• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Not trying to bring up past players but just curious to this question, better player Watson or Roark

Started by Thechosen1, September 01, 2015, 09:48:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Backboard Shattered

And as Shady said earlier Corncob Cornett from Concord was the best shooter I have ever seen!  Offensive juggernaut!  But I think Old Ref spent too much time scouting Woodstock if he thinks Watson is as good as Monk.  i suppose Ref watched him too front and center lol

Oldref

Quote from: Backboard Shattered on September 08, 2015, 05:25:16 pm
And as Shady said earlier Corncob Cornett from Concord was the best shooter I have ever seen!  Offensive juggernaut!  But I think Old Ref spent too much time scouting Woodstock if he thinks Watson is as good as Monk.  i suppose Ref watched him too front and center lol
Never said he was better than monk said he was best I have seen. I haven't seen monk but I expect he will probably be best most highly recruited player ever in Arkansas. Probably a nba player in a couple years. BS I can speak for myself so don't go putting words in my mouth.

Backboard Shattered

Thechosen1

Monk is def better than Watson and he should be by athleticism no doubt. But he does not have a state championship ring with an MVP on it. Might should've transferred into Bay ;)

Backboard Shattered

I think that's exact same thing Roark has lol Roark def better in my opinion due to the fact of being capable of taking his team to the tournament every year he ever played plus all the awards

Thechosen1

Well you've seen Watson play 3 times and watched Roark his whole career run through the horrible WSGF who did give him a run for his money in district his SR year? Concords program is no where near Bay's is. Proved that in 13 and with 3 titles in the last 5 years.

Backboard Shattered

all 4 yrs to state end of argument for me!  How many rings Watson got?

Thechosen1

Congrats he also got beat in the first round to a horrible Nevada team. Plus he had nobody to beat in the region, it's terrible everyone knows it lol

Backboard Shattered

Congrats Watson couldn't get out of region lost to Calico and that region didn't win a game in state at all that year right?

Moonshiner

Quote from: Backboard Shattered on September 08, 2015, 05:21:20 pm
Is Lance Hulse Bay superintendent?

Saw Lance score 65 one night. But he's not the Super at Bay. He could score with the best of them though. The older Davidson boy at Melbourne could score as well.  He went on to play at Duke.

Thechosen1

Did you see Watson's team and Roark's? Watson carried that team the whole year the year before he got there Maynard was 6-30 they went 29-7 when he got there lol that's a turn around

Backboard Shattered

Yep he did turn it around also wasn't good enough for the state tournament!  4yrs vs 2yrs!  Clear winner. Calico was a power house that year

Thechosen1

Backboard Shattered

bay has been good for sure but I'm talking about Watson not being able to get out of region in a region that couldn't win a game in state and Roark carrying his team there 4 straight.  That's the same year Bay lost to ICC also I believe they didn't get out of region either

HorseFeathers

Backboard Shattered

Backboard Shattered

Moonshiner

I believe Wllie played at Bryant.  He was a McDonald's all American that played at Arkansas for a short time, and then transferred to A-state.   Ricky Norton compared him to Isaiah Thomas.   Very good scorer and is considered one of the most talented players to ever play in Arkansas.

Backboard Shattered

Oldref

Quote from: Backboard Shattered on September 09, 2015, 08:39:54 am
Old Ref did you ever see Keith Carter Joe Johnson or Keith Cornett play?
Saw Carter and Johnson never saw Cornett play. Saw Rickey Norton and Willie Cutts play in college never saw them in high school.

Backboard Shattered

Moonshiner

I had actually forgotten about him until you started naming off all the big names from the past. 
There have been several players through the years that could score.  Watson was among the best but each to their own opinion.  Keith Carter played at Ole Miss.  From my understanding Arkansas tried to get him but it was too late.

Backboard Shattered

Nothing against Watson he can score but he doesn't belong nowhere near that group!  That's a big list

not so slim shady

If any one was curious- James Anderson will have on a Sacramento Kings jersey in a few months.

not so slim shady

The challenge to end all questions. A 2 on 2 match-up. Coach Brannon/Watson VS Coach Cornett/Roark. Winner has bragging rights. Johnny 'Basketball' Taylor will coach the Jackets and Irvin 'Irv the Perv' Fairfield will coach the Pirates. Two man Referee crew of Batman and Old Ref.  (Don't worry I'll bring some Geritol, ben-gay and ibuprofen). Color Commentators will be 12th Man and Backboard. Turd Ferguson and I will be security as Boss signs autographs and gets pics taken. Hey Backboard- go ahead and throw this scenario is your simulation machine. Let us know how it turns out.

Thechosen1

Moonshiner

BasketballNeverStops

I had not even heard of Watson until his junior year when he went on the scoring run at the NEA. Jacob was making headlines for ESPN as a sophomore when he earned Southeastern Player of the Week after having three straight games of 40+ points. And he also won the Antony Hobbs Spirit Award the next season, which is awarded to athletes who excel in both the classroom and on the court.

BasketballNeverStops

Quote from: Moonshiner on September 10, 2015, 09:48:20 pm
Brennan can't guard Cornett.  I imagine he doesn't even wanna try.
Cornett was the real deal man. I've seen articles of him averaging 45 PPG at one point his senior year. Went Division I and still holds the free throw percentage record at that school. Of course I wasn't alive to see him play, but I've heard many stories and talked to him many times about his playing days.

not so slim shady

I picture Cornett and Brannen with headbands, wristbands, and grape smuggling shorts.

Thechosen1

Quote from: BasketballNeverStops on September 10, 2015, 11:12:20 pm
I had not even heard of Watson until his junior year when he went on the scoring run at the NEA. Jacob was making headlines for ESPN as a sophomore when he earned Southeastern Player of the Week after having three straight games of 40+ points. And he also won the Antony Hobbs Spirit Award the next season, which is awarded to athletes who excel in both the classroom and on the court.
Probably bc he didn't play A ball. He averaged about 25 a game his freshman and sophomore seasons and I'm pretty sure he led hoxie to state for the first time in 65 years. And that's 3A I'm sure if he played A ball he would've done more

BasketballNeverStops

Quote from: Backboard Shattered on September 08, 2015, 07:33:05 pm
bay has been good for sure but I'm talking about Watson not being able to get out of region in a region that couldn't win a game in state and Roark carrying his team there 4 straight.  That's the same year Bay lost to ICC also I believe they didn't get out of region either
And I believe that winning a state championship with guys you've known your whole life and have basically been like brothers to you means more.

BasketballNeverStops

Quote from: Thechosen1 on September 10, 2015, 11:28:57 pm
Quote from: BasketballNeverStops on September 10, 2015, 11:12:20 pm
Probably bc he didn't play A ball. He averaged about 25 a game his freshman and sophomore seasons and I'm pretty sure he led hoxie to state for the first time in 65 years. And that's 3A I'm sure if he played A ball he would've done more
If you put Roark in 3A I still think he would've produced the same kind of results because of his IQ, mentality, and work ethic. I've seen numerous times on here where others would say that both Roark and Spencer Reaves from Cedar Ridge would be great all the way up to 4A, because they helped lead their teams to victories over teams whose schools were that size. Some said that they were two of the greatest players they had ever seen 1-4A.

Thechosen1

Watson did go put on a show at the sun senior classic and led his team to beat marquise pointer of Jonesboro he guarded pointer and held him to 7 points and Watson ended up with 29 winning MVP honors and a win. I believe Watson could've played anywhere 1-4A as well and make an impact in 5 and 6A too.

Backboard Shattered

I entered the contest into my simulaytor compooter!  Will give a detailed break down later. 

Backboard Shattered

It threw up errors saying 2 college basketball players vs 2 that haven't played college basketball!  I'll see if I can still push it threw

Run N Punch

Backboard surely it doesn't take that long!  I've seen all but Brannen play!  And it's got to be lopsided

Backboard Shattered

I'm on it my Commodore 64 is slow today!  Had to fabricate some stats just so it would let the simulayshun begin

Thechosen1

Brannen probably wouldn't have to play, by the looks of it from past expericnes he could just sit over there and coach against Cornett instead and pull out a win.

BasketballNeverStops

Quote from: Thechosen1 on September 11, 2015, 04:15:36 pm
Brannen probably wouldn't have to play, by the looks of it from past expericnes he could just sit over there and coach against Cornett instead and pull out a win.
I can almost guarantee you that Cornett is the better coach. 7 straight state tournament appearances, always got the most out of his kids, and was very successful with homegrown talent. As well as a title in basketball AND two titles in golf. Besides, didn't Brannen get thrown out of a exhibition game last season?

Thechosen1

Haha this is basketball bud not golf.. If he was the better coach why hasn't he won it all 3 of the last 5 years? Why did Cornett get out coached in 13? Lol you're argument is stupid if you wanna go there.

Backboard Shattered

So choosed1 do you want me to change the rules to Watson vs Roark and Cornett?  And Bradley coach Watson from the sideline? 

Moonshiner

Quote from: Thechosen1 on September 11, 2015, 06:30:49 pm
Haha this is basketball bud not golf.. If he was the better coach why hasn't he won it all 3 of the last 5 years? Why did Cornett get out coached in 13? Lol you're argument is stupid if you wanna go there.

In all fairness, what are the enrollment of these 2 schools and which school benefits more from talented move ins?  I think they are both good coaches.  If they swapped teams in 13, and coached the other team, which guy would win?

Silky Johnson

Homers will always pick their coach and you can't guarantee Cornett is a better coach. The only time concord has beaten bay was in a game that had nothing on the line. Bay then beat Concord in the most important game of the year that same season. Also Concord won their state title so the credit is due but the field of opponents wasn't just great,concord was also head and shoulders above everyone else. I think Brannen is winning 4-1 in the games head to head.
It was an exhibition game at ICC but they still won, doesn't matter now so I won't tell the story but comparing state appearances Cornett may have more but Brannen hasn't coached as long I don't think? You'd also have to take into account the teams played in those regionals but concord had made it to state plenty of times so there's no knocking that.

Silky Johnson

Roark and Watson is like apples to oranges. Watson could probably play in bigger divisions but he played in them where Roark didn't, that's all we have to go on. Watson has some pretty good accomplishments and Roark has many as well. Will say Watson had a better state title game than the 2 Roark had, you can't disagree with that.

Backboard Shattered

Well I'm pretty sure Cornett took Heber Springs to state and Pangburn.  As far as high school careers go I'd take Roark over Watson just for the shear fact that he always got his team there and Watson had to move to Bay to do it.  I think if they switched teams Roark would of won a title at Bay due to the fact he never cared about scoring at all.  Watson maybe would of won it at Concord but him not getting out of region when he was at Maynard shows me he needed more of a great team around him.  Their college careers can't be judged now since Watson isn't playing ball.  All in all 2 great ball players and coaches.  All this being said I still take Roark better skill set all the way around.  And some of his awards and accomplishments can't be compared.  ESPN ring a bell.  And for the Coaches Cornett doesn't move in kids non stop or he would have more titles than Brannen in my opinion.  But he chose to not take that route and he is the one that has to live with that.  Both good coaches and players I just side with the side that I prefer.  Tomorrow I'll give the game breakdown

BasketballNeverStops

Quote from: Backboard Shattered on September 11, 2015, 10:18:59 pm
Well I'm pretty sure Cornett took Heber Springs to state and Pangburn.  As far as high school careers go I'd take Roark over Watson just for the shear fact that he always got his team there and Watson had to move to Bay to do it.  I think if they switched teams Roark would of won a title at Bay due to the fact he never cared about scoring at all.  Watson maybe would of won it at Concord but him not getting out of region when he was at Maynard shows me he needed more of a great team around him.  Their college careers can't be judged now since Watson isn't playing ball.  All in all 2 great ball players and coaches.  All this being said I still take Roark better skill set all the way around.  And some of his awards and accomplishments can't be compared.  ESPN ring a bell.  And for the Coaches Cornett doesn't move in kids non stop or he would have more titles than Brannen in my opinion.  But he chose to not take that route and he is the one that has to live with that.  Both good coaches and players I just side with the side that I prefer.  Tomorrow I'll give the game breakdown
THANK YOU

Thechosen1

Doesn't change the fact that Bay beat concord in 13 and that coach Brannen has won a state title 3 of the last 5 years. Bay doesn't recruit yall just get mad when great players move there and they to bay for the shear fact of the tradition there and to play for a guy like coach Brannen. You're almost guaranteed a shot at a title because he will get you there.

RedWolf275

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas