• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Not trying to bring up past players but just curious to this question, better player Watson or Roark

Started by Thechosen1, September 01, 2015, 09:48:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Thechosen1

Not trying to bring up past players but just curious to this question, better player Watson or Roark? Who would you take?

yesteryearman

I did not see Roark play, but I have been watching Class A (Class B) basketball for over 30 yrs and Watson is as good as anybody I've seen.  I saw the kids from the Class B team that won the overall, and Ricky Norton, and the kid from Saratoga, and Watson may not have the pure athletic ability of some of those players, but I've not seen many that could shoot long range and control a game like Watson could.  Sorry about straying off topic by  bringing up past players......

Bigbird2012

Roark played with more sense and under control but Watson was defiantly the better player.

Ice Water

Without any hesitation, give me Roark. And that's nothing against Watson. He was a more explosive scorer. But Roark was the kind of guard coaches dream of building a team around.

Basketballfan13

Agree with ice, Watson was a better scorer for sure but you build a team around a player like Roark.

Silky Johnson

HorseFeathers

Moonshiner

Where all was Watson offered scholarship money to?  Roark is on scholarship at Harding isn't he? I think I'm correct on that. Both are similar players so it's a good question.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Moonshiner on September 02, 2015, 05:39:21 pm
Where all was Watson offered scholarship money to?  Roark is on scholarship at Harding isn't he? I think I'm correct on that. Both are similar players so it's a good question.

Roark is at harding, I wanna say Watson went to A State

RedWolf275

Watson may be at ASU but I haven't seen anything about it in the Jonesboro Sun. They cover ASU athletics heavily.

Moonshiner

Someone on here had said a while back he was walking on at ASU. Surely he had other offers.  He is talented enough to get money somewhere.  Just curious as to who recruited him.

Thechosen1

I've heard from a reliable source that Colton Watson will be attending black river for a semester because his ACT was not high enough, to get into ASU but after one semester at black river he will be transferring to ASU receiving a full 4 year scholarship.

Silky Johnson

Roark did make his guys better but they also all played together for at least 3 or 4 years. I know Hebert wasn't there until about jr. high but everyone else was. If you think Watson didn't elevate his team, especially in the post season, then you weren't watching. After all he did take a young team that got upset in regionals to a state championship season with all but 1 blow out victory the last 3 weeks of the season.

Silky Johnson

Also HF not saying you said Watson didn't push his team to new heights I was just clarifying that I think he did. I think Watson will be at ASU next semester at the earliest and next year at the latest. He had different scholarships from the smaller area schools and some out of state schools like William Penn but I don't know all of his offers.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Silky Johnson on September 02, 2015, 09:10:24 pm
Also HF not saying you said Watson didn't push his team to new heights I was just clarifying that I think he did. I think Watson will be at ASU next semester at the earliest and next year at the latest. He had different scholarships from the smaller area schools and some out of state schools like William Penn but I don't know all of his offers.

I'm just saying take roark out of concord and they don't make state, take watson out of bay, they make state(okay should make state lol)... wasnt a slight to Watson

FreeMoney

Silky Johnson

Brooks Taylor could score, I know everyone wasn't a fan but he won big games at BIC. If you're trying to put down Watson with your last comment, why exactly?

Backboard Shattered

I seen them both play.  Roark was def the better all around player.  Watson could score but he couldn't do what Roark could do.  IMO.  No one played harder than Roark and he had a great attitude!

Batman44

Since I am a big fan of BOTH of those guys, I must recuse myself of my opinion of which one I think best. The only reason for this particular post is to say I never realized BS had ever watched, much less played, enough bb to make an intelligent opinion either way:)

hogman

Quote from: FreeMoney on September 03, 2015, 01:10:22 pm
Watson and Brooks Taylor!! Remember him. Lots of similarities you wait and see!
the biggest similarity is the attitude they both had.

Backboard Shattered

I thought Watson missed some time due to discipline reasons?  Was that true?  Maybe a half or a game? 

Thechosen1

Shattered, you are the biggest disgrace to this website all you do is post about your "83 crew" who you probably wasn't even apart of or was waterboy one.. Lol well here ya go, no one cares about the 83 crew all we care about is watching Bay win multiple state titles while WSGF fails to make the regionals. Watson was the better player obviously or he wouldn't be playing at ASU while Roark is riding the pine at Harding. Roark didn't win it until there was a down year in A ball years past he couldn't get by who? Oh let's see the Yellowjackets, so while yalls teams down south continue to suck every year Bay will keep winning

WPWells

Backboard Shattered

Have you heard of the crew?  Is Watson playing at ASU?

Moonshiner

Quote from: Thechosen1 on September 03, 2015, 02:56:30 pm
Shattered, you are the biggest disgrace to this website all you do is post about your "83 crew" who you probably wasn't even apart of or was waterboy one.. Lol well here ya go, no one cares about the 83 crew all we care about is watching Bay win multiple state titles while WSGF fails to make the regionals. Watson was the better player obviously or he wouldn't be playing at ASU while Roark is riding the pine at Harding. Roark didn't win it until there was a down year in A ball years past he couldn't get by who? Oh let's see the Yellowjackets, so while yalls teams down south continue to suck every year Bay will keep winning

How was 2013 a down year and 2014 not?  Only because your team won it?  Bay was by far the best class A team last year, but getting a player like Watson as a move in made them 20 points better.  The rest of class A was no different in either year.  Concord was a quality team and their state title came against quality class A opponents.

Thechosen1

2013 was not a down year. I believe we took down Stephens who was 32-0 in the first round? Then beat Roark and concord his Jr year to win it after he had a terrible game. They go on in 14 to beat wonder view in the first round who had the same team I believe as last year and didn't get out of the first round, they were just lucky bay got upset in 14 lol

Thechosen1

They beat wonder view who this year had pretty much the same team and get beat in the first round this past year

RedWolf275

Backboard Shattered

Thechosen1

Basketballfan13

I'm confused...Is Watson actually playing at ASU or not? If not is he playing anywhere this year?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Basketballfan13 on September 03, 2015, 06:59:59 pm
I'm confused...Is Watson actually playing at ASU or not? If not is he playing anywhere this year?

From what I gathered on this thread, his academics(Maybe ACT weren't good enough to get into ASU), he's attending Black River Community College....

Backboard Shattered

Backboard Shattered

Thechosen1

J.D.

Quote from: Thechosen1 on September 03, 2015, 02:56:30 pm

Just stop. 

hillbillyball

Hard to compare Watson was a redshirt senior, give Roark another year in high school and its not even close. Roark best all-around by far. Best athletes were Revels of Emerson and both Jacksons of Emerson and Acorn.

Cinderella

Saw them both play several times. They might be the two best 1A guards to ever play in AR. BOTH of them made their teams better. Roark wanted to beat you. Watson wanted to tear your heart out. Roark is a better PG. Watson is more of a 2G. You have to remember Watson was a year older which does play a huge factor. Give Roark another year with that team and he has 2 rings. If I had to pick I would take both but thats not the question.

Better athlete: Watson
Better scorer: Watson
Better ballhandler: Roark
Better passer: Roark
Better Defender: Push
Better Rebounder:Watson
Better Kid: From what I have seen on the court Roark.

You have to love a kid that has Watsons killer instinct. He wanted to literally bury you. But if I had to pick a kid to get as a soph and coach up and develop for three years I'm taking Roark.

FreeMoney

My point on the Taylor/ Watson comment was both had good high school careers where they had built in advantages. Roark earned every bit of success that came his way minus those advantages. Furthermore Taylor never played one minute of significance in his entire short college career and I predict that Watson won't either. My prediction and opinion only

Thechosen1

I believe you're allowed 6 semesters of Jr high basketball, Watson played his first 7th grade year then he was held back because he was too young to be in that grade, so he played 7th grade again at Maynard and correct me if I'm wrong that's 4 semesters? Then he played his 8th grade year at Maynard this is all Jr high and that is 6 semesters I believe? In SR high basketball you are allowed 8 semesters. Watson transfers to Hoxie with his brother his 9th grade year and moved up to SR high basketball and plays at Hoxie his freshman and sophomore seasons and that would make 4 semesters. He transfers back to Maynard with his brother for his Jr season at Maynard and plays one year there then transfers to Bay for his SR season. I believe that's 8? If my math is correct and he graduated at the age of 18 if he graduated the year before he would've just turned 17. Yes I did just get that information to prove all of you Watson and Bay haters wrong but hey if you can't handle Bay winning you might wanna quit watching A ball. Let's go Yellowjackets!

Thechosen1

Quote from: hillbillyball on September 04, 2015, 09:14:32 am
Hard to compare Watson was a redshirt senior, give Roark another year in high school and its not even close. Roark best all-around by far. Best athletes were Revels of Emerson and both Jacksons of Emerson and Acorn.
Best athletes matter as you can tell it helped them win it

no mascot

Here's a couple of names that only the old folks will know. The Glover brothers... Brandon and Antario. Stephens high school legends!

Moonshiner

Quote from: no mascot on September 04, 2015, 08:58:11 pm
Here's a couple of names that only the old folks will know. The Glover brothers... Brandon and Antario. Stephens high school legends!

Remember the names well.  Great team.  Stephens was a a Class 2A school when they played.

BoxNOne

Quote from: no mascot on September 04, 2015, 08:58:11 pm

Those guys were really good. That undefeated 1998 Stephens team is right at the top of my all time 2A list.

BoxNOne

As for Roark and Watson I would go with Watson but not by much. Just seemed like every big game Bay had, he was good for 30+.

not so slim shady

BasketballNeverStops

As a former teammate and classmate of Jacob and getting to see Watson play 3 times, I'm gonna go with Jacob. He absolutely HATED to lose. Whether it be a pickup game or a real game, he always gave it his all. Even if he had a big test in a class the next day, he would be in the gym constantly working on his game. His work ethic is still the same as it was when he was younger. He made everyone around him better, and he didn't have to be the leading scorer every game for us to win. Of course he was capable of scoring 40-50 on any given night, but he was unselfish and passed on many open shots. Even if he wasn't scoring much he would rack up the assists and rebounds needed for a triple double. But the number one thing that clinches it for me is the attitude. Jacob was humble when he moved into second on the all-time scoring list and first on the all-time three-pointers list, saying that he had not thought about it to much, focusing more on the chasedown of the state title while at the same time thanking his coach, parents, and teammates. When we won it all in 2014, he was not upset at all that he only scored 10 points because he was more happy that everyone else had a great game in the finals. Compared to Watson, who had a temper problem to sit out a game for his actions. They are two of the greatest I've ever seen no doubt, but like many others, if I had to start a team with one of them it would be Roark. The work ethic, IQ, attitude, and unselfishness is all there. A true winner in my book.

BigLion10

yesteryearman

You may get a better picture of which player you would rather have by looking at their college careers, where each guy will be playing against really quality competition.  Correct me if I am wrong, but Roark spent freshman year at Harding, and did not play significant role, against quality, yet Division II competition.  Watson will be at ASU, Division I, playing against better competition.  So, we will see how big of a role he will play.  If he plays significant minutes and does well against Division I, then to me that would say that college coaches, at least the ones at Harding and ASU would prefer Watson over Roark.  The coach at ASU likely had an opportunity to recruit Roark but apparently did not.

HorseFeathers

Well I know Roark only averaged about ten minutes a game last season for 14-14 harding

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas