• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question to "The Future and Almatrackster" for the 5A this cycle

Started by Go Postal, July 15, 2014, 09:14:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Go Postal

Future & trackster, how do you see what this cycle brings to the table in the 5A this year?  I always enjoyed your non bias breakdowns.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: Go Postal on July 15, 2014, 09:14:59 pmhow do you see what this cycle brings to the table in the 5A this year?

For starters, the West is going to suck.

AT

I think it's wide open this year.

First off, I don't think Farmington is going to be a big threat. They have lost or barely beat Huntsville in the past and we know how Huntsville was doing in the 5A West. They may be ripe for an upset or two, though.

I think Clarksville got a good coach, but aren't ready to compete for a playoff spot yet.

Little Rock Christian is very tough to tell. They have a great coaching staff (Buck James as an assistant coach!? Are you kidding me?). They also seemed to make some strides last year. I think they fight for the fourth playoff spot.

Maumelle is tough to tell, also. They have been competitive in 4A, but from what I hear, their numbers were growing rapidly and have flattened out. They had the numbers as a middle level 5A school playing in 4A. I think we see them playing for anywhere from a 2-4 seed, but I can't see a conference championship.

Morrilton loses A LOT of contributors. Coach McNabb has improved every year since he's been there, but I can't see him going undefeated, winning conference, and state this year. I honestly could see them fighting for the last playoff spot.

Vilonia had a bunch of young guys have to step up last year and this year they return that gun slinging QB. If they stick to an identity on offense and keep a salty defense, they will be dangerous. But I still think they are only fighting for a playoff spot.

I think I said this last year about Harrison, but they are ready to rise back up to the top. I'm not overreacting to a good 7 on 7 tournament win either. Coach DePriest can correct me on this but I believe they were a few plays away from beating Greenbrier, Alma, and Vilonia and being a 3 seed in the playoffs last year. I think with their coaching staff and explosive offense, they fight for the conference crown this year. The X-factor is their defense. They can't be as...defensively challenged as they were last year.

Greenbrier is another team I expect to fight for a conference crown. They really gave Alma a scare last year with a young QB. I believe most Greenbrier fans have said they were young everywhere last year. I see them in the playoffs for sure.

In short, my opinion:

No playoff chance...or very slight:
Farmington
Clarksville

Fighting for playoff spots
Morrilton
Maumelle
Vilonia
Little Rock Christian

Playoff bound/conference champ contenders:
Greenbrier
Harrison

AT

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on July 15, 2014, 10:22:07 pm
Quote from: Go Postal on July 15, 2014, 09:14:59 pmhow do you see what this cycle brings to the table in the 5A this year?

I personally can't see anyone outside of Wynne or PA winning state this year, but I thought the same about PA and CF last year and we saw what happened.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: Almatrackster on July 15, 2014, 11:58:24 pm

I personally can't see anyone outside of Wynne or PA winning state this year, but I thought the same about PA and CF last year and we saw what happened.

It wouldn't be a massive shock if we saw a Clarksville, Tech, or a Dequeen make a run at state.

Of all the classifications, 5A is the schizophrenic one.  I love it.

GuvHog

It will be interesting to see how well Tech does this year. After last season they switched to Olympic style weightlifting. I've heard they are stronger, quicker, and bigger than they were last season and closing the gap between them and the top teams in the 5A east in those areas. They also have a new HC from Kansas who has led teams to multiple state titles there. They could surprise some teams in that 5A East conference.

Go Postal

One thing I like about this season's Harrison non conference games is that we will play all of our old rivals that are now in 6A, Mtn. Home, Alma and Siloam Springs.  Hopefully the kids from Harrison will remember those rivalries that we had over the many years and make these games a good starting point going into conference play.  Of course then we have our old nemesis, LRCA once again.  I believe the last time we played them in the West conference, they had Dyer.  Should be interesting.

sevenof400

What are you smoking, Ivan? 

You have a three-time state champion -Vilonia- in the West and............

oh wait......wake me in the spring, please.   

Hoghead

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on July 16, 2014, 02:13:49 am
Quote from: Almatrackster on July 15, 2014, 11:58:24 pm

It wouldn't be a massive shock if we saw a Clarksville, Tech, or a Dequeen make a run at state.

Of all the classifications, 5A is the schizophrenic one.  I love it.

DeQueen ! Ha Ha !  Dont leave out Paragould, GCT &  Huntsville.

HorseFeathers

huntsville would be a massive shock seeing as they dropped back to 4a

Cajun Hog

Quote from: HF on July 17, 2014, 11:37:33 am

They better enjoy being back in 4A, as they will be back to 5A in 2 years.  ;D

DogsWin7

And suck big.   Should be interesting, though.  :)

Hoghead

Quote from: HF on July 17, 2014, 11:37:33 am

Gosh darn it ! This 2 yr reclassification stuff gets tricky.

HorseFeathers

Well if it holds true huntsville will be back in the west next cycle. They bounce up and down more than any other school in the state.

Go Postal

Quote from: HF on July 17, 2014, 06:51:22 pm
Well if it holds true huntsville will be back in the west next cycle. They bounce up and down more than any other school in the state.
You did mean public school, right? ;)

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Go Postal on July 17, 2014, 07:22:39 pm

True...the Private schools seem to stay in place here lately, except for Shiloh running away from the 5A West lol

GuvHog

Quote from: HF on July 17, 2014, 10:10:09 pm

True...the Private schools seem to stay in place here lately, except for Shiloh running away from the 5A West lol

Yeah, Shiloh sorta got in over their head when they opted for the 5A Classification.

rona

[/

Gotta believe the growth in NWA and the lack of same  will allow Huntsville to remain in 4-A next time around???]

Go Postal

HF, I was just thinking back to the stats that you helped me with earlier this year on that other sports forum.  Looking from a 5A perspective, this is what I remember and it was probably the same in football and other sports though I don't have the stats on this for all sports.

PA:  before '06:  they were in the AAAAA (now our 7A/6A), then after '06:  the 5A, 4A and now still in 5A.
CAC:  4A, 5A, and now still in 4A
SC:  4A, 5A, and now 4A
LRCA:  5A only, but were in the West, then Central and now are in West again.  Reminds me of public schools on East/Central/South/West movement.  Great job, Warriors!  Stick to what sized conference that you know the best. ;)

AAA private school rules.  Hilarious.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Go Postal on July 18, 2014, 08:00:40 pm

HF, I was just thinking back to the stats that you helped me with earlier this year on that other sports forum.  Looking from a 5A perspective, this is what I remember and it was probably the same in football and other sports though I don't have the stats on this for all sports.

PA:  before '06:  they were in the AAAAA (now our 7A/6A), then after '06:  the 5A, 4A and now still in 5A.
LRCA:  5A only, but were in the West, then Central and now are in West again.  Reminds me of public schools on East/Central/South/West movement.  Great job, Warriors!  Stick to what sized conference that you know the best. ;)

P.A wasn't ever in the largest class...were they? I vaguely remember them being in 3A around 2000...They were in a conference with Atkins, Beebe, CAC, Dover, Pulaski Oak Grove, Perryville and Robinson at that time.

In 2004 they were still 3A as well...Are you referring to Soccer only maybe? Here's a LINK to the 2004 3A Football State Bracket

They were in 5A for the 2006-2008 cycle...

Go Postal

Quote from: HF on July 18, 2014, 08:50:48 pm
Quote from: Go Postal on July 18, 2014, 08:00:40 pm

P.A wasn't ever in the largest class...were they? I vaguely remember them being in 3A around 2000...They were in a conference with Atkins, Beebe, CAC, Dover, Pulaski Oak Grove, Perryville and Robinson at that time.

In 2004 they were still 3A as well...Are you referring to Soccer only maybe? Here's a LINK to the 2004 3A Football State Bracket

They were in 5A for the 2006-2008 cycle...
Yes, I was referring to that other sport.  They won the Boys State Championship in that sport in 2000 & 2001 in the AAAAA (now 7A/6A schools).  Here is the link...

http://www.fearlessfriday.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=135409.0

Thanks for the info on about the AAA in '04.  Need to add that to their stats as being the only team that has played in "Most Conferences in Any Sports".  Congrats PA! ;)  What a ball club.

Uncle Ivan

Go Postal

For conference reference, not a particular sports reference.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Pulaski Academy Conferences since 2002
2002-2005 6AAA (I think they had been in 5AAA before that)
2006-2007 5A Southeast
2008-2009 5A Southwest
2010-2011 4A-7
2012-2015 5A Central

They dropped down to 4A in 2010 even though they petitioned the AAA to stay 5A.  The rule was not in place at that time that allowed schools to stay up in class.

The Future

Late to this thread. Been out of state all week on a mission trip with little to no internet connection.

Hmmm the whole 5A cycle. Thats a very broad category lol.

I think the biggest change as far as predicting the 5A champ was Alma leaving. First year Coach L comes in and loses to a great Greenwood team and a decent Russellville team before roaring to a 7-0 West title and a very good very close semifinal game against Batesville. Had Alma stayed 5A for one more cycle, I would almost be willing to bet money that Alma would have at least one state title in that 2 year cycle.

Speaking of the West, talk about crazy! The West has never been this hard to predict. While Motown is the defending champs, they lost a bunch of talent. Vilonia, Harrison, and Greenbrier will benefit from playing Alma and Greenwood year after year and being in the West and knowing how the West always plays out. Clarksville is a Tony Romo. Glimpses of talent and promise followed by a complete letdown or surprise. They could go 1-6 just as easily as they could 4-3. Who knows? Maumelle and Farmington should offer ok competitiveness once they get the hang of it, but not this year. I know little about Farmington other than they were a consistent playoff team in 4A and I know nothing about Maumelle. LRC I originally had picked at 5th but with James heading up there with Weaver, I dare say I gotta put the warriors in contention for the conference title.
West Picks:
Greenbrier
LRC
Harrison
Morrilton
Vilonia
Clarksville
Farmington
Maumelle

Surprises: LRC, Clarksville, Harrison. Look for these teams to make some noise.
Duds: Maumelle and Farmington. First season will be tough.
Final thoughts: Looking forward to this season. You could have 50 people write out their West picks and have 50 different opinions. Any of the top 5 could beat each other and all finish with the same record. But I'm saying none of these teams will win state. Morrilton surprised me last year. Very proud of the Devil Dogs. But lightning hitting twice is gonna be difficult.
I like what Trackater said earlier and I'm incorporating his prediction into mine. Yea I have my list of 1-8 finishes, but its more of a broad who finishes in what area rather than a who finishes in what spot.

The South. Ooohhhh boy. Until I see wrong, I'm saying Camden is lucky to make playoffs. They could I guess. But I won't be surprised if they go 3 wins. I don't know why Chapel every year is picked to be great by some. While they are a good team, they are far from a state title contender. Hope will win this conference. I am not jumping on the Hope wagon by any means. But with James leaving Camden and with Chapel's inconsistency, White Hall will be Hope's only threat. And lets be honest, thats not that big of a threat. This new cycle did not affect the South so theres that. I know I'm most likely the only one to think this, but after looking at the teams, this conference will be pretty boring with the exception of 2 games.
South picks:
Hope
White Hall
Watson Chapel
Camden/Lakeside
Camden/Lakeside
DeQueen
Hot Springs
Magnolia

Surprise: none
Dud: Camden
Final thoughts: Hope is the South's only hope for a state title

Now to the East, which stands for Wynne vs Batesville for the title and everyone else plays for popcorn and coke. Forrest City went 4-3, 7-3 last year and could end up 3rd seed. Valley View offers another team vying for that 4th seed spot along with Nettleton and Blytheville. And I wouldn't be surprised if VV takes it with force.

East Picks:
Wynne
Batesville
Forrest City
Nettleton
Valley View
Green Tech
Blytheville
Paragould

Surprise: VV??
Dud: VV??
Final thought: Batesville and Wynne both are fully capable of winning state. Would love to see a title game between these two.

Now to PA's conference. Another 7-0 showing for the Bruins followed by a playoff loss. The addition of Fair does only 2 things: Offers a stat building game to PA. And gives North Pulaski a chance to win a game this season. Not much else going on here.

Central Picks:
PA
Mills
Ummmmm your guess is as good as mine for 3 to 7
LR Fair

Surprises: none
Duds: none. LR Fair don't count
Final thoughts: PA is the only chance for a state title. Too bad their title glory days are over

Overall Analysis:

Greenwoods gone. Almas gone. PAs failing to meet expectations. Batesvilles a 3 time runner up.
Theres no shoe in for the title game. And even the top few teams in 5A really don't shine with anything special. For this cycle, I think the 5A is overall the weakest class between 4A up to 7A.
My final 4 are Batesville, Hope, Wynne, and PA with either Wynne or Batesville winning the title depending on how the brackets are made.

GuvHog

Remember Batesville has to play WC at WC the first game of the season. That one will tell us a lot about both teams.

AT

Quote from: GuvHog on July 19, 2014, 03:50:46 pm
Remember Batesville has to play WC at WC the first game of the season. That one will tell us a lot about both teams.

Guv, WC gave PA all they wanted last year. Was WC young?

AT

Great post, Future. Outdid me for sure (won't quote you for the sake of keeping this thread bearable to scroll through.)

Speaking of ranking teams. I'm wondering if C-Mac is going to do his rankings this year for 5A. Even with Alma in 6A, I'd still like to be a pollster. I might have to start it up soon if he doesn't show up and hand it over to him when he does.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: Go Postal on July 19, 2014, 07:58:26 am
For conference reference, not a particular sports reference.

Oh.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

GuvHog

Quote from: Almatrackster on July 19, 2014, 04:30:50 pm

No, they weren't young. They were experienced and talented, had almost everyone back from the year before but losing those big twin brothers up front before the season started really hurt them though.

Big Fan

.......they are loaded this year.   ::)

The Future

Quote from: Big Fan on July 20, 2014, 08:13:16 pm

.......they are loaded this year.   ::)

So loaded! Haha

Chapel 60
Batesville 0

Hoghead

WC should go 13-0 and hang 76 on Wynne before halftime of the 5A Title game. In a tidal waved frenzy, Wynne scores 77 points in a mercy rule induced miraculous come back.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hoghead on July 20, 2014, 10:36:32 pm
WC should go 13-0 and hang 76 on Wynne before halftime of the 5A Title game. In a tidal waved frenzy, Wynne scores 77 points in a mercy rule induced miraculous come back.

Actually I believe there is a good possibility that they go 1 and 2 in non conference play and 5-2 in conference play.

Hoghead

Hope vs
Nashville W
Ashdown W
@Prescott W
@DeQueen W
Hot Springs W
@ Watson Chaple L
HS Lakeside W
@ Camden Fvw L
White Hall W
@ Magnolia W

That's how I see the Bobcats rolling this year.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: Hoghead on July 20, 2014, 10:36:32 pmWC should go 13-0 and hang 76 on Wynne before halftime of the 5A Title game. In a tidal waved frenzy, Wynne scores 77 points in a mercy rule induced miraculous come back.

Can't say I've ever seen a game where all players involved were on meth.

GuvHog

My early WC prediction:

9/5/2014    (7:00)  BATESVILLE          L         
9/12/2014  (7:00)  @PINE BLUFF         L           
9/19/2014  (7:30)  @NASHVILLE         W         
9/26/2014  (7:00)  @HOT SPRINGS      W       
10/3/2014  (7:00)  DE QUEEN             W         
10/10/2014 (7:00) HOPE                    W         
10/17/2014 (7:00) @WHITE HALL         L         
10/24/2014 (7:00) @MAGNOLIA           W         
10/31/2014 (7:00) HS-LAKESIDE          W         
11/7/2014  (7:00)  @CAMDEN FV         L   

Go Postal

Great posts Almatrackster and The Future!  Uncle Ivan, I need to buy you a few pitchers and take you to a great other sports game.  :D

This will a very interesting 5A year in football, then all the other sports.  Can't wait.

Hoghead

Wynne should win 5A this year. But wearing that #1 tag all year from the start will be a target. Batesville is the only team to give them a run in the 5A East. The playoffs should be as fun as Last Year !!!

crmorrow24

Quote from: Hoghead on July 22, 2014, 01:42:50 am
Wynne should win 5A this year. But wearing that #1 tag all year from the start will be a target. Batesville is the only team to give them a run in the 5A East. The playoffs should be as fun as Last Year !!!
Too bad Hope won't make it past the first round this year.  If they even make it.

Hoghead

Quote from: crmorrow24 on July 22, 2014, 08:09:15 am
Quote from: Hoghead on July 22, 2014, 01:42:50 am
Too bad Hope won't make it past the first round this year.  If they even make it.

I'll bet you anything you have Hope makes the playoffs. Hot Springs, Hot Springs Lakeside, Magnolia and DeQueen will make sure this happens. How much would you like to wager ?
As for Prescott and that wet tissue conference they have slipped into. You guys should be 9-1 by the 1st of November !

Vteagle

Believe it or not, Sylvan Hills is going to be a sleeper team in the Central this year!  Don't fall asleep on this group, they are loaded offensively and will be able to score!  They have a lot of weapons.  Their season hinges on the defensive side of the ball!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas