• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1-3A - any changes?

Started by MICHAELSPAPPY, September 19, 2018, 02:33:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MICHAELSPAPPY

It appeared that the consensus on this board before the season was Booneville solidly in first, Charleston and Lamar rounding out the top three, then a drop off and everyone else. Anything in the non-conference season to make anyone change what he had predicted before the season?

xadboy

Mansfield looks dangerous so far. Might spoil that top 3 for Ctown or Lamar.

RTF

Mansfield is surging right now.
Greenland and Cedarville Could be dangerous for the pre-season top 3
Paris and West Fork will be playing for last place.

CapnObvious

Chuck is headed up to Greenlandthis week so we will see how we fair against a new conference foe ..

MICHAELSPAPPY

Quote from: RTF on September 19, 2018, 04:31:49 pm
Mansfield is surging right now.
Greenland and Cedarville Could be dangerous for the pre-season top 3

We'll find out pretty quickly about Cedarville. They play Lamar and Charleston the next two weeks.
Greenland has Charleston, Booneville, Mansfield, Lamar the next four weeks, so they will either be in or out at that point.

DeeGee

Quote from: MICHAELSPAPPY on September 19, 2018, 04:38:51 pm
We'll find out pretty quickly about Cedarville. They play Lamar and Charleston the next two weeks.
Greenland has Charleston, Booneville, Mansfield, Lamar the next four weeks, so they will either be in or out at that point.

Wow, Greenland  has a tough 4 weeks. Wish them the best.

MICHAELSPAPPY

If everything goes to form, the Big 3 will go into the last three weeks undefeated in conference, and will play each other those last three weeks. Who will knock off one of them and mess up the brackets?

MICHAELSPAPPY

Quote from: xadboy on September 19, 2018, 04:01:12 pm
Mansfield looks dangerous so far. Might spoil that top 3 for Ctown or Lamar.

Staff has done a good job with them so far. I am sure they are hungry.

RedTigerFan

September 19, 2018, 09:21:28 pm #8 Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 11:33:39 pm by RedTigerFan

beach bum

This 1-3A just got threw in the spin cycle of the washing machine tonight   ..... Anyone even want to try and pick how this conference will turn out 2nd-5th now  ;D

Clara Allen

Holy cow.  This is going to be an interesting season!

beach bum

Anyone got finals for the Lamar game and Mansfield/WF?

TRH

Quote from: beach bum on September 21, 2018, 10:07:32 pm
Anyone got finals for the Lamar game and Mansfield/WF?
Mansfield won.
33 - 0 was the final.

HorseFeathers

beach bum

Quote from: HorseFeathers on September 21, 2018, 10:14:17 pm
Lamar won 22-8 I think

Oh wow... That was the halftime score too someone posted so if that was final the rain must have made that one an ugly game like it seems a lot of the games ended up around the state.

beach bum

Quote from: TRH on September 21, 2018, 10:13:32 pm
Mansfield won.
33 - 0 was the final.

Good win by Mansfield because they are about the run a tough gauntlet the next 4 weeks!

TRH

Quote from: beach bum on September 21, 2018, 10:16:37 pm

Good win by Mansfield because they are about the run a tough gauntlet the next 4 weeks!
Yes, things are about to get tougher for the red Tigers!

TheTruth2010

1. Booneville
2. Lamar
3. Greenland
4. Charleston
5. Mansfield
6. Cedarville
7. Paris
8. West fork

xadboy

Better welcome Greenland to the party.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: DeeGoldie on September 19, 2018, 07:28:52 pm
Wow, Greenland  has a tough 4 weeks. Wish them the best.
They certainly handled the first contest well. One down and three to go.

MICHAELSPAPPY

Things are already getting confused. Booneville rolling along. Charleston upended, and now how good are they? Greenland upends them, and how good are they? Mansfield hasn't played much of anyone, but they are beating who they play. How good are they? Stick around. This could get interesting.

MICHAELSPAPPY

If I counted right, there are eight 4-0 teams in 3A at the moment, and three of them are in 1-3A.

MICHAELSPAPPY

There almost always will be some surprises as the season progresses, and they always raise questions. Now we are asking, is Greenland really that good? on a consistent basis? Did Charleston just have an off night, or are they really limping this year? (If the razzle-dazzle had fizzled they would be 1-3 right now.) Can Mansfield beat someone that will make us believe?

CoolBreeze

Quote from: MICHAELSPAPPY on September 26, 2018, 08:02:05 am
There almost always will be some surprises as the season progresses, and they always raise questions. Now we are asking, is Greenland really that good? on a consistent basis? Did Charleston just have an off night, or are they really limping this year? (If the razzle-dazzle had fizzled they would be 1-3 right now.) Can Mansfield beat someone that will make us believe?
Excellent analysis.

jeffslilbro

Mansfield opponents have combined for 5-12 record. Haven't played good team yet.

MICHAELSPAPPY

Quote from: jeffslilbro on September 26, 2018, 03:19:07 pm
Mansfield opponents have combined for 5-12 record. Haven't played good team yet.

Very true, but they did beat them. And I doubt they are in the top tier. But until they lose we won't know much about where their threshold is.

xadboy

Lamar opponents are 4-12. Take Danville out and it's 2-10. Things should get very interesting starting week 7 for Lamar. Lamar has Greenland (H) 3-1, Mansfield (A) 4-0, Booneville (H) 4-0 and Charleston (H) 2-2. That's tough close to the season.

TRH

Quote from: jeffslilbro on September 26, 2018, 03:19:07 pm
Mansfields opponents may have been of lessor quality, but Mansfield had the games well in hand by halftime and allowed underclassmen to play most of (if not all) of the 2nd half of every game, with the lone exception being their opener against Hacket.
It should be a close game that could go either way, but I'll take the home team by 7.

MICHAELSPAPPY

Quote from: xadboy on September 27, 2018, 12:21:52 am
Lamar opponents are 4-12. Take Danville out and it's 2-10. Things should get very interesting starting week 7 for Lamar. Lamar has Greenland (H) 3-1, Mansfield (A) 4-0, Booneville (H) 4-0 and Charleston (H) 2-2. That's tough close to the season.

Things are going to finish with a bang, that's for sure.

In the last three weeks:
Booneville has Charleston, Lamar, Cedarville
Charleston has Booneville, West Fork, Lamar
Lamar has Mansfield, Booneville, Charleston

xadboy

Quote from: MICHAELSPAPPY on September 27, 2018, 08:21:04 am
Things are going to finish with a bang, that's for sure.

In the last three weeks:
Booneville has Charleston, Lamar, Cedarville
Charleston has Booneville, West Fork, Lamar
Lamar has Mansfield, Booneville, Charleston
Should be fun watching all this play out. Can't way, gotta love high school sports!

CoolBreeze

Quote from: TRH on September 27, 2018, 05:53:39 am
Mansfields opponents may have been of lessor quality, but Mansfield had the games well in hand by halftime and allowed underclassmen to play most of (if not all) of the 2nd half of every game, with the lone exception being their opener against Hacket.
It should be a close game that could go either way, but I'll take the home team by 7.
Their opponents were of lessor quality. Does that mean they were slumlords?

MICHAELSPAPPY

That is the problem with wins. A squeak is as good as a mile in the WL column, but how you win speaks loads. Did you take care of business, or were you struggling to salvage a game you should have won easily?

MICHAELSPAPPY

Mansfield is the lowest-ranked 4-0 team in the state.

TRH

Quote from: MICHAELSPAPPY on September 27, 2018, 04:24:46 pm
Mansfield is the lowest-ranked 4-0 team in the state.
As they should be, considering their preseason ranking, combined with the quality of their first four opponents, regardless of the final scores.
If the red Tigers want people to sit up and take notice, all they have to do is T.C.O.B. at home, starting this Friday.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: TRH on September 27, 2018, 07:19:17 pm
As they should be, considering their preseason ranking, combined with the quality of their first four opponents, regardless of the final scores.
If the red Tigers want people to sit up and take notice, all they have to do is T.C.O.B. at home, starting this Friday.
+1

MICHAELSPAPPY

September 29, 2018, 09:40:33 am #35 Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 09:42:12 am by MICHAELSPAPPY
Well, things got a little clearer after Week 5.

Booneville still the gorilla on top of the heap.

But who is #2? Charleston and Lamar both won games they ought to have won by about the margins they should have won by, so we did not get much new information there.

However, Mansfield beat Greenland, and there we might have something. Finally a win with some impact. Does Mansfield need to be in the conversation for #2?

Who heads the pack for the final playoff spot?

MICHAELSPAPPY

And all we need is for someone to pop up and play Bville close to make things really interesting.

TRH

Quote from: MICHAELSPAPPY on September 29, 2018, 09:40:33 am

But who is #2? Charleston and Lamar both won games they ought to have won by about the margins they should have won by, so we did not get much new information there.

However, Mansfield beat Greenland, and there we might have something. Finally a win with some impact. Does Mansfield need to be in the conversation for #2?

If Mansfield is able to take care of Charleston next week, then it'll be time to bring them into that conversation. I was more impressed with Greenland, after seeing them in person than I expected to be. If I were to choose my top four "as it stands now" I would go with 1)Booneville, 2)Mansfield, 3)Greenland, 4) Lamar. If I were to hazard a guess as to how the final rankings shake out though, I'd replace Lamar with Charleston at 4, simply because Lamar's schedule is pretty rough the last 4 weeks of the season (Greenland, at Mansfield, Booneville, & then finish up with Charleston. Good competition and a fantastic finish awaits!

beach bum

September 29, 2018, 10:07:12 am #38 Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 10:10:12 am by beach bum
Quote from: MICHAELSPAPPY on September 29, 2018, 09:57:13 am
And all we need is for someone to pop up and play Bville close to make things really interesting.

Right now I would say the only team that even has a chance to play in a game and lose by less than 30 to Booneville in this conference right now is Lamar. I say that cause it appears that Lamar seems to have the 2nd best defense in this conference behind Booneville. I think Lamar could slow down a game enough to keep the game within sights for a while. Now, is Booneville way ahead of everyone? Of course they are. But again, I think the style in which Lamar plays is going to allow them the only chance to slow down powerful Booneville at least from a stand point of getting some clock running and shortening a game. Greenland, Mansfield, and Charleston are too much spread/flare and Booneville will gobble that up. Mansfield, Greenland, and Charleston are all good teams, but Booneville will eat them alive by the end of the 1st quarter at the line of scrimmage. Of course they do that to everyone though so no knock on those 3 teams cause those 3 teams are giving this conference a really strong middle of the pack right now.

beach bum

I am pretty confident this conference is going to come down to tie breaker points by the end of the year cause the middle of this conference seems so close between Lamar, Greenland, Mansfield, and Charleston with what appears they may end up all jumbled at 5-2 or 4-3 records. It's always important to win close games no matter what, but even more vital this year here cause one loss could possibly send a team from a 2 seed to a 5 seed by the end of the year if the jumbled up mess ends up happening.

-Booneville is the run a way train

-Paris and West Fork go 7 and 8 in that order

-Lamar still with so much left of the meat of their schedule

-a Mansfield win next week and they are in control of the 2 or 3 seed, a loss next week and the tiebreaker points start to come into play

-Greenland right in the middle some where

-Cedarville should beat Paris & West Fork in the next 2 weeks. I still would not count them out. They have amassed 400 total yards in every game except Lamar, but can not hold onto the football for anything so a clean game against Greenland or Mansfield could see them play spoiler for either of those two

-Charleston seems to be the Cedarville of the top half of the conference as they can not seem to hold onto the football either. It's the reason they lost to Greenland and only put up two offensive TD's on Cedarville

MICHAELSPAPPY

Quote from: beach bum on September 29, 2018, 10:07:12 am
I think the style in which Lamar plays is going to allow them the only chance to slow down powerful Booneville at least from a stand point of getting some clock running and shortening a game.

Lamar's runners run hard. The week before Booneville Doc needs to put all his lineman in a cage and poke them with a stick all week so they will be good and mean.

xadboy

Don't think anything got clear at all. The top 4 all have to play each other the last 4 weeks of the season.

Booneville (king of the mountain)

Mansfield passed it's first test by defeating Greenland. Can they keep it up?

Lamar hasn't played anyone so far and won't until week 7. Is Lamar legit?

Charleston not very impressive against Cedarville. Can Ctown get more consistent the rest of the year?

Greenland goes down to Mansfield. Must beat Lamar next week to have a chance at getting to the 2 or 3 seed. Can the team that beat Ctown show up the rest of the way?

Gotta love it.

P.S. hello to Marcy!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas