• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Official Tyler Wilson for starting QB thread

Started by Eddie Goodson, September 27, 2008, 05:11:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hb14lh

Quote from: zebradynasty on September 29, 2008, 04:38:14 pm
I fail to see how if a person doesn't win at a sport that makes him a employable only at EZ-Mart? I mean I've bashed few players but I never thought just because they weren't successful as a razorback that they would not be successful in life. Especially if the kid has had good attitude and CD has been first class and has represented the program well! He could have or should have transferred yet he stayed and even encouraged his brother to come and be a razorback. There are FAR more things wrong with the razorback football program than having CD as QB!

Amen! Ha

Casey Dick is one of the few good things about the Hogs. It's not his fault he has three 280lb lineman in his face before he can finish his dropback. He's throwing to Sophomores and Freshman. All the "Misreads" that Casey has had, are more than likely young players not running the right routes. I don't see any point putting in a true freshman at QB when more than likely he won't even start next season.

SMC

Quote from: RHS on September 29, 2008, 04:34:49 pm
Didn't read the thread, but I think dumping the team for the future after 4 games isn't fair for the seniors. I would say if we're still doing bad after about 8 games, throw Tyler in.

Absolutely.

And you don't throw in the towel at 2-2, no matter how bad those 2 blowout L's were. The team still only needs to play .500 ball to go to a bowl. Casey should be starting at least until the Hogs suffer loss #6.

Remember Casey's frosh year, when Nutt didn't put him in until the season was shot and they had to win out 4 games just to make a bowl? That's EXACTLY what should happen this year with Wilson. You do not give up the season at 2-2, that's just dumb.

rsvl_hogfan4

I fail to see how if a person doesn't win at a sport that makes him a employable only at EZ-Mart? I mean I've bashed few players but I never thought just because they weren't successful as a razorback that they would not be successful in life. Especially if the kid has had good attitude and CD has been first class and has represented the program well! He could have or should have transferred yet he stayed and even encouraged his brother to come and be a razorback. There are FAR more things wrong with the razorback football program than having CD as QB!
Exactly what I was saying. Glad I am not the only one thinking this.

zebradynasty

All the talk about QB really QB for this year and next year are not top priority. UA needs SEC lineman both offense and defense or Brett Farve couldn't get us to bowl game!

Iknewthemwhen

Mallet is the better talent, and I believe will win the job.  Wilson looked like a freshman against TX, time will or should improve his game but he is not ready judging from Sat. game.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: SMC on September 29, 2008, 05:52:29 pm
Quote from: RHS on September 29, 2008, 04:34:49 pm
Didn't read the thread, but I think dumping the team for the future after 4 games isn't fair for the seniors. I would say if we're still doing bad after about 8 games, throw Tyler in.

Absolutely.

And you don't throw in the towel at 2-2, no matter how bad those 2 blowout L's were. The team still only needs to play .500 ball to go to a bowl. Casey should be starting at least until the Hogs suffer loss #6.

Remember Casey's frosh year, when Nutt didn't put him in until the season was shot and they had to win out 4 games just to make a bowl? That's EXACTLY what should happen this year with Wilson. You do not give up the season at 2-2, that's just dumb.
Why is putting Wilson in considered throwing in the towel? He can't do any Worse than Dick.

Coach Venny Slocombe

I agree, there are more things wrong than just Dick. But remember, Dick wasn't any good last season with that offensive line, and that offensive line was good. He is probably a great guy and person, just not an SEC caliber QB. The EZ-Mart thing was a joke guys. get a life..........

7AFBFAN

September 30, 2008, 09:42:14 am #107 Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 10:11:56 am by 7AFBFAN
I

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on September 30, 2008, 09:33:36 am
I agree, there are more things wrong than just Dick. But remember, Dick wasn't any good last season with that offensive line, and that offensive line was good. He is probably a great guy and person, just not an SEC caliber QB. The EZ-Mart thing was a joke guys. get a life..........
Who was the coach and what was the offense though? Nutt, and handoff to McFadden or Jones.

stattracker

I feel real sorry for CD. That poor young man has had 4 different offensive schemes that he had to learn while he has been up there. The whole time he has been up there you have never heard him pass blame on anyone. He carries it all on his shoulders which is what a "Leader" does. Now, you have "so-called" fans asking for him to be benched for a true freshman that really hasn't done anything either.

Like I have stated before: I don't like him as a QB anymore than the next, but he gives us the best chance to WIN. We are freaking 2-2 right now. All we need is 4 games to be bowl eligible. I think there are 4 games out there. You don't quit when there is still games to be played.

I don't want to hear "the future either". The future is now not next year. I have no doubt that TW is probably a good QB, but he is not ready right now. If you throw him into the fire right now that is basically calling it quits and throwing in the towel.

Ty

Quote from: stattracker on September 30, 2008, 12:07:16 pm
I feel real sorry for CD. That poor young man has had 4 different offensive schemes that he had to learn while he has been up there. The whole time he has been up there you have never heard him pass blame on anyone. He carries it all on his shoulders which is what a "Leader" does. Now, you have "so-called" fans asking for him to be benched for a true freshman that really hasn't done anything either.

Like I have stated before: I don't like him as a QB anymore than the next, but he gives us the best chance to WIN. We are freaking 2-2 right now. All we need is 4 games to be bowl eligible. I think there are 4 games out there. You don't quit when there is still games to be played.

I don't want to hear "the future either". The future is now not next year. I have no doubt that TW is probably a good QB, but he is not ready right now. If you throw him into the fire right now that is basically calling it quits and throwing in the towel.
4 games in the SEC?

Are you serious?

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: Ty on September 30, 2008, 12:09:20 pm

4 games in the SEC?

Are you serious?
We do still have Tulsa. Not saying it will happen, but Tulsa, SC, MSU, UK, and Ole Miss are all a possibility. I highly doubt we win all of them, but who knows what could happen.

zebradynasty

Playing MM before he was ready sure helped him! Not bashing MM or TW playing true freshmen at QB in the SEC is risky not in the W-L column but mentally it can crush a kid.

AB™

Matthew Stafford and Tim Tebow both handled it pretty well.  Mustain wasn't playing great as a true freshman but he wasn't playing terrible either.  Stafford wasn't exactly lighting things up but Richt stuck with him throughout the end of the season.

ppop

Just to compare apples with apples, Stafford graduated early and entered Georgia in January.  He had a full spring under his belt before starting in the fall.

RHS

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on September 30, 2008, 09:33:36 amBut remember, Dick wasn't any good last season with that offensive line, and that offensive line was good.

Jeff already pointed out the "Who was the coach and what offense did we run" thing, so I'll add this. When McFadden has been asked what the toughest thing to learn in the NFL is, he has almost always said his protection duties on picking up blitzers because he almost never had to do it in college. That alone tells you about the difference in the schemes.

Quote from: AB™ on September 30, 2008, 01:14:15 pm
Tim Tebow handled it pretty well.

He also wasn't asked to start every game. He got to come along gradually and only had to worry about learning a few plays that year.

zebradynasty

Quote from: AB™ on September 30, 2008, 01:14:15 pm
Matthew Stafford and Tim Tebow both handled it pretty well.  Mustain wasn't playing great as a true freshman but he wasn't playing terrible either.  Stafford wasn't exactly lighting things up but Richt stuck with him throughout the end of the season.

Stafford looked exactly like MM did as a freshman very inconsistent and erratic. You are right the coach decided to stay with him it was a gamble and it paid off. Tebow was brought in gradually and never had the pressure of running the whole offense through him. Peyton Manning only threw for 1200 yards his freshman year. Starting a freshman at QB is the exception not the rule.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on September 30, 2008, 11:04:11 am
Who was the coach and what was the offense though? Nutt, and handoff to McFadden or Jones.
Your proving my point. He would throw bad passes and interceptions in that offense. He is not good at making quick decisions. You guys will see the rest of this year, if he makes it. He will not get any better. All I am saying is, Play Tyler Wilson, Nathan Dick or Jim Youngblood so we can prepare for the future. Casey Dick is not the future at Arkansas.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on September 30, 2008, 12:18:10 pm
Quote from: Ty on September 30, 2008, 12:09:20 pm

4 games in the SEC?

Are you serious?
We do still have Tulsa. Not saying it will happen, but Tulsa, SC, MSU, UK, and Ole Miss are all a possibility. I highly doubt we win all of them, but who knows what could happen.
Great, get a young QB in there and get a head start on next year. Casey Dick is owed nothing just because he is a Senior. Who knows if given the opportunuty what one of our young QB's could do................

RHS

We've already seen what Tyler can do. Throw pick 6's.

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on September 30, 2008, 02:18:45 pm
Your proving my point. He would throw bad passes and interceptions in that offense. He is not good at making quick decisions. You guys will see the rest of this year, if he makes it. He will not get any better. All I am saying is, Play Tyler Wilson, Nathan Dick or Jim Youngblood so we can prepare for the future. Casey Dick is not the future at Arkansas.
He has already got better than he was last year. No, I did not prove your point. You said he was horrible last year. He wasn't horrible, he was average and the type of offense he was in with the coach he had wasn't what he needed. He wasn't being developed like he should. Nutt has never developed a QB. Casey was not allowed to check off either. He is able to make more decisions this year, and for the most part he has made good ones. He has only thrown 1 interception this year that was his fault. That is the 2nd pick 6 against Alabama. The first pick 6 was because of a bad route. The 3rd interception that game was a pass interference and DJ fell down once he got hit leaving the defender an easy catch. The first interception Casey threw was against WIU and Lucas Miller just let it go through his hands. Given the horrible protection and lack of experienced talent at WR, Casey has not done that bad.

zebradynasty

Why confine the future is now motto to just the qb? Why not play all the freshman not redshirt any? TW has to play cause we've blown the redshirt this year but to move him to starter now after 4 games with no more reason than he can't be any worse than CD is not good judgement IMO. It looks like to me the freshman that are playing it is due to fact they are actually better or as good as the upperclassman. So far TW has not proved that he is as good or better than CD handing a position to a player usually is a recipe for disaster.

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: zebradynasty on September 30, 2008, 12:37:12 pm
Playing MM before he was ready sure helped him! Not bashing MM or TW playing true freshmen at QB in the SEC is risky not in the W-L column but mentally it can crush a kid.
MM 8-0 as starter. Spin it how you want, 8-0 is still 8-0.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on September 30, 2008, 02:32:19 pm
Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on September 30, 2008, 02:18:45 pm
He has already got better than he was last year. No, I did not prove your point. You said he was horrible last year. He wasn't horrible, he was average and the type of offense he was in with the coach he had wasn't what he needed. He wasn't being developed like he should. Nutt has never developed a QB. Casey was not allowed to check off either. He is able to make more decisions this year, and for the most part he has made good ones. He has only thrown 1 interception this year that was his fault. That is the 2nd pick 6 against Alabama. The first pick 6 was because of a bad route. The 3rd interception that game was a pass interference and DJ fell down once he got hit leaving the defender an easy catch. The first interception Casey threw was against WIU and Lucas Miller just let it go through his hands. Given the horrible protection and lack of experienced talent at WR, Casey has not done that bad.
Why is it always someone else's fault but Casey's. Casey threw the interceptions last year and he has thrown them this year. They are on Casey's stats no matter how you spin it. He is not an SEC caliber QB and no matter what you say he will never be. History tells the tale. Get some experience to the younger guys and let Mr. C go down the road.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on September 30, 2008, 03:19:40 pm
Exactly...........................

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: RHS on September 30, 2008, 02:28:09 pm
Same as CD. Give Wilson all the first team reps all week and let him start and play the game as the starter with all starters in and he may do better. You never know until you try.........................

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on September 30, 2008, 03:35:01 pm
Same as CD. Give Wilson all the first team reps all week and let him start and play the game as the starter with all starters in and he may do better. You never know until you try.........................
You must not have watched the game. Casey was only taken out because he got injured. We just kept him in after Casey felt better because it was pointless to put him back in. Tyler was in there with all of the starters. Our line was still in and he was throwing to DJ Williams and Joe Adams. He over threw a wide open TD pass to Jarius Wright who was actually named a starter in the first game but has been quiet. Tyler was playing with the first team, but he was playing against the 2nd and 3 string at the end of the game.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on September 30, 2008, 03:39:10 pm
You must not have watched the game. Casey was only taken out because he got injured. We just kept him in after Casey felt better because it was pointless to put him back in. Tyler was in there with all of the starters. Our line was still in and he was throwing to DJ Williams and Joe Adams. He over threw a wide open TD pass to Jarius Wright who was actually named a starter in the first game but has been quiet. Tyler was playing with the first team, but he was playing against the 2nd and 3 string at the end of the game.
We kept him in? So you are on staff?

RHS

*Starts banging his head against the wall.

AllSmiles

Quote from: RHS on September 30, 2008, 06:08:07 pm

*Starts banging his head against the wall.

Great stress reliever isn't it?

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on September 30, 2008, 05:51:10 pm
Judging by some of your posts, I sometimes wonder if you are the one working at E-Z Mart.

Quite Frankly

EZ Mart does suck.  We need some Quick Trip's in NWA.

olemissjacket99

how about a kum and go??  saw this kid play in wynne a few yrs ago and wow??  sumgun was a freak!!  he gets my nod for the hogs starting qb!!!

Quite Frankly

There a few Kum & Go's in NWA and they are better than EZ Marts.  But QT's are the bomb.

zebradynasty

Was MM getting better as the season went on? That's why he was benched. The 8-0 is a great TEAM stat but was he a better QB when he took over as starter vs when he was pulled. If you answer that truthfully then you'll not bring that stat up again!

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on September 30, 2008, 09:15:52 pm
Judging by some of your posts, I sometimes wonder if you are the one working at E-Z Mart.

lol, keep thinking that. At least I can see beyond mediocrity. As a matter of fact Dick is below mediocrity, but it seems you can't see that................and if I am working at EZ-Mart, it sure is paying alot of money...............

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on September 30, 2008, 10:29:57 pm

lol, keep thinking that. At least I can see beyond mediocrity. As a matter of fact Dick is below mediocrity, but it seems you can't see that................and if I am working at EZ-Mart, it sure is paying alot of money...............
No, I just understand the game. I understand that it isn't always the QB's fault for a sack, incomplete pass, or lack of offense. It takes 10 other guys for an offense to work. Casey cannot do it without blockers or experienced WRs. He hasn't been great, but considering what we have I would say he hasn't been bad.

stattracker

Do you not understand how ridiculous you sound? I don't think anyone is saying that CD is the golden child. What is being said is that TW isn't ready and it's not fair to him or the team to put him in and get him killed. That is not a way to learn anything. If you had your way you would have him ducking D-Lineman in his sleep; if he slept at all.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on September 30, 2008, 10:34:04 pm

No, I just understand the game. I understand that it isn't always the QB's fault for a sack, incomplete pass, or lack of offense. It takes 10 other guys for an offense to work. Casey cannot do it without blockers or experienced WRs. He hasn't been great, but considering what we have I would say he hasn't been bad.
I understand the game too. I understand that this year he is working with less than the last two years. But, the last two years he wasn't any good, this year he isn't any good so what makes you think he is going to get any better the last half of this season? At this point we need to look at the future. The QB position has to be a leader and the driving force of our offense. Now Wilson may or may not be the starter next season, but heck it sure would go along ways getting him ready with these receivers so they can have some sort of rapport. Again, I don't think you understand, CASEY WILL NOT BE HERE NEXT YEAR................and if he was Mallet would blow him out of the water.

RHS

There is more into being a QB than just throwing the ball around on the field. My guess is that the staff still feels like Casey has all the intangibles in his favor and they will stick with him for longer than 4 freaking games.

You guys ready to basically give up on the season make me laugh.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: stattracker on September 30, 2008, 10:37:43 pm

Do you not understand how ridiculous you sound? I don't think anyone is saying that CD is the golden child. What is being said is that TW isn't ready and it's not fair to him or the team to put him in and get him killed. That is not a way to learn anything. If you had your way you would have him ducking D-Lineman in his sleep; if he slept at all.
So I guess that all freshman QB's should never play? Now who is sounding ridiculous. Don't play Tebow, he is a freshman! The experience that Wilson would gain would be unbelievable. We will leave it to Bobby, but I bet at some point it happens.......................

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on September 30, 2008, 10:40:09 pm
Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on September 30, 2008, 10:34:04 pm

I understand the game too. I understand that this year he is working with less than the last two years. But, the last two years he wasn't any good, this year he isn't any good so what makes you think he is going to get any better the last half of this season? At this point we need to look at the future. The QB position has to be a leader and the driving force of our offense. Now Wilson may or may not be the starter next season, but heck it sure would go along ways getting him ready with these receivers so they can have some sort of rapport. Again, I don't think you understand, CASEY WILL NOT BE HERE NEXT YEAR................and if he was Mallet would blow him out of the water.
It is stupid to give up already. However, throwing in a freshman QB right now so that he can start out failing is stupid. It will not help. I don't see how anyone thinks throwing him in as the starting QB, when he hasn't even played good to begin with in garbage time, will help us in the future.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: RHS on September 30, 2008, 10:42:19 pm
There is more into being a QB than just throwing the ball around on the field. My guess is that the staff still feels like Casey has all the intangibles in his favor and they will stick with him for longer than 4 freaking games.

lol, so benching Casey is giving up on the season? Tell that to the Titans and Kerry Collins......................

RHS

Venny, you obviously missed the point on #15. If you want/are forced into playing a freshman QB, you don't want to put all the pressure on him early. The ideal situation would be to bring him along. Find out some things he does good and incorporate those into your gameplan for him. That is exactly what happened for #15.

Wahls

RANDOM TANGENT ALERT:

I called into Sports Talk in early August before school started, and asked why they were expecting Casey Dick to be some sort of god at quarterback with no proof, because history repeats itself, and they wouldn't shut up about it for like three days straight. I eventually got yelled off the show, asking why I was such a pessimist, and Mattingly always gets the last word as you know if you listen to the show. Dudley added that the system was totally different. Awesome, so now Casey can stare down one receiver in an offense that requires so much more than that.

I listened Thursday or Friday, and they're being these incredible optimists. "I think you are crazy if you don't believe Arkansas won't win at least 2 more." Casey Dick is now required to make more reads, and that's somehow magically going to make him better, but we're the crazy ones thinking we may not win two more games? Their rose colored shades made this longtime listener quit last week.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Yeah, you guys are right. Casey is the saviour of Arkansas football. My gosh, he does it all right and is in the same league as Elway, Montana and Marino. We will see how the season plays out and I will be willing to bet anybody anything they want that Casey does not improve at all and will struggle as long as he plays................you guys continue to strive for mediocrity. Heck we should have just kept Nutt..................

RD™

Quote from: RHS on September 30, 2008, 10:42:19 pm

For the record I was drunk when I posted that ;D

Wahls

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on September 30, 2008, 10:49:25 pm
Yeah, you guys are right. Casey is the saviour of Arkansas football. My gosh, he does it all right and is in the same league as Elway, Montana and Marino. We will see how the season plays out and I will be willing to bet anybody anything they want that Casey does not improve at all and will struggle as long as he plays................you guys continue to strive for mediocrity. Heck we should have just kept Nutt..................

I agree with you, but let me ask you this. Do you think Tyler Wilson is REALLY the future of the Hogs?

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: DQ's Comin' on September 30, 2008, 10:51:05 pm

I agree with you, but let me ask you this. Do you think Tyler Wilson is REALLY the future of the Hogs?
I don't know. I know that it should be either Wilson, Youngblood or Nathan Dick. Mallett may be the future.....................

Wahls

September 30, 2008, 11:01:10 pm #149 Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 11:39:22 pm by RHS
Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on September 30, 2008, 10:56:02 pm
Quote from: DQ's Comin' on September 30, 2008, 10:51:05 pm

I don't know. I know that it should be either Wilson, Youngblood or Nathan Dick. Mallett may be the future.....................
Youngblood is going baseball. I read somewhere on here or Hogville that Youngblood was in the student section for the LA Monroe game.

Thing that's killing me is that I heard Wilson is working with a very limited number of packages as far as the offense goes. He's having just as many problems with the offense as Casey is.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas