• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just a rant and an idea = Capital City Classic

Started by Tigers87Grad, September 04, 2018, 09:23:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Tigers87Grad

For many years now football in Central AR has been dismal at best. Attendance is down, kids are opting for eSports over physical sports and yet it appears to be just fine. Why? With the influx of Private and Charter schools the numbers in the Public school sector have dropped drastically, so much so that high schools are having to drop in classification just to keep programs afloat. I mean when was the last time LRCentral had just 49 players dressed out? I've always said that football in Central AR only goes as far as LRCentral goes. Not being impartial cause I'm a Tiger but everyone knows when the Tigers are doing well, Quigley will fill up! That's not only good for the school, but good for the City and the District. Butts are in seats, concessions are sold etc... trickle down affect in a good way. I'm suggesting that a game call it what you want, using Capital City Classic for this posting be played each year featuring LRCentral vs Hall, Parkview, and Southwest High played in WMS. Can you imagine the hype of the kids after winning such a game? A full year of bragging rights from winning on a grand scale. more to come, but for now let me know your thoughts.

businesstron

Can you really call it dismal?   The 7a central just won a title for the first time in like 13 or 14 years.   The toughest conference in the 5a is basically the central Arkansas conferences (with PA, Parkview and Mclellan).  Bryant and Conway have been on the uptick these last few years and Pine Bluff is Pine Bluff. 

I think you mean the football in the Little Rock School district is abysmal because from where I'm looking up in NWA the region has been decent the last 4 or 5 years. 

I like your idea but I would make it regional thing.  The Central Arkansas schools have a decent record of playing each other so i don't think putting against each other in that setting will attract people to the game.  I would take the best programs from the area like PA, NLR, Bryant, Parkview, Joe T Robinson and McClellan and match them up against out of state teams from maybe Tennessee, Mississippi, and Louisiana.  You could even snatch a few schools from Texas and Oklahoma.  Now that would bring people in to watch. 

Redwolves8526

Quote from: Tigers87Grad on September 04, 2018, 09:23:30 am
For many years now football in Central AR has been dismal at best. Attendance is down, kids are opting for eSports over physical sports and yet it appears to be just fine. Why? With the influx of Private and Charter schools the numbers in the Public school sector have dropped drastically, so much so that high schools are having to drop in classification just to keep programs afloat. I mean when was the last time LRCentral had just 49 players dressed out? I've always said that football in Central AR only goes as far as LRCentral goes. Not being impartial cause I'm a Tiger but everyone knows when the Tigers are doing well, Quigley will fill up! That's not only good for the school, but good for the City and the District. Butts are in seats, concessions are sold etc... trickle down affect in a good way. I'm suggesting that a game call it what you want, using Capital City Classic for this posting be played each year featuring LRCentral vs Hall, Parkview, and Southwest High played in WMS. Can you imagine the hype of the kids after winning such a game? A full year of bragging rights from winning on a grand scale. more to come, but for now let me know your thoughts.

Central only has 49 kids out?! Wow

Oldbadger

Tigers87Grad. You may be on to something. We know it works, look at Benton and Bryant! I am not sure the approach or which teams should participate, but it could work. With the exception of Parkview most of those schools just don't play good football. Why? It doesn't get the focus and attention it should. Most of the truly good players move away so they can experience the attitude from the townspeople and the administration that want to support a program. There is great football played in the capital city just not at some schools. Until that happens, you won't see community support.
Good news is that some of the facilities in LR are being drastically improved. This is a start. I remember going to a Benton/Parkview game several years ago, I think is was played at JAFair. The field was terrible. A Benton player stepped in a hole on the field and tore his ACL. The facilities need to be upgraded so that every team plays on turf. My idea of a couple of teams to play in the Capital City Bowl would be Central and NLR. That could potentially rival Benton/Bryant in attendance.
By the way, you can't drop in classification because of low player numbers!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas