• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Someone from Jacksonville Please Explain ...

Started by SantaHog, April 28, 2014, 09:30:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SantaHog

... who and why are they retiring jersey #40 for?  My understanding is this was the first jersey ever retired at Jacksonville.  I'm not trying to knock whoever it was, but don't forget Chet Winters wore #40 at Jacksonville.

Big Fan

Clinton McDonald who recently helped his team win a Superbowl.

Big Fan

SantaHog

Chet Winters had a much greater career at Jacksonville.  Two-time state champion tailback and one of the top running back recruits in the country.  Chet went on to start at the University of Oklahoma(when it was running back U) for three years.  He didn't start as a freshman, because they had a guy ahead of him named Billy Sims.  Then, he went on to play in the NFL. 

You can't ignore the history at Jacksonville.  If you're going to retire a jersey, then Dan Hampton's has to be first. 

Big Fan

Quote from: SantaHog on April 28, 2014, 11:49:04 am
Chet Winters had a much greater career at Jacksonville.  Two-time state champion tailback and one of the top running back recruits in the country.  Chet went on to start at the University of Oklahoma(when it was running back U) for three years.  He didn't start as a freshman, because they had a guy ahead of him named Billy Sims.  Then, he went on to play in the NFL. 

You can't ignore the history at Jacksonville.  If you're going to retire a jersey, then Dan Hampton's has to be first. 
Agree on big #99....

...but whose jersey would you retire next?

A)  http://www.nfl.com/player/chetwinters/2529228/profile

or

B)  http://www.seahawks.com/team/roster/clinton-mcdonald/b1e81ec1-eb17-4ba5-bb6b-024a06545710/

...and B has a Super Bowl ring.

Rayburn

Winters didn't have a "much better' career at Jacksonville than McDonald. They were comparable. But McDonald did have a much better college and pro career.
As for Hampton, yes he's a hall of famer and has a ring too, but in five seasons as a pro, McDonald has done more for his hometown community than Hampton has done since he graduated high school.
Besides that, they're going to retire Hampton's number during the upcoming football season. They were going to do them together, but with Clinton still being a professional football player, he couldn't be here at that time, so they threw one together while he was in town speaking at all the local schools, visiting hospitals and hosting his camp.

tmycjy

Quote from: SantaHog on April 28, 2014, 09:30:00 am
... who and why are they retiring jersey #40 for?  My understanding is this was the first jersey ever retired at Jacksonville.  I'm not trying to knock whoever it was, but don't forget Chet Winters wore #40 at Jacksonville.

Hey don't know why school dose retiring number the way I look at it is some wore that number before and someone will were it later

SantaHog

I can appreciate that Clinton has done some good things for Jacksonville, but you can't disrespect the ones who made Jacksonville's athletics relevant in the state.  Players like Dan Hampton, Hugh Jernigan, Tony Tademy, Chet Winters, Scott Reed, Kenneth Lawrence, Lynn Norman, and many others made Jacksonville a dominant program throughout Arkansas in the 70's and early 80's.  Hugh Walker in baseball is another name that should be strongly considered.  I'm sure there are many others equally as deserving.  Recognizing Clinton for his achievements and support is encouraging to the younger generation coming up, but before you retire someone's jersey you might want to take a little time to do some research first.  It sounds like this was rushed into and someone didn't do their homework.

SECFOOTBALLFAN

Can someone explain to me why Jacksonville hires "good ole boys" every time the head job comes open rather than hire a more qualified coach?  Do you dislike championships that much?

Rayburn

Quote from: SECFOOTBALLFAN on June 05, 2014, 11:59:20 am
Can someone explain to me why Jacksonville hires "good ole boys" every time the head job comes open rather than hire a more qualified coach?  Do you dislike championships that much?
Who is the more qualified coach that should've been hired?

blue4hire

Quote from: Rayburn on June 09, 2014, 02:05:13 pm
Quote from: SECFOOTBALLFAN on June 05, 2014, 11:59:20 am
Who is the more qualified coach that should've been hired?
As with all things in the PCSSD, the hiring process in the district is complicated by administration.

GuvHog

Quote from: tmycjy on May 01, 2014, 10:55:15 am
Quote from: SantaHog on April 28, 2014, 09:30:00 am

Hey don't know why school dose retiring number the way I look at it is some wore that number before and someone will were it later

No, once a number is retired no one else can wear that number without the permission of the person who it's being retired for or his family.

walkingguy72396

What if they did let another athelete wear the number with-out permission from the holder of the retired jersey number?  Its really only a matter of courtesy.  In the first place.  Its not like the player owns the rights to the number of a tax payer/fan supported item.

football nut

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas