• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

oldest high school gym

Started by Rob, September 24, 2015, 03:35:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob

Looking for the oldest high school basketball gym in the state still in full use. Any help?

Basketballfan13

My first guess would be the gym at Umpire

BigLion10

Poyens gym looks like it's been around since moses

Loyalfan1

Rob

Anybody got the dates the gyms were built?

Silky Johnson

If they hired a research team for these things we would be in business lol

Cabotred

Clover Bend gym. Been around since 1940, maybe longer.  School is no longer open but gym and museum is.

http://www.cloverbend.com/node/257

Can see pics at above website.

ricepig

Quote from: Cabotred on September 25, 2015, 02:51:04 pm
Clover Bend gym. Been around since 1940, maybe longer.  School is no longer open but gym and museum is.

http://www.cloverbend.com/node/257

Can see pics at above website.

Did you ever play there? I think we played 5th/6th grade there. I remember watching some high games there as a youngster, they had to turn their feet sideways are they would be touching the sidelines.

Cabotred

September 25, 2015, 05:30:42 pm #8 Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 06:29:25 pm by Cabotred
Yes I played there in Jr High 79-80's time frame. Remember parts of it like it was yesterday., some parts not so good.  Hoss Jones was their coach. I took a charge(very good acting job) from Mark Fowler, who I was atleast 8-10 taller than and out weighed 2:1.  Coach Jones erupted yelling at refs "I couldn't knock him down with him, if I picked him up and threw him at him" all the while pointing at Mark and I and spraying spit all over the place. Funny how I can remember that and can't remember if we won or lost(think we lost).  I think it was the Lawerence County Tournament.  Coach Jones had a saying "we never lost a game just ran out of time."  Clover Bend Schools closed like in 82-83 time frame and consolidated with Walnut Ridge.

Yes the out of bounds lines are about a 6-8 inches from side walls. The benches the teams set in were like the ones in hockey, cut into side wall of playing surface.  When I played there they had a secondary line inside the out of bounds line that the defender could not go over when guarding an in bound pass, to give the offensive player ample room.

Of course you would have played their earlier than I.  D*#n, We are getting old!

ricepig

I couldn't remember when they closed it, I don't remember ever playing there in Jr or Sr high. The old gym at Cave City is the oldest I remember, that, or Lynn's.

Cabotred

Played at both of the, remember both being old but not as old as CB

woodpeckerfsm

Leland Barclay says Mountainburg's gym is a WPA gym (late 1930s-early 1940s). It has been refurbished, but still the same gym.

Oldref

We played at Strawberry's old gym back in about 1968 and Hoss  Jones was coaching there at that time. Our Bus driver made us all (ballplayers and cheerleaders) get out and walk across the old suspension bridge at Jesup on the way up there because he didn't know if it would hold up a bus loaded with kids. That was one of the gyms built during the WPA days of the late 30's and early 40's. Lots of gyms built during that time that I played in. Bay, Cave City (the cave), Valley View, Salem. Most are now history but there are still a few of them around. Strawberry had the restraining line and it was really confusing to us since we had never played anywhere that used it. I remember calling some games at Evening Shade after the three point line was added and you didn't have room shoot a three from the corner because the three point line ran into the sideline before it got to the coffin corner. Good ole days......sad so many of those places no longer have schools.   

ricepig

Quote from: Oldref on September 27, 2015, 07:03:29 pm
We played at Strawberry's old gym back in about 1968 and Hoss  Jones was coaching there at that time. Our Bus driver made us all (ballplayers and cheerleaders) get out and walk across the old suspension bridge at Jesup on the way up there because he didn't know if it would hold up a bus loaded with kids. That was one of the gyms built during the WPA days of the late 30's and early 40's. Lots of gyms built during that time that I played in. Bay, Cave City (the cave), Valley View, Salem. Most are now history but there are still a few of them around. Strawberry had the restraining line and it was really confusing to us since we had never played anywhere that used it. I remember calling some games at Evening Shade after the three point line was added and you didn't have room shoot a three from the corner because the three point line ran into the sideline before it got to the coffin corner. Good ole days......sad so many of those places no longer have schools.   

Yeah, I forgot about Strawberry, we played in Jr high there in the early 70's. I also played in Egypt's gym in elementary ball.

sixthman

I have kind of discused this on another thread somewhere, but Umpire's gym was constructed in 1951 and is the only gym of its type in the state that still holds competitive games. It is unique, quaint, etc.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: sixthman on November 04, 2015, 06:20:10 pm
I have kind of discused this on another thread somewhere, but Umpire's gym was constructed in 1951 and is the only gym of its type in the state that still holds competitive games. It is unique, quaint, etc.

How is it unique?

Basketballfan13

Umpire is the only gym that I know of that is used as an every day high school gym in the state with unique features (unless it has changed since I've been there) such as having a different out of bounds line on throw ins due to lack of space on the side. Support poles literally lining the sideline on the court. Almost all seating is on the small walk around above the court. Not an idea place to play, but was always fun to go there.

OB11

Does anyone have any pictures of Umpire's gym?  I have always heard about it but never have been there.  Would like to see it. 

HorseFeathers

I'm thinking about making the drive...just to see it

Silky Johnson

The old gym in Bay kind of had the same problem of being super tiny. You couldn't shoot a corner 3 without being on your toes and everything was 100% wood making it somewhat of a furnace.

sixthman

Quote from: Basketballfan13 on November 05, 2015, 12:31:57 pm
Umpire is the only gym that I know of that is used as an every day high school gym in the state with unique features (unless it has changed since I've been there) such as having a different out of bounds line on throw ins due to lack of space on the side. Support poles literally lining the sideline on the court. Almost all seating is on the small walk around above the court. Not an idea place to play, but was always fun to go there.

The lines you are talking about are the restraining lines. Players can not cross it on an inbound. The support poles are in place to hold up the balcony, which goes 3/4 of the way around the court. Fans are literaly sitting on top of the court whether courtside or in the balcony. The resulting accustics can make it very loud at times.

When constructed in 1951, the court was regulation. Now it does not fit specs, but was grandfathered in by the aaa. However, because of its size, it may not be used for sr. high tournaments.

Lions84

November 11, 2015, 11:04:57 am #21 Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 03:24:51 pm by Lions84
Clarendon' s was build in 1952-54 and been remodeled a couple of times but the Court is still all original along with it Oil finish.  It is free standing and red brick.

Locker rooms are under the stands and we have build in recessed Benches for each team on the home side.

Legend

I would love to see that Rick Altes guy go around the state and take pics of the old gyms around the state.

Missco

It is a different state but in Missouri their are several gym's in use built in the 40s and 50s. In fact their are four within  40 minutes of my house. They are all neat places to visit.

Legend

November 16, 2015, 12:42:21 pm #24 Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 12:44:32 pm by Legend
These are gyms in Indiana still in use
1924: The Cave, Mishawaka

1925: Rivet Gymnasium, Vincennes

1925: Ball Gymnasium, Muncie Burris

1926: Memorial Gymnasium, Rushville

1926: The Birdcage, Washington Catholic

1927: Northside Gym, Fort Wayne

1928: Muncie Fieldhouse

1928: Reuben D. Behlmer Memorial Gym, Indianapolis Tech

1930: Howe Military Gym, Howe

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas