• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AAA?

Started by spurrr, May 18, 2014, 01:42:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

spurrr

Can somebody explain to me why the AAA decides to hold state tournaments when they know kids will have to choose between graduating or playing?
Why can't they start season a week or two earlier?

WPWells

You better not diss the AAA or question them at all or everyone on here will come down on you

sevenof400

Quote from: spurrr on May 18, 2014, 01:42:08 pm
Can somebody explain to me why the AAA decides to hold state tournaments when they know kids will have to choose between graduating or playing?
Why can't they start season a week or two earlier?

We've had this discussion around here before - but it is always worth revisiting this. 

Check out the month of May at your local high school and see the number of events occurring during the month.  One very big problem in testing earlier is the number of EOC and AP tests that must be given.  By moving to the dates used this year, all of that testing was completed. 

Also by moving to this year's dates, conflicts with conference and state track meets were avoided.  Spring sports often share athletes in the smaller schools so there will never be a clean date from that standpoint either. 

To me, the best solution is this Why can't graduation be held on Sunday afternoon?

AAA cannot / does not schedule sporting events on Sunday - thus Sunday afternoon would be the perfect day for graduation activities...

coach cleats

That's what harrison is doing.

sevenof400

Quote from: coach cleats on May 18, 2014, 02:03:50 pm
That's what harrison is doing.

High marks to Harrison for some forward thinking!

spurrr

Why not have games Mon-Thursday let the kids graduate Fri, Sat or Sun then hold the finals the next weekend.
I think there is a reasonable solution, it will require some thought and effort on the AAA and I'm not sure they are willing to do what's best for the sr's and the sports.

sevenof400

Quote from: spurrr on May 18, 2014, 02:15:14 pm
Why not have games Mon-Thursday let the kids graduate Fri, Sat or Sun then hold the finals the next weekend.
I think there is a reasonable solution, it will require some thought and effort on the AAA and I'm not sure they are willing to do what's best for the sr's and the sports.

I can tell you that earlier in the week, testing was still in progress.  Check out the May calendar of events to see how crowded May is. You really can't move to any later in the month because the seniors will be gone (graduated). 

Even as is, the playoffs still overlap some AP testing.

Lionheart88

If the AAA were to schedule around the several hundred graduations that take place in the state every year, it would probably mean having the playoffs after Memorial Day.  It's far easier for the several hundred schools to schedule around the AAA, especially since the AAA schedule is published well in advance.

Sir Alex

Don't be surprised if you see Spring Sports finish in June in the next few years or finish in April.... 

dispossessed

Quote from: spurrr on May 18, 2014, 02:15:14 pm

I know that the topic of this thread is the AAA and the playoff/graduation conflict. This is one area that I agree that there is no way that the AAA can accommodate all the variables present with playoff dates and graduation dates, etc, etc, etc. That is where my understanding of anything reasonable associated with the AAA ends.
The following is an observation of my real world experience with the AAA in trying to get a simple explanation or question answered over the last few weeks. This same experience has been shared by no less than 4 other individuals that I know of. This same experience was shared by all.

Made multiple phone calls, none returned. Sent e-mail, none returned. Made in person visit to AAA office, official was "out", call never returned. At other points, when calls made by these various parties were actually answered by a live person at the AAA, the communication could only be described as rude, short, condescending and unprofessional.

Maybe I would compare it to the treatment one might expect to receive at The Revenue Office, but I wouldn't want to offend The Revenue Office. In any other setting that I am aware of, I would view this as entirely unacceptable.
I guess maybe if you are the AAA, this is business as usual. I think it begs a couple of questions, most of which are rhetorical. Who are these people? Do they have any idea what they are doing? Who are they accountable to? Is it too much too ask for a little common courtesy and professionalism?

Sir Alex

You will have more luck going through your school administration because that is who the AAA directors answer to. 

The directors are executors of the will of the member schools.  Member schools are essentially the AAA.  As the name suggests, it is an association. 

dispossessed

Quote from: Sir Alex on May 18, 2014, 10:20:00 pm
You will have more luck going through your school administration because that is who the AAA directors answer to. 

The directors are executors of the will of the member schools.  Member schools are essentially the AAA.  As the name suggests, it is an association. 

Oh OK...as long as they have a good reason to be rude and unprofessional. Funny that I don't ever recall being treated in this manner by any member school.

spurrr

I went through the same thing (trying to contact them) a couple years ago concerning some football related issues. Same deal. No responses. I wonder if their pay is tax based?

ricepig

Quote from: spurrr on May 19, 2014, 04:42:13 pm
I went through the same thing (trying to contact them) a couple years ago concerning some football related issues. Same deal. No responses. I wonder if their pay is tax based?

Tax based? As stated, they work for the member schools, ask your Super or AD to contact them.

As far as graduation, the AAA calendar is already out for next year, schedule accordingly. We always graduate on Tuesday night's, there isn't a conflict.

True Fan

If you are not a representative of a member school, there is no policy or procedure for them to respond to you. The AAA is for the schools, by the schools, and only answers to the schools.

It's never right to be rude or unprofessional. But, the schools use the AAA to do their bidding. Any questions or issues have to come from a member school.

Go Postal

Sunday afternoon is a good time to have a graduation.  No sports involved and everyone can still attend their church, synagogue or mosque and have time for graduation ceremonies. 

mijally

Maumelle's graduation is Sat night.

Lionheart88

May 19, 2014, 08:41:36 pm #17 Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 08:43:33 pm by Lionheart88
I don't see why graduation needs to be as early in May as it is.  Just have it around the last week of school, problem solved.  I'm pretty sure some other places do that: I remember as a kid one summer we went out to CA to see a cousin graduate, spent a week out there.  I know my mom wouldn't have skipped that many days, or let me do so, so it must've been right after we got out, right at the end of their school year.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas