• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Official Tyler Wilson for starting QB thread

Started by Eddie Goodson, September 27, 2008, 05:11:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Iknewthemwhen

Anyone who thought the Hogs would be good this season was dreaming, not enough defense, weak OL, too many Frosh on the field, new system that doesn't yet have the players to run it.   In the future if the fans are patient, BP will get then winning, but it is not going to be overnight.  The talent is not there, either not talented enouh or not yet mature enough.  The qb position is ok with CD as evidenced in the first two games, nobody is going to do well at qb with the hog OL against bama and texas.  CD has had plenty of pressure in his facethe past two games and tW is not ready to lead the hogs.  Yes, he needs some playing time but he is not ready to be the startr.  Besides the starter for next season is just waiting for his eligibility.

DB

I am all for letting Bobby Petrino make all the  football decisions.

RD™

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on September 28, 2008, 12:51:30 pm
Anyone who thought the Hogs would be good this season was dreaming, not enough defense, weak OL, too many Frosh on the field, new system that doesn't yet have the players to run it.   In the future if the fans are patient, BP will get then winning, but it is not going to be overnight.  The talent is not there, either not talented enouh or not yet mature enough.  The qb position is ok with CD as evidenced in the first two games, nobody is going to do well at qb with the hog OL against bama and texas.  CD has had plenty of pressure in his facethe past two games and tW is not ready to lead the hogs.  Yes, he needs some playing time but he is not ready to be the startr.  Besides the starter for next season is just waiting for his eligibility.
Everyone anointing Ryan Mallet as the Starter w/o taking a single in-game snap this season is crazy. Tyler/Ryan will compete for the spot, it won't be handed to Ryan just because he played at Michigan.

hillbilly

It won't be handed to him, be Mallet will win the job.

RD™

AB™

RD, I'm not saying that Mallet won't have to earn the job next year, but you have to believe it will be his to lose.  Wilson will probably see plenty more playing time this year though because Arkansas is going to be on the wrong side of plenty of ugly games.  The PT will only help his cause going into next season if he plays pretty well when his number is called.

7AFBFAN

Poor Nathan, A few weeks ago he was number two and now he isn't even in the conversation.

R. A.™

Quote from: RD™ on September 28, 2008, 05:08:25 pm
Quote from: hillbilly on September 28, 2008, 05:07:45 pm
We shall see.

Understand your devotion to your favorite son, but it is Mallet's to lose next year.

Quite Frankly

Actually, it's anyone's to earn.  All of us are simply speculating.

RD™

Quote from: R. A.™ on September 28, 2008, 06:11:22 pm
Quote from: RD™ on September 28, 2008, 05:08:25 pm
Quote from: hillbilly on September 28, 2008, 05:07:45 pm
We shall see.

Understand your devotion to your favorite son, but it is Mallet's to lose next year.
It's anyone's to lose. Nothing is guaranteed for Mallet. Both are great, glad to have them both, but the experience Tyler is getting will prove valuable.

7AFBFAN

I guess we are all assuming what we have now is the best we will get??? Surely Petrino would consider making an offer to an even better QB if one showed interest in Arkansas. I see QB's on TV all day long on Saturdays that are tons better than any we currently have on campus.

7AFBFAN

G that is the best idea I have heard. Give Wilson another year to gain experience and learn the offense. I would have suggested the redshirt this year.

AB™

It is only a matter of time until BP lands a top notch QB.  He's a very good coach and in his system he isn't going to have a hard time getting QB's to come play for him to throw the ball 35+ times a game.

Ty

And Mallett starting at Michigan wasn't valuable experience?

RD™

Quote from: Ty on September 28, 2008, 07:49:57 pm
Been off for a year.

Ty

Quote from: RD™ on September 28, 2008, 09:48:02 pm
Been off for a year.
Still, it's a lot of experience.

AB™

The speed of defensive secondaries in the Big 10 and SEC is also night and day difference.

Ty

Quote from: AB™ on September 28, 2008, 10:14:12 pm
The speed of defensive secondaries in the Big 10 and SEC is also night and day difference.
Being competitive in a game is also night and day from what we've been the past two weeks.

AB™

Quote from: Ty on September 28, 2008, 10:18:01 pm
Quote from: AB™ on September 28, 2008, 10:14:12 pm
Being competitive in a game is also night and day from what we've been the past two weeks.

Agreed.  Don't get me wrong, I think the job is Mallet's to lose next year, but sitting out a year you are going to collect some rust.

stattracker

I think starting for Michigan in the Big 10 certainly outweighs starting for, say Iowa state.

zebradynasty

SMC

Mallett will start next year.

And C Dick should start this year at least until the Hogs are mathematically eliminated from going to a bowl. They're 2-2, but everyone knew (or should have known) they were going to lose those 2 and also the next 2. So sitting at 2-4 they will have to go 4-2 down the stretch to make a bowl.

I know it's not likely, but it's possible. UK, MSU, OM, and Tulsa. They'd have to run that table, but you never know. Now if they fall to say 2-6 on the year, then sure, let Wilson start the last 4 games just for the heck of it. It will at least make competition with Mallett interesting.

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: zebradynasty on September 28, 2008, 10:28:49 pm
Big ten QB's seem to do better in the NFL.
Remind me of some Big Ten QB's starting in the NFL. I don't know of one other than Tom Brady.

AB™

Drew Brees and Kyle Orton.  I wouldn't exactly be proud of the latter though if I was a Big 10 guy.

AB™

September 28, 2008, 10:42:47 pm #74 Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 10:45:22 pm by AB™
From the SEC you've got, the two Manning's, Jason Campbell, Jay Cutler, and JaMarcus Russell.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I did some digging, and Kerry Collins is from Penn State.

I think former SEC QB's get the nod.  You've got arguably a top 5 QB of all-time in Peyton.  A Super Bowl MVP in Eli.  In Cutler and Eli you possibly have two of the best young QB's in the league and Campbell seems to be on his way to a very good NFL career.  The jury is still out on Russell.

Drew Brees has made a Pro-Bowl.  Orton has been laughable as a starter.  And Kerry Collins has actually had a decent career and made a Super Bowl.

Quite Frankly

Just to add, Griese is Michigan.

Croyle is SEC too. ::)

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: AB™ on September 28, 2008, 10:42:47 pm
From the SEC you've got, the two Manning's, Jason Campbell, Jay Cutler, and JaMarcus Russell.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I did some digging, and Kerry Collins is from Penn State.

I think former SEC QB's get the nod.
Hammer meet nail.

hb14lh

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on September 28, 2008, 10:33:09 pm
Quote from: zebradynasty on September 28, 2008, 10:28:49 pm
Big ten QB's seem to do better in the NFL.
Remind me of some Big Ten QB's starting in the NFL. I don't know of one other than Tom Brady.

Kerry Collins, Trent Green

AB™

Technically, if you count Collins, you've got 3/32 from the Big 10.  Only one of which is worth something.

From the SEC you've got 5/32.  Three of which are Pro-Bowl players, the fourth(Campbell)a very solid NFL QB, and like I said with Russell, the jury is still out.

hb14lh

Quote from: AB™ on September 28, 2008, 10:47:33 pm
Technically, if you count Collins, you've got 3/32 from the Big 10.  Only one of which is worth something.

From the SEC you've got 5/32.  Three of which are Pro-Bowl players, the fourth(Campbell)a very solid NFL QB, and like I said with Russell, the jury is still out.

4/32 for the Big 10, Trent "No, I haven't retired yet" Green

AB™

Quote from: QF© on September 28, 2008, 10:43:53 pm
Just to add, Griese is Michigan.

Croyle is SEC too. ::)

I would've thrown Croyle out there but didn't know if he counted as of this week.  Forgot Griese was starting again.  Either way, SEC QB's are better right now in the SEC.

AA FAN

We don't need to start this kid let Casey finish out the season and we will have the best qb on campus who is very able to run the offense next year In RM, so let casey finish out the season. We could have had the best qb in the country and we would have still lost to bama and texas.

SMC

Croyle is considered a starter? Isn't he out for the year?

T-Wacker

Was Penn State in the Big 10 when Collins was there? They joined in what year?

T-Wacker

Considering that the offense he ran was night and day from what he will run at Arkansas, I would say no.

SMC

Quote from: T-Wacker on September 29, 2008, 11:31:52 am
Was Penn State in the Big 10 when Collins was there? They joined in what year?

Yes, the year they went unbeaten and didn't win the NC, they played in the Rose Bowl as the B10 rep (against Oregon IIRC). Their weak Rose Bowl opponent is one reason they couldn't leapfrog Nebraska.

ppop

Quote from: T-Wacker on September 29, 2008, 11:32:56 am

Considering that the offense he ran was night and day from what he will run at Arkansas, I would say no.

I disagree.  Experience against D-1 competition is experience against D-1 competition.  It's not like Michigan was running the wishbone, and it's not like Mallett didn't throw the heck out of the ball at Texas High.  Should be an interesting competition next spring.  I trust Petrino to make the right call.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Guys, face it, this season is a wash. Casey has never been good and will not be good. Let Wilson play and get some experience. From an athletic standpoint the Wilson vs. Casey argument is moot because Wilson is much more gifted. Wilson will be here next year, Casey will be working at EZ-Mart................Build for the future, Petrino owes Dick nothing........................

7AFBFAN

Coach, did you watch Tyler on Saturday? It was painful to watch.

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on September 29, 2008, 03:27:59 pm
Guys, face it, this season is a wash. Casey has never been good and will not be good. Let Wilson play and get some experience. From an athletic standpoint the Wilson vs. Casey argument is moot because Wilson is much more gifted. Wilson will be here next year, Casey will be working at EZ-Mart................Build for the future, Petrino owes Dick nothing........................
Tyler doesn't look like he is so much more gifted. Casey had a decent game given he had 0 protection. It is pretty pathetic that you are a grown man bashing a player that has accomplished more from an athletic standpoint than you ever could when he hasn't done a single thing to you except been apart of a team that is losing this year due to lack of surrounding talent. What is the point of saying "Casey will be working at EZ-Mart."

ganglion

Don't you find it ironic that a QB so bad will hold so many records when he graduates?

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on September 29, 2008, 03:33:23 pm
Tyler doesn't look like he is so much more gifted. Casey had a decent game given he had 0 protection. It is pretty pathetic that you are a grown man bashing a player that has accomplished more from an athletic standpoint than you ever could when he hasn't done a single thing to you except been apart of a team that is losing this year due to lack of surrounding talent. What is the point of saying "Casey will be working at EZ-Mart."
Get your panties out of a wad. Are you Casey's dad or what? Point is, Tyler Wilson WILL be here next year and Casey Dick WILL NOT. We have 2,058 freshmen starting to prepare for later . It makes sense to start someone that WILL be here next year. And yes, like it or not Casey has sucked since he has been here. McFadden, Jones and Hillis saved his bacon last year....................no one to do it this year..................

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ganglion on September 29, 2008, 03:33:35 pm

Don't you find it ironic that a QB so bad will hold so many records when he graduates?
Yeah, records that wouldn't even be in the top twenty at 100 other schools...........................

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on September 29, 2008, 03:38:31 pm
Get your panties out of a wad. Are you Casey's dad or what? Point is, Tyler Wilson WILL be here next year and Casey Dick WILL NOT. We have 2,058 freshmen starting to prepare for later . It makes sense to start someone that WILL be here next year. And yes, like it or not Casey has sucked since he has been here. McFadden, Jones and Hillis saved his bacon last year....................no one to do it this year..................
It is just ridiculous how some of these players do nothing wrong but we have people sit here and make personal comments about them. It is one thing to talk about their play of the field, but you basically said he won't be successful in life. Everyone did it to Gary Ervin too and I defended him too. The only difference is Ervin actually was producing on the court and people bashed him for absolutely no reason this past season.

7AFBFAN

We need to stick with Casey until we get to an easier part of the schedule. Tyler is not ready to be thrown to the wolves. If you did not see that on Saturday you are blind. He didn't look confident and rightfully so. Casey has paid his dues and should be out there no matter how bad the result. At the end of the season if we see that we can not compete against normal teams maybe put Tyler out there for experience. Did anyone else but me not cringe on more than one hit put on Tyler Saturday?

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on September 29, 2008, 03:44:58 pm
Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on September 29, 2008, 03:38:31 pm
It is just ridiculous how some of these players do nothing wrong but we have people sit here and make personal comments about them. It is one thing to talk about their play of the field, but you basically said he won't be successful in life. Everyone did it to Gary Ervin too and I defended him too. The only difference is Ervin actually was producing on the court and people bashed him for absolutely no reason this past season.
I don't know if Casey will be working at EZ-Mart or not and could care less. It was a remark. I'm sure that Casey could care less. Point is AGAIN, DICK WILL NOT BE HERE NEXT YEAR (Thank Goodness), and WILSON WILL. LET"S PREPARE FOR THE FUTURE!

Ty

Our future is Mallett.

And then some stud Petrino brings in.

RHS

Didn't read the thread, but I think dumping the team for the future after 4 games isn't fair for the seniors. I would say if we're still doing bad after about 8 games, throw Tyler in.

zebradynasty

I fail to see how if a person doesn't win at a sport that makes him a employable only at EZ-Mart? I mean I've bashed few players but I never thought just because they weren't successful as a razorback that they would not be successful in life. Especially if the kid has had good attitude and CD has been first class and has represented the program well! He could have or should have transferred yet he stayed and even encouraged his brother to come and be a razorback. There are FAR more things wrong with the razorback football program than having CD as QB!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas