• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HS Coaches won/loss record

Started by obamabill, February 27, 2015, 09:53:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

obamabill

How can I research or find individual HS basketball coaches won/loss record for that High School? 

reggiebushfan

A-Good-One

itsslim

Max preps give a rough guesstimate

beach bum

Starting off well for their first post.... and at a +0/-3 karma at one post lol

ricepig

Quote from: beach bum on February 27, 2015, 04:01:14 pm

That's probably just from the username alone........

beach bum

Quote from: ricepig on February 27, 2015, 04:07:52 pm
Quote from: beach bum on February 27, 2015, 04:01:14 pm

That's probably just from the username alone........

Almost said that.... I am not even a hater but on this site there is no hope when he created that username.He's doomed.

obamabill

-A 7A West girls basketball coach who has been at his position for eight years and averages less than 3 conference wins per year.

-Can't get athletes because of losing record, can't practice hard for wins because non-athletes on team might quit.

-Has intimidated, isolated parents (no inclusion, no feedback whatsoever) to where no one can effectively complain.

-No real forum for parents to organize to demand changes.

-Has an apathetic AD who doesn't care as long as parents can't organize and demand change.

And my daughter gets 3 more years with him.  I need your help.  MaxPreps doesn't even list this guy.

gojackets14

Pretty easy to figure out who you're talking about. I don't condone posting stuff like this on a public message board. If you have a big enough issue with the coach, you should speak to him in person, instead of hiding behind a computer screen.

obamabill

Quote from: gojackets14 on March 06, 2015, 08:28:09 am
Pretty easy to figure out who you're talking about. I don't condone posting stuff like this on a public message board. If you have a big enough issue with the coach, you should speak to him in person, instead of hiding behind a computer screen.

Dear gojackets14,  its been done by me and at least one other individual parent confirmed to no effect.  No response.

At some point, a coaches record should speak for itself and become a primary consideration for re-appointment.

gojackets14

Quote from: obamabill on March 06, 2015, 08:40:04 am
Quote from: gojackets14 on March 06, 2015, 08:28:09 am

Dear gojackets14,  its been done by me and at least one other individual parent confirmed to no effect.  No response.

At some point, a coaches record should speak for itself and become a primary consideration for re-appointment.

I think the main reason there is a lack of winning is the talent pool compared to everybody else. I don't think sitting behind a computer screen and griping about the coach will help that. A coach can be the best at X's and O's, but won't win without Jimmy's and Joe's.

4real

Reading a thread like this, I am reminded of a great coach that had great success back when she was in Bryant.  The story goes something like this...

Mom meets with coach one afternoon during season to talk about her daughter.  Coach already had the rule that we don't talk about playing time and the rule had been communicated to parents in a meeting with all parents and coaches early in the year.

So, mom takes no time in getting to her point; little Suzy should be playing more.  Coach wastes no time in her rebuttal...  she tells mom, If you had married a husband who had been more athletic, your daughter would probably be athletic enough to play!

The same could be said for an entire team in some cases.  Nobody wants to see kids get beat down.  However, some places have weaker gene pools than others.  Some places don't have enough athletes to be competitive year in and out.  Especially, with all of the other options out there today.  A lot of kids middle class and up are growing up with everything they want and are comfortable.  Playing a sport as intense and tough as basketball would put them out of their comfort zone.  Therefore, more kids in middle/upper class end up in your minor sports.

There are a lot of coaches with great winning records that don't know any more about coaching than Joe down at the boys and girls club.  There are also coaches that do amazing jobs and get no credit in schools with little to no talent.  Its just sad when cancer spreaders become louder than the choir singers

obamabill

I think the main reason there is a lack of winning is the talent pool compared to everybody else. I don't think sitting behind a computer screen and griping about the coach will help that. A coach can be the best at X's and O's, but won't win without Jimmy's and Joe's.
[/quote]

Same excuse the coach uses.  "Its the kids, its not me or my coaching".  Like there is some genetic defect that feeds this high school and makes our girls physically deficient from every other local school.

obamabill

Quote from: 4real on March 06, 2015, 10:28:26 am
Reading a thread like this, I am reminded of a great coach that had great success back when she was in Bryant.  The story goes something like this...

Mom meets with coach one afternoon during season to talk about her daughter.  Coach already had the rule that we don't talk about playing time and the rule had been communicated to parents in a meeting with all parents and coaches early in the year.

So, mom takes no time in getting to her point; little Suzy should be playing more.  Coach wastes no time in her rebuttal...  she tells mom, If you had married a husband who had been more athletic, your daughter would probably be athletic enough to play!

The same could be said for an entire team in some cases.  Nobody wants to see kids get beat down.  However, some places have weaker gene pools than others.  Some places don't have enough athletes to be competitive year in and out.  Especially, with all of the other options out there today.  A lot of kids middle class and up are growing up with everything they want and are comfortable.  Playing a sport as intense and tough as basketball would put them out of their comfort zone.  Therefore, more kids in middle/upper class end up in your minor sports.

There are a lot of coaches with great winning records that don't know any more about coaching than Joe down at the boys and girls club.  There are also coaches that do amazing jobs and get no credit in schools with little to no talent.  Its just sad when cancer spreaders become louder than the choir singers

Wow!  it is genetics.

Moonshiner

What specific changes would you suggest.  I have no idea which school you're talking about but I'm betting the coach is reading this stuff.  Here's your chance to be heard.

gojackets14

Quote from: obamabill on March 06, 2015, 10:38:02 am

Same excuse the coach uses.  "Its the kids, its not me or my coaching".  Like there is some genetic defect that feeds this high school and makes our girls physically deficient from every other local school.

[/quote]

I'm sure the coach has said that "on the record." Many factors come into play. Demographics, lack of emphasis at the younget age, lack of care by administration, other sports, lack of specialization, etc.

obamabill

Quote from: gojackets14 on March 06, 2015, 11:32:54 am
Quote from: obamabill on March 06, 2015, 10:38:02 am

I'm sure the coach has said that "on the record." Many factors come into play. Demographics, lack of emphasis at the younget age, lack of care by administration, other sports, lack of specialization, etc.
[/quote]

Other female sports programs here at this 7A West School are quite successful.  Those coaches have overcome:
demographics
emphasis at the younger set
lack of care by administration
other sports
lack of specialization
etc

obamabill

Quote from: Moonshiner on March 06, 2015, 10:51:44 am
What specific changes would you suggest.  I have no idea which school you're talking about but I'm betting the coach is reading this stuff.  Here's your chance to be heard.

I hope the coach and AD are reading this.

I want to thank all those above who have allowed me to be heard.  At the least, I thank everyone above for allowing me to vent.

We all have jobs where we have to perform, at least at some minimum performance level, or we would get replaced quickly.  A coach, such as the one at this 7A West school coaching girls basketball, should be evaluated at no less level.  At some point, that coach's conference won/loss record should be considered in that coaches re-appointment.

It's time to replace this coach.

reggiebushfan

Let this job come open and see who all applies. Lets just see who all wants to coach these girls who are perfectly capable of winning like some of you suggest.

My guess is that you'll get what you deserve for running down a good coach.

gojackets14

Quote from: reggiebushfan on March 06, 2015, 12:27:53 pm
Let this job come open and see who all applies. Lets just see who all wants to coach these girls who are perfectly capable of winning like some of you suggest.

+1

Cabotred

March 06, 2015, 01:43:12 pm #20 Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 01:44:52 pm by Cabotred
Unfortunately in society it is all about winning. We are talking high school sports here not professionals. If the coach is preparing them to be better members of society he or she is doing their job.

Is he teaching them the fundamentals of basketball, work hard, improve yourself, teamwork, try your best, sacrifice, have a good attitude, humility, being part of something bigger, etc.  if so he is doing his job. I would go as far to say that learning these lessons on a loosing team are easier than a winning one. I believe that most mature adults look back on their high school athletic career and don't remember the wins or losses but the whole experience.

I have learned a lot more in defeat than at any other time in my life. One of the biggest things that I have learned is quit blaming others for the things that have happened in my life.  I can only control myself, not what others do, and my actions effect others actions.  Changing any culture is hard, and a new coach is a start but the girls will want to have to change also. If the players have a bad additude new leadership will not help.

The coach is probably thinking if I could just get some girls and parents that have a good attitude and want to work hard things would be differnt.  The best thing would be to come together as a team and coaches, players and parents comit to making some changes for the better of the whole program.

obamabill

Quote from: reggiebushfan on March 06, 2015, 12:27:53 pm

I would really like to see this position come open.  I believe there are a lot of very good girls basketball coaches in Arkansas who would really appreciate the opportunity to coach 7A.

obamabill

Quote from: Cabotred on March 06, 2015, 01:43:12 pm
Unfortunately in society it is all about winning. We are talking high school sports here not professionals. If the coach is preparing them to be better members of society he or she is doing their job.

Is he teaching them the fundamentals of basketball, work hard, improve yourself, teamwork, try your best, sacrifice, have a good attitude, humility, being part of something bigger, etc.  if so he is doing his job. I would go as far to say that learning these lessons on a loosing team are easier than a winning one. I believe that most mature adults look back on their high school athletic career and don't remember the wins or losses but the whole experience.

I have learned a lot more in defeat than at any other time in my life. One of the biggest things that I have learned is quit blaming others for the things that have happened in my life.  I can only control myself, not what others do, and my actions effect others actions.  Changing any culture is hard, and a new coach is a start but the girls will want to have to change also. If the players have a bad additude new leadership will not help.

The coach is probably thinking if I could just get some girls and parents that have a good attitude and want to work hard things would be differnt.  The best thing would be to come together as a team and coaches, players and parents comit to making some changes for the better of the whole program.

I guess I'm selfish.  I want it all for my daughter.  Is the girls basketball coach doing all the above?  Yes, however, I would rate him, on a scale of 1 to 10, at about a 3 average on how well he is doing.

Of his 11 losses this year, 9 were by a margin of 10 or more points.  I can't tell you how many games were mercy-ruled losses.

4real

Maybe you should volunteer to coach an elementary and jr high aau program and ask coach Ramey what needs to be taught.  Then, with the help of your talent and coaching insight the next group of girls will have all the tools to bring a 7A state title to war eagle nation.

obamabill

Quote from: 4real on March 06, 2015, 07:03:59 pm
Maybe you should volunteer to coach an elementary and jr high aau program and ask coach Ramey what needs to be taught.  Then, with the help of your talent and coaching insight the next group of girls will have all the tools to bring a 7A state title to war eagle nation.

The difference between Ramey and me is, I readily admit I am not a coach.

4real

Coach Early is a great coach, who had a great run prior to the split, with a major D1 point guard running his offense, and still did not have enough talent to win the big one.  Now, he is in the same boat as coach Ramey, splitting talent in a town that rarely puts out any college players.

Step up and help before you sabotage a good man and fine coaches career.  Be helpful, not a cancer.  Be the man your daughter needs you to be. Not like Veruca Salts dad in willy wonka!

always88

Not sure about any coaches being discussed here, but just because a person receives his/her "teaching certification" doesn't mean they are even close to being qualified to coach. Although I know of several that fall into this category!

reggiebushfan

Quote from: obamabill on March 06, 2015, 06:56:41 pm
Quote from: Cabotred on March 06, 2015, 01:43:12 pm
Of his 11 losses this year, 9 were by a margin of 10 or more points.  I can't tell you how many games were mercy-ruled losses.
So what you're saying is, in all but 2 of his losses, he was completely outgunned?

You don't get mercy-ruled because of bad coaching...You get mercy-ruled because you have bad players.

obamabill

Quote from: 4real on March 06, 2015, 07:22:21 pm
Coach Early is a great coach, who had a great run prior to the split, with a major D1 point guard running his offense, and still did not have enough talent to win the big one.  Now, he is in the same boat as coach Ramey, splitting talent in a town that rarely puts out any college players.

Step up and help before you sabotage a good man and fine coaches career.  Be helpful, not a cancer.  Be the man your daughter needs you to be. Not like Veruca Salts dad in willy wonka!

Then it would be completely selfish for this community and myself to hold this coach back.  He should be free to realize his obvious talents elsewhere (where he has athletes) and we get another coach.  A win-win situation.

TheMercenary

Do you want to know how these programs are built? Here's the truth.  Someone in the community starts an AAU team when these kids are about 9 or 10 and they go play 75 games a summer.  The same 8 girls play together for 6 or 7 years, adding a good player or two each year and when these kids get to High School, what do you know, they are very good! 

When the elementary age girls and their parents see the program excel, it inspires them to get their 9 or 10 year olds on a travel basketball team and the process continues.  Before you know it, really good players are "moving" in to the High School to play for the winning program.

So if you want the current High School players to compete with the best programs, you're too late.  You should have started 6 or 7 years ago.

4real

Quote from: TheMercenary on March 09, 2015, 04:20:15 pm
Do you want to know how these programs are built? Here's the truth.  Someone in the community starts an AAU team when these kids are about 9 or 10 and they go play 75 games a summer.  The same 8 girls play together for 6 or 7 years, adding a good player or two each year and when these kids get to High School, what do you know, they are very good! 

When the elementary age girls and their parents see the program excel, it inspires them to get their 9 or 10 year olds on a travel basketball team and the process continues.  Before you know it, really good players are "moving" in to the High School to play for the winning program.

So if you want the current High School players to compete with the best programs, you're too late.  You should have started 6 or 7 years ago.
This is spot on.  However, some people have vendettas and do not listen or care about what is right.   Nor do they raise their kids to be dedicated and selfless.

MrNiceGuy

Kevin is as good or better than you think...his teams are
Very sound schematically.  I mean come on....is heritage winning 20 plus at the lower level?  Nope.  I'm not in his practices nor do I watch him scout develop players but I watch his teams play and they make more sound basketball plays than anyone else in the conference.   I think you need to reassess big time

obamabill

The above items are being done.  From the ADG 2014-07-28 -"We've done it different ways in different years," Ramey said. "But more of our kids have been playing AAU or travel ball than ever before. Six years ago, we didn't have one playing travel ball grades nine through 12."

The program is stuck in mud for eight years.  The conference record speaks for itself.  New leadership is needed to turn the program around.

4real

You still don't get it.  And you are not capable of getting it.  Regardless of the fact nobody else keeping and eye on the 7A west agrees with you, you refuse to admit its true. Nobody wants that job, and no good coach wants to deal with cancer parents like yourself.

Karma comes around eventually.

gojackets14

March 09, 2015, 10:03:07 pm #34 Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 11:08:36 pm by gojackets14
Quote from: obamabill on March 09, 2015, 09:00:32 pm

The above items are being done.  From the ADG 2014-07-28 -“We’ve done it different ways in different years,” Ramey said. “But more of our kids have been playing AAU or travel ball than ever before. Six years ago, we didn’t have one playing travel ball grades nine through 12.”

The program is stuck in mud for eight years.  The conference record speaks for itself.  New leadership is needed to turn the program around.

Boy you don't get it.

Let's put it this way...

According to the 2013-2014 School Profile, Heritage an enrollment of 1950, which I Know the number is higher than 2,000 now. 37% Hispanic. That's 721.5 student that don't play basketball. So, you're already behind the other 7A West foes. Also, Heritage doesn't have the tradition other schools in the area do. You have an administration that doesn't care. You have a lack of facilities.

But most of all, you have a lack of athletes. Many kids are playing soccer, baseball, softball, etc. at a younger age and not developing at basketball. They get discouraged at an older age then, find out how much harder it is, and quit, or lose a high number of games.

So... You can do what a lot of parents are doing in NWA and let your child run away and transfer to another school, teaching them that loyalty and hard work do not matter and that its ok to quit on your team. Commitment is overrated anyways, right? Or you can buck up and be a supportive parent because Ramey knows what he's doing.

Cabotred

BTW

What is his conference record for the last eight years?

obamabill

Quote from: Cabotred on March 10, 2015, 05:26:44 am
BTW

As best I can tell, for seven years, he is 18 wins/80 losses for conference.  For an average of less than 3 wins per season and about 11-1/2 losses per season.  One trip to conference tournament and lost first game for 0-1 in tournament.

DerekOxford

Quote from: obamabill on March 10, 2015, 06:21:01 am
BTW

As best I can tell, for seven years, he is 18 wins/80 losses for conference.  For an average of less than 3 wins per season and about 11-1/2 losses per season.  One trip to conference tournament and lost first game for 0-1 in tournament.

You mean state tournament? There's no such thing as a conference tournament in 7A.

obamabill

Quote from: DerekOxford on March 10, 2015, 09:07:48 am
BTW

You mean state tournament? There's no such thing as a conference tournament in 7A.

You are correct.

As best I can tell, for seven years, he is 18 wins/80 losses for conference.  For an average of less than 3 conference wins per season and about 11-1/2 conference losses per season.  One trip to state tournament and lost first game for all-time 0-1 in state tournament.

The high school referred me to the district athletic director for the won/loss record.  The athletic director has not responded.  The AD assistant said this was public information.

Moonshiner

Quote from: obamabill on March 10, 2015, 09:24:11 am
BTW

You are correct.

As best I can tell, for seven years, he is 18 wins/80 losses for conference.  For an average of less than 3 conference wins per season and about 11-1/2 conference losses per season.  One trip to state tournament and lost first game for all-time 0-1 in state tournament.

The high school referred me to the district athletic director for the won/loss record.  The athletic director has not responded.  The AD assistant said this was public information.

Have you considered making a move to another school?

obamabill

Quote from: Moonshiner on March 10, 2015, 05:20:49 pm
Quote from: obamabill on March 10, 2015, 09:24:11 am
BTW

You are correct.

Have you considered making a move to another school?

Other girls who have "graduated" thru the basketball program advised my daughter to move-up with her travel/club team.  Those girls who received scholarship to play, received thru their travel/club team.

Perhaps travel/club teams should be playing for state championships.

4real

Scholarships? For former heritage players???

Where do they play?  Ecclesia, U of Ozarks, Central Baptist, NorthArk?
The kind of scholarships at D3 that amount to $10K out of $30K tuition...
College coaches hate talking with AAU/club coaches. They want to talk with the HS coach.

They also want to know from the high school coach what the kids parents are like...

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: 4real on March 10, 2015, 11:28:38 pm

College coaches hate talking with AAU/club coaches. They want to talk with the HS coach.

They also want to know from the high school coach what the kids parents are like...
The NCAA prohibits athletic scholarship at D3 schools.  If they get scholarships it would be academic and/or needs based.

4real

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on March 11, 2015, 10:48:07 am

The NCAA prohibits athletic scholarship at D3 schools.  If they get scholarships it would be academic and/or needs based.

That is exactly my point Grizz...

Kind of hard to win in the 7A with kids that have to pay $30K each year to play ball, when you're going against squads that have multiple kids that go D1 or D2 on full rides.

obamabill

Quote from: 4real on March 31, 2015, 11:42:52 am

Kind of hard to win in the 7A with kids that have to pay $30K each year to play ball, when you're going against squads that have multiple kids that go D1 or D2 on full rides.

But those athletes are here.  They play volleyball, softball, and soccer NOT basketball.

Coach Venny Slocombe

obamabill...dear lord what a name...

#1. Leave, move to another district...pretty simple.

#2. Change your name...nobody likes Obama or the Clintons...

Tigerdad2

#3 get a degree, apply for his job, then if you get hired, do something about it

4real

This guy doesn't get it. If his attitude sucks this badly, I'm sure little Suzy has a similar cancerous attitude towards the coach and program.

reggiebushfan

Quote from: obamabill on April 15, 2015, 09:57:15 am
Quote from: 4real on March 31, 2015, 11:42:52 am

But those athletes are here.  They play volleyball, softball, and soccer NOT basketball.
No they're not...Heritage does not have D1 athletes playing other sports or walking the halls. The best athletes at Heritage are kids who "sign" with low-level schools who allow the kids on the team at their own expense.

obamabill

I don't know who has applied for this position.  Board has not, and usually does not, release that info.

But judging on the time lapse so far, we can only hope the Board and AD are doing a real personnel search and will find quality coaching after this program being mired in mud for 8 years.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas