• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

two a days

Started by lorettalynn, August 06, 2015, 09:49:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lorettalynn

i was told that the AAA does allow this any more. does anyone know why

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: lorettalynn on August 06, 2015, 09:49:08 am
i was told that the AAA does allow this any more. does anyone know why

They are allowed.  There are just strict rules in how you can do them.  The days of 3 straight weeks of 2 a days and some 3 a days are long gone.

macadoshis

There's new regulations because of the heat and all the heat illness players suffered in the past.

owl84

It's funny when we played we had 2 weeks of two a days and we never had people pass out.  Someone would puke every now and then but that was it.

Proud Buckaroo

Yeah, but that was different then. Times have changed, rules have changed. There has been so many kids these days pass away with heat related injuries. Back then Owl, there wasn't kids drinking Monsters, Redbulls or whatever they could get energy from. That is what a lot of these issues now arise from.

macadoshis

There wasn't the education that we have today.  I agree the energy drinks are very bad for our athletes.  And the heat and humidity regulations also help keep them safe.  Knowing what to do if a player goes down to a heat related illness.

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: macadoshis on August 06, 2015, 12:49:33 pm
There wasn't the education that we have today.  I agree the energy drinks are very bad for our athletes.  And the heat and humidity regulations also help keep them safe.  Knowing what to do if a player goes down to a heat related illness.

Very true.  The sad part is it is all from the lack of labor/activity kids have in this day and time.

macadoshis

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on August 06, 2015, 01:31:43 pm

Very true.  The sad part is it is all from the lack of labor/activity kids have in this day and time.
I agree in most circumstances that could possibly be the case. I see it alot around here. But in Tylers case, he was in the best shape of his life.  He had been out in the heat all summer conditioning.  He was used to the heat.  He practiced hard that whole morning.  Finished in the top few players in all the sprints. Practice was over and he was walking back to the fieldhouse when he collapsed.  It was a hot morning.  High humidity.  They had plenty of water breaks and he was not dehydrated when he reached the hospital.  His core body temp was 108 degrees.  We just didnt have the education we have now.  Something as simple as putting him in the ice bath immediately and he'd still be here today to watch his brother play. 
We fought hard to change legislation and continue to work with the AAA today.  Parents and coaches were mad at us for doing so.  But i dont care.  I dont want any parent to have to sit in a hospital for 62 days and watch their child slowly lose his life.  They can just be mad.

Jimbo Morphis

August 06, 2015, 02:16:49 pm #8 Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 02:19:12 pm by Oldman
Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on August 06, 2015, 12:37:56 pm
Yeah, but that was different then. Times have changed, rules have changed. There has been so many kids these days pass away with heat related injuries. Back then Owl, there wasn't kids drinking Monsters, Redbulls or whatever they could get energy from. That is what a lot of these issues now arise from.

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: macadoshis on August 06, 2015, 01:57:59 pm

I agree in most circumstances that could possibly be the case. I see it alot around here. But in Tylers case, he was in the best shape of his life.  He had been out in the heat all summer conditioning.  He was used to the heat.  He practiced hard that whole morning.  Finished in the top few players in all the sprints. Practice was over and he was walking back to the fieldhouse when he collapsed.  It was a hot morning.  High humidity.  They had plenty of water breaks and he was not dehydrated when he reached the hospital.  His core body temp was 108 degrees.  We just didnt have the education we have now.  Something as simple as putting him in the ice bath immediately and he'd still be here today to watch his brother play. 
We fought hard to change legislation and continue to work with the AAA today.  Parents and coaches were mad at us for doing so.  But i dont care.  I dont want any parent to have to sit in a hospital for 62 days and watch their child slowly lose his life.  They can just be mad.

I understand completely and you by no means have to explain yourself.  I can't even imagine going through that with one of my four kids.  The general diet of kids these days plays a huge role in it as well.  Heat can take down the most athletic/gifted/in shape athletes out there if just one thing is done wrong. Heat doesnt care how tough you are.  Prevention and education on the short time frame you have to react after is what needs to be stressed.  Shortening the amount/time of physical activity goes against the grain on what needs to be done in our society.

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: Oldman on August 06, 2015, 02:16:49 pm
we were never ever in the house unless we were sick. heat didn't bother us because we were in it all day. like the kids it would kill me now. my house stays 69 degrees year round.

Age a little more and let that blood thin out and that thermostat will be at 75, then 80 and you will have a quilt on!!

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on August 06, 2015, 02:17:53 pm
we were never ever in the house unless we were sick. heat didn't bother us because we were in it all day. like the kids it would kill me now. my house stays 69 degrees year round.

Age a little more and let that blood thin out and that thermostat will be at 75, then 80 and you will have a quilt on!!
i'm 50 now.

JC Guy

Quote from: macadoshis on August 06, 2015, 01:57:59 pm

I am so sorry for your loss and thank you for fighting for what's proper for the kids. We had a scare last year with our oldest. So many kids are taking natural supplements now to add size and strength and that can be very dangerous in the heat.

HorseFeathers

I think it's funny the generation(s)...that say back in my day we practiced in 120 degrees three times a day and nobody cared....are the same guys that raised the current generation(s) in the a.c, and with video games...

nastynice

Quote from: HF on August 06, 2015, 05:53:23 pm
I think it's funny the generation(s)...that say back in my day we practiced in 120 degrees three times a day and nobody cared....are the same guys that raised the current generation(s) in the a.c, and with video games...
BINGO!

BUCK FEVER

Quote from: Oldman on August 06, 2015, 02:19:41 pm

i'm 50 now.

that is old...........if you need any help at Buckaroo stadium THIS YEAR CLIMBING UP THE BLEACHERS let me know, I"ll be glad to help.

Wonderdog

I would also add the fact that the kids are not playing outside in the summer either. When I was in high school we were outside all the time because I played american legion baseball. We were conditioned to deal with the heat, not primarily because of our coaches, but because we were not couch potato's. The coaches definitely pushed us hard though.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Wonderdog09 on August 06, 2015, 09:17:12 pm
I would also add the fact that the kids are not playing outside in the summer either. When I was in high school we were outside all the time because I played american legion baseball. We were conditioned to deal with the heat, not primarily because of our coaches, but because we were not couch potato's. The coaches definitely pushed us hard though.

Which most of this fall's back on the parents....

Wonderdog

Quote from: HF on August 06, 2015, 09:34:57 pm

Agreed. As a high school athlete I think I had about 2 weeks per year when I was not fully active in at least one sport. So I may not be the best person to speak on the topic. Today you see way more kids specializing in one sport. Which is not smart in my opinion. Burnout, injury from repetitive movements and limitation to other skills as well. The parents have gone soft I guess compared to the baby boomers haha

macadoshis

Quote from: Wonderdog09 on August 06, 2015, 11:28:43 pm

Agreed. As a high school athlete I think I had about 2 weeks per year when I was not fully active in at least one sport. So I may not be the best person to speak on the topic. Today you see way more kids specializing in one sport. Which is not smart in my opinion. Burnout, injury from repetitive movements and limitation to other skills as well. The parents have gone soft I guess compared to the baby boomers haha
I agree with you that kids should play as many sports as possible.  Botth my boys go from one sport to the next.  And in the summer, Hunter sometimes has three things going at once, with travel baseball, AAU basketball, and all the football camps he attends.  I think it only makes a player better when they play multiple sports. 

Wonderdog

Quote from: macadoshis on August 07, 2015, 07:11:45 am

I agree with you that kids should play as many sports as possible.  Botth my boys go from one sport to the next.  And in the summer, Hunter sometimes has three things going at once, with travel baseball, AAU basketball, and all the football camps he attends.  I think it only makes a player better when they play multiple sports.
Each sport has overlap from one to the next in the sense that it demands well conditioned athletes to have successful performances. The other upside to multiple sport athletes, is that they get the conditioning changed up. For example, you won't see a basketball team on a field running gassers or a football team running triangles on a baseball field. Being athletic, having good hands, good footwork, it factors into all sports but they utilize those skills in different ways from sport to sport. It is great for the kids. This may be stretching it a bit, but I recently read an article on recruiting strategies for the more successful college football programs in the country. It went on to say that coaches such as; Nick Saban and Urban Meyer plus a few other notables that are escaping me right now, specifically target athletes that play at least two sports in high school.

macadoshis

Quote from: Wonderdog09 on August 07, 2015, 08:40:09 am
Quote from: macadoshis on August 07, 2015, 07:11:45 am

Each sport has overlap from one to the next in the sense that it demands well conditioned athletes to have successful performances. The other upside to multiple sport athletes, is that they get the conditioning changed up. For example, you won't see a basketball team on a field running gassers or a football team running triangles on a baseball field. Being athletic, having good hands, good footwork, it factors into all sports but they utilize those skills in different ways from sport to sport. It is great for the kids. This may be stretching it a bit, but I recently read an article on recruiting strategies for the more successful college football programs in the country. It went on to say that coaches such as; Nick Saban and Urban Meyer plus a few other notables that are escaping me right now, specifically target athletes that play at least two sports in high school.
I was just about to say the same thing.  Every college coach we've talked to said it was good that Hunter plays multiple sports. That they look for that in a recruit. 

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: BUCK FEVER on August 06, 2015, 09:13:43 pm

i'm 50 now.

that is old...........if you need any help at Buckaroo stadium THIS YEAR CLIMBING UP THE BLEACHERS let me know, I"ll be glad to help.
can I sit with you and mrs. fever?

cdelaney

i'm 50 now.
You are now Youngman (not Henny). You are nowhere close to being old

WHITEchicken

I could see where a college basketball coach would want kids that have specialized in basketball for the simple fact you have to be able to do everything in rapid succession in basketball. You dont have the luxury of only playing defense or offense. In baseball you get time in between to get ready for offense and defense. You can hide a bad defender in baseball with pitching and things like that. I think basketball takes a lot more time to be really good at the game. Baseball you could be a great hitter and that be enough or a great fielder. Football you could be a great runner back as proud buckaroo says.

nastynice

Drive by any neighborhood at any hour and see how many kids are playing outside in groups. Or even less, how many around do you see push mowing the yard.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: nastynice on August 07, 2015, 06:32:36 pm
Drive by any neighborhood at any hour and see how many kids are playing outside in groups. Or even less, how many around do you see push mowing the yard.

Mommy bought me an xbox, and cranked that air down to 65....now if only I could get her to buy the right hot pockets! Who needs football when I can play as Aaron Rodgers!

Coltfan2005

It's possible the blame lies in the kid's lifestyles and lack of conditioning.....but the truth is the most heat related deaths among High school football players was in 1972. Yep, 1972......before the energy drinks, computers, and game stations. The nation lost 7 kids that year. Next highest was in 2011, so there must be some other cause, combined with the above mentioned reasons. Most scientist are saying it's because of the climate change.....but that 1972 statistic kind of screws up the old global warming line.

Wonderdog

Quote from: Coltfan2005 on August 07, 2015, 10:13:31 pm
It's possible the blame lies in the kid's lifestyles and lack of conditioning.....but the truth is the most heat related deaths among High school football players was in 1972. Yep, 1972......before the energy drinks, computers, and game stations. The nation lost 7 kids that year. Next highest was in 2011, so there must be some other cause, combined with the above mentioned reasons. Most scientist are saying it's because of the climate change.....but that 1972 statistic kind of screws up the old global warming line.
This is interesting. I would be intrigued by the consistencies or inconsistencies that would support one theory or another. Nice addition to the conversation.

BUCK FEVER

Quote from: Oldman on August 07, 2015, 10:45:24 am
Quote from: BUCK FEVER on August 06, 2015, 09:13:43 pm

i'm 50 now.

can I sit with you and mrs. fever?

sure, mrs Fever likes old folks....she always visits the local nursing homes .

snoopy22

She gets prettier every year.  You are a lucky one Oldman, getting to sit with the Fevers! ;)

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas