• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Junction

Started by Hornet4ever, November 25, 2014, 02:30:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hornet4ever

Will J.C. ever lose. After some research and digging on this time I've found that the under class man and reserves that are moving up right now may be more talented then the seniors and starters now. Will this go on and on? And on?  :P

MomaLion

Nothing is forever...look at Barton.

big E

My pappy always said son you don't have to mess with a good thing it will take care of its self.

cuz

November 25, 2014, 05:22:28 am #3 Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 10:30:33 am by cuz
Quote from: big E on November 25, 2014, 04:44:21 am
My pappy always said son you don't have to mess with a good thing it will take care of its self.
E, your Daddy could be right, for sure, but I lean towards the energizer theory and hope it goes on and on and  on....
There success didn't happen over night, but through a Coach who implemented a program that starts in Junior high and carries on through high school and who has surrounded his-self with good coaches who believe in the same program and theory. Every good thing must come to a end, but I hope it's not for a while yet........... ;)

Ventman

look at Greenwood. All good runs must end.

tacklethis...

Quote from: cuz on November 25, 2014, 05:22:28 am
Quote from: big E on November 25, 2014, 04:44:21 am
E, your Daddy could be right, for sure, but I lean towards the energier theory and hope it goes on and on and  on....
There success didn't happen over night, but through a Coach who implemented a program that starts in Junior high and carries on through high school and who has surrounded his-self with good coaches who believe in the same program and theory. Every good thing must come to a end, but I hope it's not for a while yet........... ;)

Not sure they win them "all" but I'm willing to bet you will have to go through them to win a title....

It's a recipe many can't duplicate year after...

Best athletes, best coaching, desire to win...

RiverEagle079

JC loses this week hahahahahahahaha woop

Hornet4ever

Quote from: RiverEagle079 on November 25, 2014, 06:20:28 pm
JC loses this week hahahahahahahaha woop
Sorry, I'm thinking around 48-0. Lol

FD4

As long as coach Dave is there, JC will continue to produce a quality program in all phases of athletics.  Once he is gone, it will never be the same, it never is.  Shiloh, Barton, LR Central and so on.  Greenwood is just a tick off this year.  Mark it down, they run the table next year.

bleudog

Quote from: Hornet4ever on November 25, 2014, 02:30:50 am
Will J.C. ever lose......

Yes.

Somewhere, sometime, there's always a faster gun.

Wilson

bleu. .if that mill passes are they planning on keeping the old gym?. . would make sense to keep it where they could try to bring Dual State back.   be able to have an alternate gym and play more games. . be able to go back to the days of covering the entire athletic budget from that one tourney ;)

Dragon I

They need to start factoring in State Championship rings in the budget.

bleudog

Quote from: Wilson on November 26, 2014, 01:08:15 pm
bleu. .if that mill passes are they planning on keeping the old gym?. . would make sense to keep it where they could try to bring Dual State back.   be able to have an alternate gym and play more games. . be able to go back to the days of covering the entire athletic budget from that one tourney ;)

I'm not aware of any plans to take the "new" gym completely out of service.  Heard it could be maintained for PE classes and such.  I guess that might make it available for a two site tournament. 

Hosting Dual State in a multi-purpose gym that would be 50+ years newer than what's available now would hopefully attract more teams, but even that won't do anything to change the power rating formula LA uses for its playoff invitations or reverse the attrition of small schools in south Arkansas. 

dragondad

Quote from: bleudog on November 26, 2014, 01:31:27 pm
Quote from: Wilson on November 26, 2014, 01:08:15 pm

I'm not aware of any plans to take the "new" gym completely out of service.  Heard it could be maintained for PE classes and such.  I guess that might make it available for a two site tournament. 

Hosting Dual State in a multi-purpose gym that would be 50+ years newer than what's available now would hopefully attract more teams, but even that won't do anything to change the power rating formula LA uses for its playoff invitations or reverse the attrition of small schools in south Arkansas.

Personally I think the "new" gym should go. It's a maintenance nightmare waiting to happen. Build a health, technology, and science building in its place.

Wilson

If you make dual state more attractive to La teams by having it before they get into their conference schedule they will come. .the power ratings deal for basketball isn't nearly the deal breaker that it is for football because of the finite amount of football games compared to a basketball season. . u keep the old gym available for that tourney . .especially if u can throw it during the Christmas break. . u can really get a bunch of teams. . like i said as little as 10 years ago almost all of jc's athletic budget came from that tourney . . its just smart if u can do it. .frees up money to go back into actually "educating" kids

bleudog

November 26, 2014, 02:21:19 pm #15 Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 02:28:13 pm by bleudog
Quote from: Wilson on November 26, 2014, 01:49:17 pm
If you make dual state more attractive to La teams by having it before they get into their conference schedule they will come. .the power ratings deal for basketball isn't nearly the deal breaker that it is for football because of the finite amount of football games compared to a basketball season. . u keep the old gym available for that tourney . .especially if u can throw it during the Christmas break. . u can really get a bunch of teams. . like i said as little as 10 years ago almost all of jc's athletic budget came from that tourney . . its just smart if u can do it. .frees up money to go back into actually "educating" kids

The date change to Christmas break started last season:

http://junctioncity.k12.ar.us/uploads/pdf/2013-2014/2014%20Dual%20State%20Brackets.pdf

and will continue for this season:

http://junctioncity.k12.ar.us/uploads/pdf/2014-2015/2014-15%20JC%20Basketball%20Schedule%20%28Tentative%29.pdf

Louisiana basketball teams quit showing up for the most part when their state went to a power rating playoff system.  I understand there was an offer to have true a LA bracket and AR bracket with each LA school only having to play a final or semifinal against an AR team, but that didn't help.

I'm all for a filled to the rafters, self-supporting + tournament.  One problem is still that a lot of the AR schools that participated as little as 10 years ago, don't exist anymore.

dragondad

Quote from: bleudog on November 26, 2014, 02:21:19 pm
Quote from: Wilson on November 26, 2014, 01:49:17 pm

The date change to Christmas break started last season:

http://junctioncity.k12.ar.us/uploads/pdf/2013-2014/2014%20Dual%20State%20Brackets.pdf

and will continue for this season:

http://junctioncity.k12.ar.us/uploads/pdf/2014-2015/2014-15%20JC%20Basketball%20Schedule%20%28Tentative%29.pdf

Louisiana basketball teams quit showing up for the most part when their state went to a power rating playoff system.  I understand there was an offer to have true a LA bracket and AR bracket with each LA school only having to play a final or semifinal against an AR team, but that didn't help.

It sure shot our Christmas snow skiing trip in the foot.

Wilson

How do i say this and be nice. . the power ratings crap is wrong. . its a cop out for people that didn't do their job and almost let the tourney die. . there are tons of teams that go out of state and play tourneys. . a bunch from shreve bossier that go to east texas and play tourneys. .same with schools in and and around lake charles. . the Louisiana teams started dropping out back in the late 90's due to the LHSAA mandating that conferences play a schedule where every week it was either a monday-thursday or tuesday-friday rotation . . .when the tourney almost completely died people just didn't seem to care. . i had a good friend coaching a La team that tried to bring his team every year. . For some reason one year the jc folks didn't send him any info on the tourney so after a while he called to ask do he could fit it into the schedule . .he was told someone would get back in touch with him. . After a week he called back and was told the same thing. . he never heatd a word. . so he said to heck with it. . he's out of coaching now but he said that dual state was one if his favorite tourneys. . couldn't understand why it seemed like the folks in charge. didn't seem to care anymore . . . that was the year i think there were like 5 teams in it. . .

when a tourney falls on its face like that it takes time to build it back. . there's so much history in that tourney its a shame what was allowed to happen to it. . That power ratings stuff doesn't fly bleu

dragondad

I think there were a few other "incidents" that took place that drove some teams to stop attending. In addition to great basketball, it's also known for irate fan attendance and outbursts. Stephens no longer exists, so that cuts one trouble maker out.

bleudog

November 26, 2014, 03:30:37 pm #19 Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 04:01:43 pm by bleudog
Quote from: Wilson on November 26, 2014, 03:00:37 pm
How do i say this and be nice. . the power ratings crap is wrong. . its a cop out for people that didn't do their job and almost let the tourney die. . there are tons of teams that go out of state and play tourneys. . a bunch from shreve bossier that go to east texas and play tourneys. .same with schools in and and around lake charles. . the Louisiana teams started dropping out back in the late 90's due to the LHSAA mandating that conferences play a schedule where every week it was either a monday-thursday or tuesday-friday rotation . . .when the tourney almost completely died people just didn't seem to care. . i had a good friend coaching a La team that tried to bring his team every year. . For some reason one year the jc folks didn't send him any info on the tourney so after a while he called to ask do he could fit it into the schedule . .he was told someone would get back in touch with him. . After a week he called back and was told the same thing. . he never heatd a word. . so he said to heck with it. . he's out of coaching now but he said that dual state was one if his favorite tourneys. . couldn't understand why it seemed like the folks in charge. didn't seem to care anymore . . . that was the year i think there were like 5 teams in it. . .

when a tourney falls on its face like that it takes time to build it back. . there's so much history in that tourney its a shame what was allowed to happen to it. . That power ratings stuff doesn't fly bleu

W, I don't question that your expertise on the topic exceeds mine.  All I was going on was what I was told and that part of what I was told was consistent with what is on page 87 of the LHSAA handbook.  http://cdn.lhsaa.org/uploads/handbook/Section_11-Basketball.pdf

I'm a big history buff and would love to see the tournament return to it's glory days.  I did just a cursory search and saw there were 20 boys and 20 girls teams participating in 2001, and that was playing it in late January.  http://www.kcwd.com/gj/2001/briefsjc-2001-01-25.html  I've heard that particpation might have been close to twice that at points in the tournament's 75+ year history. 

Hopefully the people in place now can overcome whatever obstacles were placed in front of them (and I did hear some stories about a former coach who dropped the ball big time) and get the tournament back to the showcase it was.  Maybe a modern venue is part of that rebuilding process. 

bleudog

Quote from: dragondad on November 26, 2014, 03:10:32 pm
I think there were a few other "incidents" that took place that drove some teams to stop attending. In addition to great basketball, it's also known for irate fan attendance and outbursts. Stephens no longer exists, so that cuts one trouble maker out.

That's certainly a part of what needs to be addressed going forward too.  The layout of the grand ol' lady has its charm, but having fans virtually right on the court, no real separation for bench players/fans and a crowded lobby/restroom area don't help when emotions intensify.

Dragon I

Stacking the bracket didn't help.  JC's girls would win two games,  after being winless on the year, and you would have a Union/Fordyce matchup in the second round on the opposite side.  I've stood at the brackets and listened to several coaches say they would never be back after they looked at them.  Some came back, some didn't.  The AAA must have hired whoever was making them out.

Wilson

In the early 80's there were over 50 team combined several years. . that was when games could start at noon. . that's where having 2 gyms for the first couple days could help out if we ever get the numbers back up

bleudog

November 26, 2014, 04:00:32 pm #23 Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 04:07:41 pm by bleudog
Quote from: Dragon I on November 26, 2014, 03:47:24 pm
Stacking the bracket didn't help.  JC's girls would win two games,  after being winless on the year, and you would have a Union/Fordyce matchup in the second round on the opposite side.  I've stood at the brackets and listened to several coaches say they would never be back after they looked at them.  Some came back, some didn't.  The AAA must have hired whoever was making them out.

What was it you posted in that 2A-7 nation thread, "ever heard of home field advantage?" ;D

Just kidding.  You've made a valid point.  Any tourmament director has to balance selling tickets with keeping the non-home teams happy.  At least happy enough to keep coming back.

cuz

November 26, 2014, 05:05:53 pm #24 Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 05:35:24 pm by cuz
I think the thread might of been hi-jacked....... ;D Will Junction ever be beat, sure everyone is beatable but you can try and be unbeatable which is what JC try's to do every year. Kid's want and need something or someone to believe in. Coach Carpenter supplies that at JC and as long as he does they'll be a very hard team to beat....... ;)
There was a famous Coach who read a poem before every game to his players, and was respected by all who knew him. Respected by all his peers and honored with rewards in all aspects of this game including The National High School Hall of Fame. He not only made kids better players but better people also. Coach Carpenter has been on this path for years and as long as he stays Junction will be hard to beat. If you know who this other coach is you will definitely see the resemblance.......Read this it's definitely worth the time..........

"It's All In A State Of Mind"

If you think you are beaten, you are,
If you think you dare not, you don't,
If you like to win, but you think you can't,
It's almost a "cinch" you won't.
If you think you'll lose, you've lost,
For out in the world you find
Success begins with a fellow's will;
It's all in the state of mind.

Full many a race is lost
Ere ever a step is run;
And many a coward fails
Ere ever his work's begun.
Think big and your deeds will grow,
Think small and you'll fall behind,
Think that you can and you will;
It's all in the state of mind.

If you think you're outclassed, you are,
You've got to think high to rise,
You've got to be sure of yourself before
You can ever win a prize.
Life's battles don't always go
To the stronger or faster man,
But sooner or later, the man who wins,
Is the fellow who thinks he can.

- Walter D. Wintle

Wilson

Well the thread title is just "Junction" Cuz. . that's kinda vague . . so.  . .its not a true hijacking . .  just steered in a different direction ;)

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas