• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 5A Playoff Bracket and Results

Started by sevenof400, April 13, 2014, 10:23:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sevenof400

April 13, 2014, 10:23:02 am Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 10:30:41 pm by sevenof400
So that we can have a permanent record of the 2014 playoff results, let's retask this thread a bit for that purpose. 

Girls:Round One
1W: Harrison 6 4E: GCT 0

2C: LRCA 4 3S: DeQueen 0

4W: Morrilton 2 1E: Nettleton 1

3C: Sylvan Hills 1 2S: White Hall 0

1S: Hot Springs Lakeside 3 4C: North Pulaski 2

3W: Shiloh Christian 2 2E: Batesville 1

1C: Pulaski Academy 8 4S: Hope 0

2W: Greenbrier 2 3E: Vilonia 0

Girls:Quarterfinals

1W: Harrison 1 2C: LRCA 0

3C: Sylvan Hills 3 4W: Morrilton 0

3W: Shiloh Christian 1 1S: Hot Springs Lakeside 0

1C: Pulaski Academy 3 2W: Greenbrier 0

Girls:Semifinals

1W: Harrison 4 3C: Sylvan Hills 0

1C: Pulaski Academy 4 3W: Shiloh Christian 1

Girls:Championship

1W: Harrison 4 1C: Pulaski Academy 3

Boys:Round One

1W: Greenbrier 4 4E: Paragould 0

3S: Hot Springs Lakeside 3 2C: Pulaski Academy 1

1E: Vilonia 4 4W: Clarksville 3

2S: Hot Springs 3 3C: Sylvan Hills 0

1S: DeQueen 8 4C: North Pulaski 0

2E: Nettleton 2 3W: Huntsville 1

1C: LRCA 4  4S: White Hall 0

2W: Harrison 2 3E: Batesville 1

Boys:Quarterfinals

3S: Hot Springs Lakeside 3 1W: Greenbrier 0

2S: Hot Springs 5 1E: Vilonia 3

1S: DeQueen 6 2E: Nettleton 0

2W: Harrison 0(11) 1C: LRCA 0(10)

Boys:Semifinals

3S: Hot Springs Lakeside 2 2S: Hot Springs 1

1S: DeQueen 4 2W: Harrison 0

Boys:Championship

1S: DeQueen 4 3S: Hot Springs Lakeside 1

Sir Alex

Bloodinthewater

VG Bryant 5 El Dorado 0
Again I tip my hat to the Lady Hornets, the best team Ive seen in a couple years.  Thought our Lady Cats played them much better tonight than we did a month ago.  I think they've got to be the team to beat in 7A.
Cant coach speed, and #12, a freshman Im told, is a jewel.  #14 rules the middle, sees the field at an incredible rate of speed.  And cant say enough about their defense.  Impressive team.

Sir Alex

That is great but this thread is for the 5a bracket

Arbitro

I spoke with the White Hall boys coach this evening.  He said that their match with LRCA will be played at 8:00 AM so that the White Hall seniors can make it back to graduation that night.

hogbert

sevenof400

Quote from: hogbert on May 09, 2014, 09:24:18 pm
that is correct.

On to more important things....where have you been Hogbert?  ;D

hogbert

working on my schtick. seems to have worked with parkview a few threads over.
:)
thanks for keeping us all up to date.

sevenof400

You are welcome as always, Hogbert.
Good to have you back around these parts!

The Coach

With their win tonight Batesville is the east 3 and Paragould east 4.

VHSCoach2

Quote from: The Coach on May 09, 2014, 10:20:39 pm

Congrats to the Pioneers on the win!  Any word on the girls match between Batesville and GCT, Coach?

The Coach

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on May 09, 2014, 10:25:57 pm
Quote from: The Coach on May 09, 2014, 10:20:39 pm

Congrats to the Pioneers on the win!  Any word on the girls match between Batesville and GCT, Coach?

Trying to find out.

Sir Alex

Greenbrier boys 4 Clarksville 1

Greenbrier Girls 2 Clarksville 0

Greenbrier girls are #2.....  Divine intervention!

The Coach

Are PA boys not the 1 seed? I thought they beat LRCA on GD by 1?

sevenof400

Quote from: The Coach on May 09, 2014, 10:55:16 pm
Are PA boys not the 1 seed? I thought they beat LRCA on GD by 1?

Check out the final couple of game results - click here.

The Coach

VHSCoach2

With today's VG result (Vilonia 2, GCT 1), the final playoff seeds are set.  Batesville gets E2 and will play Shiloh Christian, Vilonia gets E3 and will play Greenbrier, and GCT gets E4 and will play Harrison.

Nettleton already wrapped up E1 and will play Morrilton.

Go Postal

Though the weather conditions might not be ideal at this time of the year...

Good Luck to all teams.  Play hard.  Play your your best.  Make your town proud.  But most of all, have fun.

chaoslord

Those of you attending a few of the games at the stadium, if this person is who I think it is, will be getting a treat in the form of seeing an MLS official work.

hogbert

LRCA VB 4, WH 0. Of the 4 goals, two were PK's. Second one knocked out our Freshman forward. He walked off on his own, but was taken to hospital. Oddly enough, no concussion, and forearm break also negative. Suppose WH was mad about graduating? :)

BigChief

May 15, 2014, 11:47:20 am #21 Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 11:36:52 am by BigChief
Thursday games

8 am boys
LRCA 4 White Hall 0

10 am girls
Harrison 6 GCT 0
LRCA 4 DeQueen 0
Morrilton 2 Nettleton 1 1OT
Sylvan Hills 1 White Hall 0

12 pm boys
Greenbrier 4 Paragould 0
HS Lakeside 3 PA 1
Vilonia 4 Clarksville 3
Hot Springs 3 Sylvan Hills 0

2 pm girls
HS Lakeside 3 North Pulaski 2
Shiloh 2 Batesville 1
PA 8 Hope 0
Greenbrier 2 Vilonia 0

4pm boys
DeQueen 8 N Pulaski 0
Nettleton 2 Huntsville 1
Harrison 2 Batesville 1

Friday:

10 am girls
Harrison 1 LRCA 0
Sylvan Hills 3 Morrilton 0
PA 3 Greenbrier 0

12 pm boys
HS Lakeside 3 Greenbrier 0
Hot Springs 5 Vilonia 3

2 pm girls
Shiloh 1 HS Lakeside 0

4 pm boys
DeQueen 6 Nettleton 0
Harrison 0 (11) LRCA 0 (10) 14 kicks total

Saturday

10 am girls
Harrison 4 Sylvan Hills 0

12 pm girls
PA Shiloh

2 pm boys
HS Lakeside Hot Springs

4 pm boys
DeQueen Harrison

Friday 5/23
2pm 5A Girls
Harrison

Gingerman10

Quote from: hogbert on May 15, 2014, 11:42:37 am
LRCA VB 4, WH 0. Of the 4 goals, two were PK's. Second one knocked out our Freshman forward. He walked off on his own, but was taken to hospital. Oddly enough, no concussion, and forearm break also negative. Suppose WH was mad about graduating? :)

The second Pk was a 50/50 ball and the white hall player headed the ball out, yes he got a lot of the player but they both went up, the white hall kid won the ball and the LRCA player went down. The fact that there was no injury tells you that it was dramatic. A good time waister.

chaoslord

I was on the crew for Morrilton x Nettelton and Vilonia x Clarksville and, based on what I saw when I left and the current updates, I think I got to see the two most exciting games in the round. Especially Vilonia Clarksville. Vilonia went up 2-0 quick (second goal was an absolute beauty), came out of half time and Clarksvilled pushed hard, pulled back 2-2 and took the lead 3-2 from the penalty spot. Vilonia wasn't done though and found a way to level it before sealing the deal. Two cautions a piece. Heck of a game.

hogbert

Quote from: chaoslord on May 15, 2014, 04:16:43 pm
I was on the crew for Morrilton x Nettelton and Vilonia x Clarksville and, based on what I saw when I left and the current updates, I think I got to see the two most exciting games in the round. Especially Vilonia Clarksville. Vilonia went up 2-0 quick (second goal was an absolute beauty), came out of half time and Clarksvilled pushed hard, pulled back 2-2 and took the lead 3-2 from the penalty spot. Vilonia wasn't done though and found a way to level it before sealing the deal. Two cautions a piece. Heck of a game.

Quote from: Gingerman10 on May 15, 2014, 01:26:00 pm
Quote from: hogbert on May 15, 2014, 11:42:37 am

The second Pk was a 50/50 ball and the white hall player headed the ball out, yes he got a lot of the player but they both went up, the white hall kid won the ball and the LRCA player went down. The fact that there was no injury tells you that it was dramatic. A good time waister.

ok, let me see if I got this right. LRCA who was up 3-0 and dominating position, shots, etc., in an effort to waist (your spelling not mine) time, sent a player into the box to get cold cocked on a 50/50 ball that the ref saw as a foul? does that about sum it up? Well done. enjoy graduation.
p.s. NHSF rules say you stop the clock on a player down. Don't remember for sure, but assume the center ref followed that rule, so as not to "waist" time.

Gingerman10

Waste* excuse me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a 50/50 ball is when two players are both going for the ball and they both have an even shot at getting it. Now, they both went up for the ball, and yes, the white hall player got some shoulder in but they were both going for the ball, the white hall player won it and the LRCA player went down. The white hall player had no intentions on hurting the LRCA player, he was simply playing soccer, it happens. There's no reason to make a rude comment about white hall, they played hard, as did LRCA. By the second half it was obvious who the dominate team was but as a 4 seed, WH kept up with arguably the best team in the state. 

hogbert

you did see the smiley face in the original post, right? it was a lame attempt at humor. really sorry if you were offended, was not my intent. I'm moving on, so should you.

by the way, thanks for the compliment, but I don't think LRCA is best in state. I think in 5A that's probably DeQueen based on what's being said on this board. If LRCA does win it all, I reserve the right to change my opinion. :)

Lionheart88

I didn't see the fourth goal (I think I was in the bathroom at the time), so I won't comment on that one, but I thought White Hall did a great job of holding the defending champion scoreless for 50 minutes or so (not sure if the exact time of the first score, but I know it was during the second half).  After that, things unraveled a bit for them.  Glad to hear that the LRCA player wasn't injured.

Admittedly not having seen the games chaos lord refereed, I thought that the Sylvan Hills vs. White Hall girls match had to be one of the most exciting.  Granted, it was somewhat negative, so perhaps "competitive" is a better word than exciting for those without a rooting interest.  Sylvan Hills #7 is a phenomenal player, but White Hall came with a game plan ready to shut her down, and it almost worked.  Sylvan Hills got two really good chances.  One was a saved PK, the other #7 put in the net.  White Hall had a chance or two, but didn't convert.  It was also one of the roughest girls games I've yet seen, I'm pretty surprised there weren't any cards issued.  Even given my White Hall bias I thought our #7 was going in the book two or three times, and I thought SHHS had the occasional questionable challenge as well (Girls SHoccer, feel free to disagree  ;) ).  It was one of those games where you hated to see either lose.  But SHHS led the only stat category that counts.  Good luck to the Lady Bears the rest of the way.

Raiders5

Nettleton boys 2- Huntsville boys 1

sevenof400

As an FYI and a note to self.....
I'll clean up the op to serve as a record of the tournament a bit later this weekend but in the meantime, thanks to Big Chief for posting the schedule for Friday.  Big Chief, were you there today?

Sir Alex

Yep, him smokin peace pipe with paleface. 

hogbert

PA got beat by Lakeside...by 2 goals? Gotta admit, did not see that coming. And HS over Sylvan Hills by 3, also a bit interesting. Figured they'd win, just thought SH would be closer.

The Coach

Quote from: hogbert on May 15, 2014, 10:26:58 pm
PA got beat by Lakeside...by 2 goals? Gotta admit, did not see that coming. And HS over Sylvan Hills by 3, also a bit interesting. Figured they'd win, just thought SH would be closer.

Lakeside beat PA 5-1 I believe it was earlier this season. Lakeside was the far better team from what I was told by those in attendance.

Watched Hot Springs and SH and Hot Springs played really well in the 1st half in building a 3-0 lead and coasted from there.

Go Postal

Quote from: The Coach on May 15, 2014, 10:33:54 pm
Quote from: hogbert on May 15, 2014, 10:26:58 pm

Lakeside beat PA 5-1 I believe it was earlier this season. Lakeside was the far better team from what I was told by those in attendance.

Watched Hot Springs and SH and Hot Springs played really well in the 1st half in building a 3-0 lead and coasted from there.
My only problem is that LRCA and PA boys had a coin flip to decide who was Conference champs in Central and then PA gets beat in the 1st round.  hmm... Makes me wonder what could happen in the rest of the playoffs.

IntramuralHallOfFamer

The Harrison girls need come out a little harder for their next game. I know first round games as a W1 seed are always hard to get excited to play(I would venture to say a W1 seed has never lost in the first round?) but if they carry that play over to the next couple rounds with teams like LRCA and SC in their path they may make an early exit. I definitely wouldn't pick them to lose but we know that's not unheard of. The rest of the girls games went pretty much as I would expect. Can't wait for the next few match-ups.

I like what I saw of the LRCA boys today but I agree with an above poster that those boys from DeQueen are going to be tough for anyone to beat, again that's not unheard of though and can't wait to watch it play out. Greenbrier is a team on my radar. A lot like the Harrison team of last year(Situation not talent) they might just squeak by into the finals if a team gets cocky and thinks it's to big to fail. As for the Harrison boys... Well I'd hate to overlook them with that man(Pratt) on their sideline as I'm sure he'll have them playing their hardest but I'm calling the end of this AMAZING streak of Semi or better. I'm sure GoPostal knows exactly but is it like 15 years now? Anyways, the boys bracket is always more exciting than the girls as far as upsets go. Looking forward to tomorrow! 

BigChief

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 15, 2014, 09:16:48 pm
As an FYI and a note to self.....
I'll clean up the op to serve as a record of the tournament a bit later this weekend but in the meantime, thanks to Big Chief for posting the schedule for Friday.  Big Chief, were you there today?
Yep, I will be there all weekend.

Girls SHoccer

Lionheart88, as usual you are the gentleman.  If I were in your shoes, I would be a bit less reserved.  The fact is my #7 got frustrated because your game plan against her was brilliant.  The girl who marked her was an absolute warrior who I wish I had on my team.  From #7's perspective, she was getting fouled constantly, but I've been working to teach her that since she's going to D1, she better get used to it or she will be toast.  #7 claimed that her frustration was mainly seeing teammates "body slammed with no calls." I'm taking that with a grain of salt, because in the heat of competition, perspective often gets distorted. 

I want to make a major public disclaimer.  I was horrified when I read the AR Dem-Gaz article this morning.  Most of the quotations completely altered the true meaning, and I looked like a total jerk.  I spent 90% of the interview marveling at White Hall's brilliant coaching, incredible game plan, the White Hall's team tenacity and valor, etc.,  but that really didn't come out, and I'm very sorry about that.  I know what it feels like to play against arrogant coaches and teams, and that is the last thing I want to be known for.

I want to go on record by saying that the White Hall girls distinquished themselves incredibly this year.  They had at least 2 sure opportunities to score in our game but there was celophane over their goal.  A little different bounce, and they come out the winners, but it just wasn't to be.  I also know how that feels.

hogbert

Quote from: Girls SHoccer on May 16, 2014, 07:41:56 am
Lionheart88, as usual you are the gentleman.  If I were in your shoes, I would be a bit less reserved.  The fact is my #7 got frustrated because your game plan against her was brilliant.  The girl who marked her was an absolute warrior who I wish I had on my team.  From #7's perspective, she was getting fouled constantly, but I've been working to teach her that since she's going to D1, she better get used to it or she will be toast.  #7 claimed that her frustration was mainly seeing teammates "body slammed with no calls." I'm taking that with a grain of salt, because in the heat of competition, perspective often gets distorted. 

I want to make a major public disclaimer.  I was horrified when I read the AR Dem-Gaz article this morning.  Most of the quotations completely altered the true meaning, and I looked like a total jerk.  I spent 90% of the interview marveling at White Hall's brilliant coaching, incredible game plan, the White Hall's team tenacity and valor, etc.,  but that really didn't come out, and I'm very sorry about that.  I know what it feels like to play against arrogant coaches and teams, and that is the last thing I want to be known for.

I want to go on record by saying that the White Hall girls distinquished themselves incredibly this year.  They had at least 2 sure opportunities to score in our game but there was celophane over their goal.  A little different bounce, and they come out the winners, but it just wasn't to be.  I also know how that feels.

you are right, that article in the Dem-Gaz with your quotes is something else. you summed it up well.

Go Postal

Quote from: IntramuralHallOfFamer on May 15, 2014, 11:08:34 pm
The Harrison girls need come out a little harder for their next game. I know first round games as a W1 seed are always hard to get excited to play(I would venture to say a W1 seed has never lost in the first round?) but if they carry that play over to the next couple rounds with teams like LRCA and SC in their path they may make an early exit. I definitely wouldn't pick them to lose but we know that's not unheard of. The rest of the girls games went pretty much as I would expect. Can't wait for the next few match-ups.

I like what I saw of the LRCA boys today but I agree with an above poster that those boys from DeQueen are going to be tough for anyone to beat, again that's not unheard of though and can't wait to watch it play out. Greenbrier is a team on my radar. A lot like the Harrison team of last year(Situation not talent) they might just squeak by into the finals if a team gets cocky and thinks it's to big to fail. As for the Harrison boys... Well I'd hate to overlook them with that man(Pratt) on their sideline as I'm sure he'll have them playing their hardest but I'm calling the end of this AMAZING streak of Semi or better. I'm sure GoPostal knows exactly but is it like 15 years now? Anyways, the boys bracket is always more exciting than the girls as far as upsets go. Looking forward to tomorrow!
It has been 12 years.  If the Golden Goblins lose in the quarterfinal, it will be a first.  But I can't think of a better team to lose to than our arch playoff rival, LRCA in the quarterfinals.

The Girls have know defeat before the semis in the past as follows...
I can't remember for sure if the Lady Goblins were in the semis in '05 & '06.  But I think so.  I know that they were State Champs in '02 & '04 and Runner-up in '03.
2007:  LR Christian 4, Harrison 0 first round.
2008:  Pulaski Academy 4, Harrison 0 quarterfinal round.
The rest of the years they went semi or better.  But I can't think of a better team to lose to than our arch playoff rival, LRCA in the quarterfinals.

As for that man (Pratt),  Thank you Chris for your great coaching abilities over the years to the Harrison boys and girls!

Good Luck to all teams in the playoffs!

chaoslord

May 16, 2014, 01:17:46 pm #39 Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 01:22:53 pm by chaoslord
Vilonia has got to be exciting to watch for the neutral. Up 1-0, down 3-1, fought to 4-3 then missed a penalty that could have tied it and there are still 20 minutes to go. Wish I was watching that game instead of writing this VBA code right now  :(

E: Unfortunately now they are down 5-3, 16 mins to go. I was hoping to see them again tomorrow. Still plenty of time but it might be too much of an ask at this point.

KCShinn21

chaoslord

Girls
Harrison 1 LRCA 0
PA 3 Greenbrier 0

Boys
Hot Springs 5 Vilonia 3

ballsohard6

Can someone explain what happened to Greenbrier? Was HS Lakeside clearly better? Was Greenbrier's #6 unable to pose a threat?

BigChief

May 16, 2014, 06:44:48 pm #43 Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 07:33:53 pm by BigChief
Quote from: BigChief on May 15, 2014, 11:47:20 am
Thursday games

8 am boys
LRCA 4 White Hall 0

10 am girls
Harrison 6 GCT 0h
LRCA 4 DeQueen 0
Morrilton 2 Nettleton 1 1OT
Sylvan Hills 1 White Hall 0

12 pm boys
Greenbrier 4 Paragould 0
HS Lakeside 3 PA 1
Vilonia 4 Clarksville 3
Hot Springs 3 Sylvan Hills 0

2 pm girls
HS Lakeside 3 North Pulaski 2
Shiloh 2 Batesville 1
PA 8 Hope 0
Greenbrier 2 Vilonia 0

4pm boys
DeQueen 8 N Pulaski 0
Nettleton 2 Huntsville 1
Harrison 2 Batesville 1

Friday:

10 am girls
Harrison 1 LRCA 0
PA 3 Greenbrier 0

12 pm boys
Hot Springs 5 Vilonia 3

2 pm girls
Shiloh 1 HS Lakeside 0

4 pm boys
DeQueen 6 Nettleton 0
Harrison 0 (11) LRCA 0 (10) 14 kicks total

Saturday

10 am girls
Harrison Sylvan Hills

12 pm girls
PA Shiloh

2 pm boys
HS Lakeside Hot Springs

4 pm boys
DeQueen Harrison

Go Postal

May 16, 2014, 07:07:26 pm #44 Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 07:10:50 pm by Go Postal
Quote from: Go Postal on May 16, 2014, 09:57:13 am
Quote from: IntramuralHallOfFamer on May 15, 2014, 11:08:34 pm

It has been 12 years.  If the Golden Goblins lose in the quarterfinal, it will be a first.  But I can't think of a better team to lose to than our arch playoff rival, LRCA in the quarterfinals.

The Girls have know defeat before the semis in the past as follows...
I can't remember for sure if the Lady Goblins were in the semis in '05 & '06.  But I think so.  I know that they were State Champs in '02 & '04 and Runner-up in '03.
2007:  LR Christian 4, Harrison 0 first round.
2008:  Pulaski Academy 4, Harrison 0 quarterfinal round.
The rest of the years they went semi or better.  But I can't think of a better team to lose to than our arch playoff rival, LRCA in the quarterfinals.

As for that man (Pratt),  Thank you Chris for your great coaching abilities over the years to the Harrison boys and girls!

Good Luck to all teams in the playoffs!
in 2014 5A quarterfinal round play...

2013 State Runner-up, Harrison girls 1
2013 State Semifinalist LRCA girls 0

2013 State Runner-up, Harrison boys 0 (11) :o
2013 State Champions, LRCA boys 0 (10) :o
In kicks from the mark, 13 or 14 rounds of shots.

I was wondering if this is a new OT PK record in the State.  I think it is in 5A.

...and Harrison boys move their amazing streak of being in the semis or better to 13 years. Harrison girls are right behind them  ;D  WOW!

Go Postal

BigChief, you have Shiloh winning in quarterfinals, but you have HS Lakeside playing PA in semis.  Just curious.

BigChief

Quote from: Go Postal on May 16, 2014, 07:17:36 pm
BigChief, you have Shiloh winning in quarterfinals, but you have HS Lakeside playing PA in semis.  Just curious.
Fixed. Sorry mind is numb from two full days of soccer.

The Coach

Quote from: ballsohard6 on May 16, 2014, 04:06:02 pm
Can someone explain what happened to Greenbrier? Was HS Lakeside clearly better? Was Greenbrier's #6 unable to pose a threat?

Lakeside was clearly the better team. Greenbrier lost all discipline.

Lionheart88

A Hot Springs Derby semifinal and the chance of an all-South final in the boys bracket.  Impressive showing for the South, having 3 of 4 still alive at this stage.

Just1Coach

Having seen both teams several teams this season, keeping in mind Lakeside beat Hot Springs on their field last Friday, as well as Lakeside making their 3rd trip in 4 years to the semis, I'd have to give the edge to the Rams.  Going to be a great game to watch.  I'm looking for at Lakeside-DeQueen final.  Luck to all teams today.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas