Yeah, well, Texas A&M, Arkansas, UCLA, Kentucky, Missouri, North Carolina, all see the same thing between each other. While Oklahoma, TCU, Florida, Florida State, Oregon, Notre Dame, and Tennessee have all been calling wanting to set up days to come watch him throw. Why don't you make the drive up to Greenwood and watch him throw for all the respected schools that are coming in to see him, since you can evaluate talent so well....

zebradynasty

Quote from: ricepig on May 11, 2016, 05:14:09 pm
Then why mention that what you saw in "one" game leads you to believe that there wasn't major D-I material? All any others have said is he has numerous D-I offers, why not leave it at that. The offers aren't based off his play in this game, simple as that.

My first post on the subject:

Quote from: zebradynasty on May 10, 2016, 04:06:12 pm
Wish I could have seen more of him in the Championship game last year. Watching huddle hasn't got me pumped up on him yet. :-\

All the rest is your interpretation of things I did not say.

Road_Dogg

Quote from: ricepig on May 11, 2016, 05:14:09 pm

The fact he was in for one play and it was a touchdown pass from him (1/3rd of their points scored) is impressive.

Baitshop

Quote from: Road_Dogg on May 11, 2016, 07:16:14 pm
The fact he was in for one play and it was a touchdown pass from him (1/3rd of their points scored) is impressive.

But not impressive enough to get any more snaps..??

Lol....you must be a relative.

Road_Dogg

Quote from: Baitshop on May 11, 2016, 09:43:49 pm
But not impressive enough to get any more snaps..??

Lol....you must be a relative.

I'm not the coach, so I couldn't answer your first question.

No, not a relative.

Oldbadger

Quote from: Road_Dogg on May 11, 2016, 07:16:14 pm
Just think, two more plays, 35 to 28 Greenwood.  Oh well.  Maybe next year..

Road_Dogg

Quote from: Oldbadger on May 11, 2016, 10:59:59 pm
Just think, two more plays, 35 to 28 Greenwood.  Oh well.  Maybe next year..

Haha I like your thinking!!

Anyways, it has been a long time since I've been on this site (5-6+ years). Figured I would mess with some people on here. I couldn't remember my old user name and/or password.

blueandwhite

How about maybe they just like Greenwood? Maybe they are happy where the recruiting process right now, and don't see any reason to leave.

Even better yet, they might believe in the word loyalty, and live with their decision that they are at Greenwood. Instead of jumping to another school because little Johnny is not getting enough playing time and the coaches are holding him back from being the GOAT

bulldogmom

Quote from: blueandwhite on May 12, 2016, 11:54:50 am
How about maybe they just like Greenwood? Maybe they are happy where the recruiting process right now, and don't see any reason to leave.

Even better yet, they might believe in the word loyalty, and live with their decision that they are at Greenwood. Instead of jumping to another school because little Johnny is not getting enough playing time and the coaches are holding him back from being the GOAT
Great Post! I did have to look up what GOAT stands for. From what I understand this boys family has lived in Greenwood and they obviously moved back for a reason. I am sure they knew about what they were moving back to. Talk about preparing a kid for competition. Moving back to a small town where the heir apparent for the job you want has a family that is waist deep in the school board and all aspects of the high school. ( I am not knocking Hales, he is not a bad player.) After that you ready to take on the world!

bulldogger15

Quote from: bulldogmom on May 12, 2016, 05:09:31 pm
Great Post! I did have to look up what GOAT stands for. From what I understand this boys family has lived in Greenwood and they obviously moved back for a reason. I am sure they knew about what they were moving back to. Talk about preparing a kid for competition. Moving back to a small town where the heir apparent for the job you want has a family that is waist deep in the school board and all aspects of the high school. ( I am not knocking Hales, he is not a bad player.) After that you ready to take on the world!
Doesn't matter how Noland got to Greenwood at all. After listening to the state baseball game vs Texarkana last night all I care about is if he stays! Wow, what a game!

Noland has already become the most highly recruited player to come out of Greenwood in any sport. The crazy part is that he's only a sophomore. He could very well become one of the highest rated athletes to ever come out of Arkansas in baseball, football or both.

I've heard from the Greenwood football coaches that Noland's football offers are in the double digits now and the baseball coaches believe he could be a 1st or 2nd round selection in the 2018 MLB Draft. Tough choice for the kid in a couple years.

I would love to see him be a Razorback, but right now the whole town of Greenwood is enjoying what this kid brings to our community. Hopefully, EVERYONE in the State of Arkansas will enjoy what this kid brings back to all of us very soon. Connor Noland is a very impressive athlete, student and young man. People all over Arkansas should be proud of how he represents us all.

If you want hate on Greenwood, fine, but hating on this kid is a big mistake.

GO BULLDOGS!!!

Baitshop

Who on this thread has said a negative word about Noland..??

zebradynasty

Quote from: Baitshop on May 13, 2016, 09:02:46 am
Who on this thread has said a negative word about Noland..??

Well if you don't agree he's the next John Elway....then you're trashing him!

Oldbadger

Since there are minimal stats for football, someone give us a rundown on baseball stats, for example:  ERA, Batting average, 60 speed, pitching speed, first pitch strikes, SO's, walks, etc.  That will give us some idea of what the baseball coaches are looking at and seeing.

The Future

Man I can't wait til September gets here and gives us something else to talk about.

Road_Dogg

Quote from: Oldbadger on May 13, 2016, 09:55:41 am
Since there are minimal stats for football, someone give us a rundown on baseball stats, for example:  ERA, Batting average, 60 speed, pitching speed, first pitch strikes, SO's, walks, etc.  That will give us some idea of what the baseball coaches are looking at and seeing.

This what it said in the paper today
Noland has struck out 60 batters and has walked 9 on the season and has an ERA of 1.875. He is also leading the Bulldogs in Batting (.364), Slugging (.565) and Extra Base Hits (13).

Oldbadger

Baitshop

Kid touches 90+....as a sophomore.

Legit arm.

Oldbadger

That should get him a D-1 offer from a lot of schools. That and his other stats.

bulldogger15

Quote from: Oldbadger on May 13, 2016, 09:44:17 pm
That should get him a D-1 offer from a lot of schools. That and his other stats.
Already has. More to come. Several college football coaches are scheduled to visit Greenwood next week to watch Noland throw at spring practice. Greenwood football coaches said the Bulldogs baseball team state playoff success will be the determining factor as to how many college football coaches visit next week.

Noland's baseball offers will increase throughout the summer as college coaches will have finished up their seasons and begin hitting the tournament and showcase circuits hard.

GO BULLDOGS!!!

Road_Dogg

Looks like Alabama was at Greenwood's football practice this morning to watch Noland throw. The GW coaches said they've had 15 or 16 D1 coaches pass through and 11 have offered so far and they expect many more to offer soon. Arkansas OC Enos was at practice again on Monday as well.

I bet Coach Rick Jones is having one heck of a time with all the interest in Noland. Maybe we'll land a few more offers for other Bulldogs while these college coaches pass through.

zebradynasty

Quote from: Road_Dogg on May 24, 2016, 10:02:54 am
Looks like Alabama was at Greenwood's football practice this morning to watch Noland throw. The GW coaches said they've had 15 or 16 D1 coaches pass through and 11 have offered so far and they expect many more to offer soon. Arkansas OC Enos was at practice again on Monday as well.

I bet Coach Rick Jones is having one heck of a time with all the interest in Noland. Maybe we'll land a few more offers for other Bulldogs while these college coaches pass through.

I think that Coach Jones is trying to figure out how he's going to bench a 2 year starter his senior year! LOL!

bulldogger15

Quote from: zebradynasty on May 24, 2016, 10:12:02 am
I think that Coach Jones is trying to figure out how he's going to bench a 2 year starter his senior year! LOL!
We had tremendous success with the two quarterback system until we went away from it late last season. I don't think Coach Rick Jones will make the same mistake again this year. I would almost guarantee you Noland will be in the game for more than 2 plays if we're fortunate enough to make it back to the state championship game this coming season.

It should be interesting to see how many offers Noland receives since he's already into double digits on his football offers as a sophomore. Tremendous athlete and an even better young man. Greenwood is very proud of Connor Noland and happy he and his brother Peyton came back to Greenwood! Both are fine young men.

GO BULLDOGS!

Pr8hd

May 24, 2016, 01:34:29 pm #89 Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 01:38:20 pm by Pr8hd
I don't know if Noland would have made a difference in the state game. PB adjusted a little better and just wore us out some in the lines of scrimmage in the second half. Odds are Noland would have been under the same pressure too. We don't know if he would or could have made a difference or not. It was one thing to go 2 way QB system against a poor Springdale team or some others last year, but PB was loaded with talent and had a very good secondary. I think based on the Benton game especially, CRJ stuck with the "horse" that got him there and tried to go with the "hot" hand or legs in the case of Benton game.   

IMO, I think our lack of a strong run game and break downs in protection at times hurt more so than one QB or the other in that particular game. Hales was a a non-factor running like he had been in previous games leading up to that and the RB's could not get going as well. We did not have the speed advantage and Hales could not bull over PB like he had previous teams.Hales was not crisp on some throws, but made some others. Conner's pass he did throw was on the money, it was a good play, good call and well executed.

Noland is very good (an elite type player obviously with the attention he is getting) and Hales is salty as well. Clearly, QB is set. They just got to find some weapons to produce at WR and RB since they lost their top guys in those positions. CRJ's been at this long enough, I reckon he knows what he's doing and will have them back in the mix again this year. This senior group 2016-2017 was one of the most successful groups ever coming up (while last years senior group was actually one of the least successful up thru junior high) and certainly having someone with Mr. Noland's skill set is going to do nothing but enhance GW's chances.       

Pr8hd

Quote from: zebradynasty on May 24, 2016, 10:12:02 am

Hales is actually just a 1 year returning starter- his Jr year last year in 2015.

Reid Wheeler was the starter over him when Hales was a sophomore in 2014.

catfish1

Greenwood may better open up an Airport for what I'm seeing . Good Kid!!!!!!!!!

Oldbadger

Love to see him in action from horn to horn.  Not convinced about him just by what has been said.  Offers are easy to give and easy to take back.  Nothing is binding until signed on the line.  I just think these big schools see some potential based on Greenwoods past success for producing QBs and want to get their name in the hat early so, if he does pan out, they have an offer in.

bulldogger15

Quote from: Oldbadger on May 24, 2016, 09:19:11 pm
Love to see him in action from horn to horn.  Not convinced about him just by what has been said.  Offers are easy to give and easy to take back.  Nothing is binding until signed on the line.  I just think these big schools see some potential based on Greenwoods past success for producing QBs and want to get their name in the hat early so, if he does pan out, they have an offer in.
Sorry Old badger, but you don't have a clue how the recruiting world works today. 15 schools have expended the costs from their recruitinf budget and traveled to the land of the Bulldogs to watch Noland throw. 11 D1 schools have offered as of today. Why? If Greenwood's past success in producing QB's were a big factor then Hales should have 20+ offers based on your rationale. Both Hales and Noland have thrown each time I've been there to watch them throw in front of the college coaches.

I would love to have a kid like Noland on my team just for the simple fact that he is a great student, respected member of the community and a tremendous athlete.

If offers are so easy to give why does Noland have 11 offers from very good schools and more to come while no other 2018 football athlete at any position in the entire state of Arkansas has half of that total. Offers are hard to get and I'm sure Noland's family is very happy about every single offer he's received.

Nothing is easy in the world today and the Noland kid works like no other.

Please tell me how many past Greenwood QB's have had success at the college level? It's a very short list Oldbadger. Do you seriously think that Greenwood's QB development is the reason for the offers? Stop kidding yourself Oldbadger....

GO BULLDOGS!!!

ricepig

Quote from: bulldogger15 on May 24, 2016, 11:59:50 pm
Sorry Old badger, but you don't have a clue how the recruiting world works today. 15 schools have expended the costs from their recruitinf budget and traveled to the land of the Bulldogs to watch Noland throw. 11 D1 schools have offered as of today. Why? If Greenwood's past success in producing QB's were a big factor then Hales should have 20+ offers based on your rationale. Both Hales and Noland have thrown each time I've been there to watch them throw in front of the college coaches.

I would love to have a kid like Noland on my team just for the simple fact that he is a great student, respected member of the community and a tremendous athlete.

If offers are so easy to give why does Noland have 11 offers from very good schools and more to come while no other 2018 football athlete at any position in the entire state of Arkansas has half of that total. Offers are hard to get and I'm sure Noland's family is very happy about every single offer he's received.

Nothing is easy in the world today and the Noland kid works like no other.

Please tell me how many past Greenwood QB's have had success at the college level? It's a very short list Oldbadger. Do you seriously think that Greenwood's QB development is the reason for the offers? Stop kidding yourself Oldbadger....

GO BULLDOGS!!!

How many of these 11 offers are committable? Unless, you are the player, parent, or his head coach, then you don't know. Now, the young man must have the talent to draw all of this attention, and theses coaches see further development of his talent. Good luck to Conner, and hopefully he doesn't know that FF exists, lol.

bulldogger15

Quote from: ricepig on May 25, 2016, 08:11:55 am
How many of these 11 offers are committable? Unless, you are the player, parent, or his head coach, then you don't know. Now, the young man must have the talent to draw all of this attention, and theses coaches see further development of his talent. Good luck to Conner, and hopefully he doesn't know that FF exists, lol.
Exactly...

Pr8hd

May 25, 2016, 09:24:01 am #96 Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 09:50:05 am by Pr8hd
Quote from: ricepig on May 25, 2016, 08:11:55 am

Oh, he knows it exists...I think I said last year he had a tendency to have "happy feet"  like many young QB's and was not real happy about that or so I was told, but then again he should know my assessment/comment means nothing as long as the CRJ or any of his many college suitors are not concerned. I won't be handing out any D1 offers any time soon and no one will be asking me for my assessment other than at the local barber shop perhaps. My daughter goes to school with him and speaks very highly of Connor as a person, says he remains very humble despite all the attention.

Those guys (coaches)  get paid to do that work, so their knowledge/opinions are far more important than any poster here on the board. He's a smart kid, he should know who to listen to and whom to ignore. They aren't offering the kid based on GW reputation alone...we have had several good QB's, but really only Tyler Wilson has enjoyed any sustained success to date at a high level.

Oldbadger

Well guys, I am not saying the kid is not worthy of all the attention that he is getting.  I am saying that I haven't seen anything to prove to me, as someone who had never met him and only saw him a couple of plays, that he is worth all this.  I'm sure he is, if I listen to all of you.  I certainly hope he goes to a major university then on to pro football and becomes a star.  I would be proud of him as someone Arkansas produced, in a way.  But from here to there is a long, long way.  I am just saying, I want to see him play.  I am sure he is a good kid, a good student and very humble, but that doesn't get you a scholarship.  Being able to produce does, and I simply haven't seen that yet. Sorry!

ricepig

Quote from: Oldbadger on May 25, 2016, 11:09:03 am
Well guys, I am not saying the kid is not worthy of all the attention that he is getting.  I am saying that I haven't seen anything to prove to me, as someone who had never met him and only saw him a couple of plays, that he is worth all this.  I'm sure he is, if I listen to all of you.  I certainly hope he goes to a major university then on to pro football and becomes a star.  I would be proud of him as someone Arkansas produced, in a way.  But from here to there is a long, long way.  I am just saying, I want to see him play.  I am sure he is a good kid, a good student and very humble, but that doesn't get you a scholarship.  Being able to produce does, and I simply haven't seen that yet. Sorry!

No, but those whose fortunes depend on 17-22 year olds have seen enough, that's what matters. I haven't seen the kid throw a football, so I have no idea of his abilities, I'll let the professionals decide.

GuvHog

Quote from: Pr8hd on May 25, 2016, 09:24:01 am
Oh, he knows it exists...I think I said last year he had a tendency to have "happy feet"  like many young QB's and was not real happy about that or so I was told, but then again he should know my assessment/comment means nothing as long as the CRJ or any of his many college suitors are not concerned. I won't be handing out any D1 offers any time soon and no one will be asking me for my assessment other than at the local barber shop perhaps. My daughter goes to school with him and speaks very highly of Connor as a person, says he remains very humble despite all the attention.

Those guys (coaches)  get paid to do that work, so their knowledge/opinions are far more important than any poster here on the board. He's a smart kid, he should know who to listen to and whom to ignore. They aren't offering the kid based on GW reputation alone...we have had several good QB's, but really only Tyler Wilson has enjoyed any sustained success to date at a high level.

Other than starting for 2 years at Arkansas what other sustained success at high level has Tyler had??

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas