• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

High School Soccer

Started by johnharrison, February 01, 2006, 06:06:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

johnharrison

As always, HS soccer and Spring Classic soccer overlap.   AAA regulations seem to say you can only participate on one team at a time.  Even starting in Jr. High, kids have to chose between whether to play for a school teams which may not even have 11 people who have played competitively or continue with the Classic team which tends to have more experienced players.

Classic teams preparing for May/June tournaments may lose a handful of key players for 2 months at a critical time.

Wouldn't both types of teams be better served by letting players participate in both league for the 2 months or so when they overlap? 

Infamous

As soon as I saw the word soccer the first thought that came to my mind was, "Who cares?"

sniper

If you don't like it, then just go past it and don't post man...It would help if high school was played in the fall like most other states, that way club teams would be stronger come state and regionals...even if you could play on club and high school at the same time, you really couldn't give both teams 100%...

celtzer

Quote from: InfamousHound on February 01, 2006, 06:46:13 pm
As soon as I saw the word soccer the first thought that came to my mind was, "Who cares?"

As soon as I read your post, the first thought that game to my mind was, "What a stupid post".  Good Job wasting time.

arkrazorback10

Quote from: sniper on February 01, 2006, 07:09:42 pm
If you don't like it, then just go past it and don't post man...It would help if high school was played in the fall like most other states, that way club teams would be stronger come state and regionals...even if you could play on club and high school at the same time, you really couldn't give both teams 100%...
I agree to some extent, but playing High School in the fall wouldn't work out.  Some of the better players play football at that time, and that takes away a lot of your team.  Once you get into High School your loyalty is more towards the school and not the club imo. 

johnharrison

I agree that there is too much overlap to have both football and soccer in the fall.

I also think your statement about more loyalty toward the high school teams probably holds more weight in larger schools, 6A,7A.  In the smaller schools there are often not enough players with high level experience to field a quality team.

Infamous

Wow, aren't we all a bit sensative.

Blue Collar

Me too. I don't see a point of this sport.

arkrazorback10

Quote from: Blue Collar on February 02, 2006, 04:59:52 pm
How do you not see a point in this sport.  It is just like any other sport, you have a ball, you have an opponent, you play offense and score, you defend.  If it were from the America's it would be just like any other sport here.  Unless you play the sport you can't talk bad about it, because those who do play soccer are some of the most athletic, in-shape, talented people you come by.

Infamous

I agree completely. It takes amazing athletic ability to cover that much ground because it's about three times the size of a football field. It takes true agility, quickness, and hand-eye coordination to play the game of soccer.

My point was that I just don't see the point of it. I find the sport rather boring.

HA_Fan

Quote from: Hogs Smell Good on February 02, 2006, 07:26:41 pm
you play offense and score...

You almost had me until I got to that part.

mudturtle

Soccer IS boring, or at least it can be, depending on the spectator.

For me, I'd rather work in the concession stand than watch a baseball game.  You have to pay me to go see another NBA game.  I like NASCAR but could care less about F1.

To be honest, it is almost as fun at most soccer games to listen to people yell at the refs when it is obvious they have minimal understanding of the rules.  Passion at its best!

War Eagle

Quote from: InfamousHound on February 02, 2006, 07:48:37 pm
and hand-eye coordination to play the game of soccer.

ummm are you talking about the right sport?

Infamous

Quote from: Cadillac on 27s on February 02, 2006, 09:52:47 pm
Quote from: InfamousHound on February 02, 2006, 07:48:37 pm
and hand-eye coordination to play the game of soccer.

ummm are you talking about the right sport?

That's just the general term for it.

Foot-eye coordination just doesn't sound right for some reason.

Blue Collar

How do you not see a point in this sport. It is just like any other sport, you have a ball, you have an opponent, you play offense and score, you defend. If it were from the America's it would be just like any other sport here. Unless you play the sport you can't talk bad about it, because those who do play soccer are some of the most athletic, in-shape, talented people you come by.
I don't see a point in this sport b/c all you do is run with the ball and more than likely you won't score and u have to run up and down the field every time. i don't see how that is a fun sport to play.

celtzer

Quote from: Blue Collar on February 05, 2006, 03:36:51 pm

How do you not see a point in this sport. It is just like any other sport, you have a ball, you have an opponent, you play offense and score, you defend. If it were from the America's it would be just like any other sport here. Unless you play the sport you can't talk bad about it, because those who do play soccer are some of the most athletic, in-shape, talented people you come by.
I don't see a point in this sport b/c all you do is run with the ball and more than likely you won't score and u have to run up and down the field every time. i don't see how that is a fun sport to play.

People who do not play usually do not understand the skills and conditioning of the sport, unlike baseball, football, basketball etc.  Soccer can be a very fun sport, but it is not for most people, being from America and out of shape as heck.

wideout88

I have coach soccer for five years in arkansas at high school level and I use to be one of those
paople who said "soccer is boring, ot enough scoring". It's my job to coach HS soccer and I am
was a college football player and 2years in the pros. Soccer is very exciting to watch in HS its fast break almost
the whole game , and the anticipation of a score and overtime shoot out , i have never been around
a sport more exciting. Before down playing soccer go watch a Hs boy's game.

Springdale, Van buren, rogers, conway bentonville, the litle rock boys programs .

Educate yourself before calling something boring.

I went to a game (pitch) in England, those fans live or die for this boring game 60 to 100 thousand in the crowd.

Lions84

Get rid of Soccer  as the waterboys momma say IT's the DEVIL

sniper

I wish people would just keep the comments about not liking soccer to themselves....ok you don't like soccer...that's fine, nobody is asking you to...usually it's people who know nothing about the sport that don't like it, and I would encourage them to learn more about it before knocking it...but if you don't want to that's cool too, just don't talk trash about the sport...please

War Eagle

100% of the time it's just the fact they are no good at it or have never tried it out

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas