• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 2A Player of the Year

Started by GusBrown, November 08, 2014, 01:18:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FootballDude02

Quote from: hornetfever on November 09, 2014, 11:23:52 am
Playing both ways should also be a big part. This is 2A your best players should play both ways.
Harvell from Gurdon is impressive but the playoffs will shed more light on the best players.
Just because he is your "best player" doesn't qualify him to play both ways. Just because one can run/throw the ball very effectively doesn't always translate to playing the other side of the ball. All skill sets don't translate. Yes this is 2A, and most players who are good or even decent play both ways, but if you can find a way where they don't have to...hats off to you! Some people are just great position players (Great RB/QB/LB/WR) but there are the others that are great athletes. Like Devin Hester, who is a return man that plays CB and WR...but again this is one mans opinion.

THA TRUTH

3-5 touches a game is why dancy isn't doing what he could

FootballDude02

Quote from: hornetfever on November 09, 2014, 11:34:54 am
Quote from: footballfrenzy on November 09, 2014, 11:26:44 am
Harvell fits what you're saying about not getting the full opportunity to show his capabilities bc he's on a good team. Through 10 games he had 11.9 carries a game. He had one game of 20 rushes and several where he had less than 10. Kid is going to shine in the playoffs and the 6 will get to see him first hand the first 2 rounds.

I agree 100%. You will not be seeing top 10 competition until quarter-finals according to the bracket. Carlisle is very weak and McCrory is a good team but not top ten. We have a back that finished 2nd in 100 meters to Harvell at 2A State meet. Best players will show it Thanksgiving and after. Like Mr. Dancy has the last 2 years.
To be playing then doesn't mean you are the "best player", means you won or you play on the better team. And just a small nugget, lower seed teams play "top 10 competition" nearly every round in playoffs. Not saying you are wrong, just one mans opinion

Dragon I

I can't believe all of the blind idiocy in this thread.  You guys want to penalize Carpenter, Dancy, and Armstrong, because they're surrounded by quality players and coaches.  Dancy could play defense, and put up huge numbers, but there is no need.  It's not his fault that JC is ridiculously talented.  Armstrong is setting records on D for JC.  Opposing teams are scheming to go away from him, yet he is still putting up big numbers.  If he was on any other team, he would be featured on offense.  Instead, he gets two or three touches.  There is a reason JC is so dominant.  You all admit that these guys are superior, yet you don't want to give them their just due, because they're team is "too good."  Makes since.  Carpenter has these guys on one of the longest streaks this state has seen, but anyone could have done that.....right.  The best coach has the best players.  That's why they're running through 2A.  You'll all admit that, but don't want them to win any awards, because it's not fair.  Let's just not keep scores while we're at it.

FootballDude02

Quote from: THA TRUTH on November 09, 2014, 12:15:25 pm
3-5 touches a game is why dancy isn't doing what he could
I agree, never said he's "doing what he could"...rather he makes everything out of the limited touches and times he plays.

HorseFeathers

player of the year is viewed as MVP...take dancy away from j.c do they still go undefeated? I think so....take a tanner gaines away from hector do they still go 9-1...i dont think so. Now that said i do agree with you about carpenter...but for the attempts to say he deserves COTY is because of past seasons success is where the idiocy, your word not mine, lies. Which if your expected to win every game by a large margin, and you do what have you done to really beat expectations? It's a doubled edged sword for carpenter he's built a helluva a program, but if he's like the fans and whines about not getting the awards like COTY then he shouldnt have set the bar for hisself so dang high....

Dragon I

I'm just tired of the JC coaches and players being dismissed because "they should be doing that."  They worked hard, and deserve their credit.  They shouldn't be looked over just because they're doing what was expected.

cuz

Quote from: BrianfromCarlisle on November 08, 2014, 03:48:30 pm
No it shouldn't.  That is why I hate MVP awards.  It means Most Valuable Player.  Who had the most to do with their teams success.  Simply because of their total domination, I don't know that Dancy is MVP.
After watching one game, I would say Rogo is a candidate.  Because McCrory probably has a losing record without him.

That is my definition of MVP. Same reason I can't stand the Heisman.
That's one way of looking at it. But what if all the teams are loaded with quality players like JC. Do you disqualify them, no you pick out one that stands out above the rest, maybe just a little bit. Then you take all the players and decide which one stands out above the rest, maybe just a little or a lot. Picking Rogo would be a no brainer. Choosing between Dancy, Armstrong,  Evans or Holyfield would take some pondering. But you don't penalize
players because their team is good.  I would call that a little biased.....

cuz

Quote from: HF on November 09, 2014, 12:33:11 pm
player of the year is viewed as MVP...take dancy away from j.c do they still go undefeated? I think so....take a tanner gaines away from hector do they still go 9-1...i dont think so. Now that said i do agree with you about carpenter...but for the attempts to say he deserves COTY is because of past seasons success is where the idiocy, your word not mine, lies Which if your expected to win every game by a large margin, and you do what have you done to really beat expectations? It's a doubled edged sword for carpenter he's built a helluva a program, but if he's like the fans and whines about not getting the awards like COTY then he shouldnt have set the bar for hisself so dang high....
I don't quite understand your rationalization TF. Carpenter has competed for the state championship almost every year since 08. Won it 08,09,12 and thirteen, maintaining that type of level of play not only takes good players but great coaching also. The man's won back to back championships twice with the chance of a threepeat this year would have to play into the equasion I would think. FYI he doesn't whine about anything.... ;D

mtindian42

here lets do this. since jc is in a league of there own anyways...not my words but jc posters...jc is 1a and the rest of us peons are 1b. so coach of the year in class 1a goes to David carpenter. and player of the year in class 1a goes to dancy. the 1b class is still to be decided...now everyone should be happy... ;D

FootballDude02

I agree, you shouldn't dismiss a kid because his team is good, if that's the case the Heisman candidates should be different. No one , let me speak for myself, I don't think any kid should be penalized for "our" judgement of how good or "sorry" ones team is. Above all things, we want to see the kids excelling in what they do. Hope all get the opportunity to experience life on the next level of what they dream. But what kills me is how everyone automatically accepts 2nd place lol. Statement like "May as well give JC the trophy now and let everyone else play for second"...these have to be the FUNNIEST people to me. They must never played sports in their lives. You should live for and thrive on the spirit of competition. And for JC to automatically assume they should win the awards. The awards are very clear "Coach of the YEAR" "Most valuable PLAYER"; not coach of this decade, or most valuable team. I don't take anything away from what kids have accomplished nor what the coach has done with the program to motivate the kids to want to play. Again, this is one mans opinion.

Dragon I

Do you honestly believe that there is an offensive player better than Dancy?  His averages are far and away the best in the state.  People cried because JC ran the score up.  Dancy averaged less than 10 carries per game.  If he had gotten just 15 per game, He would have had over 2,000 yards, and this wouldn't even be an issue.  Same with Armstrong.  If he had gotten to play a full 3 quarters per game, he would be the leading tackler in 2A.  Is there a better defensive player than Armstrong?  The reason JC is doing as good as they are is great players getting great coaching.  Y'all can't have it both ways.

cuz

Quote from: mtindian42 on November 09, 2014, 01:35:12 pm
here lets do this. since jc is in a league of there own anyways...not my words but jc posters...jc is 1a and the rest of us peons are 1b. so coach of the year in class 1a goes to David carpenter. and player of the year in class 1a goes to dancy. the 1b class is still to be decided...now everyone should be happy... ;D
Indian your post is ridiculous, it seems there are more posters on here wanting to find fault with JC instead of trying to compete with them. Yeah I'm from JC and proud of it but I don't expect anything given to JC unless they earn it and I can assure you David Carpenter expects every game to be a challenging one, he takes no one lightly. You and other posters can brag on your school and that's fine but when a JC poster does that he arrogant and close minded. JC's had years of average seasons or losing ones and have worked hard to get where they are, quit complaining about us and do something about it. In other word --it or get off the pot. I'm tired of all the whining from you guys, quite complaining and go after JC..........

Quote from: FootballDude02 on November 09, 2014, 01:40:05 pm
I agree, you shouldn't dismiss a kid because his team is good, if that's the case the Heisman candidates should be different. No one , let me speak for myself, I don't think any kid should be penalized for "our" judgement of how good or "sorry" ones team is. Above all things, we want to see the kids excelling in what they do. Hope all get the opportunity to experience life on the next level of what they dream. But what kills me is how everyone automatically accepts 2nd place lol. Statement like "May as well give JC the trophy now and let everyone else play for second"...these have to be the FUNNIEST people to me. They must never played sports in their lives. You should live for and thrive on the spirit of competition. And for JC to automatically assume they should win the awards. The awards are very clear "Coach of the YEAR" "Most valuable PLAYER"; not coach of this decade, or most valuable team. I don't take anything away from what kids have accomplished nor what the coach has done with the program to motivate the kids to want to play. Again, this is one mans opinion.
Read this and learn from it +1............

footballfrenzy

Sure, give Dancy 15-18 carries a game he would have surpassed 2,000 yards probably easily. But he didn't, he average about 8 carries per game. Credit go to Dancy entirely? No credit to his well above average 2A OL? Jackie Harvell averages 11.9 carries a game and has had the success he has had with 2 165lb guards. Put Dancy on Brinkleys team or LC's team, does he still have that same production he has had at jc? The obvious answer is no, he doesn't. Players of the year in my mind should go to I couldn't care less. So, there's always that.

Dragon I

Are we looking at weights of his line now? 

mtindian42

thought that would make every one happy... instead it got some fierd up...cuz did you not see the smiley face at the end? it was meant as fun...geeze... you jc folks think its a crime when someone mentions anyone else but you...so I give y'all what you want and you still ain't happy...you want ours to...this is all fun anyways...you do realize this is all just for fun don't you?

FootballDude02

Indian, it's not just your comment...there's been comments like this since summer lol. If you or your team isn't up for competition, there is a long life ahead...Football/sports is a lot bigger than TDs or points, it's where one should teach young men life skills to become men. Less than 1% of high school players that play will make it pro, question is..what are you giving the other 99% if you are teaching them to accept defeat and never to face the real challenges? There is no team that has ALWAYS been dominant and none that always will. Things change, but they never will if you don't have the faith and work to ensure change. Man up...

mtindian42

I know man. and your points are right on...welcome to fearless Friday...

cuz

Quote from: mtindian42 on November 09, 2014, 02:31:50 pm
thought that would make every one happy... instead it got some fierd up...cuz did you not see the smiley face at the end? it was meant as fun...geeze... you jc folks think its a crime when someone mentions anyone else but you...so I give y'all what you want and you still ain't happy...you want ours to...this is all fun anyways...you do realize this is all just for fun don't you?
Happy happy happy..... ;D ;D ;D

mtindian42

Quote from: cuz on November 09, 2014, 03:02:32 pm
Quote from: mtindian42 on November 09, 2014, 02:31:50 pm
Happy happy happy..... ;D ;D ;D
that's awesome...good deal...

STUNNA

MVP should go to the best player on one of the top teams in the state

BrianfromCarlisle

Change the award to Most Outstanding Player.  Then I absolutely vote Dancy.   

cuz

Quote from: BrianfromCarlisle on November 09, 2014, 04:52:08 pm
Change the award to Most Outstanding Player.  Then I absolutely vote Dancy.
I see your point, that's why it's a democracy......... ;D

Dragon I

It's a technicality.  Is Dancy the best offensive player in 2A?  Yes.  Is Armstrong the best defensive player in 2A?  Yes.
Is Carpenter the best Coach in 2A?  Yes.

Put it all together and you get the tail whippings that have been taking place.  Don't penalize them for being around other high quality players.

FootballDude02

Quote from: Dragon I on November 09, 2014, 04:59:11 pm
It's a technicality.  Is Dancy the best offensive player in 2A?  Yes.  Is Armstrong the best defensive player in 2A?  Yes.
Is Carpenter the best Coach in 2A?  Yes.

Put it all together and you get the tail whippings that have been taking place.  Don't penalize them for being around other high quality players.

I can say he's very good, and has great skill set. I can't say he's the best, what I can say is that he's in the best position to be considered to be so...I'd (personally) would have to see him/them perform in games where their backs are against the wall and they have to home in on all the skills, both physically and mentally, that they possess. I don't agree 100% and say like others that if he was on another team that he couldn't do what he is doing now, can't see how some make that judgement. But I can make the ASSUMPTION that other kids (not all) that are mentioned, if playing at JC, could do  what he is doing (solely based on what they do at their own respective programs).

Dragon I

The problem is they're probably won't be a game with their backs against the wall.  Smackover was the closest to the.  Dancy went for 199 on 13.  Armstrong led us in tackles.  Big time players show up in big games.

THA TRUTH

I mean they had their back against the wall against smackover gurdon Carlisle and bearden last year and he went for 200 aand 200+ in those games with multiple scores

Blue

Quote from: Dragon I on November 09, 2014, 12:25:17 pm
I can't believe all of the blind idiocy in this thread.  You guys want to penalize Carpenter, Dancy, and Armstrong, because they're surrounded by quality players and coaches.  Dancy could play defense, and put up huge numbers, but there is no need.  It's not his fault that JC is ridiculously talented.  Armstrong is setting records on D for JC.  Opposing teams are scheming to go away from him, yet he is still putting up big numbers.  If he was on any other team, he would be featured on offense.  Instead, he gets two or three touches.  There is a reason JC is so dominant.  You all admit that these guys are superior, yet you don't want to give them their just due, because they're team is "too good."  Makes since.  Carpenter has these guys on one of the longest streaks this state has seen, but anyone could have done that.....right.  The best coach has the best players.  That's why they're running through 2A.  You'll all admit that, but don't want them to win any awards, because it's not fair.  Let's just not keep scores while we're at it.

I can only speak for the players I have seen play this year, I haven't saw Dancy since he was a 10th grader. No doubt in my mind he is a great player, you can split hairs all day and night saying he is great because of his supporting cast or he makes them great, he "could" play great defense. What MVP means to me is the 1 player in the 2A that is more important to his team than any other player in the state is to any other team. That is why I say Harvell would get my vote, kid has crazy numbers on both offense and defense, and Gurdon would not be in the position they are currently in without him. Dancy no doubt should be offensive back of the year in the 2A but I feel like Junction could lose him and never miss a beat. Carpenter should be a lock coach of the year until some other coach stands up and seriously challenges him.

FootballDude02

Quote from: THA TRUTH on November 09, 2014, 06:16:40 pm
I mean they had their back against the wall against smackover gurdon Carlisle and bearden last year and he went for 200 aand 200+ in those games with multiple scores
I can definitely admit that the Bearden game was a big game for them. Scoring late to win the game. This is a rival game though (kids show up to play in rival games on all levels). Not discounting the win or performance, don't get me wrong, cuz Dancy ran for 224 yards. But here's the kicker that discounts the arguments some poster make...in that game, he also had 35 carries and 0 touchdowns. Which is well above his 5-9 carry average and below his scoring average. The yardage yes is still awesome for any back at 6.4 YPC. Which is against a team then, that was on their playing level. Which for the most part supports the argument of other posters that claim "their back excels on an equal playing field"...again, not to take away from the kid or team. Just one mans opinion though.

THA TRUTH

It doesn't change the fact he puts up great number against the best competition the dragons face

FootballDude02

That's the same argument others are making about their team and/or back.  I agree, it doesn't change that he had good numbers, not the 20 YPC or 3 TDs nor 5 carries a game, but great yardage none the less. So this just shows that everyone else has legit arguments.

FootballDude02

November 09, 2014, 09:55:17 pm #81 Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 12:15:48 am by FootballDude02
In his defense, it does show he could carry the load if he had to. Question is , for ME, is he built to do that type of grinding week in and week out?

Wilson

JC has never had a back that week in and week out carried the bulk of the load. . just not how coach Carpenter does it.   He rotates backs. .even when he has a stud like Godfrey, Turner or Payne. . all of which i feel sure if they had to carry the ball 25 times a game every eeek could. . but Carpenters system works.   so he's not gonna change

FootballDude02

November 10, 2014, 12:27:00 am #83 Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 01:25:35 am by FootballDude02
Quote from: Wilson on November 09, 2014, 11:20:23 pm
JC has never had a back that week in and week out carried the bulk of the load. . just not how coach Carpenter does it.   He rotates backs. .even when he has a stud like Godfrey, Turner or Payne. . all of which i feel sure if they had to carry the ball 25 times a game every eeek could. . but Carpenters system works.   so he's not gonna change
Well sir, I wasn't asking from a high school standpoint, but we can indulge in that thinking. I will never down a mans philosophy for his team, especially if it works. This also slightly edges the posters who want their back to be MVP. They take the punishment week in and week out and yet perform. Could any of those move to a different team, and perform week in and week out while having to carry the load and take the bruising? It'll manifest itself differently on another level. Just my opinion.

Wilson

I could honestly care less who the MVP is or isn't in our "the fans eyes" . . or whoever actually votes for its eyes. . . i was just answering the question posed as to if JC had a back that that could carry the ball as the man week in and week out. . .which seems to have disappeared for some reason might i add

FootballDude02

Quote from: Wilson on November 10, 2014, 12:50:24 am
I could honestly care less who the MVP is or isn't in our "the fans eyes" . . or whoever actually votes for its eyes. . . i was just answering the question posed as to if JC had a back that that could carry the ball as the man week in and week out. . .which seems to have disappeared for some reason might i add
Well the reason it "disappeared" is because I never asked if  "JC had a back that could carry the ball as the man week in and week out"...I merely said, "the question, for ME is, is he (Dancy) built to do that type of grinding week in and week out"....if you read correctly sir, I stated that him carrying the ball 35 times against Bearden "shows he can carry the load if he had to." I never questioned if JC had that type of back. I forget that a lot of people on here can't read well, and one must spell out things for them. I can definitely tell through posts who actually knows football lol! Oh, I never asked if you cared about who MVP was....but anyway who am I, I'm only one man with an opinion.

Wilson

Last time i checked Dancy played for JC. . so it would stand to reason it would be if a jc back could do that. . i explained JC has never had to find out but i figure they could . .  wouldn't you think any back that could put up those numbers in limited duty could put up even bigger numbets if they got the chance. to do so?

and the title of this thread is 2A player of the year. . that's the reason i said i didn't care. . chech what the title of the thread is next time

FootballDude02

November 10, 2014, 02:23:20 am #87 Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 01:12:16 pm by FootballDude02
Quote from: Wilson on November 10, 2014, 01:38:19 am
Last time i checked Dancy played for JC. . so it would stand to reason it would be if a jc back could do that. . i explained JC has never had to find out but i figure they could . .  wouldn't you think any back that could put up those numbers in limited duty could put up even bigger numbets if they got the chance. to do so?

and the title of this thread is 2A player of the year. . that's the reason i said i didn't care. . chech what the title of the thread is next time
Ok, this is the last time I reply to ignorance (my opinion) lol...regardless theory or fact being said you will feel the need to have a rebuttal. As you see, I clearly state that he "can carry the load IF he HAD to" (hence the 35 carries). So therefore I STATISTICALLY see proof that JC has a back that can. Now if he (Dancy) is "BUILT" to do so, was the question (rhetoric), hence I stated "FOR ME". Never questioned if he would have good numbers with more touches. <--that's not ignorance, that's pure crazy (opinion of mine) lol! Oh, I def know the title of this thread, you must not or you can't read because you clearly stated "I could care less who the MVP is......", yes you do, or you would never have clicked a thread entitled "2014 2A Player of the Year", and chose to leave the dumbest comments (my opinion). Read all posts from now on before you comment please. But anyway, all this is my thought and opinion. 👍

cuz

Quote from: FootballDude02 on November 10, 2014, 12:27:00 am
Well sir, I wasn't asking from a high school standpoint, but we can indulge in that thinking. I will never down a mans philosophy for his team, especially if it works. This also slightly edges the posters who want their back to be MVP. They take the punishment week in and week out and yet perform. Could any of those move to a different team, and perform week in and week out while having to carry the load and take the bruising? It'll manifest itself differently on another level. Just my opinion.
Fyi Turner plays for Ar., Payne played college at ULAM and Pro primarily at the Chicago Bears......I think Dancy will hold up at the next level....

THA TRUTH

Dancy will be taking more of a pounding because he will be on offense unlike AT and KP

STUNNA

It's 2A football... Dancy can for sure carry the load if he had to... And could at higher levels also

FootballDude02

Quote from: THA TRUTH on November 10, 2014, 11:19:03 am
Dancy will be taking more of a pounding because he will be on offense unlike AT and KP
+1 someone who gets it (where I'm coming from). All those guys are good, but like THA TRUTH stated, they never had to take the pounding Dancy will, being if he plays RB on the next level. Not questioning if he can carry a load, just wondering if he's BUILT to take the pounding as a "featured back".

FootballDude02

Quote from: cuz on November 10, 2014, 10:18:37 am
Quote from: FootballDude02 on November 10, 2014, 12:27:00 am
Fyi Turner plays for Ar., Payne played college at ULAM and Pro primarily at the Chicago Bears......I think Dancy will hold up at the next level....
+1 thank you

thabeast428

Unless Dancy gets bigger I believe he will play in the slot or wide out bc honestly he is considered small but he works out all the time and is strong but we will just wait and see

Dr. Defense

Like it or not the best offensive and defensive players in 2A reside in JC. I think Armstrong/Bell/Evans/Mason could make a case for Defensive player of the year and offensive is Dancy. He hasn't put up much numbers this year because of the lack of touches but he is hands down the best offensive player in 2A. And to clarify, I am not from Junction City.

THA TRUTH

Quote from: thabeast428 on November 10, 2014, 01:37:43 pm
Unless Dancy gets bigger I believe he will play in the slot or wide out bc honestly he is considered small but he works out all the time and is strong but we will just wait and see

La tech ought to be able to put 20 more pounds on dancy easily but it will be about how well he carries that new weight

FootballDude02

November 10, 2014, 02:52:14 pm #96 Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 02:54:38 pm by FootballDude02
Quote from: THA TRUTH on November 10, 2014, 02:36:25 pm

La tech ought to be able to put 20 more pounds on dancy easily but it will be about how well he carries that new weight
I agree...it happens all the time! I don't see why he wouldn't be able gain the weight. I graduated at 210 and my first month and a half of workouts in college I put on 25 pounds.

Contrary to popular belief, JC people know football better than some like to give them credit.  ;D

cuz

Quote from: THA TRUTH on November 10, 2014, 02:36:25 pm

Or how it affects his speed....

THA TRUTH

That's is what carrying his new weight means

Redandwhite

Even though clarendon didnt have the season like they wanted too but there qb donnie lowery and
Wr richard knox should be in this talk.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas