• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Someone explain Hootens

Started by WCD, August 18, 2015, 03:52:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WCD

In their conference Charleston is rated behind Lamar. In the overall 3A Charleston is ranked higher than Lamar!!!

Doesn't make any sense!!!!!!!!

WCD ;D

hawgfan15

The conference predictions are done by the coaches. Hootens just ranks the overall classification

BigLion10

You see that quiet about actually

Lions84

Jimbo Morphis

chucktownboys

Not surprised, Lamar hasn't done anything in the playoffs to warrant statewide high expectations, Lamar has potential again to be very good but need to win earn statewide respect

Proud Buckaroo

Smackover has been in the same position for years. No matter the success they had. Hooten's never really gave them any respect. I'm glad to see that the recent success has changed that. If Lamar can finally beat Chucktown. They will earn that state wide respect.

-Painted Fan-

Atkins beat Charleston in 2012.
Mansfield beat Charleston in 2010.
Lavaca beat Charleston back-2-back in 2005 and 2006 (and the Tigers were State Champs in 2005).
Someone please remind me again what those wins did for the program, other than adding a W in the win column.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: -Painted Fan- on August 19, 2015, 09:24:54 pm
Atkins beat Charleston in 2012.
Mansfield beat Charleston in 2010.
Lavaca beat Charleston back-2-back in 2005 and 2006 (and the Tigers were State Champs in 2005).
Someone please remind me again what those wins did for the program, other than adding a W in the win column.

Atkins crashed and burnt...think they kinda forced long time coach Charlie sorrels out after the next year(coach Cody was first head coach not a sorrels to walk the sidelines at Atkins in fifty years I believe)

Mansfield was becoming a decent to solid program before running coach gill off...

Lavaca has been up and down for a while haven't they?

Anyway, we all know that only ranking matters it's the trophy at the end of the year

Proud Buckaroo

Atkins rankings Week 5 before beating Charleston:
http://www.hootens.com/class-3a-week-5-2012_5432_ct.aspx

After:
http://www.hootens.com/class-3a-week-6-2012_5438_ct.aspx

Atkins final record: 5-5.
Total record since then:  12-10.

Mansfield before:
http://www.hootens.com/class-3a-week-10-2010_5267_ct.aspx

After:
http://www.hootens.com/class-3a-week-11-2010_5273_ct.aspx

Mansfield final record: 10-3.
Total Record since then: 16-28

Proud Buckaroo

Hooten's website doesn't go back to 2005-2006.

But... Lavaca has been up and down since then.

Lineman

It takes more than beating Charleston to earn statewide respect. You need conference championships, deep runs in the playoffs, & a few rings never hurts. But these thing need to happen year in and year out. Don't have a couple of good years every decade or so & expect everyone to notice you. I'm not trying to disrespect anyone, the cream definitely rises to the top. Question is how long will you stay there?  Three years or 25+.

HorseFeathers

Pb, I'm to lazy to look when did Atkins go 0-10? Before or after the year they beat Charleston?

Anyway lineman..what's the playoff streak at now? 27 years isn't it?

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: HF on August 19, 2015, 09:48:55 pm
Pb, I'm to lazy to look when did Atkins go 0-10? Before or after the year they beat Charleston?

Anyway lineman..what's the playoff streak at now? 27 years isn't it?

2010 is when they went 0-10.

HorseFeathers

Dang...already been five years since sorrels stepped down....and I was three years off on my timeline then...

Lineman

Something like that. I'm sure somebody has that # off the top of their head. I'm not much of a numbers guy. Just a dumb ol truck driver.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Lineman on August 19, 2015, 09:54:33 pm
Something like that. I'm sure somebody has that # off the top of their head. I'm not much of a numbers guy. Just a dumb ol truck driver.

87 or 88 it's when the streak started I believe...

I'll leave the truck driver part alone.... my dad, two uncles, and a few cousins are/were drivers....so mucho respect to the guys and gals in the big rigs

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: Lineman on August 19, 2015, 09:44:25 pm
It takes more than beating Charleston to earn statewide respect. You need conference championships, deep runs in the playoffs, & a few rings never hurts. But these thing need to happen year in and year out. Don't have a couple of good years every decade or so & expect everyone to notice you. I'm not trying to disrespect anyone, the cream definitely rises to the top. Question is how long will you stay there?  Three years or 25+.

Not trying to twist your words... But, do you think Smackover has gained statewide respect?

Lineman

IMHO they're pretty much there. The real question is are they going to maintain this level of success or are they going to drop off after a few years?  Can the program survive a coaching change?  Things only time will tell, but as of right now they should be earning statewide respect. Can they keep it? 

Coltfan2005

Smackover has had two really good years in a row. But have had losing seasons 8 out of the last 14 years. I'm noy sure that two years has earned them statewide respect. Not to the level you are talking of. a few more seasons like this and everyone will be noticing.

Lineman

I believe they're headed down the right path. Can they continue? 

Proud Buckaroo

2005 was one of the first really good seasons in a while. They went 12-1. 2008 they went 9-4. I think they have done pretty well since 2011. 8-4 Record getting to the second round of the playoffs. Lost to Earle. 2012 they went 7-4. Pushing eventual State champion Harding. Which Smackover was the only one who ever gave Harding fits that year until the state championship game. 2013 they went 12-2. Last year they went 13-2. Losing to 2A champion, and losing by one touchdown to Charleston. They are heading in the right direction, and I hope they can continue this success. In my opinion, Smackover has gained statewide respect. Especially with the way they played the game last year.

Longfellow

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on August 20, 2015, 05:32:00 am
2005 was one of the first really good seasons in a while. They went 12-1. 2008 they went 9-4. I think they have done pretty well since 2011. 8-4 Record getting to the second round of the playoffs. Lost to Earle. 2012 they went 7-4. Pushing eventual State champion Harding. Which Smackover was the only one who ever gave Harding fits that year until the state championship game. 2013 they went 12-2. Last year they went 13-2. Losing to 2A champion, and losing by one touchdown to Charleston. They are heading in the right direction, and I hope they can continue this success. In my opinion, Smackover has gained statewide respect. Especially with the way they played the game last year.
Smackover gained a lot of respect after that game. Nobody gave them a chance. And that game was lost on the very last play. I think they've opened some eyes, but now they have to capitalize on it

Jimbo Morphis

how good wil smackover be after this year?

PrivateLesson

Jimbo Morphis

Jimbo Morphis

PrivateLesson

lol!  I thought maybe you were still asleep since you were asking about smackover.   

adaptedtigerfan

Oldman does dream about #smackover but I mean, who doesn't? 

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: PrivateLesson on August 20, 2015, 09:07:10 am
lol!  I thought maybe you were still asleep since you were asking about smackover.   
just curious how good pb thinks smackover will be when this great crop of athletes is gone after this year. they will lose a lot of talent and buckfever.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Oldman on August 20, 2015, 08:46:34 am
how good wil smackover be after this year?

Pb seems to be high on a sophomore running back that they have....gotta imagine part of those lineman he mentioned on another thread will be aroun
Quote from: Oldman on August 20, 2015, 09:11:06 am
just curious how good pb thinks smackover will be when this great crop of athletes is gone after this year. they will lose a lot of talent and buckfever.

How dare you try to have a mature conversation about football on the 3a board...

bigcat72

Baring injury, I think everything lines up as good as it could for Lamar to have a very good year. I think they can gain some respect if they can beat a Booneville or Charleston. That said, the next 2 years after this one the talent level will not be close to what they have had over the past 3 years. It's been a good run and I feel Lamar will be back in a few years but some of the posters are saying Lamar will take over the conference and I do not feel that will be the case.

Hawgeye

Quote from: Oldman on August 20, 2015, 09:11:06 am

You've got to think Smackover can sustain success a little easier now than in years past.

Smackover has usually been a contender in whatever conference they were affiliated. Winning conference titles and all. Now, they draw students from over 1/4 of Union County since they have taken in Norphlet. They took in Mount Holly a few years back, correct?

So now the Smackover district stretches the entire northern border of Union County. From Mount Holly all the way over to Calion(just south of Hampton). Should be easier to sustain success for them going forward.

I assume anyway. I'm not sure what their numbers are this year. I would imagine in the 40's?

Proud Buckaroo

Smackover has 51 kids this year.

Hawgeye

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on August 20, 2015, 12:17:49 pm

That's quite a few for a 3A school.

If those numbers stay up, they should be solid for a while.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Hawgeye on August 20, 2015, 01:22:45 pm

or move to 4a.

Hawgeye

Quote from: Oldman on August 20, 2015, 01:26:49 pm

or move to 4a.

True. But the updated classifications has Smackover still 3A, correct?

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Hawgeye on August 20, 2015, 01:31:09 pm
Quote from: Oldman on August 20, 2015, 01:26:49 pm

or move to 4a.

True. But the updated classifications has Smackover still 3A, correct?
yes

PrivateLesson

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: PrivateLesson on August 20, 2015, 02:22:27 pm
Who's Hootens? 
they are a chain that has good looking girls that bring you sandwiches and chicken wings.

PrivateLesson

Quote from: Oldman on August 20, 2015, 02:24:41 pm
Quote from: PrivateLesson on August 20, 2015, 02:22:27 pm
Who's Hootens? 
they are a chain that has good looking girls that bring you sandwiches and chicken wings.
LOL!  :)

-Painted Fan-

Lavaca won @ Charleston in 2005 10-7. The Arrows lost to Greenland, causing a 3-way tie for 1st place in conference. They lost to Perryville in the 1st round and finished 8-2.
In 2006, the Arrows won again @ Charleston 22-21 (the reason For 2 games in consecutive years @ Charleston is because 2006 started a new cycle. Charleston played @ Lavaca in 2009 and 2010 for the same reason). The Arrows won the conference outright, but lost to West Fork in the 2nd round after a 1st round bye, and finished 9-2.
2007- 9-4 record and tie for 2nd place. Lost in quarter-finals.
2008- 9-5 record and 2nd place. Lost to Fountain Lake in the semi-finals 70-0.
2009- 7-5 and 3rd place. Beat Mayflower in 1st round before losing @ Prescott.
2010,2011, and 2012- finished 2-8 3 years in a row.
2013- 7-5 record and 3rd place tie in conference. Lost to Lamar by 4 and Paris by 7. Beat Osceola in the 1st round before losing to Glen Rose.
2014- 6-5 record 5th place. Lost to Prescott.
So, from 2006 to 2014, Lavaca has a 53-50 record, and is 7-5 in the playoffs.

RDP96

Coach sorrels left after the 2010.  And in 2012 after beating charleston Atkins lost 7 starts from offense and defense.  That's why they went down hill.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: RDP96 on August 20, 2015, 06:39:39 pm
Coach sorrels left after the 2010.  And in 2012 after beating charleston Atkins lost 7 starts from offense and defense.  That's why they went down hill.

Yeah I had my timeline all confused on that....doesn't seem like it was that long ago

Lions84

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Lions84 on August 25, 2015, 11:07:07 am
Quote from: Oldman on August 19, 2015, 01:49:54 pm
Quote from: Lions84 on August 19, 2015, 01:29:21 pm
WOW
wow what?

Hooten rarely makes sense.
.conference predictions are voted on by coaches. then hootens makes their picks. example coaches could pick glen rose #1 in conference and hootens could have them ranked behind ecs in the 3a poll.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: Oldman on August 26, 2015, 08:47:55 am
WOW
wow what?

.conference predictions are voted on by coaches. then hootens makes their picks. example coaches could pick glen rose #1 in conference and hootens could have them ranked behind ecs in the 3a poll.

Don't we have to explain this every year?  ::)

HorseFeathers

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on August 26, 2015, 08:54:28 am
Quote from: Oldman on August 26, 2015, 08:47:55 am
WOW
wow what?

Don't we have to explain this every year?  ::)

To the same people...

Lineman

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas