• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 Wrestling Thread

Started by VHSCoach2, January 29, 2016, 11:06:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbtiger73

I'm trying to figure out why I really don't care too much for Bayley. I may not be the only one that feels that way. But kinda sorta reminds me of the Cena effect. All the quirkyness and sub par promos. Just can't put my finger on why

BigLion10

August 03, 2017, 09:53:38 am #251 Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 09:56:03 am by BigLion10
Yea, it does feel like the Cena effect all over. I really don't care for either of them

VHSCoach2

Quote from: BigLion10 on August 03, 2017, 08:29:00 am
The big question I'm wondering about is does Brock Lesnar lose at SS to go back to the octagon to fight Jon Jones??

I think it plays out like this:

1) Lesnar loses at SummerSlam, leaves WWE with Heyman to go train for his fight against Jones
2) Stephanie McMahon returns to chastise Kurt Angle about making Raw lose one of their top guys by putting him in the Fatal 4-Way
3) Lesnar resurfaces on Smackdown Live in January, becoming a Smackdown Live Superstar, and enters the Royal Rumble Match
4) Lesnar competes at WrestleMania 34 in one of Smackdown Live's top matches and finishes out his contract
5) Lesnar leaves WWE again (contract now expired) to go fight Jones.

VHSCoach2

10 Fascinating Faces about SummerSlam 1997:

1-Adam-12

August 03, 2017, 02:32:08 pm #254 Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 02:44:34 pm by 1-Adam-12
Quote from: jbtiger73 on August 03, 2017, 09:39:27 am
I'm trying to figure out why I really don't care too much for Bayley. I may not be the only one that feels that way. But kinda sorta reminds me of the Cena effect. All the quirkyness and sub par promos. Just can't put my finger on why

I like Bayley, but I understand your criticism.  To some, Bayley can come off as too over-the-top goody-goody. And I do agree that her promos can use some work.  But she works hard in the ring.

When I got back to watching Raw, it was the hard work and sincerity that got me to notice Bayley. And then when I watched her NXT championship match with Sasha on YouTube, I was hooked.

A lot of those who are turned off by Bayley for the reasons listed above seem to be migrating to the corner of Alexa Bliss.  She's darn good as well (in fact, my second favorite in the women's division) and is better on promos.

As I came back to watching, among the newcomers that have come in since I quit watching, I liked Finn Balor's style. I prefer Ambrose to Rollins. And among what seems to be the "Big 4" (that is, those in the Fatal 4-Way), my preference is Samoa Joe.

Though I don't care for him, the Miz does put on a good show with his interviews.  I can't at all stand Big Cass and especially Enzo.  And I don't care for Bray Wyatt or Elias either.

I had always liked Sheamus and the Hardys among those who were around when I quit watching.  I can't deal with Goldust's theatrics.  And I truly feel sorry for Big Show, even though he was never one of my favorites.  He's obviously on the decline and he may not be around WWE very much longer.

jbtiger73

I definitely know that Bayley is very good in the ring. Honestly, I'd rather see her than Bliss any day. I just plain don't like her. She kinda talks in a low tone and talk very fast, when she's insulting other competitors. Kinda like Jinder Mahal when he talks. He talks so low, I pretty much have to turn the volume up just to really hear what he says.

VHSCoach2

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on August 03, 2017, 02:32:08 pm
I like Bayley, but I understand your criticism.  To some, Bayley can come off as too over-the-top goody-goody. And I do agree that her promos can use some work.  But she works hard in the ring.

When I got back to watching Raw, it was the hard work and sincerity that got me to notice Bayley. And then when I watched her NXT championship match with Sasha on YouTube, I was hooked.

A lot of those who are turned off by Bayley for the reasons listed above seem to be migrating to the corner of Alexa Bliss.  She's darn good as well (in fact, my second favorite in the women's division) and is better on promos.

As I came back to watching, among the newcomers that have come in since I quit watching, I liked Finn Balor's style. I prefer Ambrose to Rollins. And among what seems to be the "Big 4" (that is, those in the Fatal 4-Way), my preference is Samoa Joe.

Though I don't care for him, the Miz does put on a good show with his interviews.  I can't at all stand Big Cass and especially Enzo.  And I don't care for Bray Wyatt or Elias either.

I had always liked Sheamus and the Hardys among those who were around when I quit watching.  I can't deal with Goldust's theatrics.  And I truly feel sorry for Big Show, even though he was never one of my favorites.  He's obviously on the decline and he may not be around WWE very much longer.

Do you have the WWE Network? Such a good investment for $9.99/month.

1-Adam-12

August 03, 2017, 03:33:33 pm #257 Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 04:26:42 pm by 1-Adam-12
No, but I'm thinking about it.  Especially with volleyball coming up where a lot of my upcoming Monday nights will be in a gym.

VHSCoach2

The card for NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn III is shaping up to be a nice one.  Currently:

NXT Championship Match: Bobby Roode vs. Drew McIntyre

NXT Women's Championship Match: Asuka vs. Ember Moon

NXT Tag Team Championship Match: The Authors of Pain vs. SAnitY

Aleister Black vs. Hideo Itami

VHSCoach2

10 Fascinating Facts about SummerSlam 1998:

1-Adam-12

There are rumors of a second Superstar Shakeup to take place after SummerSlam.

But with an added twist: some Raw/SmackDown talent would be sent down to NXT, and a similar number of NXT stars would get the call-up.

If this happens, what moves would you like to see?

Personally, I'd want either Elias or Bray Wyatt sent to SmackDown. Those two are too similar to be on the same brand IMO. As a consequence, Raw might get Randy Orton back. And I would love to see Becky Lynch on Raw, perhaps sending an underutilized Emma to SmackDown.

I've heard a lot about the stable called Sanity on NXT.  They could cause havoc in either the red or blue camp.  Asuka is obviously ready as well.  Dana Brooke and The Ascension, among others, are candidates to get the boot and wind up on NXT. And I wish Enzo Amore would join them.

VHSCoach2

10 fascinating facts about SummerSlam 1999:

VHSCoach2

10 fascinating facts about SummerSlam 2000:

1-Adam-12

Bayley is officially out of SummerSlam with a separated shoulder.  They are having two triple threat matches on Raw tonight, the winners of which will meet next week to decide who will face Alexa Bliss.

From what I'm seeing these will be:

Dana Brooke vs. Nia Jax vs. Mickie James
and
Alicia Fox vs. Emma vs. Sasha Banks

Scott Dawson (of Revival) may also be out with a biceps injury.

Hoping for quick recoveries for Bayley and Scott. 

jbtiger73

I mean, I didn't want Bayley in the match anyway. But definitely didn't want her getting hurt in the process as well. And the revival can't seem to catch a freaking break. Killing all of their momentum.

1-Adam-12

Frankly, I don't see anyone except Nia and Sasha winning those matches.  The only other one I give any chance to is Emma.

I'm with you, even if I didn't like a particular wrestler I certainly wouldn't want him/her to miss a major event due to being injured.

1-Adam-12

Yep, Sasha and Nia.

Turned it off about 9:30 because there was no other match that interested me. 

Rollins, Ambrose, Sheamus, Cesaro all put on a good show.  Well done.  Still like Balor too.  Jason Jordan is getting nowhere.  And the sooner they get Enzo off the show, the better.

What happened with Bayley's announcement was uncalled for.  I'm sorry, a crowd may not like someone, but they need to show a little respect if they are hurt. 

jbtiger73

The Canadian crowd has always been obnoxious to the baby faces. Just in general as well. Especially since the Montreal screw job. They'll never let Vince live that down.

VHSCoach2

10 fascinating facts about SummerSlam 2001:

1-Adam-12

August 08, 2017, 04:42:34 pm #269 Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 05:01:36 pm by 1-Adam-12
Quote from: jbtiger73 on August 08, 2017, 12:22:16 pm
The Canadian crowd has always been obnoxious to the baby faces. Just in general as well. Especially since the Montreal screw job. They'll never let Vince live that down.

True.  They didn't even respond to Jason Jordan.  Of course, nobody is responding to him in the US either.  That storyline appears to be DOA unless something happens very soon.

In one of the long-ago PPVs that was in Toronto, Edge was booed as a face.  And Edge is from Toronto.

And an update:  Scott Dawson is indeed on the sidelines.  So no Revival for a while either.

VHSCoach2

10 fascinating facts about SummerSlam 2002:

VHSCoach2

10 fascinating facts about SummerSlam 2003:

1-Adam-12

August 10, 2017, 03:44:21 pm #272 Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 04:19:24 pm by 1-Adam-12
I have been watching some of Paige's past matches.  She has now been cleared to wrestle and is under a Raw contract.

I just wonder, might they wait until after SummerSlam and then throw Paige into the mix with Bliss, Banks, Jax and eventually a returning Bayley?  Maybe something like what happened when Paige came over from NXT and immediately ended AJ Lee's reign as Divas Champion.

Or, with the controversy surrounding her fiancé Alberto Del Rio/Alberto El Patron, will WWE move to wash their hands of her?

Also, today is the 20th anniversary of the formation of D-Generation X.  One of my favorite stables of all time, whether they were heel or face at any given time.

Longfellow

When they brought D-Generation X back in the mid-2000's, that was probably my favorite period of professional wrestling. Those guys were hilarious and RAW put on some great matches

BigLion10

I still remember DX impersonating the McMahons and messing with Vince's mic

jbtiger73

As a African American, I should be offended by the famous Nation of Domination spoof by DX. When X pac came out as Mizark with the black face paint on. But that was one of the best promos I've ever seen. I still go back to the network and watch it all the time. And plus, on a recent episode of table for 3, Mark Henry said that X pac said that he really didn't want to do it. But they said they were absolutely cool with it. And the nation actually caught heat about it within the black community in real life. Which, I think most people are racially insensitive anyway. You can tell when someone is a racist jerk or not

BigLion10

Yea I remember that one of the most iconic moments from the attitude era from DX along with the WCW invasion where they tried to get in their arena one night lol. Most people forget about Owen Hart joining the Nation for a while before he passed though

VHSCoach2

10 fascinating facts about SummerSlam 2004:

VHSCoach2

10 fascinating facts about SummerSlam 2005:

VHSCoach2

10 fascinating facts about SummerSlam 2006:

bleudog

CWA WRESTLERAISE III - Abbymania - will take place at the Hot Springs Convention Center in Hot Springs, AR on Saturday, September 16 at 7 p.m.

http://www.cwatickets.com/

VHSCoach2

Ric Flair was hospitalized over the weekend with heart-related issues.  He is now in a medically-induced coma.

Pull through, Naitch!

1-Adam-12

There has never been a better showman in wrestling than Ric Flair, IMO.

At first I didn't care for him at all, but eventually I got used to it and looked forward to his next promo.

"Whether you like me, or whether you don't...."

We need the Nature Boy around for a while longer!

1-Adam-12

I had family stuff going on so missed most of Raw.  But maybe, just maybe, Jason Jordan has the vehicle to get some attention.  I caught that six man tag and it was a very good match.

I understand Akira Tozawa won the Cruiserweight championship.  Didn't see it, but caught the promo about his celebration tomorrow night on 205 during the part I was able to watch.

And Sasha beat Nia for the right to take on Alexa Bliss at SS.  With Alexa watching from what looked like a lifeguard stand.  Is Little Miss Bliss auditioning for Baywatch or something?  ??? ::)

jbtiger73

The cruiserweight match was very good. They finally gave them time to create. Neville missed the red arrow, and Tozowa capitalized on it. WWE is conflicted on which one to turn heel. Either Sasha or Bayley. I definitely think after what has happened with her injury and more people booing her each week, I think now that it could be her. And it definitely would be a great character build up for her. I personally think that the injury is a work. And they've noticed the fans reaction to her as of late. And knowing that she definitely needs a change.

VHSCoach2

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on August 14, 2017, 10:25:51 pm
I had family stuff going on so missed most of Raw.  But maybe, just maybe, Jason Jordan has the vehicle to get some attention.  I caught that six man tag and it was a very good match.

I understand Akira Tozawa won the Cruiserweight championship.  Didn't see it, but caught the promo about his celebration tomorrow night on 205 during the part I was able to watch.

And Sasha beat Nia for the right to take on Alexa Bliss at SS.  With Alexa watching from what looked like a lifeguard stand.  Is Little Miss Bliss auditioning for Baywatch or something? ??? ::)

Is she is, I'll volunteer to be the drowning victim.  :)

1-Adam-12

August 15, 2017, 04:20:08 pm #286 Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 04:37:22 pm by 1-Adam-12
Quote from: jbtiger73 on August 15, 2017, 09:46:13 am
WWE is conflicted on which one to turn heel. Either Sasha or Bayley. I definitely think after what has happened with her injury and more people booing her each week, I think now that it could be her. And it definitely would be a great character build up for her. I personally think that the injury is a work. And they've noticed the fans reaction to her as of late. And knowing that she definitely needs a change.

Heel Bayley could be pulled off but Creative would have to be very careful how they do it.  Bayley is a merchandise machine and I don't know if WWE would want to tamper with that a lot.  But then, WWE (read: Vince McMahon) has fumbled the ball with a lot of the wrestlers who have come up from NXT so you never know.

If WWE were to keep Bayley as a face when she comes back, they might consider making her act more mature.  Stay enthusiastic, but make it a little less over the top.  And her promos, as we both agree, need work.

A heel Sasha might be more believable.  I've watched a match with Sasha as heel (the classic vs. Bayley at NXT Takeover Brooklyn) and she sold it very well (and turned face after that match). And I think Sasha would keep selling the merchandise whether heel or face, similar to what Alexa Bliss is doing now.

Sasha and Bayley are the hardest workers in the Raw Women's Division, IMO.  Alexa is getting there, but I still think Mickie James and Emma are harder workers.

What might further complicate things is that both Paige and Summer Rae are about ready to come back from injury themselves and both are signed to Raw.  And from NXT there looms the imposing figure of Asuka who is itching to be on the main roster, though whether on Raw or SmackDown remains to be seen.

I don't think they have quite figured out what to do with Nia Jax yet.

VHSCoach2

Well, Baron Corbin is Mr. Money in the Bank no more. His cash-in attempt on WWE Champion Jinder Mahal was thwarted by John Cena on Smackdown Live tonight.

I reckon this is punishment for Corbin being highly disrespectful toward a US Veteran on Twitter.

VHSCoach2

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on August 15, 2017, 10:08:15 pm
Well, Baron Corbin is Mr. Money in the Bank no more. His cash-in attempt on WWE Champion Jinder Mahal was thwarted by John Cena on Smackdown Live tonight. Mahal won via schoolboy roll-up in just seven seconds.

I reckon this is punishment for Corbin being highly disrespectful toward a US Veteran on Twitter.

VHSCoach2

VHSCoach2

VHSCoach2

VHSCoach2

VHSCoach2

What a fantastic show from top to bottom NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn III was. Not a bad match on the card. I was thoroughly entertained the entire three hours.

1-Adam-12

I haven't got the Network yet, but I kept up with it on a live blog and on Twitter.

I get the impression that the Asuka-Ember Moon match should have been the main event, just as Bayley-Sasha Banks should have been in 2015.  From what I read, action-packed throughout.  And there was a Ring of Honor invasion at the very end after McIntyre took the title from Roode.

Maybe Vince needs a few lessons from Triple H on how to book wrestlers and matches.  He sure has stunk it up with a lot of the NXT talent that has come up to the main roster, specifically Finn Balor and Bayley. 

Hopefully Finn can show what he's made of against Bray Wyatt tonight.  I hear he's going to come as the Demon.

And when you have a #1 contender (Bayley) set to go in a major PPV, it's stupid to book her against someone as dangerous as Nia Jax before that.  Heck, Emma and Dana Brooke were wanting respect, why not have Bayley wrestle one of them instead.

But tonight's show is going to have to go some to beat last night. 

jbtiger73

Actually watching the pre show. Neville just retained the cruiserweight title. Hope they don't hot potato the title around

BigLion10

Yea pretty good pre show so far was hoping to see more from Jason Jordan though

jbtiger73

Why in the world was the smackdown tag team championship match was on the pre show. That match was so so awesome. I guess they wanted people to tune in I suppose

jbtiger73

And of course, Cena beats Baron Corbin. What a shocker 🙄

jbtiger73

Wow. A third title change. Natty just beat Naomi for the smackdown women's title

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas