• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Conway Open

Started by Brian G, March 14, 2018, 06:23:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: arreferee on April 02, 2018, 01:39:26 pm
From what I understand, the class that is graduating in a couple of months is one of the most athletic classes Conway has had in a while.  I think they have more kids going to play a sport in college than they've had before.  But, that hasn't translated into success on the football field. 

One of the main problems (I've heard this from many different people over the years) is the middle school and junior high programs.  They might only play 15 kids the entire game at those levels.  So, most of the kids quit before they get to high school because they never get to play.  And, the high school team doesn't have very many players moving up that have any experience.  Instead of getting a lot of kids experience, they have some that never leave the field...they are on offense, defense, kickoffs, trys, punt, kick returns, etc.  Not that this would completely solve the issue of Conway not getting over the hump, but it could make a difference if they had a lot more kids with some experience moving up.  Plus, the middle school and junior high programs should be there to help build the high school programs.  That's not the way they are treated in Conway.

Sounds like new coaching is needed at the Middle and Junior high levels. I hate that for the kids.

ricepig

Quote from: Mulerider4Life on April 03, 2018, 10:56:13 am

Sounds like new coaching is needed at the Middle and Junior high levels. I hate that for the kids.

With a new AD, Ashcraft, the Jr Highs will be falling in line with the new HC.

arreferee

Quote from: ricepig on April 03, 2018, 11:16:59 am
With a new AD, Ashcraft, the Jr Highs will be falling in line with the new HC.

Hopefully you are correct, but it did not change when Ashcraft got there...even though he was told that was an issue with the program (I was told this...I didn't hear it first hand).

ricepig

Quote from: arreferee on April 03, 2018, 03:28:29 pm
Hopefully you are correct, but it did not change when Ashcraft got there...even though he was told that was an issue with the program (I was told this...I didn't hear it first hand).

Well, as AD, you would figure that Ashcraft will do everything possible to insure success at the high school. I guess it's possible the Jr high coaches continue doing as they please, but keeping the new AD on your side will help you out in the long run.

OB11

Quote from: ricepig on April 03, 2018, 04:15:39 pm
Well, as AD, you would figure that Ashcraft will do everything possible to insure success at the high school. I guess it's possible the Jr high coaches continue doing as they please, but keeping the new AD on your side will help you out in the long run.

I understand that it is the AD's job to ensure all the athletic programs are as successful as possible. But wouldn't it be more on the head high school football coach to get the jr. high's on track?

ricepig

Quote from: OB11 on April 04, 2018, 08:43:41 am
I understand that it is the AD's job to ensure all the athletic programs are as successful as possible. But wouldn't it be more on the head high school football coach to get the jr. high's on track?

Yes, but if the Jr high coaches don't wish to follow along, then it would be up to the AD to make it "right". Several years ago, my son was in Jr high, the high school had been running the wishbone, the Sr coach decided to go to the spread, so they practiced all spring and the first half of the summer learning it. The SR high coach changed his mind and decided to go back to the wishbone, so, the two Jr highs went back to the wishbone. Now, our Jr high coach, and our talent fit the spread, didn't matter. Needless to say, after another losing season we got a new Sr high coach, and they've run the same offense for 9 years+.

OB11

If that's the case then yes it absolutely is up to the AD to step in. You would really hope your jr high's would want to be on the same page though. The entire point of the jr high program is to feed the high school. Hope they get it worked out.

nsuqb10

So how many are they interviewing now that bolding didn't get central?

RZback

Never seen many schools that junior high doesn't follow the lead of the HC.

bbishop

Quote from: francocat on March 31, 2018, 11:22:32 am
That is RICH! You actually have a beef with anyone recruiting NLR players? Gimme a break, nobody can hold a candle to NLR magically plugging in the just the right players, in football & basketball.

Bolding took 1 or 2 starters from the 2016-17 team and then 1 or 2 who were not starters.
As far as transfers into NLR...I believe the only one we got was O. Adaway..who came back Central...his little brother was already in NLR...I think he had been at Central and just came back to his assigned school. Other than that the NLR starters had all been there.  I do believe Bolding recruited when he was at NLR.  It is just to easy to change schools between NLRSD, LRSD, and PCSSD.

nsuqb10

NLR freaks running all over
On a side note is Conway brining in 4 or 5

nsuqb10

Min money will be on the oc with McNabb and bolding withdrawing

nsuqb10

Still hearing billy Dawson 🤷🏼‍♂️

Brian G

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: nsuqb10 on April 06, 2018, 12:30:12 pm
Still hearing billy Dawson 🤷🏼‍♂️

I wouldn't hire him if he applied anyway. Ideally you want someone who will be there more than 2-3 years.

Mulerider4Life

Ive heard Houston Nutt is in the running.

nsuqb10

Dawson or the current OC you heard it here first

4real

This is a great job for someone who wants to be a 7A athletic director down the road...
Not for winning rings.

Redwolves8526

Any new news about this job?

nsuqb10

nsuqb10

Redwolves8526

nsuqb10

Makes sense why no one heard anything with those other names being thrown around, he will do a good job for hem I'm sure just won a title

AirWarren

jacketracket

Done deal!!!  Just not official yet.

Mulerider4Life

AirWarren

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: AirWarren on April 10, 2018, 01:22:20 pm
Arkadelphia.

Wow, thats a great hire! Arkadephia is in some trouble with their fall football schedule.

STUNNA

Crazy to leave Arky with what he had coming back.

Mr. Mercer

He's got a couple good players back, but if I recall they're losing pretty much everyone up front on both sides of the ball

hogfan10

Quote from: Mr. Mercer on April 10, 2018, 08:46:44 pm
He's got a couple good players back, but if I recall they're losing pretty much everyone up front on both sides of the ball
You're correct on the offensive side, but defensive (in fact majority of the defense) line returns almost all. I think 3 of 4 starters return on DL, 2 were sophomores this past season.

beach bum

Poster on the 4A boards say he is backing out of the Conway job... Did he ever really verbally accept the job?

R. A.™

JR backed out/turned it down....heard some details but nothing definitive...

nsuqb10

Wow now I'm sure The oc cant call guys back you said no to

Mulerider4Life

I would think Conway would be a dream job compared to Bryant/Benton or any Little Rock job. Great place to live. Good facilities. Future growth potential.

nsuqb10

So who gets it now any of those big names still in the running or does the OC get his shot

RZback

What is the problem in Conway and LRC that the candidates decided not to accept the job when offered.    Some second choices are going to get a nice job.  Anybody know if the jobs have been extended to another applicant yet?

nsuqb10

So with the debacle of the jobs being turned down does hat make VB the best job open lol

nsuqb10

Heard a hire tonight at board meeting anybody got a name

nsuqb10

Redwolves8526

Mulerider4Life

Rick Swines

nsuqb10

At this point you would think so lol

IAFLAR7

Quote from: Mulerider4Life on April 12, 2018, 07:37:45 am
I would think Conway would be a dream job compared to Bryant/Benton or any Little Rock job. Great place to live. Good facilities. Future growth potential.
Compared to Benton/Bryant??

nsuqb10

So they interview/offer/turned down and then what just stop he process there had to be a #2

RZback

Didn't someone say they were interviewing again?  Does seem odd. 

nsuqb10

How many were originally interviewed

Iknewthemwhen

Whoever the new HC he deserves to have control of the entire program.  I don't think they have to run exactly the same systems but the structure of the system must be the same, nomenclature has to be the same and how it is organized.  If the system is multimple then that would be ok I would think and if the defense is the same, even front, odd front.   You cannot have kids doing things that are totally different and dont' understand now things are called.

SCOkie

No disrespect, Iknewthemwhen, but it is amazing what young men, who are committed, can accomplish.  I know of one applicant who took a large out of state program, put in a whole new system, and led them to their first conference championship in 40 years.  One thing I can tell you about young people is that they know if YOU know what you're teaching them.  It won't matter what system the new coach installs as long as he knows what he's talking about.  I hope Conway makes their decision based on the proven talents of a coach and not on what is safe...

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas