• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

5A Volleyball

Started by football_freak777, August 23, 2008, 08:33:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

football_freak777

So is anyone gonna beat the most recognized coach in Arkansas in Coach Cheek this year from Siloam Springs our will someone challenge them this year

Valleysports

August 26, 2008, 03:44:20 am #1 Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 08:36:49 am by Valleysports
Yes - Greenwood! 

QuoteI heard Southside all state player Katy Beth Carlson transferred to Greenwood, if so Greenwood will be tough to beat, that will mean they have the two best volleyball players in the area if not the state.

Is Katy #17?  DD said the left side really hammered the ball.  Russellville got caught like a deer in the headlights.   

7AFBFAN

Don't know, there are two stars for Greenwood, one is Katy (dark hair) the other is Jill (light hair). Was Russellville surprised by the left side? Isn't that where all the hitting takes place and surely they remembered Jill from last year. Southside gets a crack at them tonight, should be a good game. If Southside is smart and attacks their weaknesses on the back row they have a good chance to win. 

Valleysports

Oh I'm sure SS does!  I'm out of town, so getting 2nd hand information.  Russellville is inexperienced (compared to West Schools) and havn't even had a descent scrimmage, so the first set was at warp speed, maybe 25-8.  The 2nd set they managed to come out on top.  Then lost the rest 25-19 or 20 or something.  I can come back with those exact scores if necessary.  Most of our starting 6 wouldn't know Jill, because they wouldn't have played Varsity against Greenwood last year.  Anyway dd just said the 2 girls on the left side were great, one outstanding.  She thinks she learned some things from them.  If Southside beats Greenwood, we might just call it a year!  ;D  Wish Russellville had some more games before playing Southside Thursday.  :'(

7AFBFAN

I do not know the record but I figure if Greenwood wins it will be their first win ever against Southside, last year was the first time Siloam ever beat Southside. I figured everyone knew Jill that was in the gym watching Greenwood last year, she is an awesome player. Katy Beth is probably just as good at hitting or possibly a little better. If they only have two solid players though Southside probably has a chance. 

football_freak777

Siloam Springs lost there first game to Bentonville...... but than again that is the 7A state champs. Our girls had a bad night and I didn't even notice at first but I don't believe we had any senior starters.

7AFBFAN

Greenwood beat Southside in three. Greenwood looked about like they did last year. Southside will battle for 4th in the 7A West. Jill Barrett is still the best all around volleyball player I have ever seen.

Don Quixote

Quote from: 7AFBFAN on August 26, 2008, 12:36:45 pm
I do not know the record but I figure if Greenwood wins it will be their first win ever against Southside, last year was the first time Siloam ever beat Southside. I figured everyone knew Jill that was in the gym watching Greenwood last year, she is an awesome player. Katy Beth is probably just as good at hitting or possibly a little better. If they only have two solid players though Southside probably has a chance. 

You don't know your volleyball very well, a couple of years ago in the Mena tournament Greenwood beat Southside to win the tournament, that was when Southside was the "best".  That is prob. not the only time, but that is right off the top of my head.

Valleysports

August 27, 2008, 09:02:28 am #8 Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 10:38:30 am by Valleysports
Is anyone else getting this message when trying to post?
QuoteAn Error Has Occurred!
Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then try again.

QuoteI figured everyone knew Jill that was in the gym watching Greenwood last year, she is an awesome player.
7AFBFAN, now that we have this Volleyball Site, the rest of us will start hearing these kids names.  I've been asking if anyone on our team knows who the good players from Greenwood were, and all anyone knows is #13 and #17.  One mom just told me number #17 hit harder than any high school girl she's ever seen (keep in mind we havn't played in the west conf for 3 yrs).

7AFBFAN

August 27, 2008, 09:15:59 am #9 Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 09:29:48 am by 7AFBFAN
Don, no need to make an insulting statement, are you sure it was Southside, my daughter played a couple of years ago and for the three years she was there they did not play in a Mena tournament, to my knowledge. If you can give me a specific year I will definitely research it and see. I was just assuming Greenwood had never beat Southside before since Siloam never had before last year. #13 is Katy Beth Carlson, #17 is Jill Barrett.

football_freak777

sigh sad to report that Siloam is now 1-2 with a loss to bentonville and rogers and a win against fayettville. what about greenwood

Valleysports

QuoteFayettville is the best team Russellville has played so far.  Great serving and complete team.  Central Conference starts thursday night - thank goodness.

;D Greenwood, Southside, Fayetteville, and now Bentonville 9:45 sat morning.

So 777, dd thinks that if ya'll beat Fayetteville, you'll beat Greenwood.  These have all been early pre-conf games, so who knows.

7AFBFAN

I would be shocked if Fayetteville is better than Greenwood. Fayetteville lost their two best players and last years team would not beat this years Greenwood team. Fayetteville may end up 5th in the conference this year, very tough conference.

volleyballhead

Greenwood is now 11-0 after the Mena tournament, with victories over the defending 2007 6A state champions Lake Hamilton in the Semifinals and the 2007 5A state champions Siloam Springs in the finals.  Then final match was awesome to watch.  Both teams were just killing the ball and playing great defense and coverage.  The regular season matches will be pretty fun this year.  Good luck to both teams!

volleyballhead

Quote from: 7AFBFAN on August 27, 2008, 09:15:59 am
Don, no need to make an insulting statement, are you sure it was Southside, my daughter played a couple of years ago and for the three years she was there they did not play in a Mena tournament, to my knowledge. If you can give me a specific year I will definitely research it and see. I was just assuming Greenwood had never beat Southside before since Siloam never had before last year. #13 is Katy Beth Carlson, #17 is Jill Barrett.

To clarify this question Greenwood beat "Siloam" in the Mena tournament championship several years ago, not Southside.  I don't think Southside has ever competed in the mena tournament. The win over Southside was Greenwoods first ever.

7AFBFAN

I knew Greenwood was for real. What were the scores of the game with Siloam this weekend? Are they going to be competitive in the conference?

volleyballhead

25-23, 22-25, 25-19
Yes conference will be super competetive between these two.  Greenwood did not dominate this match.  Siloam looked good but they have several sophmores filling in and the big game nerves may have gotten them.  As funny as it sounds I think Greenwood has more big game experience right now than Siloam.  It will be fun to watch this year.

fatcat6

Morrilton is scheduled to play Siloam on 9-18 @ Morrilton 5:00 and scheduled to play Greenwood on 9-25 @ Morrilton 5:00. After reading some of the post's I am anxious to see these games.

volleyballhead

Morrilton lost to Alma yesterday.  Not sure their up for Greenwood or Siloam.  No offense to Alma, their just not at these two teams caliber.

volleyballhead

If you looking for good volleyball to watch then head down to Greenwood tomorrow morning to watch Greenwood battle it out with Bentonville.  Sophomore game starts at 10am followed by JV then Varsity.  These two are both undefeated and probably 2 of the top 5 teams in the state of Arkansas.

volleyballhead

If you didn't make it to Greenwood this Saturday you missed one heck of a match.  Greenwood won in 5, 21-25, 25-23, 15-25, 25-23, 23-21.  Those scores are not exact except for game 5.  That's right, 23-21...what a battle.  The fifth game was 4-4, 7-7, 11-11, then just alternated points all the way until Greenwood made a move.  Best game of the year thus far!!!  Greenwood has now beat last years 5A, 6A, and 7A state champions and have bumped their record to 14-0.  What a game!!!

Valleysports

Thanks for keeping us updated on Greenwood's State Championship run, volleyballhead.  Are Greenwood Fans starting to wonder about a possible perfect record? 

volleyballhead

I'm a realist, so I think that it would be extremely tough to go undefeated.  First off, they would have to go through Siloam more than likely 3 more times, twice in conference and once in state, and that within itself would be a feat against the 4 time state champs.  Secondly, they travel to Fayetteville in a couple of weeks to participate in the 4-state tournament which has some high caliber teams including St. Thomas Aquinas who finished their season last year ranked #7 in the nation by PrepVolleyball.com.  I haven't even researched the other teams in that tournament.  I know that a good Southside team went up there last year and went 1-3, so the competition level is extremly high.  I think their top goal is a state championship, I'm sure there will be some bumps along the way.

7AFBFAN

Greenwood is a very good team but will more than likely not be ready for what they will face in the Fayetteville tournament.  A good showing for Greenwood would be to finish that tournament in the top three. They also play in the Fort Smith tournament later in the year and will have to show they can beat Southside again and more than likely Siloam. I say they go undefeated in conference and win state easily but will not have a perfect season due to the Fayetteville tournament for sure and possibly the Fort Smith tournament.

7AFBFAN

More news on the Fayetteville tournament. Last year it involved state champs or some of the best best programs from Arkansas, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Missouri. For those who do not follow volleyball closely the level of play in Missouri, Kansas, and Oklahoma is generally above that of Arkansas. Greenwood has two very fine players, Jill and Katy Beth, in that tournament they will play teams who have 6 Jills and Katy Beths. 

volleyballhead

I agree, it won't be easy.  Going undefeated in conference will be tough.  I don't remember the last time a conference team won at Siloam.  I'm interested to see how Greenwood does in Fayetteville.  I really don't know how they will finish and a top 3 finish would be great.  The Fort Smith tournament will also be challenging with Southside playing the way they are right now.  I think they are suprising a lot of opponents.

7AFBFAN

Greenwood just needs to keep improving and have their sites set on state and not let the Fayetteville tournament determine their success. Our girls went there last year and were shell shocked.

Valleysports

OK, we'll consider undefeated in Conference and State, the Perfect Season.  That would be something to be proud of.

7AFBFAN

Valleysports, to me that would be a perfect season, I don't really like the tournaments going against the record since they are best 2 of 3 and anything can happen in that format. Usually in the best of 5 the better team finds a way to win.

football_freak777

anyone know greenwoods record now?

BadDogGHSDogPound

Greenwood is 16-0 and 5-0 in Conference action with a showdown with Siloam on Tuesday night. We're covering the Volleyball team some on our website. www.GreenwoodBulldogs.com

football_freak777

tuesday is going to be a good game it's going to be a nail biter I believe

BadDogGHSDogPound

I just got a press release. Greenwood Volleyball ranked 50th nationally by prepvolleyball.com

football_freak777

was siloam springs on the list

RD™

Just got word, the #50th Nationally Ranked Lady Dogs knocked off the Lady Panthers tonight.

Quite Frankly

Quote from: RD™ on September 23, 2008, 08:42:41 pm
Just got word, the #50th Nationally Ranked Lady Dogs knocked off the Lady Panthers tonight.
Let it be noted that on Sept 23rd, 2008 at 8:42 p.m that RD has posted on the Volleyball forum.

;D

RD™

Quote from: QF© on September 23, 2008, 08:44:09 pm
Quote from: RD™ on September 23, 2008, 08:42:41 pm
Let it be noted that on Sept 23rd, 2008 at 8:42 p.m that RD has posted on the Volleyball forum.

;D

Showin' some love for the Alma Mater

Quite Frankly

mulerider12

BadDogGHSDogPound

25-19 Greenwood
29-27 Siloam Springs
25-19 Siloam Springs
25-21 Greenwood
15-5 GREENWOOD

mulerider12

WOW....sounds like an awesome game!!!!

Quite Frankly

Here is an article on the big GW/SS game:

Click me

football_freak777

All I know is the girls had better come in prepared tomorrow cause Coach Cheek is going to go back to her football coaching days to find enough torture to put them through for losing to Greenwood. No doubt in my mind though that Greenwood vs. SS will the championship game like it was last year. See you there

Quite Frankly

They actually mentioned the GW volleyball win over SS on Channel 5.  I don't recall that before for a regular season game.

7AFBFAN

September 24, 2008, 08:04:58 am #44 Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 12:43:03 pm by 7AFBFAN
?

bobcat81

5A west - anyone know the results of Vilonia/Morrilton match from Tuesday? 

football_freak777

Quote from: bobcat81 on September 25, 2008, 12:26:10 pm
5A west - anyone know the results of Vilonia/Morrilton match from Tuesday? 

no i don't but vilonia plays SS tonite at SS redeeming ourselves from losing to Greenwood

olemissjacket99

How is Wynne doing this year?

Ty

Went and watched Nettleton play last night.

From what I know about volleyball and the fact they they are 5-0 in conference, it looked like they had a very solid team. Especially their MB. Girl can kill the ball.

7AFBFAN

Ty, it seems like Nettleton was good last year. If they have a real good middle blocker they stand a chance to succeed in the 5A. To compete in state with Greenwood they will need girls that can block well and dig it out on the back row. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas