• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2010 Arkansas Razorback Baseball Thread

Started by Chosen 1, February 16, 2010, 07:09:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RHS

Yes.

Also meant to post earlier that we likely won't see Cox OR Eibner for SEC Tourney play.

bulldogs1159

rsvl_hogfan4

His hand or wrist is bothering him. DVH said we wouldn't see them for Wednesday, but I bet we might in DH situation if needed. He said basically we will figure something out for the SEC tourney and plan on being healthy for Regionals.

It isn't a good idea now, but I was going to say we should pitch Mike Wednesday because he did good against Vandy, then have Smyly ready for the 2nd game. If we had Eibner I really feel confident Mike could get us a win and then we would be in good shape still having Drew. Smyly shut down both UF and LSU's bats.

RHS

No Smyly and McCann won't play in game 1 either.

RD™

Let's start Kowalchuc---we aren't going to win any ways, might as well pitch someone who wont see Regional action.

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: Rebel Dog™ on May 25, 2010, 07:30:42 pm
Let's start Kowalchuc---we aren't going to win any ways, might as well pitch someone who wont see Regional action.
Why won't we win? Vandy is solid, but they aren't unbeatable. It will be tough, but we won without Smyly pitching twice against Vandy. We won without Cox in the starting lineup against. This game is definitely winable.

jbell96

Everyone overreacting about who isn't playing in the SEC tourney needs to calm down. It's all about getting ready for regionals.

I have to say baseball is the one college sport where I see conference tournaments useless. Especially in the SEC where you pretty much play everyone.

Ken Griffey Jr.

The only reason I can see the tournament not being useless is that if we did well enough we could come out hosting a Super, of course we would have to win the region first.  Other than that, rest these guys, our season isn't depending on this week.

jbell96

Quote from: Ken Griffey Jr. on May 26, 2010, 07:30:11 am
Other than that, rest these guys, our season isn't depending on this week.

Which is exactly why I'm not concerned about this week. I'll take a trip to Omaha over burning the team out before the regionals start.

We would have to win the SEC tourney to get a Super & even then it wouldn't be a lock. I hope we go 2-2 in the SEC tourney just so we stay sharp before regionals start.

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: jbell96 on May 26, 2010, 10:18:30 am
Quote from: Ken Griffey Jr. on May 26, 2010, 07:30:11 am
Other than that, rest these guys, our season isn't depending on this week.

Which is exactly why I'm not concerned about this week. I'll take a trip to Omaha over burning the team out before the regionals start.

We would have to win the SEC tourney to get a Super & even then it wouldn't be a lock. I hope we go 2-2 in the SEC tourney just so we stay sharp before regionals start.

Winning the SECT would be about as close to a lock for a super regional as it can get. Showing you can win in a tournament scenario looks good. Not to mention we already have an RPI of 10 and ranked 15 or better in just about every poll. It would only go up after winning the SECT.

However, with our injuries I don't see that happening. I just hope we win at least one. If we can get by Vandy tonight, things will be looking good with the options we have at pitcher tomorrow and if Eibner and McCann can come back.

jbell96

I agree that winning the SEC tournament would pretty much be a lock for us, but with our injuries I don't want to push it too hard and have nothing left.

Who is starting tonight? I can't remember.

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: jbell96 on May 26, 2010, 10:33:41 am
I agree that winning the SEC tournament would pretty much be a lock for us, but with our injuries I don't want to push it too hard and have nothing left.

Who is starting tonight? I can't remember.
I agree. It isn't worth it. We made it to Omaha on the road last year, we can certainly do it again this year if we have to travel for a super regional.

Heatley is starting.

rsvl_hogfan4

Alabama is up 3-1 on Auburn in the 7th.

jbell96

Bama downs Auburn 7-1 in game 1. Really surprised by this given how efficient Auburn's offense has been this year.

Coach Venny Slocombe

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: jbell96 on May 26, 2010, 01:24:44 pm
Bama downs Auburn 7-1 in game 1. Really surprised by this given how efficient Auburn's offense has been this year.
Hoover is a big park and they rely on the long ball for the most part to drive in runs. A lot of their hits were just short of homeruns, but would be out in other parks.

jbell96

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on May 26, 2010, 03:28:59 pm
Quote from: jbell96 on May 26, 2010, 01:24:44 pm
Hoover is a big park and they rely on the long ball for the most part to drive in runs. A lot of their hits were just short of homeruns, but would be out in other parks.

Yeah, I forgot how big that stadium is compared to most college parks.

jbell96

Ole Miss blanks USC-E 3-0. No doubt Pomeranz pitched today. He's the only guy Ole Miss has that can win on a consistent basis.

bulldogs1159

Pomz did pitch today. I watched most of that game in the dentist chair today haha.

Most media around the U of A are saying we should go 0-2 and get out of there and come home and get healthy. So I will be ok and not freak if we go 0-fer while we are there.

RHS

It's the day of the lower seed so far.

rsvl_hogfan4

We keep leaving runners stranded in scoring position. Heatley got out of the first inning with bases loaded, but has done a good job since then. We are missing our best hitters, and our best pitcher and we are still in position to win. Hopefully we can pull this one out. It looks like it is going to be a close one.

rsvl_hogfan4

Heatley pitches 5 scoreless innings and only gives up 3 hits. Sam Murphy comes in and gives up a lead off walk. Vandy moves the runner over to 3rd on 2 outs, then Murphy throws a slider in the dirt with a runner on 3rd and he takes home. Very stupid decision, and it may end up costing us the game. Going to the bottom of the 6th Vandy leads 1-0.

RD™

Scrap group, fighting, but we won't win.

hb14lh

Hogs lose to Gators 5-3.

Hogs had runners at the corners when McCann looped one into right, and the right fielder made an incredible catch then doubled up the runner at first to end the game. Would have been tied up had the Florida fielder not caught the ball.

InYoGrill

Bad timing to be in a tailspin slump. Hope we have an easy team in the first game to at least get a WIN!

B&GT

I don't envy the teams that won.  The conference tournament is stupid.

Coach Venny Slocombe

I agree. The conference tourney is useless. It is useless in basketball also. Nothing more than a way for the SEC to make money.

bulldogs1159

Tell Mississippi State last year that the basketball tournament is useless.

RHS

I wouldn't say we're in a tailspin slump. Sure the month hasn't been great, but we won 2 series on the road, went into the SECT with less than a full deck and still played well despite going 0-2.

Nobody we see in the regionals will have near the pitching we've seen over the last few weeks.

B&GT

Quote from: bulldogs1159™© on May 29, 2010, 03:26:20 pm
Tell Mississippi State last year that the basketball tournament is useless.

I see that as an example of it's uselessness.  A team that didn't play well enough to make the big dance for an entire season got in because they played well for a few days.  As a result, some mid-major somewhere with a legit resume had to stay home.

Ken Griffey Jr.

Except Mississippi state didn't make the tournament either.  They should have over some of the other SEC schools that got in, aka Florida.

B&GT

Quote from: Ken Griffey Jr. on May 29, 2010, 04:54:59 pm
Except Mississippi state didn't make the tournament either.  They should have over some of the other SEC schools that got in, aka Florida.

Ah, I didn't do my homework and confused it with Georgia doing what I described a year or two ago. 

Now, after doing that homework, I say that it seems very clear that the NCAA Selection Committee either just plain doesn't like State or that they didn't realize the tournament even happened.

rsvl_hogfan4

The hogs get to host a regional. SC, UF, Auburn, and Arkansas all are hosting.

I can't go Friday so hopefully I can get single game tickets to Saturday and Sunday games, if we advance to Sunday.

RD™

First warning to all

I don't want any text, no updates, no e-mails, nothing I will be in a class next weekend in Newark, NJ from 9 am to 7 pm.  I plan on watching replay in Hotel on Razorzone. First one that text me HOGS win --- I will fong you. ;)

gatecrasher

Fong?
what in the world does that mean????

redwolf143

Quote from: gatecrasher on May 30, 2010, 03:20:35 pm
Fong?
what in the world does that mean????

Late medieval English term for 'beat the heck out of'

trevster10

I wish I would have paid more attention to this team. Our baseball team is a force usually, as compared to basketball and football. I guess I can't feel too bad though. It isn't extremely easy to keep up with it in Central Ark. Either way, now that the post season is rolling around, and school is about to end, I'll be able to keep up with them much more easily now.

So, I guess you can call me a bandwagon fan if you want, but I'm here to root for those hogs, just like everyone else! GHG!

bulldogs1159

I love going to MLB games but there is nothing like a regional weekend. Cant freakin wait.

RD™

Quote from: bulldogs1159™© on May 30, 2010, 04:21:46 pm
I love going to MLB games but there is nothing like a regional weekend. Cant freakin wait.
Yes, the timing of this school couldn't be any worse.

B&GT

Quote from: bulldogs1159™© on May 30, 2010, 04:21:46 pm

I will NEVER forget the Toops grand slam in 2004.  I still get goosebumps.

bulldogs1159

My prediction:

1. Arkansas
2. Oregon
3. Kansas State
4. St. Louis

Oregon and K State could swap seeds and I think we could get any lower Pac Ten team say Cal, or Arizona, or Oregon State.

Indiana Jones

1. Arkansas
4 Grambling (losing record)
3 Kansas St
2 Washington St

theHammer

And, we're paired with the Arizona St. regional for supers. Not a good draw, but I'll worry about that after regionals are said and done. Anything can happen.

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: theHammer on May 31, 2010, 01:44:27 pm
And, we're paired with the Arizona St. regional for supers. Not a good draw, but I'll worry about that after regionals are said and done. Anything can happen.
Arizona State shouldn't be happy, either with us being paired with them.

jbell96

What happened with LSU? Are they hosting? I've been driving all day and haven't had time to check the brackets.

hillbilly

Quote from: jbell96 on May 31, 2010, 05:32:42 pm
What happened with LSU? Are they hosting? I've been driving all day and haven't had time to check the brackets.
2 seed @ UCLA.

Peety

What times do the Razorbacks play? Any on tv?

rsvl_hogfan4

2:05, and its on razorvision for free on the razorback website.

Ken Griffey Jr.

Wow, Kuhn leads off the bottom of the first with a bomb.  Cox then hits a line drive off the umpire for a single, then Eibner hits another bomb.  3-0 Hogs in the bottom of the first, Wilkins up, no outs.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas