• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Take A Knee. Yes or No?

Started by blueberryrockstar, November 24, 2013, 11:43:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mao

Quote from: SuperTurfMonkey on November 25, 2013, 05:24:02 pm
Of course,  I'm wrong again ??? :-\

Yep, first time in his life he has been correct!!!! Hurray for monkey boy!!! Hip Hip Hooray

Dayton Kitchens

According to AAA rules,  the coaches cannot communicate with non injured players on the field during an injury timeout.

Some crews are not as strict about it.

junkyard dog

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on December 08, 2013, 07:32:39 am
According to AAA rules,  the coaches cannot communicate with non injured players on the field during an injury timeout.

When was the last time you saw a zebra that even came close to knowing most of the rules?????????

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: junkyard dog on December 08, 2013, 08:20:11 am

When was the last time you saw a zebra that even came close to knowing most of the rules?????????

Most don't but they seem to remember most of the rules regarding what a coach and the sideline personnel can and cannot do.

SuperTurfMonkey

Quote from: mao on December 06, 2013, 09:06:56 pm
Quote from: SuperTurfMonkey on November 25, 2013, 05:24:02 pm
Of course,  I'm wrong again ??? :-\

Yep, first time in his life he has been correct!!!! Hurray for monkey boy!!! Hip Hip Hooray
;D  That's one more time than you!!!!!   ;D

big lefty

I have seen Glen Rose take a knee if the injury was serious.

junkyard dog

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on December 08, 2013, 08:49:42 am
Quote from: junkyard dog on December 08, 2013, 08:20:11 am

Most don't but they seem to remember most of the rules regarding what a coach and the sideline personnel can and cannot do.
True.  But knowing and enforcing fairly, are two different things.

SuperTurfMonkey

Quote from: big lefty on December 08, 2013, 10:40:59 am
I have seen Glen Rose take a knee if the injury was serious.
Most teams do, no matter how serious it is, I mean how do you know until someone checks the player out?  Very disrespectful, no matter what anyone says.

Dayton Kitchens

Traditionally, the unwritten rule of field conduct is that if an injured player is sitting upright while being attended to,  taking a knee is not necessary.    If the player is on their back, stomach or obviously unconscious then taking a knee is expected.   

This has a practical application as a player sitting upright is apt to be removed from the field much more quickly and thus the symbology of showing respect and showing mutual solidarity to a fellow  player is not as obvious.

SuperTurfMonkey

My point is that Glen Blows does not take a knee unless they call for an Ambulance?

SuperTurfMonkey

And it is not the kids I'm sure...it is the coaches!!!  But that coach has no idea what respect means, so I guess in his eyes it is ok??   :-\

True Fan

Watched a lot of college and pro football this weekend. I guess I missed them taking knees for every little injury, faked or real. ;D

I guess I'm too old to remember this tradition anyway. I remember the band would quit playing and the cheerleaders would stand at attention with their hands behind their back. Our job was to quit playing grab-rear and show some respect. We MAY have taken a knee if it became apparent that it was really serious. I just don't recall it as standard operating procedure.

I still say it started in youth league as a way to keep the kids out of the way. Totally overused now.

But, after y'all get this taken care of, I'm pretty sure there are some people in church who aren't singing along and others who are peeking when their eyes are supposed to be closed during the prayer.

SuperTurfMonkey

tuna fish

Seriously...  People are way too easily offended these days.  If someone not taking a knee, not taking their hat off, or any other trivial matter offend you, you are probably way too soft.  That is what is going wrong with this country.  Political correctness rules.  You can't say this or that without someone being offended.  It is all BS! 

Coach Venny Slocombe

Let me ask this...what good does taking a knee do? Okay, so the sideline took a knee for an injured player from an opposing team. Did it help that player? Did it make him all better? No and No...and if the injured player goes abck in the game you can bet the other team is gonna be trying to knock him out yet again...lol...

I say if a team takes a knee...fine, good for them.

I say if a team doesn't take a knee...fine, good for them.

edghog

Lions84

Quote from: blueberryrockstar on November 24, 2013, 11:43:02 pm
I have seen instances where teams do take a knee for an injured player, and I've seen instances where they don't take a knee for an injured player. I have felt disrespected in the past when an opponent did not take a knee while we had a moderately serious injury(dislocated knee) on the field, but after I did some research I somewhat understand it now.

I just researched why people take a knee in football and why they don't and such and I found some interesting information.
1. Some teams do not take a knee so they remain fresh and it is said that it prevents cramps by keeping the muscles moving.
2. Taking a knee supposedly originates from ancient times when a warrior was wounded or died, the rest of the warriors would take a knee to show respect. Some also believe that it all starts in little leagues to instill character in children to respect your opponent even if they are playing against you.
3. Taking a knee supposedly is a time to respect the fallen player, while in a prayer position(on your knees) to pray to your God(whomever it may be to you) for recovery of the injured player.
4. It gives your team rest while remaining away from the injured player so that the trainers can give the player the correct attention without distractions.
5. Most programs do not have a rule set in place for such events, it just happens naturally.

At Charleston, if there is an injured player the team takes a knee, gets some water, communicates with coaches, and(if serious) has a team prayer for the player. From what I've seen the fans, cheerleaders, and such all remained seated quietly and applaud as the injured player gets up, carried off the field, or is taken by ambulance. Sometimes I wish that if the injury is serious that there would be a prayer over the speakers for the player. But I can pray to myself to try and respect everyone's views.

So what does your school do? Any set rules?

We were taught to always take a knee.

KOJACK

December 10, 2013, 07:59:43 pm #67 Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 08:08:57 pm by KOJACK
Yes we as a society are too politically correct nowadays. I should be able to tell someone what I think of them, and I should be able to call a spade a spade and I should be able to deny someone something just cause I want to, and I should be able to bust my kids arse in public if they are acting a fool...but I'm not so take a freakin knee, until things change. ::) :-\ :'(

WPWells

True Fan

Heck no. That's what's wrong with our society now. You can wuss out if you want. I'm tired of the PCBS. It's time for the country to MAN up.

KOJACK

December 10, 2013, 09:19:36 pm #70 Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 06:41:28 am by KOJACK
Quote from: True Fan on December 10, 2013, 08:48:25 pm
Heck no. That's what's wrong with our society now. You can wuss out if you want. I'm tired of the PCBS. It's time for the country to MAN up.
Easier said than done

HorseFeathers

You'd be a fan of Glen Rose's coach's idea on it...As told to me by a former player from there. We didn't take a knee because the other team should quit being a bunch of pansies and get to the sideline where they belong if they are actually hurt.

True Fan

Quote from: KOJACK on December 10, 2013, 09:19:36 pm
Easier said than done

True. Maybe I came off a little extreme. It was your last line that got me, "until things change". Most of the change I've seen on this subject is bad. I think that I, and most old guys I know, have a strong work ethic and plow ahead, even when we're uncomfortable, because the task at hand matters more than every little ache, pain, and hurt feeling that we have. We are teaching our kids to be the biggest hypochondriacs in the world and to actively look for anyone who might have said something that could be offensive. Heck it doesn't have to be offensive, just not being sensitive enough is a strike against humanity.

I haven't made it this far in life being coddled and pampered. I was raised in a way that helped me learn to look out for myself and to handle my own business. Not to mention, know when I needed to mind my own business.

HF, when 90% of the "injuries" I see are for minor boo boo's and the "acting like I'm hurt because I missed a play", you're dang right that I agree with the coach. Even if you are hurt, don't let your enemy see you when you're down. Be a man and get off the field under your own power if at all possible.

WALK IT OFF!

fnu lnu

Quote from: True Fan on December 11, 2013, 03:47:39 pm

True. Maybe I came off a little extreme. It was your last line that got me, "until things change". Most of the change I've seen on this subject is bad. I think that I, and most old guys I know, have a strong work ethic and plow ahead, even when we're uncomfortable, because the task at hand matters more than every little ache, pain, and hurt feeling that we have. We are teaching our kids to be the biggest hypochondriacs in the world and to actively look for anyone who might have said something that could be offensive. Heck it doesn't have to be offensive, just not being sensitive enough is a strike against humanity.

I haven't made it this far in life being coddled and pampered. I was raised in a way that helped me learn to look out for myself and to handle my own business. Not to mention, know when I needed to mind my own business.

HF, when 90% of the "injuries" I see are for minor boo boo's and the "acting like I'm hurt because I missed a play", you're dang right that I agree with the coach. Even if you are hurt, don't let your enemy see you when you're down. Be a man and get off the field under your own power if at all possible.

WALK IT OFF!

True Fan, that was very well stated, on many levels.  I'm just a passerby reading the thread but I am very impressed. 

Man of Steel

Quote from: SuperTurfMonkey on November 25, 2013, 03:26:53 pm
Quote from: johnharrison on November 25, 2013, 11:23:33 am
Growing up I was taught that it was disrespectful for a man to wear a hat during the National Anthem, during a prayer, or inside.  (Well that third one is gone for sure)

At the start of the game Friday it was COLD AND RAINY.  I thought about takihng my hat off, but I looked around and didn't see a single bare headed individual.

Does that mean anyone disrepected God or our troops overseas?  No! It meant we had decided for our own comfort (don't start with safety crap) to leave our hats on.

You can be respectful with a hat on (or not taking a knee)
You can be disrepectful as heck with your hat in your hand (or on a knee)

One should be more concerned about what is in one's heart more than how others may perceive one's actions.
Yes if you didn't take your hats off then it is disrespect to what the flag stands for, so by not doing it offends me every time I see it happen.  That is worse than not taking a knee anytime.

Agree. "I thought about takihng my hat off, but I looked around and didn't see a single bare headed individual...No! It meant we had decided for our own comfort (don't start with safety crap) to leave our hats on." Wow, seriously?? No one else had theirs off, so I kept mine on....you decided for the sake of comfort to keep it on??

nastynice

Quote from: tuna fish on December 09, 2013, 07:16:40 am
Seriously...  People are way too easily offended these days.  If someone not taking a knee, not taking their hat off, or any other trivial matter offend you, you are probably way too soft.  That is what is going wrong with this country.  Political correctness rules.  You can't say this or that without someone being offended.  It is all BS!
+1,000

knightpride

Serious injuries-take a knee. GR coach was one the 1st out to an injured player of ours.  He was hurt pretty bad, out for the rest of the game and next.  No knee taken . That's judgment call.  No big deal.  Players didn't play dirty (according to our players)  What I did notice was the lack of encouraging applause from GR fans when the injured player was assisted of the field.   

DeeGee

Quote from: knightpride on December 19, 2013, 06:32:17 pm
Serious injuries-take a knee. GR coach was one the 1st out to an injured player of ours.  He was hurt pretty bad, out for the rest of the game and next.  No knee taken . That's judgment call.  No big deal.  Players didn't play dirty (according to our players)  What I did notice was the lack of encouraging applause from GR fans when the injured player was assisted of the field.

Well at the game Friday GR players took a knee for an injured player on Smackovers team while most of their own players did not. And both sides of the stands cheered loudly when the player was taken off the field. Coach Kehner made GR players take a knee after checking on the injured player. I suppose your talking about the player that was injured on your sideline that we couldn't tell really what was going on til after it was over? For the most part this GR team is very respectful. Their teens, sometimes they are gonna have their moments. That's all teams though.

akbballer

Show of respect with knee is good.  Being quiet with a respectable body language is also good. It is not the rule which says about the show of respect but how they show respect is good.  Team afforts to go out of their way to show respect with knee is very good. I personally get all emotional when I see the players show thier respect to injured player by kneeling down for them.

GeorgeWBush

Quote from: johnharrison on November 25, 2013, 06:59:44 am
99% of the time when their is a player down its ankle, a knee, not a life threatening heart or head injury.  Watch the game films, probably half the time the player goes back into the game. 

Heck last Thanksgiving my brother cut his hand so bad he ruined the turkey by getting blood on it and had to spend 3 hours in the ER.  Not one of the 30 some odd folks took a knee.  Lack of respect?  I don't think so.

Once I was at a game at War Memorial.  About 50 feet away an old lady had a real problem, EMTs and everybody was working on her.  I thnk the 300 people around her were concerned, but not one took a knee.

I was Bill Clinton once, I think there might have been 5000 people there who respected him (plus the others) and not one took a knee.

What would be disrepectful would be taunting the down player, falling to the ground and acting injured, doing TD dances and mugging to the crowd on either side.

As long as you aren't doing that, and you walk around slowly, drink water, confer quietly with teams members or even trainers (it might have been your knee that caught him on the shin) you are OK.

For me, it was a pure matter of wanting to be loose to play.  I'd rather have to jog a lap of the field than kneel for 90 seconds.

Personally, I think the "take a knee" derived from the military as a form of "take 5", just a signal to stay close and rest.  I don't think that's how you show respect.

This is spot on and I agree 100%.

I was at the 2007 Charleston - Glen Rose game.  As an unbiased observer, this is what I saw.  Glen Rose totally dominated the game in every facet and made Charleston quit.  There was never an injury in that game but Charleston kids were dropping like flies.  The reason is because they were tired of getting their butts whipped.  For Charleston fans to boo and yell at the Glen Rose coaches, kids, fans was completely classless and ignorant.  Anyone that tells you anything different about what happened that night wasn't there.

BigLion10

WPWells

I find it ridiculous that you can call out high school kids and say that they weren't injured when you have no way of knowing

And yes, I was there.

Coltfan2005

Quote from: johnharrison on November 25, 2013, 04:06:26 pm
Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on November 25, 2013, 03:37:30 pm
Quote from: johnharrison on November 25, 2013, 11:23:33 am
Growing up I was taught that it was disrespectful for a man to wear a hat during the National Anthem, during a prayer, or inside.  (Well that third one is gone for sure)

At the start of the game Friday it was COLD AND RAINY.  I thought about takihng my hat off, but I looked around and didn't see a single bare headed individual.

Does that mean anyone disrepected God or our troops overseas?  No! It meant we had decided for our own comfort (don't start with safety crap) to leave our hats on.

You can be respectful with a hat on (or not taking a knee)
You can be disrepectful as heck with your hat in your hand (or on a knee)

One should be more concerned about what is in one's heart more than how others may perceive one's actions.

Do you always do what the crowd does?  IMO, very disrespectful on many levels.

Well actually I had equipment in both my hands that couldn't get wet and I sure wasn't going to put it on the turf in the rain.  I made the choice that was going to work for me.  Looking around I noticed the officials, the players, the priest, the teachers, the fans and the police,  This includes every person I know had military service.  The one fold I was with out hats were a few under tents, with umbrellas or in the press box.  My decision was made by me, for me.  I was just interested in the norm.

One can't listen to a prayer with your hat on?  I'm old enough to remember when women were sinners if they prayed without one.

As far the prayer, same idea.  You stop talking, cross yourself, perhaps bow your head, ask to have an open heart and contemplete the words being said.  I'd be real surprised it God (not too sure about you and what's his name) says, "Uh Uh UH, you didn't take off your hat"

Seriously, if you think someone who turns, faces the flag during the anthem, is silent or maybe even sings the words is disrespectful simply for failing to remove a hat during a gusty rainy cold evening then you are crazy, far far far more concerned about display than substance.

Remind me that next time i see a member of the Armed Service to tell him that it's Ok if he doesn't do anything that might make him uncomfortable or (God forbid) get his hair wet.

RTF

It is as simple as Charleston's fans suck... GeorgeW

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas