• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3a-5 basketball

Started by CoachKk, September 16, 2013, 11:17:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jr17

We gonna start that? Really?

jr17

Those refs had reffed all three games last night and were probably the most leniant crew I have ever seen... c'mon man

PASS

Bigbuckb, if BHG was clearly the better team, they would have won despite the so called bad officiating. I didn't see the game, nor do I care who won. My beef is whiners who blame others for their teams short comings. My daughters team lost to a team they shouldn't have last night. The other team outplayed them, that's why you play the game. Quit blaming refs & start supporting your team in a positive manner.
Okay, I'm off my soapbox now.

neds

ECS over JA Fair 59-54 in Jammin for Jackets consolation today.
ECS goes to 2-2 so far in the young season. Good tournament for them despite going 1-2, played all 6A/7A teams the last three days and that is the best way to improve. The two L's were by a combined 4 pts. to NLR and McClellan.

CoachKk

Those loses will only make the team stronger.. Next up is a Christmas tournament in Wynne, starting on the 27th and going through 30th.

basketballfan3

When they start playing 3A teams they shouldn't lose a game. Charleston is probably the only team that would have a chance.

Dr_Angel

Quote from: CoachKk on December 14, 2013, 03:10:04 pm
Those loses will only make the team stronger.. Next up is a Christmas tournament in Wynne, starting on the 27th and going through 30th.

What all schools are playing in that Christmas tourney at Wynne?

WildcatGrandpa13

Quote from: basketballfan3 on December 14, 2013, 04:04:27 pm
When they start playing 3A teams they shouldn't lose a game. Charleston is probably the only team that would have a chance.
If they play like a team I agree with you. No one in 3A has the athletes that those teams in Jammin for Jackets has. Bigger, faster, stronger. It is nice for ECS to see and play teams like that though, gives them good competition and lets them know that they are not invincible. If a team has the thought that it is invincible, it can be the downfall of a team...

Radiotalker

I'm saving this post.

neds

Young into the season and young team for ECS, anything can happen.
I do like their approach on playing the bigger schools. Not sure who is in the Wynne tournament (ECS going their for Christmas play) in Springdale , but I imagine it will be 6A & 7A mainly.

Radiotalker

Quote from: neds on December 15, 2013, 05:52:52 pm
Young into the season and young team for ECS, anything can happen.
I do like their approach on playing the bigger schools. Not sure who is in the Wynne tournament (ECS going their for Christmas play) in Springdale , but I imagine it will be 6A & 7A mainly.

I agree with the approach (win or lose)

Osceola playing the Hurricane Classis Jan 1-4. Field includes Greene County Tech, West Jefferson, Brookland, Clarksville, Jonesboro, Cedar Ridge, and Libery Tech.
Noles open with Jonesboro

neds

They will improve after that. Jonesboro coach will find some things for them to work on that will make them a better team. He seems to find a teams soft spot whatever that is.

jr17

I think that's where mayflower is lacking early in the year.... toughest competition they've played is lonoke and vilonia
But i guess it worked out well against BHG

neds

I think the rewards of playing greater competition comes late in the season, play-off time.

jr17

Agreed.. but Mayflowers schedule just gets tougher as the year rolls on

neds

They (Mayflower) will be fine and they will compete.
ECS better not sleep on them or they will get upset.
Mayflower could be a bad draw for several teams in the regionals.

jr17

Very true!! I think the Mayflower ECS game is going to be a great game!!

neds

Agree , at least for a half

Pastureboy21

ECS needs to work on their offense. When they can shoot, it's unstoppable. The guards can drive well too, but in past games haven't been able to do that successfully when not shooting good.

jr17

Mayflower always steps up their game for episcopal... its a great atmosphere with both of their student sections going at each other... I'm telling you, mayflower will make it closer than expected

cdelaney

Quote from: Radiotalker on December 15, 2013, 05:29:07 pm

I'm saving this post.
You should save it. ECS should do well, should win conference and compete for state title. But they are a long way from invincible. I would not be surprised at all for them to lose 2-3 conference games on the road especially. And in State, all the teams are pretty good, it just takes a cold shooting night, miss a few FT's, bad calls, a hot opponent, and boom! you are done. ECS played well in State last year, but also got some breaks to get to finals. They have improved as the season progressed the past two years, but the question is can they do that this year? Will they have the mental toughness to do that? They need to develop a more consistent inside game and not rely on 3 pt shots and individual talent as much. They have one of the best coaches in 3A, so I suspect they will do well, but they will have some tough games this year and will lose some against 3A competition, not just 6A-7A.

cdelaney

Quote from: PASS on December 14, 2013, 12:14:16 pm
Bigbuckb, if BHG was clearly the better team, they would have won despite the so called bad officiating. I didn't see the game, nor do I care who won. My beef is whiners who blame others for their teams short comings. My daughters team lost to a team they shouldn't have last night. The other team outplayed them, that's why you play the game. Quit blaming refs & start supporting your team in a positive manner.
Okay, I'm off my soapbox now.
So there was a score from Jville and BHG in the paper today, something like a 6 point win for BHG. Was that correct? If so what was the game like? Suprised it was that close.

jr17

It is correct... I had the same question. What happened? I though jville was down this year?

bigbuckb

BHG was up by 14 and the refs called 11 straight turn overs. I know some of you don't believe the refs are capable of changing the course of a game but I have set through a thousand games and I assure you that refs can change the tempo of the game. BHG has probably the biggest team in the state and I think the refs feel sorry for the obviously smaller team and calls against them. BHG was up by 10 at the half and then the big guys started fouling out. For example, the soph forward Jake Scoggins was bringing the ball down the court and his legs were taken out from under him, his head hit the floor and gave him a concussion and they called him for traveling. Hayden the 6'10 center was punched in the eye (and he has a huge shiner) and they called him for a fould because when he was punched he had the ball above his head and after he got punched he brought his hands down and they called him for a foul. It was ugly!!!! But they held on despite the poor refs to win. At home they are beating teams by 35 points.

Calibang2

What about the under dog e-Stem beating Jessieville I saw that one of there forwards had 33pts and 10 rebounds and their point had 10 and 7?

bigbuckb

Did estem play them at Jessiville? Estem is much improved from last year. They are playing much more under control and they are pretty athletic.

jr17

Bigbuck
Is that going to be BHG excuse for every poor performance? If they're blowing teams out by 35+ at home, maybe that's saying something about the home officiating... pretty sure refs don't "feel sorry" for another team..  now their may have been terrible officiating but seems like you're quick to point some fingers at refs

Calibang2

neds

Quote from: Calibang2 on December 18, 2013, 07:02:10 pm
What about the under dog e-Stem beating Jessieville I saw that one of there forwards had 33pts and 10 rebounds and their point had 10 and 7?

I believe this was the girls game. E Stem ended a several year winning streak at home for Jessy girls.

ltb759

Quote from: bigbuckb on December 18, 2013, 06:36:03 pm
BHG was up by 14 and the refs called 11 straight turn overs. I know some of you don't believe the refs are capable of changing the course of a game but I have set through a thousand games and I assure you that refs can change the tempo of the game. BHG has probably the biggest team in the state and I think the refs feel sorry for the obviously smaller team and calls against them. BHG was up by 10 at the half and then the big guys started fouling out. For example, the soph forward Jake Scoggins was bringing the ball down the court and his legs were taken out from under him, his head hit the floor and gave him a concussion and they called him for traveling. Hayden the 6'10 center was punched in the eye (and he has a huge shiner) and they called him for a fould because when he was punched he had the ball above his head and after he got punched he brought his hands down and they called him for a foul. It was ugly!!!! But they held on despite the poor refs to win. At home they are beating teams by 35 points.

How do the officials call 11 straight turnovers?

Calibang2

[/quote]

I believe this was the girls game. E Stem ended a several year winning streak at home for Jessy girls.
[/quote]

It said boys in the paper that e-stem boys also got a victory

jr17

Calibang2

Head Lion

Quote from: neds on December 18, 2013, 09:44:11 pm

Is that conference play, because Manila went there about a month ago and beat them?

neds

Quote from: Head Lion on December 22, 2013, 04:59:45 pm
Quote from: neds on December 18, 2013, 09:44:11 pm

Is that conference play, because Manila went there about a month ago and beat them?

Not sure what the record was, conf or non conf or both. Was just quoting the AR Dem.

thefan

It was conference streak. A few years of not getting beat.

sports junkie

Estem swept Jessieville at their place
Jr Boys went to double overtime
Sr Girls and Sr Boys from Estem were winners

Estem girls put a number on Mayflower and the Mayflower boys won by 5 or 6.  Heard that it was still up in the air until about 2 minutes left in the game.

Estem girls are playing in Lonoke and the boys are scheduled in Heber all weekend, both won today from what I was told. 

BigLion10

Estem girls play england today in the semi finals of the lonoke tourney

neds

ECS lost to Springdale Har-Ber yesterday in Wynne tournament, beat Blytheville today by dbl digits in boys play.

jrhall2

. How is a game get to physical when your as big as BHG? If I were on that team I'd be praying the refs let us play rough. Of course when your as soft as their big 6'10 kid size doesn't do much good.

neds

ECS defeats Hughes in consolation final of Wynne Holiday tournament by 16.
Next up is Pottsville @LRCA on 1/2

neds

January 02, 2014, 07:43:51 pm #141 Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 02:38:03 pm by neds
Episcopal defeats Pottsville 64 - 39 tonight in match play at Little Rock Christian.
They play the winner of HS Lakeside and LRCA.

Play LRCA @7:30 on Sat.

TractorBoy7

Pottsville defending 4a state champs correct?

WPWells

Correct but lost a lot from last year's team. Still a very good win for ECS

TractorBoy7

12th man are you a 4a basketball poster as well?

WPWells

Yes sir. Mostly on the 4A-4 because I like Subiaco

cdelaney

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on January 03, 2014, 02:11:34 pm
Correct but lost a lot from last year's team. Still a very good win for ECS
I hope they lost a lot. They had a really good player, #5, but otherwise were not that strong. Would finish near bottom of 3a-5.

WPWells

#5 (Perry) is the best player on their team. He was the MVP of last year's state tournament. Obviously, though, he can't do it alone and he was the only starter that returned. His supporting cast is just a bunch of shooters so if they aren't hitting then the team doesn't go

Like I said though I'm not taking anything away from the win because ECS DID just beat a defending state champion by 25

bobcats

Quote from: neds on December 28, 2013, 02:14:49 pm
ECS lost to Springdale Har-Ber yesterday in Wynne tournament, beat Blytheville today by dbl digits in boys play.

What happened in this game?  Har-Ber is considered one of the weaker 7A schools.  You take NLR to the wire and lose this one.  As I heard it, ECS was never really in this game.

neds

Wasn't there so I can't comment on the actual game. That said, it was their (ECS) first game since Jammin for Jackets (I believe an 8 day lay-off) and they were 'off' or rusty not sure how you want to explain it. Happens to a lot of teams during the holiday break and in a lot of cases teams don't really emerge until Jan. due to so few games in Nov/Dec.
I would take nothing away from the loss to Springdale other than the fact that they may surprise (new coach) some people in 7A this year or ECS was terrible that night and S'dale was just 'on'.
ECS' best basketball is ahead of them, I am certain of that.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas