• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stuttgart Coach

Started by beach bum, May 26, 2016, 06:00:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

nmyeyes

Sugartown said 4a, but I'll say it doesn't matter. As long as it's in the State of Arkansas. your top 5 or 6

AirWarren

Quote from: nmyeyes on June 28, 2016, 04:14:21 pm
give me the 5 better coaching jobs in your mind?

Bentonville
Fayetteville
Pulaski academy
Greenwood
North little rock

You could even throw el dorado and pine bluff in with those.

Wahls

Quote from: nmyeyes on June 28, 2016, 04:11:36 pm
Law enforcement is great. Thank you for your service. When you were choosing where you wanted to work why did you choose  your current location?

This specific job only - I sent out probably 15 applications and looked for somewhere to hire me. Initially, I didn't care where it was, what it paid, or anything else. I did not think it was relevant because I believed that I could do a good enough job that I could make my own opportunities within whatever department or elsewhere and I would deal with that in time.

At the end, I had the option of two larger departments and I ended up choosing the one that paid less, but had specific training and programs that I felt would provide a better short term springboard to push me forward, because I have specific skills that 99% of the sector doesn't have and I wanted to enhance them.

nmyeyes

5 good ones, but would not live in LR. Bentonville, Fayetteville are a long way from what I enjoy doing. Hunting, Fishing. Greenwood, I like. Great program would really have to look at that one. all 5 of these would be a classic pick for some people, maybe the ones that want to maybe someday get into college football. Good choices just would not be my top 5.

Wahls

Quote from: AirWarren on June 28, 2016, 04:20:05 pm
Bentonville
Fayetteville
Pulaski academy
Greenwood
North little rock

You could even throw el dorado and pine bluff in with those.

Nashville, Harber, Fairview, Bryant, Warren...

Wahls

Quote from: nmyeyes on June 28, 2016, 04:27:34 pmHunting, Fishing . . . Good choices just would not be my top 5.

So basically, if Calico Rock gets a football team, you're in?

AirWarren

June 28, 2016, 04:34:21 pm #106 Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 04:35:52 pm by AirWarren
Quote from: nmyeyes on June 28, 2016, 04:27:34 pm
5 good ones, but would not live in LR. Bentonville, Fayetteville are a long way from what I enjoy doing. Hunting, Fishing. Greenwood, I like. Great program would really have to look at that one. all 5 of these would be a classic pick for some people, maybe the ones that want to maybe someday get into college football. Good choices just would not be my top 5.

Understandable.

I do find it odd when people base their coaching picks off "deer camp perks". I guess because we have our own acreage and my grandparents home has acres to hunt on. 

Wahls

Quote from: AirWarren on June 28, 2016, 04:34:21 pm
I do find it odd when people base their coaching picks off "deer camp perks".

Certainly a far cry from "top in the state to win".

AirWarren

Quote from: Wahls on June 28, 2016, 04:33:57 pm
So basically, if Calico Rock gets a football team, you're in?

Calico rock, hermitage, hampton, fordyce, fountain hill, wabbaseka...

All good hunting ground from what I hear.

Wahls

Quote from: AirWarren on June 28, 2016, 04:37:37 pm
Calico rock, hermitage, hampton, fordyce, fountain hill, wabbaseka...

All good hunting ground from what I hear.

Calico Rock has unreal trout fishing. I've went up there probably 4-5 times for weekend trips and can't keep the fish off the end of the line.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: AirWarren on June 28, 2016, 04:34:21 pm
Understandable.

I do find it odd when people base their coaching picks off "deer camp perks". I guess because we have our own acreage and my grandparents home has acres to hunt on. 
what about Chevrolet trucks?

AirWarren

I love them. Had two tahoes, a GMC Sierra, and now a new Silverado.

nmyeyes

If I could "Win" at Calico Rock, You bet I would be in. I've killed allot of turkey within 8 miles of the school. The thing is, just as you posted you think you could make any job a good one. I had the chance to go wherever I wanted. I picked the school that I knew I could win at. That school was close to what I loved doing. To me it was the best job in the state period. I know others don't agree with it being the best job in the state but I believe it was and I know you cannot go to many schools that win as much as Stuttgart. Look back 30 years and I believe it will be in the top. Burke was in the top 3 coaches in win's while he was there. After he was gone the still have won. Been down a couple of years, but I promise they will be back. That's just FACT!!!

KASH dba The Lumberjack

Quote from: AirWarren on June 28, 2016, 03:54:38 pm
Warren has always had a winning program. Very rarely did we have losing seasons. Now, Warren never got over the state title hump like Stuttgart or Nashville. But to assume Warren was a 2-3 win a season type of program prior to 2000 is a bit of a stretch.

Nevertheless. Carry on. It's an interesting debate.
Mid-late 80's we weren't so good. Tommy Arnold took over in 88 I think and we had some good seasons. But the problem was Arnold love to hunt more than he love to coach and there is a story that he got mad one night in the playoffs after a win that Warren should have lost because it was going to interfere with the opening day of deer season. Allegedly, he yelled at the team angrily when he should have been happy.

AirWarren

Hmm. There is that hunting obsession again. I knew coach liked to hunt but man. I did attend some Sunday school classes taught by him though.

nmyeyes

Again its all about wins. You win, and no one will say anything about hunting, except to invite you to go. Some of the good spots to hunt, you just don't have a chance to win big. You can be a really good coach but not be in the right school and no matter how much you work, you don't win enough. High school Football is much more than W's and L's but its not fun to have the L's.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: KASH dba The Lumberjack on June 29, 2016, 12:25:07 pm
Mid-late 80's we weren't so good. Tommy Arnold took over in 88 I think and we had some good seasons. But the problem was Arnold love to hunt more than he love to coach and there is a story that he got mad one night in the playoffs after a win that Warren should have lost because it was going to interfere with the opening day of deer season. Allegedly, he yelled at the team angrily when he should have been happy.
Quote from: KASH dba The Lumberjack on June 29, 2016, 12:25:07 pm
how does winning a game on Friday night interfere with sat. morning? I call bs

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: Oldman on June 29, 2016, 02:23:49 pm
how does winning a game on Friday night interfere with sat. morning? I call bs

Because most coaches work on preparation for next week's playoff game beginning Saturday morning?

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on June 29, 2016, 02:28:14 pm
Because most coaches work on preparation for next week's playoff game beginning Saturday morning?
what time and for how long?

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: Oldman on June 29, 2016, 02:36:14 pm
what time and for how long?

I guess it depends on how bad you want to win.

nmyeyes

I would Friday night after our game. Even out of town games we would be in the film room as soon as we got back and everything washed for Monday practice. Sunday after Church we would start again. We would be up at the FH every night until 11:00 or 12:00. Getting ready was never a problem. I did find time to Hunt some. I'm with Oldman on this one. Not on how long you spend doing it , its all about what you accomplish after its done! 

Wahls

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on June 29, 2016, 02:28:14 pm

That's actually not as out there as it sounds. I know at least three that start (or did) on Saturday afternoons. I figure Saturday morning isn't much of a stretch.

That said, unless you've got a camera pointed at the opposing teams signs or you're facing some crazy system, I am not sure how beneficial 40 hours of film study is at the high school level in a week. Seems there would be some diminishing returns there.

KASH dba The Lumberjack

Well, coaches would have to drive to swap game film on Saturday mornings. So that would mess up some hunting. With Hudl, it's not such a big deal now. You can sit on a stand and break down film in the great outdoors

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: KASH dba The Lumberjack on June 30, 2016, 12:21:44 pm
Well, coaches would have to drive to swap game film on Saturday mornings. So that would mess up some hunting. With Hudl, it's not such a big deal now. You can sit on a stand and break down film in the great outdoors
assistant coaches drove to swap film.

KASH dba The Lumberjack

Quote from: Oldman on June 30, 2016, 12:57:00 pm
assistant coaches drove to swap film.
Maybe the assistants from McGhee...

Jimbo Morphis

KASH dba The Lumberjack

Quote from: Oldman on June 30, 2016, 03:23:28 pm
or McGehee
Thanks! Never paid attention to the E after the G. Even if I did eat at Hoots this weekend.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: KASH dba The Lumberjack on June 30, 2016, 08:39:33 pm
Thanks! Never paid attention to the E after the G. Even if I did eat at Hoots this weekend.
Ate there yesterday. Don't eat there much. Kinda like fishing at kate adams. Overcrowded with Drew and Bradley county people.

AirWarren

Quote from: Oldman on July 01, 2016, 08:05:49 am
Ate there yesterday. Don't eat there much. Kinda like fishing at kate adams. Overcrowded with Drew and Bradley county people.

What is wrong with Bradley county people?

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: AirWarren on July 01, 2016, 09:23:30 am
What is wrong with Bradley county people?
nothing when they stay in Bradley county.

KASH dba The Lumberjack

Quote from: Oldman on July 01, 2016, 10:02:31 am
nothing when they stay in Bradley county.
Well why don't you build a wall? A 'uge wall and make Bradley and Drew county pay for it?

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: KASH dba The Lumberjack on July 01, 2016, 12:13:18 pm
Well why don't you build a wall? A 'uge wall and make Bradley and Drew county pay for it?
we have no rocks or trees. just corn and bean ground.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas