• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2010-2011 Arkansas Basketball

Started by AB™, December 08, 2010, 06:34:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fastdrop

Quote from: The Snowman on December 23, 2010, 08:22:20 am
Quote from: fastdrop on December 23, 2010, 07:39:32 am
BG nailed it. Most of the coaches and players in college now are nothing but Hired Basketball Mercenaries. The system has figured out a way to get these hired guns in the system and even if they wanted to stay they lack the educational fundamentals to stay.... one or 2 and done is the longest they can stay.

QuoteAs far as the NBA is concerned, it is more popular now than it has been for awhile. Stars galore including some young guns like Durant and Lebron, established HOFs like Kobe and Duncan, Lakers and Celtics back on top providing a much needed rivalry, and they have taken much of the thug image away. Nobody does as good a job of promoting their sport as the NFL, but the NBA gets a B+.
Rattler I agree with most everything you posted. It was right on as far as College basketball goes for me.

But ... The NBA stars are nothing more than HIP HOP RAP basketball players.. LOL

I remember real stars --- that had a little class-

n the 70's and 80's, I actually preferred pro basketball to college hoops. The NBA had Wilt, Kareem, Bob Lanier, Pete Maravich, Connie Hawkins, Rick Barry, Nate Archibald, Elvin Hayes, Bob McAdoo, and many other great players. The 70's gave us the Lakers with Wilt, Jerry West, Gail Goodrich (and Pat Riley); the Knicks featured Willis Reed, Walt Frazier, Earl Monroe (and Phil Jackson); those fabulous Celtic teams starred Dave Cowens, Paul Silas, John Havlicek and Jo Jo White; the Milwaukee Bucks boasted Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Oscar Robertson, and Bob Dandridge; the Detroit Pistons featured Dave Bing and Bob Lanier; and the Baltimore/Washington Bullets were amazing with Elvin Hayes, Wes Unseld, and Phil Chenier.

Those were good days for the NBA, and when the older players retired, four ABA teams were admitted into the league. Suddenly we witnessed the talents of players from the so-called inferior league as Artis Gilmore, Julius Erving, George McGinnis, George Gervin, Maurice Lucas and others now battled with the established stars.

The excitement increased as the 80's brought us Lakers Showtime, with Worthy and Magic running the break while Kareem patrolled the middle; Moses Malone, Dr. J and Charles Barkley together on one team; the original Twin Towers (it would have been fun to watch Ralph Sampson and Hakeem Olajuwon face off against their 90's counterparts, David Robinson and Tim Duncan); and, an amazing Celtics team with Larry Bird, Robert Parrish, and Kevin McHale. The mid-80's introduced a guy who would single-handedly change the NBA landscape named Michael Jordan. Despite his offensive brilliance, his teams weren't ready yet to compete with the NBA's upper echelon. He was fun to watch, though.

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Decline-and-Fall-of-the-NBA

BTW --- I can go to any Grizzly home game I want to for free -- I have always passed on it. I had rather watch High School Basketball where the kids are playing for family, friends, at their school.... unless you are one of dem Private schools.

Those players back then seemed to have a little "class" because they weren't in an era where their every move was tracked and displayed for the world to see.  Wilt was a womanizer to say the least and a lot of them were drug users ala Kareem taking tokes of the funny smelling cigarette.
agreed... I guess I meant on the court. They played the whole game of basketball in a purer era of the game. It was about the game and it goes back to what BG said earlier.... You knew when a player played for your team ... he was always going to play for your team until he retired. The players established roots in their city and was proud to play for the fans --- strong relationships are built over time and games were truly city against city.

gatecrasher

Still not convinced that Pel is the answer as our coach...

FreeMoney

Quote from: gatecrasher on December 25, 2010, 12:19:28 am
I agree totally. If he was the answer there would be better more complete players there now and we wouldn't be in this wait till next year mode that 90% of the posters on here are singing.

AT

Quote from: gatecrasher on December 25, 2010, 12:19:28 am

I am not either. FreeMoney is right when he says we don't see much progression of players. I also see nothing that resembles a half court offense yet.

I am not full anti-Pelphrey yet...but its getting tough to say "wait til next year" even with this recruiting class coming in.

OlGuyWicker

They look a lot like an AAU team, they try to go out and play off their talent.  Most offenses are dribble oriented.  Not as much passing or structure.  What happened to the promise to restore the days of the Richardson type defense?

AB™

Arkansas (and this falls on Pelphrey more than anyone else) keeps trying to go through too many stretches of games where he runs the offense through Clarke.  The other four players are out there setting screens and trying to get the ball to Clarke for the first option in the halfcourt.  That killed Arkansas against Texas A&M. 

The team basketball IQ is very low right now as well.  They kept shooting 3-pointer after 3-pointer against Texas Southern, despite only making about 1 out of every 4.  It finally clicked about 10 minutes into the second half that they weren't hitting from the outside, they started attacking the rim, and got easy shots in the lane.  Why Pelphrey didn't call a timeout it the first half after one of the possessions where Arkansas jacked up and bricked 3 or 4 three pointers is beyond me, but it took the players WAY too long to realize it on their own.

gatecrasher

I turn the TV on and I still see no identity, especially on offense.

Against aTm, once the game went to OT (only bit of it I was able to watch), I saw not one trip into the lane the first 3+ minutes ( I changed the channel after we got down by 8). It looked like the pregame shootaround for my daughter's pee wee team.

Romeo

The good: Arkansas wins tonight 87-59.

The bad: Glenn Bryant went down with an apparent leg injury.

The ugly: Marshawn Powell is suspended indefinitely possibly due to academics.

Bondfan4ever

According to Blake Eddins, it was an hyperextended elbow and an ankle injury.  I hope he can come back sooner rather than later.

Brian G

Haydar with 8 points in the final 5 minutes.

FreeMoney

Quote from: AB™ on December 26, 2010, 12:30:34 am
Arkansas (and this falls on Pelphrey more than anyone else) keeps trying to go through too many stretches of games where he runs the offense through Clarke.  The other four players are out there setting screens and trying to get the ball to Clarke for the first option in the halfcourt.  That killed Arkansas against Texas A&M. 

The team basketball IQ is very low right now as well.  They kept shooting 3-pointer after 3-pointer against Texas Southern, despite only making about 1 out of every 4.  It finally clicked about 10 minutes into the second half that they weren't hitting from the outside, they started attacking the rim, and got easy shots in the lane.  Why Pelphrey didn't call a timeout it the first half after one of the possessions where Arkansas jacked up and bricked 3 or 4 three pointers is beyond me, but it took the players WAY too long to realize it on their own.
And a single one of these players is anything close to a complementary player for Clarke and we've gone through three recruiting classes to find someone who can. It isn't the players fault. this all goes wrong during the evaluation periods. I'll even go this far and say we really don't know if Pel can coach or not what we do know is that he hasn't proven he can evaluate talent and put a team together. and I do not want to hear how great these guys are that we have coming in next year .  I'm sure they are great individual players during the AAU season.

RATTLER43

Quote from: fastdrop on December 23, 2010, 07:39:32 am
BG nailed it. Most of the coaches and players in college now are nothing but Hired Basketball Mercenaries. The system has figured out a way to get these hired guns in the system and even if they wanted to stay they lack the educational fundamentals to stay.... one or 2 and done is the longest they can stay.

QuoteAs far as the NBA is concerned, it is more popular now than it has been for awhile. Stars galore including some young guns like Durant and Lebron, established HOFs like Kobe and Duncan, Lakers and Celtics back on top providing a much needed rivalry, and they have taken much of the thug image away. Nobody does as good a job of promoting their sport as the NFL, but the NBA gets a B+.
Rattler I agree with most everything you posted. It was right on as far as College basketball goes for me.

But ... The NBA stars are nothing more than HIP HOP RAP basketball players.. LOL

I remember real stars --- that had a little class-

n the 70's and 80's, I actually preferred pro basketball to college hoops. The NBA had Wilt, Kareem, Bob Lanier, Pete Maravich, Connie Hawkins, Rick Barry, Nate Archibald, Elvin Hayes, Bob McAdoo, and many other great players. The 70’s gave us the Lakers with Wilt, Jerry West, Gail Goodrich (and Pat Riley); the Knicks featured Willis Reed, Walt Frazier, Earl Monroe (and Phil Jackson); those fabulous Celtic teams starred Dave Cowens, Paul Silas, John Havlicek and Jo Jo White; the Milwaukee Bucks boasted Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Oscar Robertson, and Bob Dandridge; the Detroit Pistons featured Dave Bing and Bob Lanier; and the Baltimore/Washington Bullets were amazing with Elvin Hayes, Wes Unseld, and Phil Chenier.

Those were good days for the NBA, and when the older players retired, four ABA teams were admitted into the league. Suddenly we witnessed the talents of players from the so-called inferior league as Artis Gilmore, Julius Erving, George McGinnis, George Gervin, Maurice Lucas and others now battled with the established stars.

The excitement increased as the 80's brought us Lakers Showtime, with Worthy and Magic running the break while Kareem patrolled the middle; Moses Malone, Dr. J and Charles Barkley together on one team; the original Twin Towers (it would have been fun to watch Ralph Sampson and Hakeem Olajuwon face off against their 90’s counterparts, David Robinson and Tim Duncan); and, an amazing Celtics team with Larry Bird, Robert Parrish, and Kevin McHale. The mid-80’s introduced a guy who would single-handedly change the NBA landscape named Michael Jordan. Despite his offensive brilliance, his teams weren’t ready yet to compete with the NBA’s upper echelon. He was fun to watch, though.

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Decline-and-Fall-of-the-NBA

BTW --- I can go to any Grizzly home game I want to for free -- I have always passed on it. I had rather watch High School Basketball where the kids are playing for family, friends, at their school.... unless you are one of dem Private schools.

Agreed. Magic, Worthy, Cooper, etc were Lakers; Bird and McHale were Celtics; Hakeem was a Rocket; and so on. They seemed to play for their franchises/cities like college athletes seem to most of the time.

As for the "little class", I think it is a microcosm for our entire society. There have always been "good guys" and "wild guys" in athletics. But the percentages seem to have changed to me. But I also agree that we were not fully aware of what was going on back then. It just seems that now there are almost no A. C. Greens out there.

Kareem on drugs? I knew Walton was liberal. Did not realize Kareem was into such.

fastdrop

JUMP BALL -- No fans showing up for games --- this with the Hogs winning!!!

Pel is in a no win situation .... Since Petrino is in a no lose situation maybe he can be the savior to the basketball program too. If he would just start attending the games after the sugar bowl is over I think it would increase attendance. He could do the post game show with Pel. Heck you might even want to pay Petrino to sit on the bench just to argue with the refs.

RATTLER43

I like it; I like it. Have a bunch of the football players in the student section.

InYoGrill

Hog Basketball- Hahaha. I can't watch them play these scrub teams when they win by 10 or less pts. Ironic, how we had fire spitting coaches like Sutton and Richardson and won big consistently and looked good playing O and D. Then we hire pacifists Heath and Pel. Super nice quiet guys with good kharma and then we see the end result of our team play- disappointing for the most part. How many local talent players have we signed since Nolan left? Players from Memphis, Tulsa, Dallas? We proved years ago that if we recruited players from these not so far away urban pools and signed the top AR player every year that with a strong willed coach we could WIN most years. Something has got to give by the end of the year. I don't want to hear about our stellar record so far this year. We have played a patsy schedule and I'm thinking we'll have no better than a .500 conference record.

Hoghead

SEC West Basketball is down this year. Let's  See if Eddie Haskell (Pel) in the Roller Funeral Home Suits can coach well enough for the Hogs to compete for the SEC West Title.

Romeo

In case anyone forgot the basketball hogs plays Texas tonight.

AirWarren

I didn't. I'm still a fan and a supporter of pel.

redwolf143

Quote from: Romeo on January 04, 2011, 06:56:07 am
In case anyone forgot the basketball hogs plays Texas tonight.
Not going to be a good game.

Romeo

I would put the score right now for the game but seeing how the football game is turning out I don't want to risk causing a suicide. Just know its bad.

Indiana Jones

79-46 Whorns won

at least we know the football team is in good hands

the SEc sucks in hoops and yet we'll probably go 4-12

Romeo

All the cupcake MEAC, SWAC games are over, (except for Florida A&M). Time to see what Pelphrey is made of. We can finish 7-9 or even 6-10 and still qualify for the NIT. As bad as the SEC is this year if we have a similar conference record like the last two years Pelphrey needs to go. I don't care if freakin Michael Jordan is in next year's class. You can have all the talent in the world but if you have terrible coaching all your going to do is underachieve.

Hoghead

In the words of FC Joe........... Pel must Go !

Romeo

Women hogs win tonight 78-67 against #10 Kentucky. 

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: Romeo on January 05, 2011, 12:08:09 am
You can have all the talent in the world but if you have terrible coaching all your going to do is underachieve.

People actually think Pel's gonna do something with the incoming class.  Ha!

Brian G

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on January 06, 2011, 11:09:27 pm
You can have all the talent in the world but if you have terrible coaching all your going to do is underachieve.

Hey you.  This isn't Jump Ball.

Hoghead

Quote from: Romeo on January 06, 2011, 09:18:39 pm
They could give Pels bunch a run for their money !

fastdrop

I am about ready to dump a Memphis Tiger coach.....

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Hoghead on January 07, 2011, 01:14:29 am
Quote from: Romeo on January 06, 2011, 09:18:39 pm
They could give Pels bunch a run for their money !
I just wonder how close the attendence is at womens games verses the mens games at Arkansas.

Smithian

Quote from: B.G. on January 06, 2011, 11:11:35 pm
Quote from: Uncle Ivan on January 06, 2011, 11:09:27 pm

Hey you.  This isn't Jump Ball.
I'm done with Jump Ball. It turned into heck yesterday. The whole board is just haters bumping up old, positive threads and ridiculing people.

They finally won. Myself, HawgAdvocate, Breems, and thirtythree are done. They can have their Fire Pelphrey pep rallies with no disruption.

HorseFeathers

Hogs are up 7 on tennessee early in the second half...

AT

Our offense is looking pretty good in the 2nd half

Romeo

Good defense on that last possession. Hogs win it.

AT

Thats a big, big win. I am pretty confident we can get wins against the SEC West, but we need to salvage every win against the East that we can get.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Indiana Jones on January 05, 2011, 12:00:54 am
79-46 Whorns won

at least we know the football team is in good hands

the SEc sucks in hoops and yet we'll probably go 4-12
didn't watch the game...but tenn 65 arkansas 68..so the hogs are 1/4th of the way to meeting at least ur expectations

Brian G

Great win for the Hogs vs. Tenn.  Always nice to start conference 1-0.

Smithian

Quote from: B.G. on January 09, 2011, 12:07:47 pm
Did you go to the game yesterday BG?

Brian G

Quote from: Smithian on January 09, 2011, 02:19:55 pm
Quote from: B.G. on January 09, 2011, 12:07:47 pm
Did you go to the game yesterday BG?
I did not.  I had no excuse either as I had tickets offered.

fastdrop

basketball..... Maybe the Hogs and other southern colleges could turn their basketball arenas into Hockey stadiums... I think I could get into that!

Romeo

Arkansas vs LSU tonight at 7:00pm on SEC network. We've lost 9 out of the last 11 games in Baton Rouge.

AB™

Pelphrey may have kept the Pel haters at bay with the win at Tennessee, but if Arkansas loses tonight, they'll be back and as loud as ever.  If you want to win the West this year, you have to sweep Auburn and LSU. 

Smithian

QuoteThe text arrived two days after Halloween, well before Billy Donovan got to the cemetery.

"Thinking of you," it read.

For almost a decade, it's never failed. Every year, on Nov. 2, Arkansas coach John Pelphrey – along with Alabama's Anthony Grant - have reached out to their former boss at Florida. A phone call, an e-mail, a card or text. Just something to remind Donovan how much they care. And how they can relate.

"No staff," Grant says, "has ever experienced what we experienced. What happened with all of us ... I wouldn't wish that on anybody."
http://www.thepostgame.com/features/201101/billy-donovans-secret-sorrow

redwolf143

Quote from: Smithian on January 12, 2011, 11:12:31 am
QuoteThe text arrived two days after Halloween, well before Billy Donovan got to the cemetery.

"Thinking of you," it read.

For almost a decade, it's never failed. Every year, on Nov. 2, Arkansas coach John Pelphrey – along with Alabama's Anthony Grant - have reached out to their former boss at Florida. A phone call, an e-mail, a card or text. Just something to remind Donovan how much they care. And how they can relate.

"No staff," Grant says, "has ever experienced what we experienced. What happened with all of us ... I wouldn't wish that on anybody."
http://www.thepostgame.com/features/201101/billy-donovans-secret-sorrow

I couldn't finish that.  I had to stop and close the page because it was too hard to read.

AirWarren

Same here. Being a father, I couldn't even imagine.

Romeo

Wow, I didn't realize I wasn't the only one who couldn't read that.

Romeo

Looks like the Fire Pel talk will be coming back after this game unless the hogs can get going in the shooting department. LSU leads at halftime 31-17.

Indiana Jones

Woo hoo
another close loss
At least the moral victory crowd is happy

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: Smithian on January 07, 2011, 06:11:10 pm
They can have their Fire Pelphrey pep rallies with no disruption.

Hehe

InYoGrill

2-20 or so from the 3 mark? Kinda like a 5% chance to survive cancer. Not good odds their Pel.

AirWarren

All you sideline coaches, what do you suggest we do? I'm a Pel supporter and I like the guy. I'm not happy with losing and not being a top teir program but what do you folks suggest we do? I don't want an answer that consists of "we have the facilities to get a big name coach or the tradition" answer. We had the same tradition and facilities when Coach Pel was hired and stan was fired. What makes you think we can land someone and who is this someone since everyone out there is a Pel hater and better coach than him.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas