• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1-4A Score, Schedules and Comments

Started by OldTimeCager, November 25, 2014, 09:08:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Leroy88

Lincoln boys play Scranton tonight at 7:00 in the finals of the Scranton tourney.

4AWhistler

Quote from: Leroy88 on December 13, 2014, 01:26:59 pm
Lincoln boys play Scranton tonight at 7:00 in the finals of the Scranton tourney.

Lincoln 41 Scranton 51

Scranton plays a lot like Brooklynn did last year.  Controlled the tempo with slow play and Lincoln couldn't get any momentum.

HorseFeathers

are the Huntsville girls expected to do anything this year? I follow 1A/2A, and holding Wonderview to 21 points is pretty impressive...

channing

Start the real season Tuesday.  A few comparison scores.  Gravette beat Lincoln by a couple  a few weeks ago; Huntsville beat Prairie Grove last night in finals of Green Forrest tournament 51-46 . Not aware of any other comparable games.  But still think it's Huntsville and Pea Ridge and the other 6 battling for 3 through 8 , Gentry may be the sleeper of the bunch , but like last year should be lots of competitive games.

leaglebb

Huntsville loses to Pulaski Academy 32-31 in a tournament in Morrilton.  I don't have any details but just heard the score.

4AWhistler

Quote from: leaglebb on December 14, 2014, 08:03:37 pm
Huntsville loses to Pulaski Academy 32-31 in a tournament in Morrilton.  I don't have any details but just heard the score.
[/quote

Wow, not many points in that one.  Either there was a lid on the basket or a very slow-paced game.

channing

I was speaking of boys,  that huntsville PA was girls game

oldballer

December 14, 2014, 10:40:49 pm #57 Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 10:51:39 pm by oldballer
I really don't think comparing scores gives you a true measure of how teams compare due to teams matching up differently. For instance PG lost to Farmtown x 2 by 13-20, Farmtown beats the snot out of Huntsville and then Huntsville destroys Farmtown at home. By those scores you wouldn't think PG would stay within single digits of Huntsville. I guess that's why they play the games. I was at the Lincoln/Gravette game and really look for Gravette to handle Lincoln rather easily at home Tuesday. I am interested to hear how the match up with the big boy from PG and Gravette's Big goes Friday. I think they sort of neutralize each other, but PG's guards can't be as weak as Gravette's. I say big advantage PG. Here is my updated conference order of finish based on season so far:
1. Huntsville 14-0
2. Pea Ridge 12-2
3. PG  9-5
4. Gravette 8 - 6
5.Gentry 6 - 8
6.Shiloh  5 - 9
7. Lincoln  2 - 12
8. Berryville 0 - 14

From what I saw of Gentry they like to shoot it , but can't defend very well. Shiloh has a hard time scoring unless it is in transition and poor guard play. Lincoln has Biggie and he can be defended with a smaller player man 2 man no one else to help out on offense. He just can't carry a team. Berryville has just dropped off the map.

channing

I agree, scores only give a slight barometer but they do say something,   didnt see PG/huntsville game saturday but heard PG big man was shut down completly by Huntsville big guy.So alittle surprised they stayed that close to Huntsville.  Berryville is down but they will win a few conference games, Lincoln will win more than the two you have them winning.

OldTimeCager

Gravette lost to Carthage 55-37 and drops to 4-4 on the season.  Conference Play opens tomorrow night:

Lincoln @ Gravette
Huntsville @ Prairie Grove
Berryville @ Shiloh Christian
Gentry @ Pea Ridge (Monday?)

Predictions:
Gravette over Lincoln by 6
Huntsville over Prairie Grove by 16
Shiloh over Berryville by 12
Pea Ridge over Gentry by 22

channing

Ill play along:

Lincoln @ Gravette        Gravette by 8
PG   @   Huntsville         Huntsville by 12
Berryville @ Shiloh         SC by 9
Gentry  @  PR                PR by  14

Cajun Hog

Gentry 52 - Pea Ridge 49 final upset #1 on opening night.

channing

Thats a shocker!!!!  Does PR have some injuries or is Gentry just that improved?

OldTimeCager

Someone told me that Pea Ridge is struggling with team chemistry.  Seniors upset at playing time the sophomores are getting.  Finger pointing within the team between classes for losses.  Don't know if there is any truth to that or not.  I also think Gentry is much improved.  Their last two jr. high teams have been very good.  I don't know the kid's name, but their Junior G/F should be one of the best scorers in the conference.  Anyone know his name?  When he was a 7th grader Gravette played Gentry in the Siloam tourney and Gravette won in OT with Pierce (as a 9th grader) dropping in about 28 and the Gentry kid as a 7th grader dropped about 24.  The kid can really score.

Gentry is the only team this year that I've heard NOTHING about.  Not one score prior to last night.

channing

Jullaret or something like that,  Kid name Baker is really good

oldballer

Quote from: OldTimeCager on December 16, 2014, 08:53:24 am
Someone told me that Pea Ridge is struggling with team chemistry.  Seniors upset at playing time the sophomores are getting.  Finger pointing within the team between classes for losses.  Don't know if there is any truth to that or not.  I also think Gentry is much improved.  Their last two jr. high teams have been very good.  I don't know the kid's name, but their Junior G/F should be one of the best scorers in the conference.  Anyone know his name?  When he was a 7th grader Gravette played Gentry in the Siloam tourney and Gravette won in OT with Pierce (as a 9th grader) dropping in about 28 and the Gentry kid as a 7th grader dropped about 24.  The kid can really score.

Gentry is the only team this year that I've heard NOTHING about.  Not one score prior to last night.
Gentry 72 Elkins 63
Gentry 70 Kansas, OK 67
Gentry 63 Haas hall 57
They have beat some lower classification teams before last night, but the score were close. I guess it doesn't matter how many you win by. If that is true about the trouble in PR could be a long season. I am going to try to make it over to the Lincoln/Gravette game tonight. I want to see if the Goldman kid has improved as much as they say he has from last year. Maybe some more upsets tonight.

4AWhistler

December 16, 2014, 07:51:05 pm #66 Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 07:54:15 pm by 4AWhistler
Quote from: oldballer on December 16, 2014, 10:58:17 am
Quote from: OldTimeCager on December 16, 2014, 08:53:24 am

Gentry 72 Elkins 63
Gentry 70 Kansas, OK 67
Gentry 63 Haas hall 57
They have beat some lower classification teams before last night, but the score were close. I guess it doesn't matter how many you win by. If that is true about the trouble in PR could be a long season. I am going to try to make it over to the Lincoln/Gravette game tonight. I want to see if the Goldman kid has improved as much as they say he has from last year. Maybe some more upsets tonight.

There is more to Lincoln than what's being talked about.  Solid rebounding and dishing up of easy baskets by the low post and points are being spread out among all the starters plus 2 players off the bench contributing. 

Hopefully a good game tonight.

4AWhistler

oldballer

Quote from: 4AWhistler on December 16, 2014, 09:08:16 pm
Gravette by 7.
Lincoln won the tip and the 1st quarter and once Gravette took the lead they never looked back. This is the last time I will mention this, but the Goldman kid isn't a DI player. He probably had 8-10 points tonight and was guarded by a 5'10" kid. The big kid from Gravette didn't even play (injured foot is what I was told) and the score wasn't as close as the final. It was 15 with around 1:45 left. On the bright side Lincoln did have some other players step up and hit some 3's. This conference is going to be very interesting this year. Who should I watch Friday night?

channing

Still alittle shocked from Gentry beating Pea Ridge,  Gravette apparently much improved from beginning of year.  Sounds like Prairie Grove /Huntsville game was tough contest ,huntsville won by 4 ,  PG had ball with chance to tie but couldn't convert.  Gonna be whoever executes on any given night apparently

OldTimeCager

Any score/report from SC vs. Berryville?

Goldman was cold last night.  Got plenty of looks but couldn't buy a shot.  Maybe went 2-15 from three point range.  If Goldman was even shooting decent, then it probably would have gone Lincoln's way without Gravette playing their 6'7" post.  Soule from Gravette played the game of his life scoring 31, all from in the paint.

I was told last night that Coach Clark Morris' son is back playing at Gentry and that is a big reason they are off to such a good start (albeit against weak competition).  All the talk early was that he had moved to Oklahoma.  Can anyone confirm that he is back at Gentry?

Finally, anyone go to the PG game.  What's the scoop on why the score was so close?  I don't anyone predicted that.

channing

Wasnt at the game but couple of parents said first half PG was real sluggish, woke up in second half and actually took the lead with about 4 minutes to play. Prairie Grove played Huntsville saturday night in Finals of Green Forrest tourney and played them close then as well.  Maybe Huntsville isnt just stellar or PG has really got better since early in the season.   

OldTimeCager

Quote from: channing on December 17, 2014, 09:56:33 am
Wasnt at the game but couple of parents said first half PG was real sluggish, woke up in second half and actually took the lead with about 4 minutes to play. Prairie Grove played Huntsville saturday night in Finals of Green Forrest tourney and played them close then as well.  Maybe Huntsville isnt just stellar or PG has really got better since early in the season.   

That's what I would like to know.  Is PG better than advertised or is Huntsville not the dominant team we assumed they would be.  Huntsville did destroy a Farmington team that destroyed Gravette.

channing

Maybe alittle of both.  Seems PG plays up to the level of competition and down to level of competition.   FYI  Shiloh beat Berryville 35-20 ish

channing

Paper had The big kid from PG (soehner) with only 6 points. If he would have had a normal night for him they probably would have beat Huntsville.

always88

The Morris kid is still in Kansas, Oklahoma. And if he was on Gentry's roster, its doubtful that the games they have played would have been as close as final scores have indicated.

channing

I saw Gentry a couple of times last year and to me they seemed like they did have some pretty desent players, their coach just seemed to hold them back somewhat

Cajun Hog

Quote from: OldTimeCager on December 17, 2014, 09:58:54 am
Quote from: channing on December 17, 2014, 09:56:33 am

That's what I would like to know.  Is PG better than advertised or is Huntsville not the dominant team we assumed they would be.  Huntsville did destroy a Farmington team that destroyed Gravette.

PG is a lot better then people thought. They will be a factor in 1-4A this season.

4AWhistler

4AWhistler

48-45 Lincoln loses a very closely contested game .  Pea Ridge has trouble handling pressuring defense.

Cajun Hog

Berryville beat Gentry don't have the score.

channing

Anyone have wrap up of games last night , saw couple of scores,  Prairie Grove beat Gravette,  PR beat Lincoln , berryville beat Gentry,   anybody go to these games and have a recap ?

OldTimeCager

It is going to be a wide open race this year.  Anyone can beat anybody.  Champions will be the team that defends their home court and wins 3-4 on the road.

Prairie Grove (home) defeats Gravette 65-57 on a big 3Q.  Gravette's decision not to play 6'8" Austin White in the 1st Q was costly as PG's big Dylan Soehner scored 8 on simple power moves at the block in the 1st Q.  The two players neutralized each other the rest of the game, except with Soehner dominating the boards late in the 4th as Gravette raced to score late in the game.  Gravette's young guards made 5 bad turnovers in the 3rd that led to easy baskets for PG.  One official made 4-5 very questionable calls that all went PG's way and helped add to PGs cushion.  PG is better than most predicted, as are many of the other teams in the conference. 

Standings if I have all the outcomes right:

2-0 Huntsville
1-1 Prairie Grove, Gravette, Berryville, Pea Ridge, Gentry, Shiloh Christian
0-2 Lincoln

Next round of conference games in January
Shiloh Christian @ Prairie Grove
Gravette @ Pea Ridge
Berryville @ Lincoln
Gentry @ Huntsville

leaglebb

Huntsville girls lose to Prairie Grove at home by 1 pt on Tuesday night.  Don't know what happened as I wasn't there due to being under the weather, but I ran into one of the parents yesterday at Wal Mart and she said too many turnovers.  PG drove to the basket with 2 seconds left and made a shot to win.  Huntsville has lost 3 games by 1 pt early in the season.  I don't think PG is very good from what I've read and came into the game 3-8.   Huntsville probably let one get away they shouldn't have in this one.

Girls beat Shiloh Christian Friday night by 20+ and their defense caused a bunch of turnovers and they didn't turn it over very often. I was at this game and Shiloh isn't very good this year.  Huntsville came out very intense on defense and played mostly sub's the whole second half due to a 30 pt lead at one point.

Huntsville has  a lot of talent on this team and should be there come tourney time.

4AWhistler

Lincoln boys play Paris at Ozark tournament tonight at 5:30.

game on

TheHardTruth

December 27, 2014, 10:59:34 pm #86 Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 11:04:59 pm by TheHardTruth
I read that Paris won 61-48. Thread on the 3A board says they led by 24 in the third quarter.

BigMan15

Paris won 61-48 but it wasn't that close....Paris led by as much as 24 in the 3rd...Biggie was held to 14 pts and the sophomore Fenner from Paris led with 18.

4AWhistler

Lincoln didn't come out to play in the first half.  They did outscore Paris in the 2nd half.  They'll have to learn to play both halves with the same intensity.

#23 from Paris is a transfer from Charleston, correct?  He shot from 3-point range really well last night.

BigMan15

Yes he is the transfer from Charleston..Lincoln won the second half 29-27...Paris got really sloppy in the second half...they were playing not to lose instead of winning if that makes sense..

4AWhistler

Lincoln has Mena today at the Ozark tournament.

4AWhistler

Lincoln 87
Mena    72

Shooting/scoring didn't seem to be a problem for Lincoln today.  We'll see if they can show some consistency in that area tomorrow whe they play Cedarville in the Ozark tourney.

BigMan15

4AWhistler

29 and several blocked shots defensively

Leroy88

Low post game didn't look very solid today for Lincoln.

4AWhistler

I believe that position is a little under the weather and has been for a few days.

channing

Just heard final from boys Siloam tourney, Rogers 57-50 over Prairie Grove boys.  PG played without the 6"7 kid and there point guard,  anyone have recap of game???

4AWhistler

57-36 Lincoln over Cedarville.

25 points for Lincoln on the low post position. 
Cedarville just doesn't have any size.

Leroy88

4AWhistler

Quote from: channing on December 30, 2014, 02:45:38 pm
Just heard final from boys Siloam tourney, Rogers 57-50 over Prairie Grove boys.  PG played without the 6"7 kid and there point guard,  anyone have recap of game???

Any word on why PG was short handed?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas