• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

State tournament at Osceola High School 2/26 to 3/2

Started by 501Arkansas, February 23, 2019, 02:54:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Basketball13

501Arkansas

Jimbo Morphis

February 27, 2019, 08:01:24 pm #52 Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 08:08:14 pm by Oldman
Quote from: ISU7 on February 27, 2019, 12:45:02 pm
Drew got all the calls yesterday Oldman. Colts free throw shooting cause then the game. But so much for that now you can really cheer Drew on with the defending champs Mcgehee deciding too freeze the ball on one of the nicest days we had here in NEA in awhile and basically cause them the game. ;D ;D
WHAT? May be the worst post ever and that says a lot. Did Drew Central get the calls or did Crest  lose  the game at the line? Have never cheered for Drew Central, don't believe in the conference thing.  Hate SEC, SEC chant when Hogs suck. What does a nice day have to do with anything? Normally enjoy your posts. You must have been working overtime.

beach bum

February 27, 2019, 08:24:29 pm #53 Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 08:37:40 pm by beach bum
Quote from: ISU7 on February 27, 2019, 12:47:22 pm
501 Arkansas give the soccer mom aka beach Bum a break. ;D

I'm not sure why liking a variety of sports constitutes as an insult? I literally watch anything from football(try taking a sack from a 270 defensive end), basketball(try getting a single shot off on Kawhi Leonard), hockey(try get checked into the boards from defender), baseball(try hitting a 95 mph pitch), track (try running one mile at 4 minutes 40 seconds which is the record marathon pace), and soccer(try dropping a 60 yard pass with your foot on a dime to a guy running away from you) . Heck, I even watch rugby on some Saturday afternoons of teams in England. So, again I am not sure what watching & knowing the little details/nuances of a variety of sports is an insult?

Go to the New England Patriots social media page, then go to the Golden State Warriors page, followed by Real Madrid's page and notice the staggering difference in followers

The last franchise has six times as much popularity than the other two combined so you can mock it all you want, but its not based upon reality. You can create your own reality if you would like though thinking that certain sports are garbage compared to others. I however appreciate them all for the certain skill sets & physical tools that they require to be successful in each individual one.

HorseFeathers

Is triggered the appropriate term here?

Fwiw I've tried to watch soccer, and if more small schools played I might be more interested....but at this point it's not my cup of tea..

Ru96gg

Hoping for lots of updates and scores tomorrow. Last minute changes at work will prevent my coming. There should be some great games tomorrow. Best of luck to everyone. To my team, DC, I'll be cheering you on as I listen to the broadcast on the radio. I'll also check updates throughout the day on ALL games. Hope to see everyone Saturday as I'll watch every game should DC make it through. Again, thank you to everyone with the updates. Folks throughout the state check in to see how their teams are doing.

501Arkansas

Day 3 should be a great one. Hope my Noles can pull this one off. Good luck to everyone that's playing today. And I hope every player leaves today's game injury free. Good luck!!!!

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: 501Arkansas on February 28, 2019, 09:46:55 am
Day 3 should be a great one. Hope my Noles can pull this one off. Good luck to everyone that’s playing today. And I hope every player leaves today’s game injury free. Good luck!!!!
Good luck 501

KOJACK

Quote from: 501Arkansas on February 28, 2019, 09:46:55 am
Day 3 should be a great one. Hope my Noles can pull this one off. Good luck to everyone that's playing today. And I hope every player leaves today's game injury free. Good luck!!!!
Y'all better guard #11...if you do you should be fine.

501Arkansas

501Arkansas

501Arkansas

501Arkansas

501Arkansas

teh29

February 28, 2019, 10:09:52 pm #64 Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 10:30:36 pm by teh29
Managed to catch the HA/Ashdown girls game and the Osc/central game tonight.  Couple thoughts..

1. First time in the new arena.  It's an amazing facility.  Congrats to Osceola on that.  It was needed and deserved. 9/10... Wouldn't hurt to try to add more concession stands..  Only having one makes for a long wait for some nachos lol.

2. ABSOLUTELY entertaining game between the young ladies of ashdown/harding. Ashdown made it interesting down the stretch.  From what I seen,  the press was effective,  coach should have put it in effect earlier in the game.  Their athleticism showed and was an advantage down the stretch,  but Harding had too much of a lead to overcome.  Fun game to watch. 

2a. There is a young lady from Harding,  who down the stretch,  shot lights out from deep.  I believe her name is Logan (Harding fans feel free to correct me)..  But she hit SEVERAL big 3s in the second half (at least going 5 for 6 or better) , and to me was one of the biggest differences in this game. Every time ashdown closed in..  She hits a big shot to maintain a lead.  Congrats to the ladies from Harding on advancing.

3. Osceola looked good tonight.  Pressure defense. Good press.  And spears played an amazing game. Another fun one to watch. These two games are what the state tourney is all about. 

3a. Even more entertaining,  and definitely added to the atmosphere of the game..  The central/osceola cheerleaders.  Cheerleaders don't always get enough credit.  These two squads went at each other all night,  almost as much as the young men.  All in all,  great games to watch.

4. !!!! The referees of tonight's games.  Once again,  I only seen the 2. BUT,  kudos to the officiating crews from both games.  I felt like OVERALL,  the games were called evenly,  fairly, and all officials done a great jobs in such high stakes games.  There were a couple of calls in both games that were missed,  as well as a couple 50/50 calls that could have went either way.  But as a group and as an overall evaluation,  great job by both groups tonight.  Also, for the first time that I've ever witnessed,  a woman officiated the osc/central game.  Not only did she hold her own,  but she made some great calls. She even got on her whistle once or twice while the other officials didn't. 

5. Osceola police dept. / Mississippi county pd for dealing with the cold etc to flag traffic/parking and assist where need be.  Police officers are another group that don't get much praise,  even though it's earned Alot more than its given. 

So,  amazing facility.  Osceola seems to be managing the tournament well.  And thanks to the cheerleaders and the officials for ENHANCING the tournament experience for a casual fan.. Instead of being distractions or taking away from such an important tournament.  Hope I can make it to more games. 

All fans I encountered were polite,  respectful,  and seemed to be enjoying the tournament.  As well as the helpful police officers and Osceola staff.  Great job to all included/involved.

Overall experience..  Def 9/10... Osceola..  Open a second or third concession stand lol. 

501Arkansas

Quote from: teh29 on February 28, 2019, 10:09:52 pm
Managed to catch the HA/Ashdown girls game and the Osc/central game tonight.  Couple thoughts..

1. First time in the new arena.  It's an amazing facility.  Congrats to Osceola on that.  It was needed and deserved. 9/10... Wouldn't hurt to try to add more concession stands..  Only having one makes for a long wait for some nachos lol.

2. ABSOLUTELY entertaining game between the young ladies of ashdown/harding. Ashdown made it interesting down the stretch.  From what I seen,  the press was effective,  coach should have put it in effect earlier in the game.  Their athleticism showed and was an advantage down the stretch,  but Harding had too much of a lead to overcome.  Fun game to watch. 

2a. There is a young lady from Harding,  who down the stretch,  shot lights out from deep.  I believe her name is Logan (Harding fans feel free to correct me)..  But she hit SEVERAL big 3s in the second half (at least going 5 for 6 or better) , and to me was one of the biggest differences in this game.  Congrats to the ladies from Harding on advancing.

3. Osceola looked good tonight.  Pressure defense. Good press.  And spears played an amazing game. Another fun one to watch. These two games are what the state tourney is all about. 

3a. Even more entertaining,  and definitely added to the atmosphere of the game..  The central/osceola cheerleaders.  Cheerleaders don't always get enough credit.  These two squads went at each other all night,  almost as much as the young men.  All in all,  great games to watch.

4. !!!! The referees of tonight's games.  Once again,  I only seen the 2. BUT,  kudos to the officiating crews from both games.  I felt like OVERALL,  the games were called evenly,  fairly, and all officials done a great jobs in such high stakes games.  There were a couple of calls in both games that were missed,  as well as a couple 50/50 calls that could have went either way.  But as a group and as an overall evaluation,  great job by both groups tonight.  Also, for the first time that I've ever witnessed,  a woman officiated the osc/central game.  Not only did she hold her own,  but she made some great calls. She even got on her whistle once or twice while the other officials didn't. 

5. Osceola police dept. / Mississippi county pd for dealing with the cold etc to flag traffic/parking and assist where need be.  Police officers are another group that don't get much praise,  even though it's earned Alot more than its given. 

So,  amazing facility.  Osceola seems to be managing the tournament well.  And thanks to the cheerleaders and the officials for ENHANCING the tournament experience for a cause fan.. Instead of being distractions or taking away from such an important tournament.  Hope I can make it to more games. 

All fans I encountered were polite,  respectful,  and seemed to be enjoying the tournament.  As well as the helpful police officers and Osceola staff.  Great job to all included/involved.

Overall experience..  Def 9/10... Osceola..  Open a second or third concession stand lol.
Lol thanks man yeah we do need to add another concession stand lol

501Arkansas

February 28, 2019, 11:30:02 pm #66 Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 10:20:20 pm by 501Arkansas
Quote from: 501Arkansas on February 24, 2019, 12:43:49 pm
Boys

Tuesday, Feb. 26

Game 1: Drew Central (1st 4) vs. Rivercrest (4th 3), 2:30 p.m.
Game 2: Harding Academy (1st 3) vs. McGehee (4th 4), 5:30 p.m.
Game 3: Baptist Prep (1st 2) vs. Elkins (4th 1), 8:30 p.m.

Wednesday, Feb. 27

Game 4: Valley Springs (1st 1) vs. Fountain Lake (4th 2), 2:30 p.m.
Game 5: Waldron (2nd 1) vs. Booneville (3rd 2), 5:30 p.m.
Game 6: Mayflower (2nd 2) vs. Charleston (3rd 1), 8:30 p.m.

Thursday, Feb. 28

Game 7: Ashdown (2nd 4) vs. Tuckerman (3rd 3), 2:30 p.m.
Game 8: Osceola (2nd 3) vs. Helena-West Helena (3rd 4), 5:30 p.m.
Game 9: Drew Central vs. Booneville, 8:30 p.m.

Friday, March 1

Game 10: Harding Academy vs. Mayflower,2:30 p.m.
Game 11: Baptist Prep vs. Ashdown , 5:30 p.m.
Game 12: Valley Springs vs. Osceola, 8:30 p.m.

Saturday, March 2

Game 13: Drew Central vs. Mayflower 1:30 p.m.
Game 14: Ashdown vs. Osceola 7:30 p.m.

Girls

Tuesday, Feb. 26

Game 1: Fouke (1st 4) vs. Tuckerman (4th 3), 1 p.m.
Game 2: Hoxie (1st 3) vs. Helena-West Helena (4th 4), 4 p.m.
Game 3: Central Ark. Christian (1st 2) vs. Lincoln (4th 1), 7 p.m.

Wednesday, Feb. 27

Game 4: Mountain View (1st 1) vs. Two Rivers (4th 2), 1 p.m.
Game 5: Valley Springs (2nd 1) vs. Atkins (3rd 2), 4 p.m.
Game 6: Lamar (2nd 2) vs. Charleston (3rd 1), 7 p.m.

Thursday, Feb. 28

Game 7: Centerpoint (2nd 4) vs. Trumann (3rd 3), 1 p.m.
Game 8: Harding Academy (2nd 3) vs. Ashdown (3rd 3), 4 p.m.
Game 9: Fouke vs. Atkins, 7 p.m.

Friday, March 1

Game 10: Hoxie vs. Charleston , 1 p.m.
Game 11: Lincoln vs. Trumann, 4 p.m.
Game 12: Mountain View vs. Harding Academy, 7 p.m.

Saturday, March 2

Game 13: Atkins vs. Charleston noon
Game 14: Trumann vs. Mountain View, 6 p.m.
Update

1-Adam-12

March 01, 2019, 08:12:55 am #67 Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 08:31:50 am by 1-Adam-12
I wish to say hats off to all in Osceola for a well run tournament and great hospitality. Very nice arena that you should be proud of.

Nice touch from the PA guy going into the crowd for their input.

The game:  Yes the manner in which it was decided was questionable. That said, we had an off night shooting and did a few little things wrong that cost us possessions.  DC's defense has to be credited for a lot of that.

And yet we still went into the final minute with a chance to win that game and that credit goes to our defense.  Things just didn't work out in the end.

We will have a very hard time replicating that next season.  You don't lose seven seniors the caliber of ours and expect to do this all over again.  That said, our remaining boys will work hard and I think will still be very competitive.

And also a shout out to all the schools that were gracious enough to host us for our practices.  Manila, Rivercrest, ASUMS, you went above and beyond and we thank you.

Another shout out to the Atkins girls team and cheerleaders for joining our entrance line.  You have an amazing group of fans. I hope the Lady Red Devils go all the way.

Best of luck to all who remain.

It has been an amazing year.  We silenced a lot of doubters who didn't think such a thing could happen in Booneville.  Thanks to all who had a part.

See you over on the softball board.  We have a game vs. Jessieville later today and I expect to be home in time for first pitch.

athletic supporter

Wow! I was blown away by the atmosphere and arena last night in Osceola. From the staff, volunteers, security, and just local fans, EVERYONE was helpful and courteous. I've been to several state tournament over the years and this one is run as well as any I've been able to attend. You should be proud Osceola!!!

I saw something I've never seen at a state tournament that I think made the experience much more personal and fun. The announcer going into the stands to interview fans at the half of the Fouke/Atkins game was FUN. When they turned the music down to let the Red Devil Rowdies sing the songs was something I enjoyed. It really helps to connect with the students. Kudos again Osceola!!!

slawdawg millionaire

Here are the updated scores and schedules. Sorry I've been a little lax on this.

Class 3A tournament
At Osceola
(Seeding in parentheses)
Boys
Tuesday, Feb. 26

Drew Central 73, Rivercrest 65, OT
Harding Academy 64, McGehee 62, OT
Baptist Prep 83, Elkins 69
Wednesday, Feb. 27
Valley Springs 64, Fountain Lake 55
Booneville 84, Waldron 72
Mayflower 76, Charleston 67
Thursday, Feb. 28
Ashdown 66, Tuckerman 48
Osceola 59, Helena-West Helena 50
Drew Central 45, Booneville 44
Friday, March 1
Game 10: Harding Academy (1st 3) vs. Mayflower (2nd 2), 2:30 p.m.
Game 11: Baptist Prep (1st 2) vs. Ashdown (2nd 4), 5:30 p.m.
Game 12: Valley Springs (1st 1) vs. Osceola (2nd 3), 8:30 p.m.
Saturday, March 2
Game 13: Drew Central (1st 4) vs. Game 10 winner, 1:30 p.m.
Game 14: Game 11 winner vs. Game 12 winner, 7:30 p.m.
Girls
Tuesday, Feb. 26

Fouke 51, Tuckerman 47
Hoxie 51, Helena-West Helena 18
Lincoln 48, Central Ark. Christian 47, OT
Wednesday, Feb. 27
Mountain View 62, Two Rivers 41
Atkins 56, Valley Springs 41
Charleston 68, Lamar 53
Thursday, Feb. 28
Trumann 50, Centerpoint 46
Harding Academy 58, Ashdown 54
Atkins 67, Fouke 58
Friday, March 1
Game 10: Hoxie (1st 3) vs. Charleston (3rd 1), 1 p.m.
Game 11: Lincoln (4th 1) vs. Trumann (3rd 3), 4 p.m.
Game 12: Mountain View (1st 1) vs. Harding Academy (2nd 3), 7 p.m.
Saturday, March 2
Game 13: Atkins (3rd 2) vs. Game 10 winner, noon
Game 14: Game 11 winner vs. Game 12 winner, 6 p.m.

501Arkansas

Quote from: athletic supporter on March 01, 2019, 09:35:27 am
Wow! I was blown away by the atmosphere and arena last night in Osceola. From the staff, volunteers, security, and just local fans, EVERYONE was helpful and courteous. I've been to several state tournament over the years and this one is run as well as any I've been able to attend. You should be proud Osceola!!!

I saw something I've never seen at a state tournament that I think made the experience much more personal and fun. The announcer going into the stands to interview fans at the half of the Fouke/Atkins game was FUN. When they turned the music down to let the Red Devil Rowdies sing the songs was something I enjoyed. It really helps to connect with the students. Kudos again Osceola!!!
+1 atmosphere going to be crazy again tonight!!!

501Arkansas

501Arkansas

So far today's results are

Charleston60
Hoxie 42
Final

Mayflower 58
Harding Academy 54
Final

Schedule for the rest of the night

Lincoln vs Trumann 4:00pm

Baptist Prep vs Ashdown 5:30pm

Mountain View vs Harding Academy 7:00pm

Osceola vs Valley Springs 8:30

501Arkansas

501Arkansas

501Arkansas

501Arkansas

Quote from: Ctucker on February 24, 2019, 06:12:09 pm
I think in boys it will be Prep against HA all private school finals!
Terrible picks lol

501Arkansas

Quote from: 501Arkansas on March 01, 2019, 03:58:55 pm
So far today's results are

Charleston60
Hoxie 42
Final

Mayflower 58
Harding Academy 54
Final

Schedule for the rest of the night

Lincoln vs Trumann 4:00pm

Baptist Prep vs Ashdown 5:30pm

Mountain View vs Harding Academy 7:00pm

Osceola vs Valley Springs 8:30
Trumann beats Lincoln

Ashdown beats Baptist Prep

501Arkansas

501Arkansas

Wow 3 private schools lost on the same night!!! I didn't see this coming...

Radiotalker

two #1 seeds go down today. Will there be a 3rd?

501Arkansas

Valley Springs 13
Osceola 15

End of the first quarter

501Arkansas

501Arkansas

Quote from: 501Arkansas on March 01, 2019, 09:17:45 pm
Osceola 31
Valley Springs 33

Halftime
If we hit our free throws it'll be a different story right now

501Arkansas

Quote from: 501Arkansas on March 01, 2019, 09:20:26 pm
If we hit our free throws it'll be a different story right now
Valley is 10/10 from the line Osceola is 8/13 from the line

KellyGreen

We've not hit 10/10 in a half all season, trust me.

501Arkansas

Osceola 45
Valley Springs 47

End of the 3rd quarter

501Arkansas

Osceola has missed 11 free throws. Osceola winning 50-47 5:53 left in the game

501Arkansas

RamblinRazorWreck

Congrats to Ashdown!  They played a nearly flawless game and gritted out a great win!

And many thanks to Issac McBride for the last 4 years...  loved every second of it!

501Arkansas

The final for games schedule for tomorrow girls and boys

Girls: Atkins vs. Charleston 12pm

Boys: Drew Central vs Mayflower 1:30

Girls: Trumann vs Mountain View 6pm

Boys: Osceola vs Ashdown 7:30pm

1-Adam-12

An amazing tournament especially on the boys side.  Four quarterfinal games decided by a total of 9 points. 

I think we got the top 8 boys teams in the quarters and if we rematched the games we could quite easily have four different winners.

3A has turned out to be the most competitive classification as far as the state tournament is concerned.

Who would have thought that?

birddawg1986

Ru96gg

March 02, 2019, 02:31:36 am #93 Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 02:34:30 am by Ru96gg
I’m heading out at 7:30 am.  I want to have plenty of time to get there so I can see all four games.  My wife was going to come with me until I told her we’d get home in the very early hours of Sunday morning. All the games should be exciting. Free throws are going to be crucial for every team at this point in the completion. I’m looking forward to some great ball games.  It’s a shame I couldn’t get away to watch all the Friday games. Thank goodness for all the posts keeping all who are following the tournament updated on all the action.

ISU7

Outstanding job on running the tournament by the Osceola administration, staff, volunteers, police and the hospitality room , WOW!!!!!.everyone that work there so kind and even came to the table to ask was everything ok and picked up the empty plates, cups, cans, etc. where else do they do that at? Thanks for the kindness you showed especially towards me the person that  so many Seminoles fans despise, lol  ;D ;D but it's all in fun and games. Shout out to my fearless Friday foe 501 Arkansas.  Again nice job Osceola. Good luck tonight vs Ashdown, should be a classic. 8)

teachers pet

On the boys side, state pretty well represented, west,central,south and northeast!

501Arkansas

Quote from: ISU7 on March 02, 2019, 08:15:23 am
Outstanding job on running the tournament by the Osceola administration, staff, volunteers, police and the hospitality room , WOW!!!!!.everyone that work there so kind and even came to the table to ask was everything ok and picked up the empty plates, cups, cans, etc. where else do they do that at? Thanks for the kindness you showed especially towards me the person that  so many Seminoles fans despise, lol  ;D ;D but it's all in fun and games. Shout out to my fearless Friday foe 501 Arkansas.  Again nice job Osceola. Good luck tonight vs Ashdown, should be a classic. 8)
+1 thanks man!!! These young men are balling lol hope we can pull another one off and head to the Championship game for the first time since we won it back to back in early 2000. This going to be another classic. If we hit our free throws I like our chances. Good luck to Osceola and Ashdown!!!!!

birddawg1986

Great gym and Osceola has done a tremendous job on hosting the state tournament. Osceola has some of the nicest folks around. They have made you feel welcome, and accommodate your needs. Good job OHS.

501Arkansas

Quote from: birddawg1986 on March 02, 2019, 11:21:34 am
Great gym and Osceola has done a tremendous job on hosting the state tournament. Osceola has some of the nicest folks around. They have made you feel welcome, and accommodate your needs. Good job OHS.
+1 thanks man!! Osceola has done a great job

501Arkansas

Atkins 56
Charleston 37
Final

Congratulations to the Atkins Lady Red Devils on punching their ticket to the championship game. Congratulations to the Charleston Lady Tigers on a outstanding season!!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas