• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Refs/Schools bias??

Started by ricepig, March 05, 2015, 11:04:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

March 05, 2015, 11:04:06 am Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 11:06:34 am by ricepig
Just saw this, was wondering what the thoughts were on those in NWA?

http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2015/mar/05/referee-lodges-complaint-against-spring/

Har-Ber principal Danny Brackett, meanwhile, said in an email school officials "are investigating alleged comments that indicate there is an effort by 7A officials in a way to limit the success of particular students, coaches and Har-Ber High School."

beach bum

Its sports... some parents take things so seriously that its life or death. Also, I played against the ref that filed the complaint. He is extremely young to be reffing 7A West games. I couldn't stand him in my playing days but I will say he was the best player in our conference and regional. My main assestment is how worked up would the parent get about some real problems in life.

A-Good-One

It's a whole bunch of nothing.

Har-Ber has felt persecuted for months. The whole deal of other schools saying "THEY RECRUIT!" Then Har-Ber saying "NO, WE DON'T!" It's stupid. No one is out to get Har-Ber.

Except maybe B.G.

sevenof400

Looks like a principal who needs to be reminded of his primary job duties.

Rulesman

Quote from: sevenof400 on March 05, 2015, 11:57:35 pm
Looks like a principal who needs to be reminded of his primary job duties.
...or a head coach.

channing

Ive never been one to defend refs up here in NW Ark, and I still think there are maybe 3 or 4 that do a good job of staying out of the way and letting the players decide the outcome,  but knowing who the parent was in this situation, I probably understand the refs accusation. That parent(who I wont mention by name,but we know who he is) is as shaddy as they come, if people knew half of the dealing he has been involved in then they would not be surprised at all. If people think that his son came to Harber last year without perks given, then your mistaken.

ballmember

Is the Har-ber principal a former coach or a wannabe coach?  If i were his boss he needs something put in his file.   He is going way outside his job duties.   

gojackets14

I highly doubt the referees would call a game in favor or against Har Ber. If it were true, Har Ber brought all of this upon themselves.

spurrr

I have never thought the level of officiating was up to the level of play in NWA in football. I don't know enough about basketball to comment. Recruiting up here, in some form or fashion it goes on at all of them. I'm against it and wish the AAA would not allow these kids to transfer as easily as they do. Too many times a kid or parent gets mad at a coach and transfers 5 miles down the road to another 7A school. Doesn't promote accountability or responsibility but I doubt it will ever change.

As for the HB principal. He is a former coach and if he believes he is standing up of his coach I totally support him. I seriously doubt he would stand behind the parent. Most know him and his antics well up here.

sevenof400

Quote from: spurrr on March 06, 2015, 05:39:40 pm..As for the HB principal. He is a former coach and if he believes he is standing up of his coach I totally support him. I seriously doubt he would stand behind the parent. Most know him and his antics well up here.

A prime example of why coaches do not belong in administration.  A principal needs to be focused on the academics of his/her school - not the athletics.  If anyone in administration should be commenting on this publicly it should either be the AD or the superintendent.  This is NOT the job of a school principal. 

Missco

March 07, 2015, 08:06:00 pm #10 Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 08:10:28 pm by Missco
Sounds like a crazy situation..

ricepig

Quote from: Missco on March 07, 2015, 08:06:00 pm
This is the craziest thing I have ever heard. Sounds like the ref cant handle the fire.

I'm more concerned with the Principal, and his stance.

Missco

I agree...The principal is out of line but most administrators feel that way about certain officials.

ricepig

Well, just the ones who are former coaches, I doubt the ones with PhD's worry about referees.

A-Good-One

The ones with PhDs don't even typically worry about sports, period.

ricepig

Quote from: Dr Chim Ritchalds on March 07, 2015, 08:38:16 pm
The ones with PhDs don't even typically worry about sports, period.

Boy, nothing gets by you.....

Missco

The ones with PhDs usually have very little common sense either.lol

Wonderdog

Quote from: Missco on March 07, 2015, 08:49:46 pm
The ones with PhDs usually have very little common sense either.lol
Seems that way sometimes doesn't it haha. Practicality escapes the mind once they get that PhD.

Ole Man River

You know what gets me is some of you thinks it ok for a parent follow this Ref out to his car yelling at him.  I can understand why he felt threatened.  Parents takes the child's game way too serious.  I'm from SW Arkansas and have seen my share of over zealous parents.  But if someone followed me to the parking lot after a game then there are only two things that will come to my mind.  1.  I'm going to have to fight my way out of here or 2. Hurry and get out of here before I get shot.

Missco

March 07, 2015, 10:48:39 pm #19 Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 10:54:18 pm by Missco
Its never ok to follow a ref to his car..Fans can act stupid. I have been guilty of that several times. However have also seen refs agitate fans and bring things on themselves. Some have an inferiority complex. They love the power and show. It is a thankless job.

spurrr

I prefer a principal that is concerned about athletics and other extra curricular activities as well as academics. I believe it contributes to the making of a well rounded student. Just wondering how many on here even know the guy?
I could care less if the guy has a Phd or a BS. If he knows how to motivate students, cares about the school and kids and demonstrates the ability to motivate teachers and kids to make the cut academically what more is needed?

sevenof400

You have just answered your own question with this:

Quote from: spurrr on March 08, 2015, 08:37:36 am
I prefer a principal that is concerned about athletics and other extra curricular activities as well as academics. I believe it contributes to the making of a well rounded student. Just wondering how many on here even know the guy?
I could care less if the guy has a Phd or a BS. If he knows how to motivate students, cares about the school and kids and demonstrates the ability to motivate teachers and kids to make the cut academically what more is needed?

Principal (and assistants) - focus on academics 
AD - focus on athletics enhancing the academic experience

With the myriad of changes occurring in education these days, a principal simply does not have the time to devote to anything athletically IF the principal is addressing the most import priorities first - academics.  Common Core, PARCC, target testing (just to mention a few items) are consuming copious amounts of time for teachers and administrators these days. 

I am NOT taking the position a school cannot raise or have a concern about officiating - it is that such an expression should be left to the athletic director (as this concern falls closer to an AD's area of responsibility).  The principal should raise his/her concerns internally to the AD and allow the AD to run with the issue.   

spurrr

I could care less about the officiating. I don't think the AAA is very concerned about it and there is nothing we can do.
My point is I want a principal, that cares enough about all aspects of the school to develop well rounded students. HB and Sdale have a handful of assistants to handle academic, discipline and other issues. The bottom line is the overall performance of the school is his responsibility. He is in charge and has to answer to the bigger dogs downtown.
I hope he cares enough to make comments to coaches, band directors, choir directors and debate team  about the way the kids perform and represent the school and our area.
If he raises a question about officiating so be it. If i do a poor job I get questioned. When was the last time the AAA posted  disciplinary actions regarding poor officiating?

It seems we will agree to disagree. We have different types of personalities we would like to see as principal.

sevenof400

Quote from: spurrr on March 08, 2015, 11:15:56 amI could care less about the officiating. I don't think the AAA is very concerned about it and there is nothing we can do. 

On that point, we are in total agreement.  And it is sad that AAA has created the sort of environment / expectation about itself that says its first, last and every concern in between revolves around money at the expense of the student/athlete. 

Quote from: spurrr on March 08, 2015, 11:15:56 am
My point is I want a principal, that cares enough about all aspects of the school to develop well rounded students. HB and Sdale have a handful of assistants to handle academic, discipline and other issues. The bottom line is the overall performance of the school is his responsibility. He is in charge and has to answer to the bigger dogs downtown.

You are describing schools that are administration heavy IMO.  Get rid of an assistant and replace them with a couple of teachers so class size can be positively impacted.   

Quote from: spurrr on March 08, 2015, 11:15:56 amThe bottom line is the overall performance of the school is his responsibility. He is in charge and has to answer to the bigger dogs downtown. I hope he cares enough to make comments to coaches, band directors, choir directors and debate team  about the way the kids perform and represent the school and our area. If he raises a question about officiating so be it.......

It seems we will agree to disagree. We have different types of personalities we would like to see as principal.

The bolded point may well be where we will eventually arrive but as I reread your point I am left to wonder what function(s) an athletic director plays in these schools. 

I do disagree on one point though:
Quote from: spurrr on March 08, 2015, 11:15:56 amWhen was the last time the AAA posted disciplinary actions regarding poor officiating?

This is not something I would want AAA to do.  If a referee did something that warranted a loss of future assignments, the fact that referee wasn't working is between that referee and the assignors.  This assumes a sufficient supply of referees exists so that no assignor would be forced to use a poorly performing referee - as assumption we know to be invalid.

Where I think you and I might agree is that AAA needs to take an active role in the assignment of games/matches.  At present, AAA does not recognize assignors as such (they are merely another official in the eyes of AAA/AOA).  The roles of assignors and mentors are in short supply and (in many cases) unfulfilled.  High school athletics deserves a better structure of support from AAA but given the insular nature of AAA, that is not likely to occur. 

Moonshiner

Quote from: spurrr on March 08, 2015, 11:15:56 am
I could care less about the officiating. I don't think the AAA is very concerned about it and there is nothing we can do.
I hope he cares enough to make comments to coaches, band directors, choir directors and debate team  about the way the kids perform and represent the school and our area.
If he raises a question about officiating so be it. If i do a poor job I get questioned. When was the last time the AAA posted  disciplinary actions regarding poor officiating?

Agreed. The Principal oversees his entire building.  I'm not A Harber fan. If there's some recruiting going on then he should get involved in that as well and try to put a stop to it.  These Coaches are constantly watched by the community.  The demands on them are unbelievable.  I think it's great for a Coach , player, or even parent to look in the stands and see that the man wearing the tie is supporting those kids and has the back of the coach. Yes the A.D. Needs to be involved, but what's wrong with the Principal being there in support.  Athletics falls in his realm of responsibility just like any other school group or function. When Bill Clinton showed up at the National Championship game I don't remember anyone telling him he had no business being there or that he should be sitting at the White House worrying about political issues. He needs to be involved and support the kids he is being paid to support.

hogfan7

I find it funny that Har-Ber is so quick to have people say they recruit.  Scott Bowlin is known all over this state for his knowledge of basketball and program success.  Does it not occur to some of you that maybe some of these kids just want to play for a top notch coach?

ricepig

Quote from: hogfan7 on March 10, 2015, 12:25:39 pm
I find it funny that Har-Ber is so quick to have people say they recruit.  Scott Bowlin is known all over this state for his knowledge of basketball and program success.  Does it not occur to some of you that maybe some of these kids just want to play for a top notch coach?

Not really.....

Moonshiner

Quote from: hogfan7 on March 10, 2015, 12:25:39 pm

Ummm. ...you are correct.  He is also known for more than just good coaching.  This ain't his first rodeo.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas