• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bentonville and Bentonville West Playoff Snafu

Started by Brian G, October 21, 2017, 03:46:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian G

They will finish as the #1 and #2 seed and get byes.

Then each will HOST a home game.

They share a field.....

Note this is a second round game and moving a game field or time is a big deal.  It involves other teams who will not know they will be in that game until the week before after their Round 1 win.

Brian G

Last year, Cabot played at West(Bentonville) on a Thursday night.

Here is last years discussion:  http://www.fearlessfriday.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=149455.50

Brian G

sportsguy80

Speechless right now. Only thing I can say is wow...

sevenof400

It really should not be that big of a deal to push this game to another nearby stadium. 

Razorback Red

October 22, 2017, 08:13:45 am #5 Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 08:42:15 am by Razorback Red
All I can confirm, per NWA Henry is that Mr. Passmore has a plan.  I just hope He announces it sooner rather than later. 

IMO, The quarterfinals shouldn't be that big of a challenge.  Whoever wins week 10 and gets the W1 should get the Fri night game and the W2 should get the Thursday night game.  I would be surprised to see one of the games moved to Rogers.  The other scenario (very unlikely IMO) would be to rent seating and actually allow West to play a home game at their own stadium.  I'm guessing this is not a cost-effective solution and won't be strongly considered.  Would be awesome for the kids tho, if it happened. 

Not to put the cart before the horse, but the bigger challenge comes in the semi's if both teams happen to win their first playoff game and end up hosting semi's (would need another upset somewhere, but possible).  Now Thursday is out (Thanksgiving), one game would have to be played on Sat I assume, or move to one of the other options above?

I'm guessing we know in the next few days.  Follow NWA Henry on Twitter for most accurate and up to date info. 

Brian G

I'm reasonably sure it's going to be on Saturday.

Razorback Red

Quote from: B.G. on October 22, 2017, 08:55:13 am
I'm reasonably sure it's going to be on Saturday.

I very much hope you are right, B.G.  I would much rather watch either BHS or West vs watching the Hogs that day. 

sportsguy80

Quote from: Razorback Red on October 22, 2017, 09:08:51 am
I very much hope you are right, B.G.  I would much rather watch either BHS or West vs watching the Hogs that day.
I'm definitely in agreement with that lol. What do you guys think is more of a last alternative playing at another stadium or switching game days? Based on last year's playoffs I'm guessing playing at another stadium which involves a third party...

High Voltage

Wow, I never even thought about this! How about 1st round play one game at say 2pm and the second game at 7pm? Then the next week assuming both win the day after Thanksgiving do the same thing? That day would not be hard at all since school is out anyway! Big gates for the BHS school district. ;)

sportsguy80

Quote from: High Voltage on October 22, 2017, 10:16:09 am
Wow, I never even thought about this! How about 1st round play one game at say 2pm and the second game at 7pm? Then the next week assuming both win the day after Thanksgiving do the same thing? That day would not be hard at all since school is out anyway! Big gates for the BHS school district. ;)
I like that idea of playing 2 games on the Friday after Thanksgiving. The only thing it makes the opponent have to leave super early if they're driving from hours away. Another factor will be if they decided to do this during the second round is school(including elementary, middle, and jr high) would have to be closed early or the whole day which result in a makeup day. A lot of potential scenarios.

tmycjy

how this works is the highest classafcation team get the Friday night  game the lower one get Thursday if both school are the same class the school who own the stadium get Friday night game

Brian G

Quote from: tmycjy on October 22, 2017, 07:38:21 pm
how this works is the highest classafcation team get the Friday night  game the lower one get Thursday if both school are the same class the school who own the stadium get Friday night game
Both same class.
Both same school.

PrivateLesson

I seen on Twitter that they are bringing in more bleachers for this game.   Should be a good one! 

SouthpawSensation

November 01, 2017, 06:24:10 pm #14 Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 06:26:35 pm by SouthpawSensation
Quote from: tmycjy on October 22, 2017, 07:38:21 pm
Actually — this is according to the AAA — the No. 1 seed gets the Friday game, and we all know that. The No. 2 seed will play its game Saturday UNLESS both parties agree to move it to another day or another location. What it doesn't say is what time that game will be played Saturday.
Now, we know Bentonville administration won't allow a playoff game being played elsewhere. If they didn't do it last year, they surely won't do it this year.
The thought of a Black Friday doubleheader is intriguing, like a game at 1 and a game at 7, if it was to transpire, and it would be allowed if the parties agree to do so. But there's the Piggies to contend with. All the motels will be taken up within a 60-mile radius (although I don't know why to watch this year's game).

Brian G

As you consider the chances of a 2 game day in the stadium, the game times obviously are a huge part of the equation.

Consider:
Many teams begin activities as early as 90 min before.
Games last 3 hours if not a mercy rule for most of 7A.
Give it an hour after game to clear the stadium.

12:30 arrive
2:00 start
5:00 ending
6:00 clear

You are probably looking at a 6 hour gap that is a little tight and destroyed by an OT or two. You've got to clear out completely and allow for the next game to not be inconvenienced.  They need time to get into the parking lot, their seats, etc.

With Friday being a school day, hard to see a 1:00 and 8:00 kind of deal  thought those times are workable from a game management view.

For reference, the AAA has a 6 hour 30 min gap on Saturday's when they play two games for Finals.

All that's to say, I'm of the opinion there will be a Friday normal 7:00 and a Saturday game.

Razorback Red

Now that the bracket it out, let's talk real scenarios. 

Bentonville should advance to semi's.  It would take a great game from Cabot or Sdale to win at Tiger Stadium in round 2, but possible.

For West to host a semifinal game, they need to beat Conway at home in round 2 (not an easy task) and they would need Harber to pull the big upset and win in round 2 at NLR.  Not out of the question, but NLR is very good.  The one advantage Harber will have is they are more battle-tested, with a much tougher schedule. 

If, If, If all of that happens, Mr. Passmore will have an interesting Thanksgiving week trying to host both semi games. 

francocat

Can anyone confirm when the BVW game vs. the winner of Rogers-Conway will be played? It seems like AAA by-laws say Saturday (11/18), but this Thursday (11/16) talk keeps popping up.

Brian G

Quote from: francocat on November 06, 2017, 11:59:35 am
Can anyone confirm when the BVW game vs. the winner of Rogers-Conway will be played? It seems like AAA by-laws say Saturday (11/18), but this Thursday (11/16) talk keeps popping up.
Hence the issue for teams that play a game this week vs teams that don't play this week due to a bye.

TigerHawg

Quote from: B.G. on November 06, 2017, 01:46:19 pm
Hence the issue for teams that play a game this week vs teams that don't play this week due to a bye.

West game is now confirmed for 7 pm Thursday  Nov 16th.

Cabotfan

How can it be confirmed when they don't even know who they will play? Have both Conway and Rogers agreed to this? Ok, really has Conway agreed?

Brian G

Bentonville began shuffling around other events to clear for that Thursday.

They obviously got a headsup.

Still don't agree with forcing a team to a Thursday that doesn't even know if they are playing yet.

sevenof400

Quote from: Cabotfan on November 09, 2017, 12:47:37 pm
How can it be confirmed when they don't even know who they will play? Have both Conway and Rogers agreed to this? Ok, really has Conway agreed?

To me, the consideration for the opponent should take precedence here.  Bentonville created this problem but the bulk of the inconvenience will be laid on the opponent.  Now, I will revise that statement IF both potential opponents were consulted about their preferences. 

Rob Van Winkle

Anyone know if Cabot was consulted last year when they came up to play West? I doubt the AAA is caring enough to do something like that but I could be wrong.

francocat

I have no insight into who might have been consulted in either year. If I had to bet, I would say that in 2017 it was put to a vote to BVW, Rogers & Conway and the NWA teams banded together to pick Thursday since it wouldn't matter to either side's crowd on any day of the week. It's hard enough for most folks to make the trip to NWA on a Friday & if Conway is fortunate enough to win in Round 1, it definitely hurts to go there on a Thursday. Amazing that a super-rich community like BV did not plan better on their stadiums when they split. But, bottom line, BVW earned a 2 seed, period, so you just take your medicine.

SouthpawSensation

November 09, 2017, 03:58:43 pm #25 Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 04:15:39 pm by SouthpawSensation
Dear goodness, folks. Before you start finger pointing and accusing of manipulating and twisting of arms, please read the following, which came from an earlier post ...

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on November 01, 2017, 06:24:10 pm
The No. 2 seed will play its game Saturday UNLESS both parties agree to move it to another day or another location. What it doesn't say is what time that game will be played Saturday.

That is the AAA guidelines — pure, plain and simple. If Rogers or Conway didn't want to play that game on a Thursday night, all they had to do was say no and it would be played Saturday. Apparently, they must have agreed.
As far as Cabot last year, again, they must have agreed. Otherwise, the game would have been played on a Saturday.

Razorback Red

I don't really see the big deal playing on Thursday, it's the playoffs and other states do it all the time.  Win on Thursday and you get an extra day to prep for the semi's and get Fri night to scout.  You could see that as a positive.  Much easier to do that than compete with a Razorback game on Sat. 

P.F.G.

I'm betting this year you would be able to keep some attendance at the high school game over the hog game.

Razorback Red

Quote from: P.F.G. on November 10, 2017, 06:32:31 am
I'm betting this year you would be able to keep some attendance at the high school game over the hog game.

Good point.  I am only one fan, but I would def pick Conway at West over the Hog game that day, unless CBB is gone by then. 

TigerHawg

Quote from: Razorback Red on November 10, 2017, 06:41:33 am
Good point.  I am only one fan, but I would def pick Conway at West over the Hog game that day, unless CBB is gone by then.

"unless CBB is gone by then"

If he isnt gone in January I will still be a Hogs fan but will find another team to watch in 2018. My heart cant take another year of this :)

sportsguy80

Great points guys. I would have never thought that there would be more excitement about high school football in NWA than the hogs.

Razorback Red

sevenof400

Thanks for posting that Razorback Red, and thanks to Henry Apple for providing that story.

sevenof400

There endeth the concern...and there go a bunch of picks...

TigerHawg

Quote from: sevenof400 on November 17, 2017, 01:24:31 pm
There endeth the concern...and there go a bunch of picks...

yup. Focus in the offseason will be o line i betcha!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas