• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best overall sports school

Started by Warhawkpa80, June 28, 2017, 08:07:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Warhawkpa80

After some time to reflect, I realized Mve has the best sports program top to bottom. Look at this year. Boys basketball ranked top 6 at times this year, yes disappointing end to the season. Baseball state semis. Girls basketball state semis. Softball state tournament appearance. Golf and track both competitive. May start calling it title town. Any thoughts on who might rival these accomplishments?

BasketballNeverStops

Quote from: Warhawkpa80 on June 28, 2017, 08:07:48 pm
After some time to reflect, I realized Mve has the best sports program top to bottom. Look at this year. Boys basketball ranked top 6 at times this year, yes disappointing end to the season. Baseball state semis. Girls basketball state semis. Softball state tournament appearance. Golf and track both competitive. May start calling it title town. Any thoughts on who might rival these accomplishments?
You guys did have a fantastic year in athletics and I expect y'all to be right back in the hunt. Concord has seen success in golf, basketball, softball and baseball since the turn of the decade. Won four state titles in boys golf in 2012, 2014, 2015, and 2016, won state in boys basketball in 2014 after state runner-up finish in 2013, girls basketball just came off first trip and win in school history in state tournament, and softball has made two historic runs to the state finals in 2015-2016 with an Elite Eight finish in 2017, and baseball has made back-to-back trips to state (2016-17) after about a ten-year dry spell.

AirItOut21

Quote from: Warhawkpa80 on June 28, 2017, 08:07:48 pm

You have to win titles to be in consideration to be "Title Town"

Warhawkpa80

BasketballNeverStops

Quote from: Warhawkpa80 on June 30, 2017, 10:12:38 pm
We got titles airball.
1995 Baseball and 2012 Girls Golf right Warhawk?

AirItOut21

Quote from: BasketballNeverStops on June 30, 2017, 11:35:53 pm
1995 Baseball and 2012 Girls Golf right Warhawk?

LOL wow... are we supposed to be impressed? That is a real title town right there

NWA Hawg

July 01, 2017, 12:13:37 am #6 Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 12:18:42 am by fann07
I actually ranked all teams in 1A this year much like the colleges do for their capital one cup. The scoring was as follows
Football (since there are a couple teams considered 1a that have football), Men's and Women's Basketball, Baseball, and Softball
          State Champs: 30, State Runner up: 20, Qrts:10, 3rd round:6, 2nd round:4, 1st round:2
Boys and Girls Tennis, Track, Bowling, Soccer, Cross Country, Volleyball, and Golf
           10, 8, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 based on finish in state

Top ten:
1. Taylor (56 pts): Softball State Champs (30), Baseball State Runner-up (20), 3rd place Women's Golf (6)
2. Mount Ida (49 pts): Football State Champs (30), 4th place men's track (5), Softball
Quarterfinalist (10), 5th place Women's Track (4)     
3. Shirley (44 pts): Men's Basketball State Runner-up (20), Baseball 2nd round (4), Men's Tennis 7th place (2), Men's Golf 5th Place (4), Softball 2nd Round (4), Women's Tennis 7th place (2), Women's Golf State Runner-up (8)   
4. Hampton (41 pts): Football State Runner-up (20), Men's Basketball 2nd Round (4), Men's Tennis 4th Place (5), Men's Track 5th Place (4), Softball 1st round (2), Women's Tennis 4th place (5), Cross Country 8th Place (1)   
T5. Bay (40 pts): Men's Basketball 2nd round (4); Baseball 3rd round (6), Women's Basketball State Champs (30)
T5 Woodlawn (40 pts): Baseball State Champs (30), Softball 3rd Round (6), Women's Cross Country 5th Place (4)
7. Scranton (37 pts): Baseball 2nd Round (4), Men's Golf 3rd place (6), W Basketball 1st Round (2), Softball State Runner Up (20), W. Golf 4th Place (5)
8. Izard County (34 pts): M. Basketball Qrts (10), M. Golf State Runner Up (8), M. Bowling State Runner Up (8), W. Basketball 2nd Round (4), Softball 2nd Round (4)
9. Guy Perkins (30 pts): Men's Basketball State Champs (30)
10. Mount Vernon (29 pts): Baseball Qrts (10), M. Golf 6th Place (3), W. Basketball Qrts (10), Softball 3rd round (6)

groundgame

Based on your scoring Decatur would have 50 pts with state championship in girls track and state r-up in boys track

JimmyChitwood

I have to vote for Rural Special. Fox is titletown.

NWA Hawg

Quote from: groundgame on July 01, 2017, 06:05:31 am
Based on your scoring Decatur would have 50 pts with state championship in girls track and state r-up in boys track

Actually Decatur had 22 pts. 8 for B. track state runner up, 4 for softtball 2nd round, and 10 for G. track state champs.
Track does not get the same amount of points as football, basketball, and softball/baseball due to popularity. Track is considered a Group A sport in the Capital One College scoring system which means it receives a third of the scoring Group B sports like football, basketball, and baseball/softball do. 

no mascot

It is really impressive that you put all this together! Kudos to you!

Warhawkpa80

That is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. That literally does not fit best overall sports school when guy gets on the list with boys basketball only. All other sports are trash.

NWA Hawg

July 01, 2017, 09:50:16 pm #12 Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 09:56:14 pm by fann07
Quote from: Warhawkpa80 on July 01, 2017, 09:38:24 pm
That is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. That literally does not fit best overall sports school when guy gets on the list with boys basketball only. All other sports are trash.

They won a state championship, did y'all? Plus they are ninth on the list. What about the other 8. Look at MVE's accomplishments this season and look at others like Shirley. There's no way MVE has the best overall sports school.

NWA Hawg

July 01, 2017, 09:53:56 pm #13 Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 09:56:51 pm by fann07
Quote from: Warhawkpa80 on July 01, 2017, 09:38:24 pm

BYW, The fact that you think MVE has the best overall sports program when only 4 sports made or placed in a state tournament and others had 7 to 8 teams place is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Just saying.

Robert_Dorfenshootze

Quote from: fann07 on July 01, 2017, 09:53:56 pm
BYW, The fact that you think MVE has the best overall sports program when only 4 sports made or placed in a state tournament and others had 7 to 8 teams place is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Just saying.

Interesting you point that out since you have the school in 1st place with only 3 athletic teams accomplishing anything....hmmmm

Warhawkpa80

Well u have to throw football schools out. That is an extra sport that some schools don't waste money on. Just looking at some of the other schools listed. Shirley gets credit for 7th place tennis finish. That is just rich. So by your justification compete in as many sports as possible to get more points.

Bigleague

NWA Hawg

Quote from: Warhawkpa80 on July 01, 2017, 10:09:36 pm
Well u have to throw football schools out. That is an extra sport that some schools don't waste money on. Just looking at some of the other schools listed. Shirley gets credit for 7th place tennis finish. That is just rich. So by your justification compete in as many sports as possible to get more points.

Ugh thats kinda the point of being an overall sports school. Placing in the most sports as possible. Also you can't just throw out football because you don't play it. Some schools don't play golf and even baseball but yall got credit for it. First you claim Guy shouldn't be listed because they only won in one sport and then you complain because other school compete in to many. Tell me Goldilocks, how many sports is juussssttt right. If we just look at the main sport that all 1a schools have in boy's basketball, your team didn't even make the state tournament which took more teams this year then it has in a long time. But yall the best overall sports school???? Yeah right. Whatever you have to tell yourself.   

Robert_Dorfenshootze

Quote from: fann07 on July 01, 2017, 10:17:19 pm
Ugh thats kinda the point of being an overall sports school. Placing in the most sports as possible. Also you can't just throw out football because you don't play it. Some schools don't play golf and even baseball but yall got credit for it. First you claim Guy shouldn't be listed because they only won in one sport and then you complain because other school compete in to many. Tell me Goldilocks, how many sports is juussssttt right. If we just look at the main sport that all 1a schools have in boy's basketball, your team didn't even make the state tournament which took more teams this year then it has in a long time. But yall the best overall sports school???? Yeah right. Whatever you have to tell yourself.

I dunno about this other guy, but I'm trying to agree with you that you need to compete in a lot of sports well....if that's the case how can your 1st place team only have 3 relevant teams, when like YOU said, some have 7 or 8? Unless you're from Taylor...which is probably possible.

Warhawkpa80

No, football can have their own rankings. I just find it funny that just because you have a sport and suck at it you get points. What accomplishment is that? Not to mention I could go through here and talk about the reason some of these teams made state tournaments. Ex. Weak regions. You are correct about boys basketball, what you left out was Mve played in the toughest conference/region.

NWA Hawg

Quote from: Robert_Dorfenshootze on July 01, 2017, 10:19:41 pm
I dunno about this other guy, but I'm trying to agree with you that you need to compete in a lot of sports well....if that's the case how can your 1st place team only have 3 relevant teams, when like YOU said, some have 7 or 8? Unless you're from Taylor...which is probably possible.

I am not from Taylor and have never been there. I simply went as close as I could to the capital one cup rules for colleges and this is the way it came out. When you win a state title in one of the 4 major sports most 1a teams have and get state runner up in another you are bound to be high on the list. I would think that would be pretty obvious. 

Robert_Dorfenshootze

Quote from: fann07 on July 01, 2017, 10:26:38 pm
I am not from Taylor and have never been there. I simply went as close as I could to the capital one cup rules for colleges and this is the way it came out. When you win a state title in one of the 4 major sports most 1a teams have and get state runner up in another you are bound to be high on the list. I would think that would be pretty obvious.

Gonna have to help me out here...because what's obvious to me is that you've made the argument against only having 4 teams relevant (talking about Mt Vernon) but then use a ranking system that ranks a school with less than that at no. 1. So you've argued with yourself, seems to me

Robert_Dorfenshootze

Quote from: Warhawkpa80 on July 01, 2017, 10:22:46 pm
No, football can have their own rankings. I just find it funny that just because you have a sport and suck at it you get points. What accomplishment is that? Not to mention I could go through here and talk about the reason some of these teams made state tournaments. Ex. Weak regions. You are correct about boys basketball, what you left out was Mve played in the toughest conference/region.

Tough regional only matters if you make regionals.

NWA Hawg

Quote from: Warhawkpa80 on July 01, 2017, 10:22:46 pm

I wouldn't say you suck at a sport if you finish in the top 10 in the state in it. Plus that is the reason these smaller, less popular sports get less points for their finishes. BTW if we are talking weak competition, what about your state baseball competition. You finished 3rd in your region and got a lucky draw to make it to the state semis in baseball. I didn't penalize yall for drawing a 1 seed in lead hill in the baseball state tournament. 

NWA Hawg

Quote from: Robert_Dorfenshootze on July 01, 2017, 10:30:50 pm
Gonna have to help me out here...because what's obvious to me is that you've made the argument against only having 4 teams relevant (talking about Mt Vernon) but then use a ranking system that ranks a school with less than that at no. 1. So you've argued with yourself, seems to me

MVE only had 4 teams that placed in the state tournament with no one getting past the semis. Taylor had a state champ and a state runner up in the major sports. Being average in several sports don't make you better than being great in a couple. But being average in several sports does beat being average in 4.

Warhawkpa80

I wish you would pick a side and stick to it. The problem with your argument is that capital one rules are not applicable to 1a athletics for numerous reasons. Going back to weak competition. Pretty sure Mve gave Taylor all they wanted in the semis. Could have went either way.

NWA Hawg

Quote from: Warhawkpa80 on July 01, 2017, 11:18:34 pm
I wish you would pick a side and stick to it. The problem with your argument is that capital one rules are not applicable to 1a athletics for numerous reasons. Going back to weak competition. Pretty sure Mve gave Taylor all they wanted in the semis. Could have went either way.

Doesn't really matter if you give someone all they wanted. You have to win. Can you explain a system that would explain your reasoning of MVE being the best overall sports program.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: fann07 on July 01, 2017, 11:25:47 pm
Doesn't really matter if you give someone all they wanted. You have to win. Can you explain a system that would explain your reasoning of MVE being the best overall sports program.

Personal Homer opinion

Warhawkpa80

I was just pointing out that you said the competition was weak because they could have easily been in the finals of baseball. Like I said there is no ranking system that can e used that would be applicable to 1a athletics. However, I would think you would need to finish in the top three of the smaller sports to recieve credit. Just being there competing does not justify success. Sometimes the numbers are misleading.

AirItOut21

How are y'all even taking warhawkpa80 seriously? Lol this is the same guy that said in his first post of the thread that MVE should be called title town (with no titles) LOL

beach bum

Quote from: groundgame on July 01, 2017, 06:05:31 am

Decatur was runner up in boys track?? How are they not any better in other sports with that much apparent speed roaming the hallways? That is pretty impressive if they were runner up. I am not saying cause you're good in track means you should be good in football but at some point raw athleticism can takeover especially at the 1A and 2A level.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: AirItOut21 on July 02, 2017, 03:24:24 pm
How are y'all even taking warhawkpa80 seriously? Lol this is the same guy that said in his first post of the thread that MVE should be called title town (with no titles) LOL
they won in baseball in 1995!!

HorseFeathers

Quote from: beach bum on July 02, 2017, 03:27:10 pm
Decatur was runner up in boys track?? How are they not any better in other sports with that much apparent speed roaming the hallways? That is pretty impressive if they were runner up. I am not saying cause you're good in track means you should be good in football but at some point raw athleticism can takeover especially at the 1A and 2A level.

No coaches hang around long enough to develop anything...

RATTLER43

Dem-Gaz does one for each classification each year (at least they used to). Treats all sports equally (which is as it should be to determine best athletic program).   Always was an enjoyable read. 

beach bum

Quote from: HorseFeathers on July 02, 2017, 05:08:27 pm
No coaches hang around long enough to develop anything...

Very very true....

beach bum

Quote from: RATTLER43 on July 02, 2017, 09:25:03 pm
Dem-Gaz does one for each classification each year (at least they used to). Treats all sports equally (which is as it should be to determine best athletic program).   Always was an enjoyable read.

I always look forward to that myself. And I totally agree that all should be counted equally when tallying best athletic programs.

NWA Hawg

Quote from: RATTLER43 on July 02, 2017, 09:25:03 pm

So if we treat every sport equally, a school that won a start title in tennis and bowling is just as good of a program as a school with a state title in basketball and baseball? I just can't agree to that.

RATTLER43

Yes. Why not? Tennis athletes are very athletic, skilled, and hard-working. One of my best friends played tennis in college. 6'4" and a great basketball and track athlete as well.  I know too little about bowling to speak to it.  But this is a tally of all sports.  Be great at the ones you deem important and overcome those two.     When I've looked over the winners each year, I've typically agreed that they were best. 

RATTLER43

July 02, 2017, 09:53:28 pm #38 Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 11:19:09 pm by RATTLER43

beach bum

Quote from: RATTLER43 on July 02, 2017, 09:41:35 pm
Yes. Why not? Tennis athletes are very athletic, skilled, and hard-working. One of my best friends played tennis in college. 6'4" and a great basketball and track athlete as well.  I know too little about bowling to speak to it.  But this is a tally of all sports.  Be great at the ones you deem important and overcome those two.     When I've looked over the winners each year, I've typically agreed that they were best.

+1

Warhawkpa80

Don't forget our girls golf title banner woman. Btw have you ever won anything?

Moonshiner

Quote from: fann07 on July 01, 2017, 10:17:19 pm

Class A schools do not play football, therefore football cannot be included in the figures.  Judge it on the sports they compete at in class A.  If a class A school doesn't field a baseball or Tennis team then that's their prerogative.

NWA Hawg

Quote from: Moonshiner on July 03, 2017, 08:39:40 pm
Class A schools do not play football, therefore football cannot be included in the figures.  Judge it on the sports they compete at in class A.  If a class A school doesn't field a baseball or Tennis team then that's their prerogative.

Some class A schools do participate in football. The state champion mount Ida and state runner up Hampton are both 1a schools. Mineral springs, Decatur, strong, dierks, woodlawn, Marvell, and maybe a few more. They only play 2a football because that is the lowest classification. Just like some 1a schools play 3a volleyball. Even schools that play tennis that you mentioned play at the 2a level. No longer are you defined as a 2a school just because you have a football team. That went out with the new classification system. Football participation has nothing to do with your classification now. Therefore if a school doesn't play football, that's thier prerogative, but it should still count for the schools that do.

Moonshiner

Quote from: fann07 on July 03, 2017, 09:17:56 pm
Some class A schools do participate in football. The state champion mount Ida and state runner up Hampton are both 1a schools. Mineral springs, Decatur, strong, dierks, woodlawn, Marvell, and maybe a few more. They only play 2a football because that is the lowest classification. Just like some 1a schools play 3a volleyball. Even schools that play tennis that you mentioned play at the 2a level. No longer are you defined as a 2a school just because you have a football team. That went out with the new classification system. Football participation has nothing to do with your classification now. Therefore if a school doesn't play football, that's thier prerogative, but it should still count for the schools that do.

Your opinion I guess.  I disagree though.  Not a level playing field. 

NWA Hawg

Quote from: Moonshiner on July 03, 2017, 10:29:33 pm
Your opinion I guess.  I disagree though.  Not a level playing field.

It's my opinion that they should be counted in thier overall points for the program but it's a fact that some 1a schools play football. I don't consider Alpena a 3a school just because they play volleyball at that level. Schools like mineral springs and strong are around the middle of the pack in 1a enrollment and play in 1a in every sport. Doesn't seem fair that becuase they Choose to field a football team while others don't, their success or lack there of should not be considered in thier overall sports program.

Moonshiner

July 04, 2017, 04:13:25 am #45 Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 04:14:59 am by Moonshiner
Quote from: fann07 on July 03, 2017, 11:09:54 pm
It's my opinion that they should be counted in thier overall points for the program but it's a fact that some 1a schools play football. I don't consider Alpena a 3a school just because they play volleyball at that level. Schools like mineral springs and strong are around the middle of the pack in 1a enrollment and play in 1a in every sport. Doesn't seem fair that becuase they Choose to field a football team while others don't, their success or lack there of should not be considered in thier overall sports program.

Alpena is an A classified school in every sport.  Even volleyball.  The AAA puts A through 3A together in volleyball and A/2A together in cross country.  There are A schools that play 2A football.  There is no A and 2A put together in football. Up until this year those same schools you've mentioned had to compete in class 2 in all sports.  Now they compete in 2A for football and A for basketball.  Therefore football cannot be counted.  It's not the same.  I see what you're saying, but I don't agree with it. 

NWA Hawg

Quote from: Moonshiner on July 04, 2017, 04:13:25 am
Alpena is an A classified school in every sport.  Even volleyball.  The AAA puts A through 3A together in volleyball and A/2A together in cross country.  There are A schools that play 2A football.  There is no A and 2A put together in football. Up until this year those same schools you've mentioned had to compete in class 2 in all sports.  Now they compete in 2A for football and A for basketball.  Therefore football cannot be counted.  It's not the same.  I see what you're saying, but I don't agree with it.

You seemed to just made my point but we will agree to disagree.

Central Ark

Even though you make good points, you won't ever get 1a posters to accept these football schools into 1a

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Moonshiner on July 04, 2017, 04:13:25 am

You just basically made the argument for him about football....1a and 2a are combined for that lowest class just like every other sport you mentioned

no mascot

I think they're right shiner but that's ok we still love you.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas