• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Baseball Hogs

Started by RHS, March 08, 2008, 12:01:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rsvl_hogfan4

Arkansas had 2 on with 1 out and we strike out looking and foul out to end the inning. That makes 11 stranded runners today. We are obviously getting on base, we just cannot get them home. It is ridiculous we don't have at least 4 or 5 runs right now. It is 5-1 Stanford in the top of the 9th. It looks like the season ends here. Good news is we are young and will likely have a top 15 team next year and likely host a regional.

Quite Frankly

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on May 31, 2008, 05:45:37 pm
Quote from: Quite Frankly on May 31, 2008, 04:51:55 pm
Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on May 31, 2008, 04:11:15 pm
Quote from: Quite Frankly on May 31, 2008, 03:58:34 pm
http://gostanford.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/08-regional-central.html?KEY=&DB_OEM_ID=6100&DB_LANG=&IN_SUBSCRIBER_CONTENT=

Elimination game for the Hogs.  Bats staying silent as we have two hits through the 3rd and trail Stanford 2-0.

Strangely due to the bracket, we are home.  Come on Hogs.

I think in the loser's bracket, there is a coin toss to determine the home team.

I think by design it's that way through the second round to give the same 'advantage' to each team at least once if possible.  I know on several occasions when the Hogs were hosting they were 'visitors'.  I think the coin flip comes later.

FSU and UF had a flip yesterday for today's game.

That's because each one already has been the home team.  If one had not, I believe there would have been no flip. 

RD™

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on May 31, 2008, 05:51:09 pm
Arkansas had 2 on with 1 out and we strike out looking and foul out to end the inning. That makes 11 stranded runners today. We are obviously getting on base, we just cannot get them home. It is ridiculous we don't have at least 4 or 5 runs right now. It is 5-1 Stanford in the top of the 9th. It looks like the season ends here. Good news is we are young and will likely have a top 15 team next year and likely host a regional.
That's the upside. Next year looks to be promising, especially if Tyler Wilson, or James Youngblood get the opportunity to pitch with the Hogs.

Quite Frankly

Quite Frankly

May 31, 2008, 06:13:27 pm #504 Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 06:15:20 pm by Quite Frankly
We need a new hitting coach too.

Bobby Petrino you're up!  Football talk has officially begun.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Quite Frankly on May 31, 2008, 05:53:20 pm
Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on May 31, 2008, 05:45:37 pm
Quote from: Quite Frankly on May 31, 2008, 04:51:55 pm
Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on May 31, 2008, 04:11:15 pm
Quote from: Quite Frankly on May 31, 2008, 03:58:34 pm
http://gostanford.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/08-regional-central.html?KEY=&DB_OEM_ID=6100&DB_LANG=&IN_SUBSCRIBER_CONTENT=

Elimination game for the Hogs.  Bats staying silent as we have two hits through the 3rd and trail Stanford 2-0.

Strangely due to the bracket, we are home.  Come on Hogs.

I think in the loser's bracket, there is a coin toss to determine the home team.

I think by design it's that way through the second round to give the same 'advantage' to each team at least once if possible.  I know on several occasions when the Hogs were hosting they were 'visitors'.  I think the coin flip comes later.

FSU and UF had a flip yesterday for today's game.

That's because each one already has been the home team.  If one had not, I believe there would have been no flip. 

There would have still been a flip regardless of whether it was FSU or Bucknell playing UF today.

RHS

Quote from: RD™ on May 31, 2008, 06:11:01 pm
That's the upside. Next year looks to be promising, especially if Tyler Wilson, or James Youngblood get the opportunity to pitch with the Hogs.

Who is James Youngblood?

You don't see too many doubles of football/baseball. I think it would be even more rare for a pitcher/QB to double since I would imagine you would have to alter your throwing motion for each sport.

bulldogs1159

Quote from: RHS on May 31, 2008, 11:43:12 pm
Quote from: RD™ on May 31, 2008, 06:11:01 pm

Who is James Youngblood?

You don't see too many doubles of football/baseball. I think it would be even more rare for a pitcher/QB to double since I would imagine you would have to alter your throwing motion for each sport.
It actually happens more often then you think. Josh Fields from OSU the last big name to come to mind. Arkansas State had a QB that played baseball as well just a couple years ago.

AB™

I thought baseball/football combo athletes in college were pretty common?

He wasn't a QB but the WR who's name I can't spell from Notre Dame I believe is playing for the Cubs AA or AAA affiliate right now as a pitcher. 

I haven't seen Youngblood play, but Wilson is a very good pitcher.  From what I've seen from Wilson he definitely has the ability to play college baseball at an SEC caliber school.

SMC

Combos are common, but pitchers/QBs are a different animal because the throwing motion is so much different. Would be a hard habit to break after throwing a football where you only pull the ball back to your ear, and then go to a baseball where you have to come all the way over the top, or vice versa.

I don't know if coaches would want their QB spending the offseason throwing a baseball motion instead of practicing football reps.

RHS

Quote from: SMC on June 01, 2008, 04:33:17 pm
Combos are common, but pitchers/QBs are a different animal because the throwing motion is so much different. Would be a hard habit to break after throwing a football where you only pull the ball back to your ear, and then go to a baseball where you have to come all the way over the top, or vice versa.

I don't know if coaches would want their QB spending the offseason throwing a baseball motion instead of practicing football reps.

That's what I was going for.

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: AB™ on June 01, 2008, 04:30:07 pm

He wasn't a QB but the WR who's name I can't spell from Notre Dame I believe is playing for the Cubs AA or AAA affiliate right now as a pitcher.

I haven't seen Youngblood play, but Wilson is a very good pitcher.  From what I've seen from Wilson he definitely has the ability to play college baseball at an SEC caliber school.
Yeah, Jeff Smardzjia. Probably butchered his last name. At one point, they were talking about him possibly trying to pitch for the Cubs and play for the Bears at the same time. That would be insane.

bulldogs1159

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on June 02, 2008, 10:58:57 am
Quote from: AB™ on June 01, 2008, 04:30:07 pm

Yeah, Jeff Smardzjia. Probably butchered his last name. At one point, they were talking about him possibly trying to pitch for the Cubs and play for the Bears at the same time. That would be insane.
He just keeps adding reasons to hate him. Notre Dame, Cubs, Bears....

AB™

There isn't anything wrong with the two Chicago teams you mentioned.  The other though is more than enough to make you have a general dislike towards someone.

bulldogs1159

Tobin, will you be going to any of the Cardinal vs Nationals games in the next coming days?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas