• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

First Round Games

Started by The Future, November 04, 2017, 03:59:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Future

November 04, 2017, 03:59:55 pm Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 04:01:58 pm by The Future
Jonesboro at Russellville
The 5-5,3-4 Hurricanes host the 5-5,4-3 Cyclones. A battle of Mother Nature if you will!
Should be a entertaining game. But I see Jonesboro pulling away in the end and will be the team to dethrone the defending champs
Jonesboro 35
Russellville 21
Winner travels to Pine Bluff

Lake Hamilton at Searcy
Each team has some quality wins this year and have had to battle multiple way ties to improve their seeding. The Wolves have some talent but in the end won't be enough to beat the 2 loss Lions (losing to West Memphis and Pine Bluff)
Searcy 42
Lake Hamilton 17
Winner travels to El Dorado

Texarkana at Marion
Again 2 5-5 teams who were tied with multiple teams throughout the season. Don't know much about Marion. But Texarkana is a very hard hitting talented team and the Pats will need to play a great game to get the win. I'm picking the 'Backs for a rematch at Greenwood.
Texarkana 35
Marion 14
Winner travels to Greenwood

Jacksonville at Benton
This game looks to be the lopsided game this week. Benton has 3 losses to great teams in Bryant Greenwood and Eldo and lost a close one to Lake Hamilton. While Jacksonville comes in as the 6 seed from the East beating Hall and Mountain Home as well as 5A Mills. And each of them wins were not by convincing margins. Benton looks to get through with no injuries and welcomes the drive to West Memphis.
Benton 45
Jacksonville 10
Winner travels to West Memphis

So week 2 playoffs will be
Pine Bluff
Jonesboro

El Dorado
Searcy

Greenwood
Texarkana

West Memphis
Benton

Pr8hd

First, let me preface this by saying I hate Bye weeks. Second, although I understand the reason, I hate 6a playoff format. 5A much more exciting. I'd still rather have a Bye than not but week 11 you should be playing a football game IMO.

As far as the picks, since I did so great on my prognostications this year <sarcasm> in pickems and playoff seeding thread <more sarcasm>, this is likely the KOD (kiss of death). Anyway, I like Russ over JB, and LH over Searcy potentially as my major sleeper pick. Beyond that, I think this one holds chalk to the semi's with a GW/WM semi on one side and PB/ED on the other. I think those are the 4 best teams in 6A. Odds point to a GW/PB finale, but the way ED has played, not going to be surprised to see them get there and I am sure they would like nothing better to see GW in the finals to atone for the regular season thrashing.   

6ASOUTHPURPLECAT

I hope Eldo doesnt overlook PB or anyone in the playoffs looking ahead to another GW/ELDO matchup in the finals, but yes they want GW again to prove they are a better team than showed up that night. I saw either a very flat team that got off the bus with dead legs, or a team that underestimated GW speed...or maybe a little of both.   I think they adjusted somewhat in the second half but it was too late then.  I'm with you, I will take a bye week but it also concerns me.  When your team is getting better each week and has that momentum you don't want a week off.  But we do have some kids that are banged up that we need healthy.

Pr8hd

Quote from: 6ASOUTHPURPLECAT on November 07, 2017, 06:05:26 pm
I hope Eldo doesnt overlook PB or anyone in the playoffs looking ahead to another GW/ELDO matchup in the finals, but yes they want GW again to prove they are a better team than showed up that night. I saw either a very flat team that got off the bus with dead legs, or a team that underestimated GW speed...or maybe a little of both.   I think they adjusted somewhat in the second half but it was too late then.  I'm with you, I will take a bye week but it also concerns me.  When your team is getting better each week and has that momentum you don't want a week off.  But we do have some kids that are banged up that we need healthy.

ED caught us in the BYE in the quarters in 2014, the first time GW had to deal with a bye in the playoffs before in the new 6A format and never had one in 5A. That really bit us in the butt, kids mailed it in and ED came to play.  Byes just take you out of your normal routines, but a little rest to heal up is never a bad thing either. No one better be looking ahead too much, but us board generals who know it all have a little luxury the teams and coaching staffs aren't afforded.... ;)

You know what happens when you assume though....

AHS06

With everyone getting a bye week next year during the regular season, hopefully they'll do away with the bye in the playoffs.   Even though the games wouldn't be competitive it still keep everyone in the same routine.

The Future

As much as I hate the bye, I'd rather have it.

I'd rather my team spend the Friday night practicing and the following week be an extra week ready than play a meaningless first round game against an 0-10 or 1-9 team and risk the chance of an injury to a playmaker and him not play the following week when we need him.

Not having the bye is the worst scenario. Having it is the next best thing.
But come to think of it, I just came up with an idea.
Well it's a pretty simple scenario so I'm sure someone somewhere has thought of it and it's been dismissed for whatever reasons.

What if the 7A and 6A took only 4 teams from each conference like the other conferences? I mean that's 8 teams in each class. That's how many teams are left in the other class's playoffs after the first round anyway.
So what if we just started our playoffs with the 1s vs 4s and 2s vs 3s like everyone else. Then go down to 4 teams. Then have our finals. It still puts us a week behind everyone  else at 13 weeks so that's no change. To make up for it, we just put a bye that week 13 where everyone else is playing their semis. That way both finalist have a bye and an extra week to practice and rest and whathaveyou. And that would do away with the "we were affected by the bye" talk. This way both teams are even so to speak.

That should make sense as I typed it lol. Like I said this idea I thought was pretty simple so I wonder if the proposal has been debated and dismissed already.

Pr8hd

Quote from: AHS06 on November 07, 2017, 10:56:39 pm
With everyone getting a bye week next year during the regular season, hopefully they'll do away with the bye in the playoffs.   Even though the games wouldn't be competitive it still keep everyone in the same routine.

That will be interesting.  My guess is the current 12 team format is in place so it'd still be a bye week first round.Scheduling the bye week during the regular season could be a big thing esp. if your opponent the week after the bye requires some extra attention. Coaches likely have this thing figured out I am sure, but as fans it's still hard to watch others play and you aren't.   Hopefully there will be some good first round games.

ricepig

Quote from: AHS06 on November 07, 2017, 10:56:39 pm

The only thing they've done is start the season a week earlier, allowing you 4 weeks to play your 3 non-conference games, if you choose to. At least that's my understanding.

Hogman2018

AHS06 why are you worrying about next year we will be 5A,!

AHS06

Quote from: Hogman2018 on November 08, 2017, 02:45:58 pm
AHS06 why are you worrying about next year we will be 5A,!
I'm very aware of us being in 5A and the 5A South for at least this next cycle.  The bye week is for everyone not just 6A. 

6ASOUTHPURPLECAT

Quote from: The Future on November 08, 2017, 07:09:16 am
As much as I hate the bye, I'd rather have it.

I'd rather my team spend the Friday night practicing and the following week be an extra week ready than play a meaningless first round game against an 0-10 or 1-9 team and risk the chance of an injury to a playmaker and him not play the following week when we need him.

Not having the bye is the worst scenario. Having it is the next best thing.
But come to think of it, I just came up with an idea.
Well it's a pretty simple scenario so I'm sure someone somewhere has thought of it and it's been dismissed for whatever reasons.

What if the 7A and 6A took only 4 teams from each conference like the other conferences? I mean that's 8 teams in each class. That's how many teams are left in the other class's playoffs after the first round anyway.
So what if we just started our playoffs with the 1s vs 4s and 2s vs 3s like everyone else. Then go down to 4 teams. Then have our finals. It still puts us a week behind everyone  else at 13 weeks so that's no change. To make up for it, we just put a bye that week 13 where everyone else is playing their semis. That way both finalist have a bye and an extra week to practice and rest and whathaveyou. And that would do away with the "we were affected by the bye" talk. This way both teams are even so to speak.

That should make sense as I typed it lol. Like I said this idea I thought was pretty simple so I wonder if the proposal has been debated and dismissed already.

I actually like this proposal.  Bye week during playoffs before the finals.  Give it a "super bowl" atmosphere

PrivateLesson

Quote from: The Future on November 08, 2017, 07:09:16 am

That should make sense as I typed it lol.
Makes sense to me.  I like it.   

Bigfootdogfan

Quote from: PrivateLesson on November 10, 2017, 02:03:11 am
Makes sense to me.  I like it.   

If it makes sense then you can forget it with the AAA

RiverRunner02

Pr8hd

Looks like the West showed it was better than the East in the first round....only LH bows out . 5 of the 8 teams remaining are from the West. Will see if things even out this week and if the chalk holds true.

6ASOUTHPURPLECAT

Quote from: Pr8hd on November 11, 2017, 06:26:10 am
Looks like the West showed it was better than the East in the first round....only LH bows out . 5 of the 8 teams remaining are from the West. Will see if things even out this week and if the chalk holds true.

The West (actually the OLD SOUTH) always was the best conference

Wildcat Football

sportsguy80

So much for the West being the best conference...

Pr8hd

Quote from: sportsguy80 on November 17, 2017, 09:43:08 pm
So much for the West being the best conference...

Not this round, but it still sets up that it could be an east/west match-up in the final. The #1's are still alive. PB/Searcy re-match sets up to be very interesting and GW/WM have never met and Elmore has coached here in GW and is from this area. 

sportsguy80

Quote from: Pr8hd on November 17, 2017, 09:48:46 pm
Not this round, but it still sets up that it could be an east/west match-up in the final. The #1's are still alive. PB/Searcy re-match sets up to be very interesting and GW/WM have never met and Elmore has coached here in GW/from this area.
Absolutely but top to bottom I the east showed dominance. I still think it will be PB/Greenwood final.

Pr8hd

Quote from: sportsguy80 on November 17, 2017, 09:51:33 pm
Absolutely but top to bottom I the east showed dominance. I still think it will be PB/Greenwood final.

Across the top 3 divisions, the central AR teams have had their way with the NWA/west teams. I think it looks likely now that the 7A title goes to an east team, the 6A title could be a pick-em potentially, and the forgone conclusion is that PA captures the 5A.  So, maybe the power is shifting some esp in the largest classification.

sportsguy80

Quote from: Pr8hd on November 17, 2017, 10:03:55 pm
Across the top 3 divisions, the central AR teams have had their way with the NWA/west teams. I think it looks likely now that the 7A title goes to an east team, the 6A title could be a pick-em potentially, and the forgone conclusion is that PA captures the 5A.  So, maybe the power is shifting some esp in the largest classification.
I think so as well. It's definitely a good thing for Arkansas high school football.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas