• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Not trying to bring up past players but just curious to this question, better player Watson or Roark

Started by Thechosen1, September 01, 2015, 09:48:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WPWells

You asked about my football team. We may be 0-2, but we're still back-to-back state champs. How did Bay do two years ago?

phdefense

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on September 14, 2015, 10:06:55 am
The one who can't spell is calling others morons. Ironic
Someone not knowing the difference between ironic and hypocrisy being over critical about the text medium of communication. Do continue

FreeMoney

Quote from: Thechosen1 on September 14, 2015, 09:08:19 am
Great players go to bay to win, simple as that!
Ok I've been following this thread just for the comedy at times but I want to chime in on this. I prefer Roark just for his on court demeanor and classy approach! Now to this post I'm a little confused! Are the players great when they get to Bay or do they come to Bay and get great! That would make Cornett and several other coaches better than Brannen because they don't have great players every year but get more out of average players. Give Brannen the average to below average players at say Timbo and he would most likely get ran out of town. Ask Johnny Taylor( who is one of the best) what its like to not have any players. Brannen wouldn't know

RedWolf275

Oldref

Just caught up with all of this. Kind of unbelievable really how much venom is spread toward anything that has to do with Bay but I really understand it where it comes from....pretty easy to see that. BS and a few of his friends try and keep the hate going and do a really good job of it. No need to try and change anyone's mind I have just accepted it and I think everything is still going to be OK in the long run. It is a little bit of a stretch to think that Bay has only won games because of players who have moved in. I seriously doubt in the past 30 years there have been many schools with as many state tournament appearances and finals appearances as Bay. In the 90's Bay made the finals 4 times. Matter of fact Craighead county and NEA in general are always tough in Basketball year after year......look it up. Lots of good players/coaches and plenty of competition in your back yard make all the teams better. After Bay got upset in 2014 I was happy to finally see Concord win it all.......they deserved it and won it all with a great player leading them and a good coach. Bay has had a great run and hopefully it will continue in 2016. They have a great bunch of kids  returning and a great coach. Trying to compare high school coaches and say who can win with no talent or lots of talent is pretty subjective.......No matter what kind of comments this post gets Coach Brannen is a very good coach and his kids love to play for him. I have watched him make sure his kids get something to eat on road trips out of his own pocket many times. Like most coaches he is a father figure to many of his players. To say he is a less quality person or coach because he has talent is simply ridiculous. It takes a good mix of talent and coaching to make teams successful..... one without the other usually is  not going to win many championships.

Thechosen1

Quote from: Oldref on September 14, 2015, 07:23:23 pm
Just caught up with all of this. Kind of unbelievable really how much venom is spread toward anything that has to do with Bay but I really understand it where it comes from....pretty easy to see that. BS and a few of his friends try and keep the hate going and do a really good job of it. No need to try and change anyone's mind I have just accepted it and I think everything is still going to be OK in the long run. It is a little bit of a stretch to think that Bay has only won games because of players who have moved in. I seriously doubt in the past 30 years there have been many schools with as many state tournament appearances and finals appearances as Bay. In the 90's Bay made the finals 4 times. Matter of fact Craighead county and NEA in general are always tough in Basketball year after year......look it up. Lots of good players/coaches and plenty of competition in your back yard make all the teams better. After Bay got upset in 2014 I was happy to finally see Concord win it all.......they deserved it and won it all with a great player leading them and a good coach. Bay has had a great run and hopefully it will continue in 2016. They have a great bunch of kids  returning and a great coach. Trying to compare high school coaches and say who can win with no talent or lots of talent is pretty subjective.......No matter what kind of comments this post gets Coach Brannen is a very good coach and his kids love to play for him. I have watched him make sure his kids get something to eat on road trips out of his own pocket many times. Like most coaches he is a father figure to many of his players. To say he is a less quality person or coach because he has talent is simply ridiculous. It takes a good mix of talent and coaching to make teams successful..... one without the other usually is  not going to win many championships.
+1

BasketballNeverStops

Quote from: not so slim shady on September 14, 2015, 09:05:36 am
First off, Chosen1 you started this debate. Secondly, don't go calling people "high" and Roark "your boy" and then say I am not trying to be rude. Just my thoughts. Finally, if you want to solve the question of who recruits, get a yearbook from 2008-2009 and look at the 7th grade and junior teams. Then, get a yearbook from about 2013-2014 from the same school and look at the senior teams. Is anyone from Bay and Concord willing to look at their annuals and list those rosters for us?
Love this!!!

BasketballNeverStops

Quote from: Moonshiner on September 14, 2015, 09:12:01 am
Quote from: BasketballNeverStops on September 14, 2015, 12:06:18 am
"Outcoaching" LOL. You've got him so high on a pedestal because he has three rings. Some of the greatest coaches I know personally (Most of them are better coaches than him) have NEVER won a state championship. While rings are nice to have, they will ultimately not be what the coach is remembered for. You can have 20 rings but what does it matter if your kids don't remember you for being that drive to become a better player or motivate you to do great things in the future like a good teacher would? I've heard that John Hutchcraft really wasn't that great of a coach but how could that be if he has 9 rings? Too many times people focus on the bling on the hand and not the character, attitude, and work ethic of the coach. John Wooden won 10 national championships including 8 in a row, but you take all of that away, and he was still a great man because of the life he lived, helping others and pushing them to be better. This is why I'll take Cornett any day of the week, because that's how he is. Anytime I talk or hear about coaches that have had memorable careers, it's usually not "Boy, he sure has won a lot of titles", it's "Man, he's a good coach because he gets the best out of his players and keeps a positive mindset".

Very well said.  Not bashing Bays coach at all.  There are some excellent coaches out there that may never even win a regional.  if a school can find a coach that is knowledgable of the game, works hard, does things the right way, sets a good example, and teaches more than just basketball then they need to make sure they do whatever is necessary to keep the guy.  There are a lot of people out there that just do whatever it takes to win. We often forget that there are young eyes watching.  Great post.
Thanks! I completely agree with your post! I'm afraid that most will never truly understand it. (Its obvious on this thread who don't.) Jordan is not considered the GOAT just because he accumulated 6 rings in 8 years. Its because of his work ethic, passion for the game, and ability to make others around him better.

Backboard Shattered

Warhawkpa80

ErnestTBass

I'm partial to the Greers Ferry lake area myself! 10 minutes around Roark and Cornett and you feel like you are at a family reunion- the good type-- 10 minutes the other way and you walk away needing a drink! Andrews run tomorrow!

Warhawkpa80

where is Watson playing? I know Roark went to Harding but has since transferred.

Thechosen1

Quote from: Warhawkpa80 on October 20, 2016, 09:19:58 pm
where is Watson playing? I know Roark went to Harding but has since transferred.
No where. He decided not to play he's wanting to coach by what I hear

Backboard Shattered

Warhawkpa80

Thechosen1

Quote from: Warhawkpa80 on October 21, 2016, 02:04:05 pm
Well I guess that shows Roark is better, he is still playing college.
That doesn't mean a thing lol. Watson had more offers than Roark and could've played at Astate. Watson was better and his finals stats show that

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Warhawkpa80 on October 21, 2016, 02:04:05 pm
Well I guess that shows Roark is better, he is still playing college.

Roarke is at William Jewel college....not sure what level that is

Warhawkpa80

I don't think you can compare finals stats. There are many factors that go into one game. So Watson had more offers? How are you certain? Sounds like woulda coulda shoulda to me. Why are you so defensive sir chosen1

Backboard Shattered

Chosen 1 kept talking how Watson was a lot better than Roark then couldn't make any college team.  Maybe Chosen should do a lil more homework

Leadbelly

Quote from: hillbillyball on September 04, 2015, 09:14:32 am
Hard to compare Watson was a redshirt senior, give Roark another year in high school and its not even close. Roark best all-around by far. Best athletes were Revels of Emerson and both Jacksons of Emerson and Acorn.
Roark redshirted in Elementary did he not? Parents held him back in elementary school so he'd be physically more mature in high school ball, if not mistaken.

Leadbelly

Quote from: Backboard Shattered on September 09, 2015, 08:39:54 am
Old Ref did you ever see Keith Carter Joe Johnson or Keith Cornett play?
Uh.....One of these names definitely doesn't fit in this sentence. Hint- starts with a C and ends in ornett!

Backboard Shattered

I'm not Old Ref but I actually watched all 3 play.  Cornett was the best shooter of the 3.  Johnson NBA very smooth.  Carter could do everything well maybe the best athlete of the 3.  All 3 played D1 I believe. 

ErnestTBass

You are correct once again as usual! Your Correctness! El Correcto! Mr Correctal! Most High Correction! Ain't it hard to argue with lower seeds and keep a straight face

Warhawkpa80

Heard joe Johnson used to go to the Keith Cornett shooting academy in the summer.

Leadbelly

Yep, Joe, Jordan and Cornett won the Cleburne Co. 3-on-3 invitational back in the day!

bscinar

Watson over Roark - seen both play many times. Watson was faster and quicker hands.

Catfish

Quote from: Leadbelly on October 24, 2016, 02:52:14 pm
Roark redshirted in Elementary did he not? Parents held him back in elementary school so he'd be physically more mature in high school ball, if not mistaken.

No he was never held back. He did start school late though. Not for that reason though lol

Catfish

Quote from: bscinar on October 25, 2016, 09:59:03 pm
Watson over Roark - seen both play many times. Watson was faster and quicker hands.

Faster? Quicker hands? Seriously. Watson was a great player don't get me wrong, but I don't know about that statement. I might a little biased because I played with Roark for a couple years but the guys work ethic was unlike anything I have ever seen. Watson had about 3-4 inches on Roark. If Roark would have been taller there is no telling where he would have ended up. Definitely D-1

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas