• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bauxite

Started by Pick_DA_EAGLES, August 08, 2015, 05:27:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

minerjack

Heard the private school in Bryant was recruiting the Jr. High QB.

Lumberjackfan1978

Man pretty good QB huh

BM22

Quote from: Lumberjackfan1978 on June 07, 2016, 10:54:41 pm
Man pretty good QB huh
Yeah he is good, but not any better than the 3 previous QB's the Miners have had dating back to 2011-12.

AlumniLights

Too bad Patton won't implement a little veer back into the offense.

minerjack

Any updates on Bauxite?  What's practice and numbers been like?

BM22

Quote from: minerjack2212 on August 06, 2016, 11:15:07 am
Any updates on Bauxite?  What's practice and numbers been like?
Numbers are up to around 40. Gonna be young and inexperienced. Not much size or speed, but it is good to see their numbers up. Getting new turf, new helmets and uniforms and potentially a new scoreboard. Team pics looks like they have gone to white/ light gray pants for both home and away, instead of black.   Still gonna be a tough season. Could go as bad as 0-10 or pull a surprise or two and go 2-8. Much better the day after they hired DP than the day before they hired him, but it is gonna be a long road to recovery. We will see if DP has the patience and fortitude to stay long enough to right the ship.

minerjack

I don't know if I'd count on that last statement. I did see the new unis online. I like the grey charcoal look for helmets with the glossy black logo look.

BM22

Quote from: minerjack2212 on August 07, 2016, 09:35:41 am
I don't know if I'd count on that last statement. I did see the new unis online. I like the grey charcoal look for helmets with the glossy black logo look.
Yep, I'm not counting on it at all.  New unis  do look sharp. Talked to a  couple of the players the other day and bid them good luck on the season. They do have confidence, which is good to see. They said the sophomores are eager to get the season started.

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: BM22 on August 07, 2016, 11:22:23 am
Yep, I'm not counting on it at all.  New unis  do look sharp. Talked to a  couple of the players the other day and bid them good luck on the season. They do have confidence, which is good to see. They said the sophomores are eager to get the season started.
yea they need a lot of confidence, maybe some of those sophomores can step up and help this year

BM22

Does anybody know how the new field is coming along, or maybe not coming along due to the persistent rain?

bigchief72455

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Doesn't look like that new coach was the answer and it doesn't look like the old coach was the problem.

BM22

Gonna take some time to right this ship. At 0-7 and with Joe T, Arkie and Nashville remaining, the Miners  are headed for an 0-10 season. Patton's patience is definately being put to the test.

quicksand

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on October 14, 2016, 10:41:16 pm
Doesn't look like that new coach was the answer and it doesn't look like the old coach was the problem.
Really?  A coach that can only attract 16 players wasn't a problem?

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: quicksand on October 15, 2016, 03:20:15 pm
Really?  A coach that can only attract 16 players wasn't a problem?

I thought it was about wins and losses, not # players

Lumberjackfan1978

Gonna take at least two more years I think to even get this ship even a little right.but maybe it will come though with patience

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Lumberjackfan1978 on October 15, 2016, 09:12:42 pm
Gonna take at least two more years I think to even get this ship even a little right.but maybe it will come though with patience

He won't be there that long, and then they will have to start over with another new coach. Should have left Prescott alone and the parents made their kids man up and do work.

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on October 15, 2016, 10:18:50 pm
He won't be there that long, and then they will have to start over with another new coach. Should have left Prescott alone and the parents made their kids man up and do work.
wouldn't surprise me if he's not there next year

Lumberjackfan1978

Whoever is there it's gonna be a long haul to right the ship in that conference

cuckoobird

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on October 15, 2016, 10:18:50 pm
just because you can coach in 2a doesn't mean you can coach in 4a

BM22

Quote from: Lumberjackfan1978 on October 15, 2016, 10:25:18 pm
wouldn't surprise me if he's not there next year
Would not surprise me as well

Pick_DA_EAGLES

October 16, 2016, 08:43:15 am #521 Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 09:09:39 am by pick_DA_EAGLES
Quote from: cuckoobird on October 15, 2016, 10:56:05 pm

You are right, cause evidently 2A kids are not afraid of a tough off season and their parents don't think they know more than the coach. What a joke. You ever heard of a guy named gus Malzan  (spelling? ) you know the Auburn ciach, well he started at hughes.

quicksand

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on October 15, 2016, 08:36:20 pm
I thought it was about wins and losses, not # players
How quickly you forgot Bauxite almost cancelled the 2016 season due to 16 players.  You actually think that's enough?

quicksand

Quote from: cuckoobird on October 15, 2016, 10:56:05 pm
I guess 16 players is enough to coach in any classification.

BM22

Quote from: Lumberjackfan1978 on October 15, 2016, 10:28:22 pm
Whoever is there it's gonna be a long haul to right the ship in that conference
No doubt

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: quicksand on October 16, 2016, 08:46:49 am
How quickly you forgot Bauxite almost cancelled the 2016 season due to 16 players.  You actually think that's enough?

That's what happens when parents let their kids become quitters just because they don't like something. They are setting their kids up to fail the east of their life's. If you don't like something, just quit, don't even give it a try

BM22

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on October 16, 2016, 08:43:15 am
You are right, cause evidently 2A kids are not afraid of a tough off season and their parents don't think they know more than the coach. What a joke. You ever heard of a guy named gus Malzan  (spelling? ) you know the Auburn ciach, well he started at hughes.
Lol... oh ok! Many of the kids said that Guthrie ran a much tougher and exhausting  off season than Prescott and they desperately wanted Guthrie to get the permanent HCing job. So that shoots down your theory that those Bauxite boys are afraid hard work or a tough off season. Lol...

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: BM22 on October 16, 2016, 09:28:38 am
Lol... oh ok! Many of the kids said that Guthrie ran a much tougher and exhausting  off season than Prescott and they desperately wanted Guthrie to get the permanent HCing job. So that shoots down your theory that those Bauxite boys are afraid hard work or a tough off season. Lol...

Ok, so they just quit because they didn't get their way?

quicksand

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on October 16, 2016, 09:45:36 am
Ok, so they just quit because they didn't get their way?
Would you?

BM22

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on October 16, 2016, 09:11:45 am
That's what happens when parents let their kids become quitters just because they don't like something. They are setting their kids up to fail the east of their life's. If you don't like something, just quit, don't even give it a try
Lol... The numbers declined during the off season (Feb-May). There was no mass exodus between June-November, from summer workouts to the end of the season. My dad, who is a retired coach/teacher after a 35 year career, always told me and my brother that if we started any sport that we WOULD see it through to the end of the season or last game. However, if we decided for whatever reason, we did not care for or want to play a particular sport the following season ,it was our choice not to play.
We all now it is taboo to quit during the season of any sport unless it is due to an injury. My question to you is: if a kid has played a particular sport for 1-6 years, finishes the season through the last game, then decides he does not want to play the following year, for whatever reason, would you label that kid as a quitter?

Wonderdog

I tend to agree with Pick here. Kids who are ALLOWED to quit because they may not be getting their way are being done an injustice in life lessons. Prescott led several great teams at Des Arc. The kids were up for the daily challenge. As far as kids simply choosing to not be involved the following season, i personally would not label that as quitting. The reason for opting not to return is also relevant IMO. For example, if a kid is losing their passion to play, they need to remove themselves. It will be best for both parties involved. If its because they aren't getting to start at their favorite position, that is selfish thinking. However, choosing not to play the following season is the appropriate way to handle it, as opposed to quitting mid-season. Please keep in mind i am making no suggestions or labels towards Bauxite. Just speaking in hypotheticals because i do not have first hand knowledge of their programs "inner workings".

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Wonderdog on October 16, 2016, 02:34:19 pm
I tend to agree with Pick here. Kids who are ALLOWED to quit because they may not be getting their way are being done an injustice in life lessons. Prescott led several great teams at Des Arc. The kids were up for the daily challenge. As far as kids simply choosing to not be involved the following season, i personally would not label that as quitting. The reason for opting not to return is also relevant IMO. For example, if a kid is losing their passion to play, they need to remove themselves. It will be best for both parties involved. If its because they aren't getting to start at their favorite position, that is selfish thinking. However, choosing not to play the following season is the appropriate way to handle it, as opposed to quitting mid-season. Please keep in mind i am making no suggestions or labels towards Bauxite. Just speaking in hypotheticals because i do not have first hand knowledge of their programs "inner workings".

Nice post. Prescotts system would work in ANY classification as long as the players buy into it, but if they don't and are told,  we will only win with the spread, then its going to fail.

Wonderdog

Lets be honest, most, if not all players, leave practice at some point in their careers peed off at the coach for one reason or another. Myself included when i played. They might even say to themselves that they aren't putting up with getting chewed out or this or that, so on etc. But at the end of the day can the player accept responsibility, understand that there is a reason for why a situation happened whether they agree with it or not and decide to move forward and improve that situation. THAT is when boys are learning how to become MEN. All of that begins at home and is/should be getting reenforced in school and practice.

AirWarren

Still a lot of pride in the school and district. Saw it first hand Saturday at lunch. The key for bauxite to be successful again is retention of coaches, retention of kids into the district, and family support. Bauxite has an 8th grade class of 157 students. You can't tell me there isn't any football players in those 157.

Bauxite is a growing school. They are adding volleyball and soccer this up and coming year. Just have to get the football program rolling again.

As far as DP staying, I personally don't think he will. Talked to some folks in the district Saturday and they state he is very happy where he is and is enjoying being home in saline County. Now, we all know that's coach talk of course. But it helps to be home. It may or may not have any pull one way or the other, but his good buddy Paul calley going to a smaller school from 7a may pacify his urge to find a "big name job" again. Time will tell.

BM22

Quote from: Wonderdog on October 16, 2016, 02:34:19 pm
Good post, dog. I agree. As far as I know, the low number of players was not due to position changes or players losing a starting job. I believe there were alot of players who simply lost interest and their passion to play, before Prescott was even hired.  Of course, consistently losing has a tendency to do that, unfortunately.

BM22

Quote from: AirWarren on October 16, 2016, 04:15:12 pm
The key for bauxite to be successful again is retention of coaches
First and foremost. Patton is the 4th HC since 2013. Bauxite is desperate for some coaching continuity.

BM22

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on October 16, 2016, 02:42:53 pm
Nice post. Prescotts system would work in ANY classification as long as the players buy into it, but if they don't and are told,  we will only win with the spread, then its going to fail.
There is no doubt that his system would work at any school.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: BM22 on October 16, 2016, 04:54:19 pm
First and foremost. Patton is the 4th HC since 2013. Bauxite is desperate for some coaching continuity.

I can understand that,  I believe Prescott was the man to provide that stability.  Which is my point of all this

BM22

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on October 16, 2016, 05:07:34 pm
I can understand that,  I believe Prescott was the man to provide that stability.  Which is my point of all this
I am sure he would have, eventually. I hate the way it started and ended for Prescott at Bauxite.

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: BM22 on October 16, 2016, 05:45:35 pm
I am sure he would have, eventually. I hate the way it started and ended for Prescott at Bauxite.
i think Prescott would have succeeded if he had stayed but it wouldn't have been a quick fix more like 3to4 years just like it will take DP if he stays which I don't think he will

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: AirWarren on October 16, 2016, 04:15:12 pm
Still a lot of pride in the school and district. Saw it first hand Saturday at lunch. The key for bauxite to be successful again is retention of coaches, retention of kids into the district, and family support. Bauxite has an 8th grade class of 157 students. You can't tell me there isn't any football players in those 157.

I assume that about half that number are females so they can largely be ruled out as football players.

At any rate it should never take three or four years to fix a high school football program.

We are not talking about rebuilding a pro team through the draft.

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on October 16, 2016, 08:17:54 pm
I assume that about half that number are females so they can largely be ruled out as football players.

At any rate it should never take three or four years to fix a high school football program.

maybe but in the conference their in it won't come easy.if DP stays next year they might get 2or3 wins thus comes year number three so probably looking at least three years

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Lumberjackfan1978 on October 16, 2016, 08:06:26 pm
i think Prescott would have succeeded if he had stayed but it wouldn't have been a quick fix more like 3to4 years just like it will take DP if he stays which I don't think he will

As far as they had falling off, I can see it taking that long.

Brian G

Wouldn't surprise me to see some players from other schools make it to Bauxite.

AirWarren

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on October 16, 2016, 08:17:54 pm

Yeah, we all know you know what you're talking About too.

Key word with you. Assume.

Dayton Kitchens

Ten years as an assistant football coach.

AirWarren

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on October 17, 2016, 04:57:14 am
Ten years as an assistant football coach.

Assistant. No experience as head coach, much less being the reason for turning it around in 3-4 years.

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: AirWarren on October 17, 2016, 07:18:02 am
Assistant. No experience as head coach, much less being the reason for turning it around in 3-4 years.

No.

But I've worked directly for a few head coaches who did.

I've seen programs recover quickly.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on October 17, 2016, 03:39:07 pm
No.

Which ones?

AirWarren

October 17, 2016, 03:56:14 pm #549 Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 04:05:11 pm by AirWarren
Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on October 17, 2016, 03:39:07 pm
No.

Yeah. I work side by side with a heart surgeon. Doesn't mean I can do it. I see it. Know the steps, but until you do it....you don't know what you're doing.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas