• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

STAN HEATH

Started by kingkong, February 04, 2006, 11:44:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Stan Heath be fired after this year.

yes
13 (43.3%)
no
17 (56.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

kingkong

IMO he is a great coach and should see a NCAA Tourny birth soon, if not this year for sure next year

rsvl_hogfan4

I am a huge Heath supporter, but I wouldn't say he is a great coach. He has potential to be one though. He is getting better each game. He sat Townes for not playing good, he argue calls with the refs, he yelled at his players. All of those things will start to get the players attention and listen to him more. Him having more discipline will be a very good thing. When SC started coming back, he put his foot down and pulled the players messing up.

ASU Rugby

I just dont think he is that good of a coach. This could be like the Matt Daugherty situation at North Carolina.

BringbckSingletary

I think he is a good coach, and I believe that we are one of the better teams in the SEC, our record doesn't indicate how good the Razorbacks are

Navy and White

Quote from: rsvl_HOGFAN4 on February 05, 2006, 12:50:39 pm
I am a huge Heath supporter, but I wouldn't say he is a great coach. He has potential to be one though. He is getting better each game. He sat Townes for not playing good, he argue calls with the refs, he yelled at his players. All of those things will start to get the players attention and listen to him more. Him having more discipline will be a very good thing. When SC started coming back, he put his foot down and pulled the players messing up.

Too bad he didn't do the same thing against Alabama and Kentucky.

Quote from: BringbckSingletary on February 05, 2006, 01:28:30 pm
I think he is a good coach, and I believe that we are one of the better teams in the SEC, our record doesn't indicate how good the Razorbacks are

I believe that is an indicator of a bad coach.

rsvl_hogfan4

He is young and learning from his mistakes. Every coach makes mistakes. I hope he doesn't get fired. If Nutt gets time, Heath better get time. Heath started out with nothing, and now continues to bring in a lot of talent. This is probably the first year he has had a complete team. He was lacking something each year. We were lacking big men at first when he came in. Last year we lacked a true PG. Jefferson is a good assists man. McCurdy can shoot, even though he doesn't play much. Heath continues to bring in recruits he needs. That is one step to building a team. Now, he has to use those players correctly, and help them get better. Steven Hill has showed tremendous improvement. Heath will finish with more than 18 wins this year, which will once again be an improvement from last year.

BringbckSingletary

What do we have to do to make it into the NCAA tourney?

JvilleDevils

BringbckSingletary

RHS

QuoteThis could be like the Matt Daugherty situation at North Carolina.

They are not even comparable.

QuoteThis is probably the first year he has had a complete team.

This isn't a complete team. We still lack a PG and a consistent SG.

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: RHS on February 05, 2006, 02:51:43 pm
QuoteThis could be like the Matt Daugherty situation at North Carolina.

They are not even comparable.

QuoteThis is probably the first year he has had a complete team.

This isn't a complete team. We still lack a PG and a consistent SG.
Ronnie Brewer isn't a consistent SG? He is averaging like 19 points a game. Jonathon Modica isn't consistent? He scores a lot just about ever night. Dontell Jefferson isn't the best PG, but he isn't bad. He was the assist leader in the SEC. PG's need to get everyone involved, and he does that. Sean McCurdy will be a good PG. I said he has gotten all of the players he needed, not playing all of the players he needed. He has recruited all the players he needed, he just doesn't play McCurdy enough, but his time will come. I will give you the PG, but to say we don't have a consistent SG is wrong, because both Modica and Brewer player the 2 and 3 spot, and they are averaging double digits.

kingkong

Hogfan your right but this year it was experience not McCurdy and the other freshmen..., Towns Hill, and thomas all lacked experience. we have the talent, we have the depth,. with that said all we have to is  GET IT DONE. give the state os akansas something to go HOG WILD about. lol haha IMO

rsvl_hogfan4

I was just stating that Heath has picked up players at the position he needed. We will have more guys that can play the point coming in too. I think he is going in the right direction to get the recruits playing well. He hasn't done it yet, but he is getting there. My point was, he is slowly sending us in the right direction. We were left off bad and now he is bringing in talent.

chrismurphy19

Quote from: BringbckSingletary on February 05, 2006, 02:08:25 pm
What do we have to do to make it into the NCAA tourney?

I say, we have to win five of the eight games remaining. It's not absolutely nescessary that we beat Tennessee on the road, but it would help tremendously. I think we also need to win one of the two big games we have left at home (Alabama and Florida). If we win both of them, and finish with at least 20, we're in.

RHS

If we cold beat Bama or Florida at home and beat Tinner on the road, it'll be big. If we can also win a game or two in the SECT and our loss be close, that should help some too.

billsweeter

No, Stan Heath should not be fired at the end of the season.....he should be fired today

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: billsweeter on February 06, 2006, 02:08:41 am
No, Stan Heath should not be fired at the end of the season.....he should be fired today
Wow, good idea! Fire a coach in the middle of the season, even though we still have a good shot at going to the tournament. That will make things better.

Infamous

Quote from: billsweeter on February 06, 2006, 02:08:41 am

Great assessment.

That would send a positive note to our players and future recruits.

billsweeter

yep that we will not except losing

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: billsweeter on February 06, 2006, 12:23:31 pm
It will ruin our season, and we will lose Brewer, and probably all of our recruits for next year. Firing Heath right now will not help. I don't think he should be fired, but if we fire him, it would be at the end of the year, not half way through.

chrismurphy19

Quote from: rsvl_HOGFAN4 on February 06, 2006, 12:50:12 pm
Quote from: billsweeter on February 06, 2006, 12:23:31 pm
It will ruin our season, and we will lose Brewer, and probably all of our recruits for next year. Firing Heath right now will not help. I don't think he should be fired, but if we fire him, it would be at the end of the year, not half way through.

If this guy needs an example of why coaches shouldn't be fired until after the season is over, look no further than when we fired Nolan. Recruiting that year was terrible.

billsweeter

geese i didn't mean to start a riot...our season is pretty much over just admit it....there was so much hype about Arkansas basketball this year and again it was another let down...i doubt any of our big recruits r coming because of Stan heath and what if we pick up a coach who attracts more recruit...don't always look at the negative....midseason firing has worked out before who knows maybe it could again

RHS

If you think firing Heath and hiring a new coach would get bigger recruits, you need to think again. There aren't exactly a lot of studs left out there to try and recruit.

And no the season isn't over. For all we know the Hogs could pull off a miracle and win the rest of the SEC games and end up 12-4 in conference. Now I think that is doubtful to happen, but nothing is impossible.

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: billsweeter on February 06, 2006, 02:15:30 pm
geese i didn't mean to start a riot...our season is pretty much over just admit it....there was so much hype about Arkansas basketball this year and again it was another let down...i doubt any of our big recruits r coming because of Stan heath and what if we pick up a coach who attracts more recruit...don't always look at the negative....midseason firing has worked out before who knows maybe it could again
What do you mean these recruits aren't coming because of Heath? How ignorant are you? Wait, you are right, they are coming because we haven't made the tournament in 3 or 4 years. Of course these guys are coming because of Heath. He is a good coach, and a great recruiter. After all, he recruited Michigan States championship team. The only problem is, he doesn't discipline guys and get them motivated. If he can do that he will be a fine coach. Also, why do you say our season is over??????? We are 15-6. That is a pretty good record. We have LSU and Alabama still to come. If we win those 2 games, we have a new race in the SEC West. I think we will finish 2nd in the SEC west. We can just win the 5 games left on our schedule that are against mediocre SEC teams and still probably make the tournament. That will make us 20-9. We won't have any real stand out wins, but we will have a decen position in the SEC, and that will make us 9-7 in the SEC. If we win against LSU, Florida, or UT I think we will be a lock for the tournament because we are going to beat MSU and Auburn, then I feel we will beat Bama, Ole Miss, and UGA. So if we could steal a win from any of those other three teams, we will be in. Saying the season is over is moronic. I know I stay pretty optimistic, but that is a good thing.

billsweeter

Everything thing u guys are saying are pretty much IF'S and I THINKS...seriously i know u love ur razorbacks but they have proven they cant win big games

RHS

And you're going off of past games thinking that teams can't change for the future.

What's the difference?

Infamous

Quote from: rsvl_HOGFAN4 on February 06, 2006, 02:52:55 pm
Quote from: billsweeter on February 06, 2006, 02:15:30 pm
What do you mean these recruits aren't coming because of Heath? How ignorant are you? Wait, you are right, they are coming because we haven't made the tournament in 3 or 4 years. Of course these guys are coming because of Heath. He is a good coach, and a great recruiter. After all, he recruited Michigan States championship team. The only problem is, he doesn't discipline guys and get them motivated. If he can do that he will be a fine coach. Also, why do you say our season is over??????? We are 15-6. That is a pretty good record. We have LSU and Alabama still to come. If we win those 2 games, we have a new race in the SEC West. I think we will finish 2nd in the SEC west. We can just win the 5 games left on our schedule that are against mediocre SEC teams and still probably make the tournament. That will make us 20-9. We won't have any real stand out wins, but we will have a decen position in the SEC, and that will make us 9-7 in the SEC. If we win against LSU, Florida, or UT I think we will be a lock for the tournament because we are going to beat MSU and Auburn, then I feel we will beat Bama, Ole Miss, and UGA. So if we could steal a win from any of those other three teams, we will be in. Saying the season is over is moronic. I know I stay pretty optimistic, but that is a good thing.

You might as well just save your finger stamina.

billsweeter

none so why r u right and iam wrong?

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: billsweeter on February 06, 2006, 04:04:31 pm
Everything thing u guys are saying are pretty much IF'S and I THINKS...seriously i know u love ur razorbacks but they have proven they cant win big games
They haven't played too many big games, and they have plenty to come. There are know IFS and I THINKS about the season not being over. We are 15-6 with 8 games left and all are winnable. How can you say our season is over and feel intelligent?

Infamous, you are probably right.

billsweeter

well of the 8 remaning we have beat 2 of them and lost 3 of them the other 3 being florida who arkansas will not beat and tenn. away and Georgia away. and arkansas is 0-2 against ranked teams...why cant u ppl just admitt arkansas is not that good

rsvl_hogfan4

February 06, 2006, 06:41:53 pm #30 Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 06:43:46 pm by rsvl_HOGFAN4
Quote from: billsweeter on February 06, 2006, 06:38:16 pm
well of the 8 remaning we have beat 2 of them and lost 3 of them the other 3 being florida who arkansas will not beat and tenn. away and Georgia away. and arkansas is 0-2 against ranked teams...why cant u ppl just admitt arkansas is not that good
Don't just look at the stats. We got beat by MSU sure, but that was at a place we never win at, and it was our first SEC game. We are a better team, and MSU is worse. We will kill MSU at Bud Walton. Alabama, we should have killed them at their place. We had a meltdown, and the refs blew it, but we won't get into that. We will more than likely beat Bama at Bud Walton. We are capable of beating Florida. We destroyed SC, and SC beat FLA pretty good. We can beat UT and LSU. Why do think the hogs suck, yet they are 15-6. Stop being stupid. You look at their schedule and assume because they lost to this or that team before, they will again. If you watch the games you will know Arkansas isn't a bad team. When we are in the tournament in March you will be one of those people saying you knew we would make it. I don't think all of this will happen, but I do think we will be in the tournament. Saying the hogs suck is stupid though.

billsweeter

i didnt say they sucked they are a solid team but they are not what they have been hyped up to be....that is another point of mine is that we should of killed all these teams and we dont

rsvl_hogfan4

This post you say we are a solid team, but two posts above you say we are not very good. Which is it? A solid team or not a very good team? Yes, we should have at least 3 more SEC wins, but we can't cry about that now. The season isn't over, and firing Heath won't help anything. It will only make things worse. Your points are not supporting we should fire Heath right now. If anything, they are hurting your case. Why should we fire our coach that can win us games at home, just because he can't win us many on the road. Why should we fire him in the season? If we can't win games on the road with him, how bad would it be without? We wouldn't win games at home either. The only problem Heath has had here is winning on the road. If he continues to do bad on the road, then maybe fire him, but not in the middle of a season when he has only had about 2 years or so with real good talent.

billsweeter

umm well i don't know were a solid team just haven't preformed well here is the thing though everything u say could just as easily go the opposite way...nobody can predict what would happen if he got fired what if the coached hired can win on the road and at home then dos that mean it was a good idea it is just an oppion both of us have them and they are diffrent there is nothing that makes Ur opinion any more correct then mine who knows what would happen nobody....stop getting all mad about it and saying I'm wrong cause i might not be i might be exactly wright

RHS

QuoteWe destroyed SC, and SC beat FLA pretty good.

Comparing scores is a no-no. Not the best way to support your view.

Just as you told him not to look at the stats, don't look at just our wins and losses. 11 of our wins have come against out of conference opponents. Only 7 of our 15 wins have come against teams with a winning record. Of the 15 wins we have, our opponents record is a combined 149-166. Not the toughest of teams so far in our win columns.

billsweeter

really i didnt even know that

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: billsweeter on February 06, 2006, 06:58:07 pm
umm well i don't know were a solid team just haven't preformed well here is the thing though everything u say could just as easily go the opposite way...nobody can predict what would happen if he got fired what if the coached hired can win on the road and at home then dos that mean it was a good idea it is just an oppion both of us have them and they are diffrent there is nothing that makes Ur opinion any more correct then mine who knows what would happen nobody....stop getting all mad about it and saying I'm wrong cause i might not be i might be exactly wright
Buddy, I am not getting mad. Look at the thread. It is all about Stan Heath. That is why I am arguing with you. The thread is meant to talk about this. I am not mad. Also, I never said anything about hiring a coach that can win on the road. That is true, there are plenty of coaches out there we could hire that could do a good job. However, you are wrong, and I don't care what you say, you are wrong about firing Heath in the middle of the season. We would not hire that coach that can win on the road in the middle of the season. Therefore, firing Heath now would just be a waste of a pretty good season so far. Sure, we haven't done as well as we thought, but 15-6 is nothing to be mad about. We could lose all these games in the future, but we won't. We will finish the season strong. However, firing Heath will ruin our season. That is the point I am trying to make. I don't doubt we can hire someone that is good, but we would waste this season, and Heath isn't doing that bad of a job.

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: RHS on February 06, 2006, 06:59:59 pm
QuoteWe destroyed SC, and SC beat FLA pretty good.

Comparing scores is a no-no. Not the best way to support your view.

Just as you told him not to look at the stats, don't look at just our wins and losses. 11 of our wins have come against out of conference opponents. Only 7 of our 15 wins have come against teams with a winning record. Of the 15 wins we have, our opponents record is a combined 149-166. Not the toughest of teams so far in our win columns.
I am not comparing scores in a way to say we should beat them. You were not reading it right. He said we would not beat Florida. I was simply stating we are a better team than SC, and they did it. I am not comparing the scores in a way that since SC won, we should win by this much. What I stated is correct. He doesn't think we can beat Florida. There is a difference between can and will. We can beat them, but will we?

billsweeter

billsweeter

but if u had to bet money or something important what would u go with...i can understand arkansas cause ur a fan like in the rose bowl when i bet money on texas cause iam a huge fan even though it look as if they were going to get demolished cause lets be honest USC is really good and 9 out of 10 would of prolly beat texas

rsvl_hogfan4

I think out of the three games, FLA, LSU, and UT, Arkansas has the best chance to beat Florida. It is at home, and Florida isn't that superior than us in talent. I think we may have more. They just play really good as a team, and every person on their team gives it their all. If Townes, Thomas, Modica, and Brewer can all score and actually try, we would win. However, that is a big IF. Thomas always gives it his all. Brewer is a great player but sometimes takes possessions off, or tries to do too much. Either one can hurt us. Townes would be the best big man in the SEC if he would give it his all. Some games he comes out on fire, other games he acts like he doesn't care. I believe he had 2 rebounds against Kentucky. That is why he didn't play much and didn't start Saturday. Maybe that will send a message that Heath has had it. That was a good move by Heath, and I think it will motivate these guys a little more.

ASU Rugby

Quote from: rsvl_HOGFAN4 on February 06, 2006, 07:23:11 pm
I think out of the three games, FLA, LSU, and UT, Arkansas has the best chance to beat Florida. It is at home, and Florida isn't that superior than us in talent. I think we may have more. They just play really good as a team, and every person on their team gives it their all. If Townes, Thomas, Modica, and Brewer can all score and actually try, we would win. However, that is a big IF. Thomas always gives it his all. Brewer is a great player but sometimes takes possessions off, or tries to do too much. Either one can hurt us. Townes would be the best big man in the SEC if he would give it his all. Some games he comes out on fire, other games he acts like he doesn't care. I believe he had 2 rebounds against Kentucky. That is why he didn't play much and didn't start Saturday. Maybe that will send a message that Heath has had it. That was a good move by Heath, and I think it will motivate these guys a little more.

I would say that UT does considering the already beat them once

rsvl_hogfan4

No, I am not saying who has the best chance to beat Florida. I was saying what big game we have the best chance at winning. We need to win either LSU, Florida, or UT. UT and LSU are away. Florida is at home. I said I think we have the best chance to beat Florida out of those three games we have.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas