• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

When was the last time a 7A team won football and basketball title in the same year?

Started by Razorback Red, February 22, 2015, 12:39:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorback Red

I'm sure it's been done in the last 10-15 years, but I can't recall when.   

Not saying Bentonville will do it this year, but they have a good chance as long as their bigs play big and rebound. 

A-Good-One

Nope. Last time it happened in the state's largest class was 81-82 LR Hall.

Razorback Red

A-Good-One

Yeah, that doesn't even seem right. And I suppose it might not be, but it's what the Google machine tells me.

nine4me04u

HorseFeathers

A-Good-One

I think that's the same calendar year, but happened in two different school years, I thought.

Football was in December 1990, basketball in March 1990.

zebradynasty

Quote from: nine4me04u on February 22, 2015, 10:21:56 pm
Didn't Pine Bluff do it in 1990 with Basil Shabazz?

I don't believe that is correct or at least it was not with Shabazz. I don't believe he played basketball after his sophomore year.

ZoneBuster

zebradynasty

Quote from: ZoneBuster on February 25, 2015, 06:44:45 am
Did Shabazz have a championship in all 3 major sports then?

I'll have to do some checking because I do not remember him being on the 1990 team.

Burks

Shabazz, he did return his Senior season to play Basketball and the Z's we're beat by West Memphis in the Semi's.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: zebradynasty on February 22, 2015, 11:18:44 pm
Quote from: nine4me04u on February 22, 2015, 10:21:56 pm
Didn't Pine Bluff do it in 1990 with Basil Shabazz?

I don't believe that is correct or at least it was not with Shabazz. I don't believe he played basketball after his sophomore year.

Now that I think about it...You'd be right...It'd have to be a year "later" in the Winter/Spring sports to be the same school year...

urban legend2

Yeah PB won it in b'ball the calendar year 89-90...JA Fair I think is the last team to do it. Football in 1999 and basketball that following March in 2000.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: urban legend2 on February 25, 2015, 11:23:09 pm
Yeah PB won it in b'ball the calendar year 89-90...JA Fair I think is the last team to do it. Football in 1999 and basketball that following March in 2000.

They won football in 1998

urban legend2

A-Good-One

OPoraquê

Well, Razorback Red, we'll see if BHS can somehow achieve the double title this next Saturday.  Noteworthy that this same season, Ouachita Baptist apparently became the first Arkansas private college to achieve the same titles in the same sports year, albeit in conference.

Bigger trivia question: when was the last time an Arkansas big school won football, boy's basketball and baseball state titles in the same season/school year?  (Don't worry, I won't add any other sport; those are the three "flagship" sports for the three seasons school is in session...I'm just curious how often this has been done in the Arkansas high school ranks?)

DerekOxford

Quote from: OPoraquê on March 10, 2015, 12:55:42 pm
Well, Razorback Red, we'll see if BHS can somehow achieve the double title this next Saturday.  Noteworthy that this same season, Ouachita Baptist apparently became the first Arkansas private college to achieve the same titles in the same sports year, albeit in conference.

Bigger trivia question: when was the last time an Arkansas big school won football, boy's basketball and baseball state titles in the same season/school year?  (Don't worry, I won't add any other sport; those are the three "flagship" sports for the three seasons school is in session...I'm just curious how often this has been done in the Arkansas high school ranks?)

Fayetteville has gotten close a number of times in the past decade.

2007-08: Football title, baseball title, basketball loses in semifinals to Catholic (eventual winner)
2008-09: Basketball title, baseball title, football loses in first round
2012-13: Football title, baseball title, basketball loses in state finals to NLR

OPoraquê

I thought you guys were close, Derek.

That's what's so amazing...Arkansas certainly isn't the smallest state in population now.  But even with far less schools than, say, Texas, Missouri or Tennessee, a "trifecta" in those sports (or even football/boy's basketball the same school year) just doesn't happen that often at either high school or college, unless it's at a private school with the "rep" of say, Las Vegas Bishop Gorman.

Goodness, imagine if a place such as Denver, D/FW or Houston won the Super Bowl, the NBA Championship and the World Series all in one year...(don't think it's ever happened in that time frame before).

HorseFeathers

It's never happened...Expanding it to a "metro" area...LR Metro schools have done it 3 times. 1981(Hall(Basketballball), Sylvan Hills(Baseball), Centra0(Football)l), 1978(Parkview(BSKB), Sylvan Hills(BB), Central(FB)), and 75(Central(BaskB), Mills(BB), Central(FB)....Baseball is the monkey wrench sport in this equation...

OPoraquê

Razorback Red, it's awfully good to see Bentonville make the BASEBALL s c game now after both football and boy's basketball.  That's a rare feat in itself, even though they won't finish as champions in all three sports.  Go, tigers!

mack

Quote from: HF on March 11, 2015, 08:30:26 pm

It's never happened...Expanding it to a "metro" area...LR Metro schools have done it 3 times. 1981(Hall(Basketballball), Sylvan Hills(Baseball), Centra0(Football)l), 1978(Parkview(BSKB), Sylvan Hills(BB), Central(FB)), and 75(Central(BaskB), Mills(BB), Central(FB)....Baseball is the monkey wrench sport in this equation...

NLR '71/ Basketball and Football.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas