• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4A Boys Top 10

Started by wait4it, November 30, 2018, 11:04:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

J12

Here's an updated list from Maxpreps. This list seems to get more accurate as season goes on. I know they use some sort of strength of schedule system to compute rankings.

ARKANSAS CLASS 4A RANKINGS
Rank   School   Rec.

1 MUSHS (Little Rock)7-3
2 Westside (Jonesboro)9-1
3 Blytheville 7-2
4 ESTEM (Little Rock)12-5
5 Pottsville 8-2
6 Pea Ridge 11-2
7 Forrest City 5-4
8 Brookland 7-2
9 Harrison 7-3
10 McClellan (Little Rock) 5-2
11 Southside (Batesville)

Informant

Just so we are clear.....

Blytheville lost to Valley View by 11 last night.  2-2 in conference now.

Valley View has lost games to Batesville Southside (who lost everyone) and Brookland (who would/could beat Blytheville 8-10 points). 

But they beat JHS in November.

whsbballfan

Just so we are clear.   Southside did lose players but not everyone as you proclaim.  And you totally fail to mention the recent win in December over Conway.   Sounds like they got  VV on a good night in their gym.  Doesn't mean they are chopped liver.

J12

December 19, 2018, 11:38:21 am #53 Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 11:40:37 am by J12
Quote from: Informant on December 19, 2018, 11:00:53 am
Just so we are clear.....

Blytheville lost to Valley View by 11 last night.  2-2 in conference now.

Valley View has lost games to Batesville Southside (who lost everyone) and Brookland (who would/could beat Blytheville 8-10 points). 

But they beat JHS in November.

Not sure the point you're trying to make? If you don't like Blytheville, that's fine. I think they're a good team. Maybe JHS is overrated (which they are) but nonetheless Blytheville is good and we'll see how they fair against Brookland. Probably why they play the games on the court and not on the paper.

Informant

My point is Blytheville is overrated.  Have been for a few years now.  They will beat some teams with athleticism alone.  I've also stated they will be outcoached in most games.  Games like last night.  Fact remains, they will not barrel through this conference like some folks think.  And based on that alone, a deep state run is highly unlikely. 

Brookland will struggle with them, absolutely.  But it won't be a mercy rule blowout as someone stated it would be.  Blytheville is athletic as anyone but have streaky shooters and little discipline or adjustments from the sideline.  Basically, I'm not buying into them at all. 

Westside remains the only team from this conference with a true shot at contention.  And even they will struggle against the other side.

J12

Quote from: Informant on December 19, 2018, 01:22:09 pm
My point is Blytheville is overrated.  Have been for a few years now.  They will beat some teams with athleticism alone.  I've also stated they will be outcoached in most games.  Games like last night.  Fact remains, they will not barrel through this conference like some folks think.  And based on that alone, a deep state run is highly unlikely. 

Brookland will struggle with them, absolutely.  But it won't be a mercy rule blowout as someone stated it would be.  Blytheville is athletic as anyone but have streaky shooters and little discipline or adjustments from the sideline.  Basically, I'm not buying into them at all. 

Westside remains the only team from this conference with a true shot at contention.  And even they will struggle against the other side.

I guess I missed whoever said they'd roll through conference.  No one is debating the tough regional the 4A-3 has to match up with. The last 4 teams standing last year came out of that regional tournament. 3 from the other district opposite Westside.

cannon

I'll add this to the conversation:  Simply put, Blytheville lost to Valley View because the 6'7" center on Valley View's team didn't allow them to get a lot of shots to fall in the paint. 

With that in mind, I don't think losing one at Valley View necessarily says much about a team.  Beating Valley View certainly means even less.  They're athletic and talented, but also young and inconsistent.  I just don't think you can read much into it, because at their best, they can play with pretty much anybody, but at their worst, they can lose to a jr high team.  Granted, I'm absolutely convinced that they'll be in the top half of the district in February, but I wouldn't expect them to go much further.

Blytheville has a great team.  Unfortunately for them, the game they played last night emphasized their weaknesses and Valley View's strengths. 

godeep

We gave them a pass with 13 point loss to top team in conference on road. That's when I suspected they were really overrated. Getting beat understandable. Getting beat 13 and your #2 in conference, not a good conference.

J12

Quote from: godeep on December 19, 2018, 02:06:51 pm
We gave them a pass with 13 point loss to top team in conference on road. That's when I suspected they were really overrated. Getting beat understandable. Getting beat 13 and your #2 in conference, not a good conference.

Haha. Because a team lost by 13 on the road, suddenly the conference isn't good? Got it.

J12

Quote from: godeep on December 19, 2018, 02:06:51 pm

Also - Blytheville & Westside were tied in the 4th quarter and it was a 4-5 point game under a minute. 

MDXPHD

I don't remember anyone acting like Blytheville was going to roll through the conference. And overrated for two years now? I don't know where you're hearing all this hype from. Sure, they got excited after the jhs win, which I understand was a benefit game. But they haven't necessarily been on here thumping their chests.

wait4it

I know there will be some who oppose this but I am posting based on scores and how I see that teams are playing at this point in the season.  Just like NCAA, things change from week to week in the rankings.

1 Mills
2 Westside
3 Forrest City
4 ESTEM
5 McClellan
6 Pea Ridge
7 Blytheville
8 Brookland
9 Pottsville
10 Harrison

AirWarren

I hear ESTEM is lighting it up.

beach bum

Quote from: J12 on December 17, 2018, 08:59:55 pm
Here's an updated list from Maxpreps. This list seems to get more accurate as season goes on. I know they use some sort of strength of schedule system to compute rankings.

ARKANSAS CLASS 4A RANKINGS
Rank   School   Rec.

1 MUSHS (Little Rock)7-3
2 Westside (Jonesboro)9-1
3 Blytheville 7-2
4 ESTEM (Little Rock)12-5
5 Pottsville 8-2
6 Pea Ridge 11-2
7 Forrest City 5-4
8 Brookland 7-2
9 Harrison 7-3
10 McClellan (Little Rock) 5-2
11 Southside (Batesville)

Harrison is way better than Pea Ridge in the 1-4A.... Pea Ridge honestly does not deserve in the top 10. They're more around the 15-20 area. Good team, but not deserving of top 10. Harrison's 3 losses are all to decent teams in a higher classification.

Bbal789

Blyetheville is overated and Harrison is underatted. Mills is the overwhelming favorite to win 4a. In my opinion the top three players in 4a play for Mills: Madison Peaster, Kevin Cross, and Branton McCrary. Jonesboro Westside is probably second best behind the explosive scoring of Avery Felts and Riley Felkins.

godeep

Good Top 10 battle Saturday FC@Harrison.

RamblinRazorWreck

December 29, 2018, 10:44:47 am #66 Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 10:48:20 am by RamblinRazorWreck
Quote from: RamblinRazorWreck on November 30, 2018, 08:47:06 pm
1 LR Mills
2 Pottsville
3 Forrest City
4 eSTEM
4 Westside
6 Bytheville
7 Harrison
8 McClellan
9 Brookland
10 PA

my opinion rearranged based on personal observations (haven't seen Magnolia, Farmington or Pea Ridge or I might have included them)

Hawk4L

Farmington beat PR in triple ot. 
PR just beat a 15-0 Elkins team yesterday.  PR plays Alma today in Championship of Airedale classic.

beach bum

December 29, 2018, 12:09:38 pm #68 Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 12:13:26 pm by beach bum
Quote from: Hawk4L on December 29, 2018, 12:02:55 pm
Farmington beat PR in triple ot. 
PR just beat a 15-0 Elkins team yesterday.  PR plays Alma today in Championship of Airedale classic.

In all fairness Elkins had played the easiest schedule I have seen up to that point so I am not sure how much weight a win against them really carries.... I am not sure they are even top 10 in 3A when its all said and done cause the league they play in is soft of tissue plus they literally scheduled cupcakes in non conference until they finally played Pea Ridge. Their football team did the same thing starting hot beating up on horrible teams and we all see how that turned out when they played real competition. I don't really care for when coaches schedule that soft of non conference slates. The only time that is acceptable is if you're taking over a complete rebuild of a program. Elkins is way past that so I have no clue why they have not challenged themselves until recently. Playing no one just gives you false confidence for when you play stronger opponents.

Hawk4L

Yeah I knew they hadn't played anyone was just saying they were 15-0. I don't think PR is top 10. I don't think anyone in our conference is unless it's Harriosn which I haven't seen yet so I can't say.

Go Postal

Harrison win 70 to 63 against Forrest City.  The Mustangs looked very good.  Mathis and Dale seemed good together

Question:. Is this the 1st time they are using a 35 second shot clock and will they start using it for all high school games accross the State?  Both teams seemed to do very well with a shot clock.

Anyway here is the link if you want to rewatch the Goblins/Mustangs game.

https://youtu.be/GrMUKD0KtRI

MDXPHD

Quote from: Go Postal on December 29, 2018, 05:42:38 pm
Harrison win 70 to 63 against Forrest City.  The Mustangs looked very good.  Mathis and Dale seemed good together

Question:. Is this the 1st time they are using a 35 second shot clock and will they start using it for all high school games accross the State?  Both teams seemed to do very well with a shot clock.

Anyway here is the link if you want to rewatch the Goblins/Mustangs game.

https://youtu.be/GrMUKD0KtRI

I know several tournaments that have thrown the shot clock in this season. It needs to happen in all games! Hopefully AAA adopts a rule.

Go Postal

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 29, 2018, 05:54:01 pm
I know several tournaments that have thrown the shot clock in this season. It needs to happen in all games! Hopefully AAA adopts a rule.
It seems to make the game better and more strategic on the teams part of how they play.

godeep

MDXPHD What a ballgame. Both teams played  with tourney intensity.

J12

I feel like every year we have discussions about teams out the west  (north & south) being really good, but don't ever make any noise in the state tournament. Always teams from the east and central that generally make it to the end.

Is there that much talent disprency?

Hawk4L

Pea Ridge made it to the championship 2years ago

J12

Not limited to 4A. But across the board. Usually the opposite with football too.

basketballjones

I have kids who play for PG and I have seen a bunch of Elkins the last few years. Talent is talent no matter who you play and the past several years I'd say they have had it. Have been very impressed with their Sr and Jr high programs the last few years (although their jr high coach gets a little too crazy for my liking). So that W for Pea Ridge is a really good neutral court win and I'd say outside of Harrison and maybe Farmington, Elkins is better than the rest of the 1-4A
Quote from: beach bum on December 29, 2018, 12:09:38 pm

In all fairness Elkins had played the easiest schedule I have seen up to that point so I am not sure how much weight a win against them really carries.... I am not sure they are even top 10 in 3A when its all said and done cause the league they play in is soft of tissue plus they literally scheduled cupcakes in non conference until they finally played Pea Ridge. Their football team did the same thing starting hot beating up on horrible teams and we all see how that turned out when they played real competition. I don't really care for when coaches schedule that soft of non conference slates. The only time that is acceptable is if you're taking over a complete rebuild of a program. Elkins is way past that so I have no clue why they have not challenged themselves until recently. Playing no one just gives you false confidence for when you play stronger opponents.

Livewire

1) Mills
2)Westside
3)Pottsville
4)Dardanelle
5)Harrison
6)ESTEM
7)Blytheville
8)Forrest City
9)Farmington
10)Brookland

Just my picks- Based both on personal observance and information gathered here, Max Preps, and conversation with friends across all conferences. Feel pretty good about the top 3 picks....rest could shuffle many directions.

beach bum

January 05, 2019, 02:47:38 pm #79 Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 02:53:00 pm by beach bum
Quote from: basketballjones on December 29, 2018, 10:18:09 pm
I have kids who play for PG and I have seen a bunch of Elkins the last few years. Talent is talent no matter who you play and the past several years I'd say they have had it. Have been very impressed with their Sr and Jr high programs the last few years (although their jr high coach gets a little too crazy for my liking). So that W for Pea Ridge is a really good neutral court win and I'd say outside of Harrison and maybe Farmington, Elkins is better than the rest of the 1-4A

That's because the 1-4A is as bad as its been in a long time.... It's really bad right now. NWA is down right now, and won't do anything on a state wide scale this year.

And yes it does matter who you play. Look at football as an example. Elkins was 5-0 and ranked in the top 10 in football and Arkadelphia was 0-5 after the first 5 weeks of the season. And look how that flipped really fast when the schedule got real the next month or two. Elkins finished 2-4 and Arky 10-0 after that. The beginning was all because the schedule. One team chose to play cupcakes and the real program challenged itself. It's not that hard to see that Elkins played a ton of average 1A schools to start the year to pad the wins in basketball so we won't know much about them until regionals or state.

Also, if you think the Elkins JH coach is a little to wild on the sideline you do know some of the PG coaches do the same thing right? Not talking about the boys HC in basketball, but some of them at the school in general.

Gray lizard

January 07, 2019, 08:21:58 am #80 Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 10:03:07 am by Gray lizard
Quote from: Livewire on January 05, 2019, 02:23:12 pm
1) Mills
2)Westside
3)Pottsville
4)Dardanelle
5)Harrison
6)ESTEM
7)Blytheville
8)Forrest City
9)Farmington
10)Brookland

Just my picks- Based both on personal observance and information gathered here, Max Preps, and conversation with friends across all conferences. Feel pretty good about the top 3 picks....rest could shuffle many directions.

I think Pottsville is a very good team not sure above 5 or 6 though at this point.  Dardanelle is not a 4 for sure.  They have won several games but most have been lower classifications and average teams in those classifications.

scrapdig

Quote from: beach bum on January 05, 2019, 02:47:38 pm

That's because the 1-4A is as bad as its been in a long time.... It's really bad right now. NWA is down right now, and won't do anything on a state wide scale this year.

And yes it does matter who you play. Look at football as an example. Elkins was 5-0 and ranked in the top 10 in football and Arkadelphia was 0-5 after the first 5 weeks of the season. And look how that flipped really fast when the schedule got real the next month or two. Elkins finished 2-4 and Arky 10-0 after that. The beginning was all because the schedule. One team chose to play cupcakes and the real program challenged itself. It's not that hard to see that Elkins played a ton of average 1A schools to start the year to pad the wins in basketball so we won't know much about them until regionals or state.

Also, if you think the Elkins JH coach is a little to wild on the sideline you do know some of the PG coaches do the same thing right? Not talking about the boys HC in basketball, but some of them at the school in general.
Lot of angry coaches on the sidelines out there.  Maybe they are mad they are coaching junior high. 

Livewire

Lol ! Top ten teams continue to shuffle. Gotta love it! Mills and Westside stay at the top. Blytheville moves up after defeating Brookland and destroying Southside.  Lots of games left. Expect more changes in 2-10 positions.

(((Subi2Sweet)))

Pottsville lost to Dover last night by 1 point? That is what I am hearing, but nothing confirmed.

Charlie1001

Quote from: beach bum on January 05, 2019, 02:47:38 pm

Froud is one of the most "animated" in the state.  He has to be one of them you were referring to.  Every game is the State Championship Game to him and it doesn't matter if he's down by 30.

beach bum

January 12, 2019, 02:54:27 pm #85 Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 03:09:07 pm by beach bum
Quote from: Charlie1001 on January 12, 2019, 02:34:32 pm
Froud is one of the most "animated" in the state.  He has to be one of them you were referring to.  Every game is the State Championship Game to him and it doesn't matter if he's down by 30.

And the school should wonder why they only have like 8 players some years when they have about 200+ girls to choose from 10th-12th grade.... I argued with a PG poster last year about how is having such little participation not a red flag cause they said that's "all just fine"?? Especially from a succesful program in the past although they are struggling mightily now. That's exactly what happens is you can't sustain long term success with low numbers. You can't just rely on a rare group of extremely talented players to come through year after year with less than 10 players sometimes. At some point you need depth to sustain it long term and its showing now finally at PG. It takes good roster numbers to sustain losing talented players to graduation.

Look at football, the good, long term programs in the small classifications in general have a way higher roster number than their opponents in the same classification. Same in general for basketball.... It's simply program morale.... People want to be around positivity. Winning should attract numbers, not run it way.

There is coaching tough and holding players accountable..... and well there is also taking overboard. That line is not fuzzy, some coaches just don't care to see that line.

beach bum

Quote from: Livewire on January 05, 2019, 02:23:12 pm
1) Mills
2)Westside
3)Pottsville
4)Dardanelle
5)Harrison
6)ESTEM
7)Blytheville
8)Forrest City
9)Farmington
10)Brookland

But back to the boys top 10 discussion... Unless 4A is just way down as a whole then the 1-4A at this point does not really deserve a top 10 team. Pea Ridge, Farmington, and Harrison at this point are teams kind of at that next level; but do not merit top 10 discussion as of now.

The 1-4A boys would need a miracle just to split regionals with the 4-4A..... 3/4 wins for the 4-4A seems most likely at this point, but a 4-4A sweep seems more likely than a split even at regionals. All those could happen I suppose though. Just can't see the 1-4A winning regionals at all without some big breaks.

Livewire

I wouldn't argue that Farmington isn't a top 10, but Pottsville, IMO, is. I wouldn't rank them 3rd after losing to Dover (how did that happen!?) but the have some good wins and their other losses were to good teams.
I disagree on the regional sweep.

wait4it

Curious question. If a current top 10 (as of now) doesn't make state tournament and a non top 10 team does will you change your order?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: wait4it on January 13, 2019, 05:46:37 pm
Curious question. If a current top 10 (as of now) doesn't make state tournament and a non top 10 team does will you change your order?

Have to consider circumstances....who did the non-top 10 beat on their way to state tournament, who "upset" the top 10. Did the top 10 team win anything in state or get blown out by somebody...

Livewire

Quote from: wait4it on January 13, 2019, 05:46:37 pm
I posted my top 10 picks in mid season. Rankings change weekly. Numerous things can affect teams ranking. Teams improve, injuries happen, players quit, etc., so I see no reason not to adjust one's picks. It's just an opionion anyway. However, I guess I missed something, because if a team makes state, they are already a top 12 team.

Gray lizard

Dardanelle keeps winning may have misspoken.  I thought their competition had been lacking but they keep putting up wins.  Tomorrow night they will play at Pottsville.  Should be a great game.  Sure hope Pottsville shoots well at home.

wait4it

1) Mills
2)Westside
3)Pottsville
4)Dardanelle
5)Harrison
6)ESTEM
7)Blytheville
8)Forrest City

9)Farmington
10)Brookland

Bold schools are in the same region.  Only 4 get to dance.

MDXPHD

Quote from: wait4it on January 14, 2019, 08:41:30 am
1) Mills
2)Westside
3)Pottsville
4)Dardanelle
5)Harrison
6)ESTEM
7)Blytheville
8)Forrest City

9)Farmington
10)Brookland

gonna make for a fun regional, but a lame state!

wait4it

Quote from: MDXPHD on January 14, 2019, 09:37:12 am
gonna make for a fun regional, but a lame state!
As I agree about the regional I disagree with the "lame state" part.  I think that some teams in the north and south will have good teams in the tournament.  Mena and Arkadelphia (7-4A) are looking good from the south region. 

(((Subi2Sweet)))

Quote from: wait4it on January 14, 2019, 08:41:30 am
1) Mills
2)Westside
3)Pottsville
4)Dardanelle
5)Harrison
6)ESTEM
7)Blytheville
8)Forrest City

9)Farmington
10)Brookland

You realize the other teams that are not in bold are also in the same region. Districts 1-4A & 4-4A

OB11

Quote from: (((Subi2Sweet))) on January 14, 2019, 11:04:45 am
You realize the other teams that are not in bold are also in the same region. Districts 1-4A & 4-4A

But don't the top 4 teams make it to state? I think he was pointing out that at least 2 of the top 10 teams in the state will not make the state tournament since they are in the same region.

wait4it

Apologies if I was unclear.....OB11 is correct.  I was looking at the region from a standpoint of 2 of the "top 10" teams wont get to the state tournament.  There is also a possibility that the other 4 teams in the top 10 get upset in the regional tournament.  May not be likely but it is possible.

beach bum

Quote from: (((Subi2Sweet))) on January 14, 2019, 11:04:45 am

The 1-4A is getting overhyped big time from the basketball I am seeing being played up in NWA right now

beach bum

January 14, 2019, 11:39:59 am #99 Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 11:53:51 am by beach bum
Also, I wish they would just do away with regionals. I wish they just took the top 4 teams from each conference from the regular season. I know that regionals are a de facto 1st round of state, but we all know one regional is usually way superior to the rest. If your goal is to get the best teams to state moving on then regionals is not the way to do that obviously. This would also allow you to see sporadic conference matchups like we do in football. You would see Central AR teams vs SW Arkansas teams, NWA vs SEA, NEA vs SW Arkansas, etc, from the get go in postseason.... Well you get the point.

I understand from a student athlete point adding another round at state just means more time away from class so it will never happen. At regionals you can play and come home that night for school the next day. Adding another round at state just adds more time away for kids from the class room.

If two teams tie for 4th in the conference and they split in the regular season just let them have a play in game for the final state spot. If they have identical records and one swept the other obviously let head to head decide and the team that swept the other get in. I like the regular season mattering more than a district tournament. I say that being the beneficiary of being the 7 seed at the district tourney before played at home, and getting hot all the way to the finals of district and then being a 2 seed at regionals. Stuff like that is extremely rare, but diminishes the regular season greatly. That is why I do not care for the district tourney either if you really want the best teams moving on to the postseason.

I understand the nostalgia and mystique around district/regionals tournaments as well as more travel for students so it will never happen 1A-4A

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas