• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wynne getting artificial turf

Started by playmaker04, May 03, 2014, 11:31:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

playmaker04

Supposed to begin after graduation this month and be ready for first home game.

sevenof400

If true, congratulations because that field needed serious help. 

Any plans with the track and stands?

Uncle Ivan

sevenof400

Lovely, Ivan.

What about the track and stands? 

Big Fan

How 'bout the "trailer on stilts" press box that is on the visitors side? 

Uncle Ivan

Plan is for turf and replacement of stadium lights. 

Fun Fact: Yellowjacket Stadium's Trailer on Stilts was the architectural inspiration for the Clinton Library in Little Rock.

sevenof400

You're on a roll, as always, Ivan.

Hope it goes well. 

walkingguy72396

Sad to see it go.  Nothing wrong with the grass field as far as grass fields go.  Whats wrong is the areas directly off of the playing surface,  Not sure turf is going to correct those areas.

sevenof400

Quote from: walkingguy72396 on May 04, 2014, 09:28:21 am
Sad to see it go.  Nothing wrong with the grass field as far as grass fields go.  Whats wrong is the areas directly off of the playing surface,  Not sure turf is going to correct those areas.

I much prefer all real grass field too, Walkingguy.  These days though, with fields increasingly used on a year round basis for a multitude of purposes, it is increasingly hard to establish and maintain a proper turf base that can withstand such frequent use. 

With respect to some of the newer turfs installed lately, the consistency and quality of the artificial stuff is getting better.  Batesville has laid new turf and its pretty good.  Hopefully Wynne's will be similar (or better). 

I do hope y'all rip out that thing being referred to as a track....That thing is dangerous.

Hoghead

That bumpkinville press box on the visitor side combined with the turf in that Lego Block Stadium is going to look like the Clampetts and Drysdale wedding ! Enjoy it Wynne fans

GuvHog

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 04, 2014, 10:19:04 am

I much prefer all real grass field too, Walkingguy.  These days though, with fields increasingly used on a year round basis for a multitude of purposes, it is increasingly hard to establish and maintain a proper turf base that can withstand such frequent use. 

With respect to some of the newer turfs installed lately, the consistency and quality of the artificial stuff is getting better.  Batesville has laid new turf and its pretty good.  Hopefully Wynne's will be similar (or better). 

I do hope y'all rip out that thing being referred to as a track....That thing is dangerous.

Probably what caused many High schools to switch to turf is when it rained so much a few years back that teams were playing in almost knee deep mud most of the year. There was quite an uproar about that.

whippersnapper

My senior year (2009) every home game was in the mud of some sorts. Some Fridays weren't as bad as others. But still for the last 4-5 years we have had some bad rainy muddy nights. Turf really helps with that problem because it takes some flash flood type weather for any rain to make puddles on the field.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: whippersnapper on May 08, 2014, 03:29:25 pm
My senior year (2009) every home game was in the mud of some sorts. Some Fridays weren't as bad as others. But still for the last 4-5 years we have had some bad rainy muddy nights. Turf really helps with that problem because it takes some flash flood type weather for any rain to make puddles on the field.

The field held up well in 2012, even with it pouring down what seemed like every Friday night.

Hoghead

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 04, 2014, 10:19:04 am

Malvern had that similar track booby trap thing as Wynne. You could lose a leg on those things !

FD4

Hopefully the surface will be reworked to allow for storm drainage and flushed up so the track wont be like a step up.  Sort of like the base path on a bad baseball field in that respect.  I've seen a lot of them look like a ditch between two bean fileds.  As for the poles, the Fire Dept. is taking down the light poles just to help out the cost on new lights.  We will be using our ladder tower and a couple guys to get it done.  As for the press box, I like it where it is, seldom are they on the visitors side.

Lions84

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on May 03, 2014, 09:09:59 pm

Fun Fact: Yellowjacket Stadium's Trailer on Stilts was the architectural inspiration for the Clinton Library in Little Rock.

Cool  I played on that field and it was really nice grass back in 1983.

Hoghead

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on May 03, 2014, 09:09:59 pm

Its so Rinky Dink ! But Wynne is good though.

FD4

Crews are on site, the dozer went to work yesterday as it looked like the bench marks were being established and the grade worked out.  They placed a lot of clay gravel over the track for equipment access in and out of the playing surface.  I sure hope they picked good color and logo.

MarionBlueDevil

So Wynne's first game on turf will be against Marion.

Marion's first game on its turf was last year against Wynne.

Kind of interesting.

justalionfan

Quote from: FD4 on May 29, 2014, 02:54:24 pm
Crews are on site, the dozer went to work yesterday as it looked like the bench marks were being established and the grade worked out.  They placed a lot of clay gravel over the track for equipment access in and out of the playing surface.  I sure hope they picked good color and logo.

Yeah i have been wondering about the logo myself. I went by last night after church myself and looked. I wish someone would take pics of it every day and post them so we all can see the progress being done...

Hoghead

Please use the Yellowjacket logo... Not that ugly "W" you guys use on your helmets !

Uncle Ivan

May 31, 2014, 01:37:02 pm #21 Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 01:43:58 pm by Uncle Ivan
Quote from: Hoghead on May 30, 2014, 12:33:45 am
Please use the Yellowjacket logo... Not that ugly "W" you guys use on your helmets !

Scheme I saw in the paper had one or two of those Georgia Tech yellowjackets on the field.

I want one of those big block W's at midfield.  Go back to that logo.

I would say don't have the field turf yellow, but it'd might give them ideas.  The yellow home jerseys are bad enough.

sevenof400

Good lord, Ivan - you can see the pitch of the field even in the small picture! 

On a more serious note, how goes the progress?  Has anyone set up a camera or taken photos of the progress?

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 31, 2014, 01:54:08 pm

On a more serious note, how goes the progress?  Has anyone set up a camera or taken photos of the progress?

Looks as if they've got around half the field torn up.

The_Pioneer

I'm curious.  Where will those cows graze now that you've taken their pasture away from them?

Uncle Ivan

They'll go back to leading cheers and shaking pom poms on the Batesville sideline.

Hoghead

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on May 31, 2014, 06:58:48 pm
Quote from: sevenof400 on May 31, 2014, 01:54:08 pm

Looks as if they've got around half the field torn up.

Any money left over to put a small home side press box up ? That visitors side seating & set up for the press box is so trailer parkish !

walkingguy72396

I know there are power lines and such on the home side which make it difficult to relocate, the only real solution is to flip the seating.  But then the sun would be in our eyes.  So dont think so.

Uncle Ivan

No more room behind the home side for it.

The_Pioneer

Yeah, you're pretty landlocked at that location. 

Hoghead

It reminds me of UAPB's old stadium without the Lake, rachet !

jr17

Ivan.
That may be the funniest FF post I have seen.
+1000000

FD4

An additional phase will eventually be to place support columns on the home side, elevate additional rows of seating with a new press box on the home side.  A really nice unit, and as far as I know, the visitor box will stay for a time.  Seating has been a problem on the home side for some time.  Truthfully, I would have preferred to see an entire facility built on Lemons street, but then again, that would have cost millions.

Hoghead

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on May 31, 2014, 01:37:02 pm
Quote from: Hoghead on May 30, 2014, 12:33:45 am

Scheme I saw in the paper had one or two of those Georgia Tech yellowjackets on the field.

I want one of those big block W's at midfield.  Go back to that logo.

I would say don't have the field turf yellow, but it'd might give them ideas.  The yellow home jerseys are bad enough.

Those two helmets are ok. But those Home Uniforms are ugly ! My goodness burn those things !!!

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: Hoghead on June 03, 2014, 01:32:00 pm
But those Home Uniforms are ugly ! My goodness burn those things !!!

They're hideous.  Eye-burning hideous.  Almost as bad as orange.

FD4

UI, There aint nothing wrong with Orange and Black or Black and Orange, as long as it aint Batesville.

The_Pioneer

If orange and black is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

FD4

Aint hatin on yall either Pioneer, heck, your the best rival we have these days.  Got pick somebody to get up for, may as well be the Neers.  By the way, I hope yall are out of running backs this season...............lol.

The_Pioneer

We really didn't have one last year.  No idea what this year looks like.

Hoghead

Quote from: The_Pioneer on June 04, 2014, 04:09:04 pm
We really didn't have one last year.  No idea what this year looks like.

You mean theres not anymore Childress's in Batesville ?

The_Pioneer

FD4

I know thats right, seems like every year the Neers have a Childress sweeping right, left and up the gut for 6.

SECFOOTBALLFAN

The_Pioneer

wynneaholic©

I understand there is a childress in the 6th or 7th grade that is 5-7 or 5-8 and
is lightning fast.......I don't think the childress in Batesville nor the brown in Newport tree will ever run out of new branches!!

Hoghead

Quote from: wynneaholic© on June 07, 2014, 06:41:26 pm
I understand there is a childress in the 6th or 7th grade that is 5-7 or 5-8 and
is lightning fast.......I don't think the childress in Batesville nor the brown in Newport tree will ever run out of new branches!!

Kind of like the Muldrews & Holyfields in Hope ! The Gulley's in Ashdown ! The Flemons in Prescott ! Each City has that family vine that keeps showing up on Friday Nights !

wing

Quote from: Hoghead on June 07, 2014, 07:37:28 pm
Quote from: wynneaholic© on June 07, 2014, 06:41:26 pm

Kind of like the Muldrews & Holyfields in Hope ! The Gulley's in Ashdown ! The Flemons in Prescott ! Each City has that family vine that keeps showing up on Friday Nights !

Please tell me there are no more......

justalionfan

now, back to the topic, how's the process of the turf coming along?

FD4

Boss man said they were getting the drainage in, should be pretty much installed by the end of the week or so.

justalionfan

June 11, 2014, 08:56:29 am #49 Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 08:40:45 am by justajacketfan
86 days until we play the first game on the turf.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas