• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3A State Tournament Scores

Started by Brian G, February 25, 2019, 07:27:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogdiggity

Quote from: Missco on March 03, 2019, 11:01:27 pm
Those refs were not from NEA but had no business giving him the 2nd T. He was talking to his players. It is quite obvious that most officials want to be seen and exhort their authority. It is like a lot of them have an inferiority complex.

Same ref told two of the Ashdown players the night before that Ashdown wasn't very good.

Maverick

I have no dog in either team. I was right next to the Ashdown bench. The assistant coach received a bench warning because he was up yelling. Head coach did not deserve the 1st tech. He was yelling at his players and ref though he was yelling at him and gave him a tech. However, he got the 2nd technical because he wouldn't quit arguing about the foul call. They were arguing that the foul was on the floor, which it was. However, they were in Bonus so Osceola got to shoot 1 & 1, which he made the first one, therefore got to shoot the 2nd one, made it, and then shot the technical shots. He would not quit arguing that and the other ref gave him the 2nd technical. I really hate it for Ashdowns players, but he should have known in that situation that he was on thin ice and the way the refs were calling, they would T him up a 2nd time. Got to give credit to the Ashdown players though. They did not get their heads down and they fought even harder and was just the better team when it came down to the crucial moments. Good luck to Ashdown in the Championship!

Wheres your Defense

I coached with Coach Smith for over 15 years and watched him coach about 30 years.  Ive never seen him tossed out of a basketball game until now.  He is a great coach and even more a great friend and Mentor.
In my opinion, if a referee tosses anyone out of a Semifinal game in state tournament in the manor as he tossed Coach Smith, he does not need to ref at that level ever again.  I wish they would look at his Coaching Career in Basketball and the AAA let him coach in the finals.  This guy should be in Hall of Fame!! 

OB11

Is he even allowed (by rule) to be in the arena during the game?

BigFoot

I played basketball for Smith for 4 years, and both of my brothers played for him for 4 years each. He is a great coach and an even better person. Never seen him lose his temper at all and never seen him ejected. Sounds like officials were trying everything they could to screw Ashdown out of a win!

Ctucker

Quote from: Lumberjackfan1978 on March 03, 2019, 10:51:34 pm

that's anywhere anymore! And why don't they have to take a physical!lol I don't understand how some of them think they can run up and down the court with young men as big as some of them are!

hogdiggity

I was told AAA won't overturn on appeal without video of incident.  Therein lies the problem because AAA doesn't allow video of Playoffs by rule.  They could then hold that over the coach also if you come up with video.

AAA needs a major makeover

Missco

March 04, 2019, 10:59:54 am #257 Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 11:02:50 am by Missco
Every coach and administrator present at the game thinks he got screwed but maybe a few. I agree that the AAA needs a major overhaul but it will never happen.

OB11

Quote from: hogdiggity on March 04, 2019, 10:47:21 am
I was told AAA won't overturn on appeal without video of incident.  Therein lies the problem because AAA doesn't allow video of Playoffs by rule.  They could then hold that over the coach also if you come up with video.

AAA needs a major makeover

Can't teams film games? Couldn't they just send in the game film?

hogdiggity

It is just new incentive for the Panthers.  They want to win it for him and they want to avenge the loss in regionals to DC, which was without Wilkerson.  #freecoachsmith

teeheec1978

Quote from: OB11 on March 04, 2019, 11:14:06 am

I actually video for Ashdown but there is nothing on there that will probably help. I only video the game is actually going on therefore I didn't get all the BS from the ref. AAA is joke and needs to completely overhauled. The way the game was called I might have been arrested if I was coaching.

Ru96gg

March 04, 2019, 10:32:59 pm #261 Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 10:41:06 pm by Ru96gg
I’m a DC fan that stayed to watch all the finals games. I am glad DC did well and enjoyed watching them put an entire game together.  In the game of Osceola vs Ashdown....I was a bit surprised and shocked with the referees and their decision to remove the Ashdown coach. I saw the warning telling the coach to stay in the coaching box. However when he was given his first tech he was addressing one of his players on the court and not the referee. When he received his tech he was understandably upset. A few moments later he was standing near the bench talking to one or more of the players sitting toward the end it and was given a 2nd tech removing him from the court. When we played them in the regional finals there were some calls both coaches disagreed with but never once did I see the Ashdown coach get very loud or disrespectful with the referees. I feel he was removed without cause. I hope DC does well against them in the tournament. Fouls and free throws will play a very important part of the finals. I do however, feel Ashdown’s coach was unnecessarily removed from the semi finals game. And in this case ( as far as the coach goes) I’m on Ashdown’s side. If we are to raise our children to do the right thing and be good sportsmen, we need to admit when wrongs are done, to set the example. Therefore, it is my opinion the coach was wrongly removed from their last game and ultimately, the finals. Yes, I want DC to win. But, in the same breath, I do not want one to be unfairly punished. I hope the refs are better in the finals for the benefit of both teams and their players

bluegrassboy75

Quote from: OB11 on March 04, 2019, 09:30:13 am
Is he even allowed (by rule) to be in the arena during the game?

Per the AAA Handbook:

NOTE 2: Ejected coaches may not be present at the next comparable event venue or perform any
coaching duties during the comparable event while serving the ejection penalty.

OB11

Quote from: bluegrassboy75 on March 05, 2019, 09:43:00 am
Per the AAA Handbook:

NOTE 2: Ejected coaches may not be present at the next comparable event venue or perform any

Man, that is tough...he's got to be sick over that I would imagine.

KOJACK

Quote from: OB11 on March 04, 2019, 11:14:06 am
The aaa won't overturn an appeal for any reason...at least that was their stance in football. They told our Coaches that the official would have to overturn the call on an ejection. And the Coaches had video evidence and they wouldn't look at it.

BICMUSTANG4LIFE

Quote from: OB11 on March 05, 2019, 10:40:01 am
Man, that is tough...he's got to be sick over that I would imagine.

OB11  I know it does not compare to missing the State tournament.  But I would assume Manila's coach will have to miss the 1st game of the season next year??  He was tossed in their last Regional game

Just curious if that rolls over

hogdiggity

Quote from: KOJACK on March 05, 2019, 10:56:15 am
The aaa won't overturn an appeal for any reason...at least that was their stance in football. They told our Coaches that the official would have to overturn the call on an ejection. And the Coaches had video evidence and they wouldn't look at it.

They actually stated if there was video they would use it.  The team film doesn't cover show the bench area.  Cell phone video of the incident was looked for but nobody was found to have it.  The AAA actually states that no video is to be taken (with exception of team film) at playoffs.  I know at volleyball state they were making people put up cell phones/ipads/cameras, using the threat that they would penalize the team. 

There is a lot more to the story of the appeal process that has gone on the last couple of days, but it looks like he will miss the game.

OB11

Quote from: BICMUSTANG4LIFE on March 05, 2019, 12:06:42 pm
OB11  I know it does not compare to missing the State tournament.  But I would assume Manila's coach will have to miss the 1st game of the season next year??  He was tossed in their last Regional game

I imagine it does, but who knows? I'm sure this has happened before.

bluegrassboy75

Quote from: BICMUSTANG4LIFE on March 05, 2019, 12:06:42 pm

Yes, it is suppose to roll over.  It will be up to the school administrators to make sure this happens.  It also happened to Brookland's boys coach in Regionals.

OB11

Quote from: bluegrassboy75 on March 05, 2019, 09:43:00 am
Per the AAA Handbook:

If you wanted to get really technical with wording...I would argue that a state championship game is not a comparable event. It would be transcendent of any regular season or state tournament game. I'm sure that would not fly with the AAA but beats doing nothing.

hogdiggity

Quote from: OB11 on March 08, 2019, 09:06:14 am
If you wanted to get really technical with wording...I would argue that a state championship game is not a comparable event. It would be transcendent of any regular season or state tournament game. I'm sure that would not fly with the AAA but beats doing nothing.

Now that it is over I will say this.  The AAA threatened to cancel the game if Ashdown's administration pushed them any harder on it

OB11

Quote from: hogdiggity on March 08, 2019, 09:18:04 am
Now that it is over I will say this.  The AAA threatened to cancel the game if Ashdown's administration pushed them any harder on it

I would have called them on their bluff and pushed. I've got no dog in this fight whatsoever, but as a coach I couldn't imagine having to miss a state championship game. Could possibly be a once in a lifetime opportunity. But at the end of the day, Ashdown won, so water under the bridge I suppose.

Football4ever

I'll say this. AAA has no guts. They did not do the right thing in this situation. Anybody who was there knows that Coach Smith didn't warrant an ejection. Referee Selby should be ashamed of himself and never be allowed to referee high school games again. He believes that everybody is there to see him. I just want Selby to answer the question what did he do to warrant the second technical. If you are going to look to throw coaches out or to give technicals in state tournament games when emotions are high, then you shouldn't referee. Congrats to Coach Smith and Ashdown.

Former, Coach Jacobs

Quote from: Football4ever on March 08, 2019, 10:11:14 am
I'll say this. AAA has no guts. They did not do the right thing in this situation. Anybody who was there knows that Coach Smith didn't warrant an ejection. Referee Selby should be ashamed of himself and never be allowed to referee high school games again. He believes that everybody is there to see him. I just want Selby to answer the question what did he do to warrant the second technical. If you are going to look to throw coaches out or to give technicals in state tournament games when emotions are high, then you shouldn't referee. Congrats to Coach Smith and Ashdown.

Selby or Selvy? Selvy is the huge ref that was calling at the 3A tourney. He has a quick trigger, but I think for the most part he's going to end up being a really good ref.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: hogdiggity on March 08, 2019, 09:18:04 am

Can you imagine how much more flak the AAA would have caught for canceling a State Championship game, over an ejection appeal?

OB11

Quote from: HorseFeathers on March 08, 2019, 10:52:48 am
Can you imagine how much more flak the AAA would have caught for canceling a State Championship game, over an ejection appeal?

They pushed the 3A playoffs back a few years ago because a school appealed an illegible player ruling. I think it was Lamar IIRC? Not quite the same situation, but it wouldn't be unprecedented.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: OB11 on March 08, 2019, 10:56:52 am
They pushed the 3A playoffs back a few years ago because a school appealed an illegible player ruling. I think it was Lamar IIRC? Not quite the same situation, but it wouldn't be unprecedented.

Courts made them push it back that year I believe

OB11

Quote from: HorseFeathers on March 08, 2019, 10:57:49 am
Courts made them push it back that year I believe

I actually was just coming back to add in that it was the football playoffs they pushed back. Not basketball.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: OB11 on March 08, 2019, 10:58:28 am
I actually was just coming back to add in that it was the football playoffs they pushed back. Not basketball.

I knew what you meant, but others may not have

KOJACK

Quote from: OB11 on March 08, 2019, 10:09:30 am
I would have called them on their bluff and pushed. I've got no dog in this fight whatsoever, but as a coach I couldn't imagine having to miss a state championship game. Could possibly be a once in a lifetime opportunity. But at the end of the day, Ashdown won, so water under the bridge I suppose.
From what I've heard he is retiring after this year as well...gotta sting

hogdiggity

Quote from: OB11 on March 08, 2019, 10:09:30 am

I don't think you take the chance of punishing the kids for the corruption of the AAA.  I do not think it is over, corrections to the operations are going to be pushed for.  I wonder how the AAA was founded and is funded? 

KOJACK

Quote from: hogdiggity on March 08, 2019, 11:32:46 am
I don't think you take the chance of punishing the kids for the corruption of the AAA.  I do not think it is over, corrections to the operations are going to be pushed for.  I wonder how the AAA was founded and is funded?
I always thought if a few schools would part from the aaa and start their own association that many more would follow. aaa is a joke. The little bit of work they did do, they have put that on maxpreps.

jay nelvin

Quote from: KOJACK on March 08, 2019, 11:38:26 am
I always thought if a few schools would part from the aaa and start their own association that many more would follow. aaa is a joke. The little bit of work they did do, they have put that on maxpreps.
I would back this 1000%!

Bearcatpride

Just curious if anyone knows who all made the all tournament team?

Ru96gg

I was wondering the same thing...along with all state selection.  Was thinking they would post on AAA site Monday or Tuesday. If anyone knows I'd like to hear about it

Brian G

All tournament team in usually released after that classification has finished their championships.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas